Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life Hostile Intent

The Hostile Intent Website has the debut release of this Half-Life modification. Here's their description of the mod's focus on realism to give a sense of what this is all about: "Hostile Intent is all about realism, covering realistic weapon damage, realistic missions and mission stories. Hostile Intent gives the player the feeling he's actually there. Be it a nuclear submarine, an embassy raid or a military base in the middle east, each and every one of them is modeled with a level of detail that a lot of other games/mods/tc's don't have."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Realism? What for? Jan 1, 2004, 22:47 mag

Cause of course you do tons of special ops missions involving terrorists, hostages, bombs, and whatnot in real life; why do that in games? </sarcasm>

So join the military, yo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Realism? What for? Jan 1, 2004, 14:01 Zyrxil

Cause of course you do tons of special ops missions involving terrorists, hostages, bombs, and whatnot in real life; why do that in games? </sarcasm>

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 14:02.

14. Re: Realism? What for? Jan 1, 2004, 13:48 MuzixMon

Cygnus, I couldn't agree with you more! SCREW REALISM! I'll take Quake over Tom Clancy shit anyday. I also play games for escape therefore escape=fantasy NOT reality!

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

13. Re: Realism? What for? Jan 1, 2004, 10:09 Jamil

If I want realism, I'll wake up every day, get out of bed, do and go through the things I already do and have done for a long time. I don't play games for realism. I play them for escape and entertainment. I wish that game and mod-makers would realize that 99% of ALL gamers feel pretty much the same way as I do. It's one thing to try to make a game as realistic as possible given a certain setting, but still realize that the player is the (super)hero of the story and modify the game accordingly. Trying to make a game that perfectly mimics real-world physics/situations/scenery is just stupid. YOUR perceptions of time/space/physics are going to be different from MY perceptions of the same things (laws of physics notwithstanding). Just look at mbmonk's comments for proof.

No, I haven't played it. I don't trust Valve for trying to turn game software into a pay-for-play utility. It may not be at that level presently, but it will be in the future if you continue to support applications like Steam.

Second, "modeled with a level of detail that a lot of other games/mods/tc's don't have" using the Half-Life engine? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAaaaaa *cough*.

So games like IL2: Sturmovik have no market because they are overtly realistic. Bullshit. I enjoyed this mod very much knowing that it is not a complete product yet. I was intrigued at why it took them such a long time to produce a small demo like this and found out that the team has had many falling outs with regards to people leaving and pretty much recreating the mod and such. Now that something is released, I think the mod team will continue to progress through this game and every new patch will make the game better.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 10:10.

12. . Jan 1, 2004, 07:29 Bob

The hl engine is old yes, but I'm contiunually surprised by how good some parts of it still look. The crossbow in HL for example beats alot of weapons models in recent games, thats just sad. It's a compliment to HL, but still.

The bullet impact effects in CS are still great: -bullets leave a hole on both sides of a door, the smoke and particle effects give a good tactile feel to shooting, rounds make a different sound when hitting different materials wood/metal/concrete

I know you are saying why am I so impressed with that. Because some games today still get those basic things wrong. YOu would think they could take note of successful games and learn.

11. Re: No subject Jan 1, 2004, 00:14 mbmonk

The Latter is what you can do. I hate to say it but man the HL engine is just worn the F*CK out. Graphics are pretty bad. Cant wait for the games based on the Doom3 and HL2 engine. MAN ITS GOING TO BE GOOD(but my wallet isnt as happy as I am about the news)!

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 00:17.

10. No subject Dec 31, 2003, 22:59 PHJF

Are you saying you can't site while prone or you can't site while prone and moving?

If it's the latter, i'd like to see you try that.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: No subject Dec 31, 2003, 22:52 kyleb

lol Hump, did you bother to turn of steam before installing? it instaled just fine on my setup. as to wether it is so fucking hard for moders to make seperate .exes for mods; it is actually fucking impossable so quit complaining.

8. Re: . Dec 31, 2003, 21:05 AtomicFishyStick

Not much going with this mod. They claim realism but have several retarded features such as no firing untill you bring up your sites and allowing you to stay sited while prone and moving. Features like this are not realistic. And just plain dumb.

7. . Dec 31, 2003, 21:00 Bob

I played for a few minutes, there are a few servers without steam.

Yeah, the movement animations could be better, kinda looks like walking on ice sometimes.

I didn't see any blood - is this correct? Hard to believe they'd make a HL mod without blood; which would be a deal breaker for me.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 21:01.

6. Realism? What for? Dec 31, 2003, 20:35 Cygnus

If I want realism, I'll wake up every day, get out of bed, do and go through the things I already do and have done for a long time. I don't play games for realism. I play them for escape and entertainment. I wish that game and mod-makers would realize that 99% of ALL gamers feel pretty much the same way as I do. It's one thing to try to make a game as realistic as possible given a certain setting, but still realize that the player is the (super)hero of the story and modify the game accordingly. Trying to make a game that perfectly mimics real-world physics/situations/scenery is just stupid. YOUR perceptions of time/space/physics are going to be different from MY perceptions of the same things (laws of physics notwithstanding). Just look at mbmonk's comments for proof.

No, I haven't played it. I don't trust Valve for trying to turn game software into a pay-for-play utility. It may not be at that level presently, but it will be in the future if you continue to support applications like Steam.

Second, "modeled with a level of detail that a lot of other games/mods/tc's don't have" using the Half-Life engine? BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAaaaaa *cough*.

5. Treid it out Dec 31, 2003, 20:05 mbmonk

I didnt like it, it is extreme realism. No hud at all what so ever.

I couldnt shoot w/o having the iron sights up
The animations for walking and crawling, just movement in general are bad
shooting seems a little inacurate

Btw, for a game that is about realism they let you keep your aim up while you are crawling prone, that doesnt seem right.

Hope someonelse enjoys this mod

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 20:06.

4. Re: No subject Dec 31, 2003, 19:52 Hump

Did you get the hotfix?

yep. I spent nearly an hour before work this morning trying to get it to run.

It doesn't help that I had to go looking for install instructions as none were provided whatsoever.

Anyway, I found instructions on how to install to Steam, followed them to the letter yet the game doesnt show up in the steam applet nor can I start the game alone (BTW, is it so fucking hard that modders, BF 42 included, can't make seperate .exe's for their game?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- unknown author
This comment was edited on Dec 31, 19:53.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. No subject Dec 31, 2003, 18:48 Unmaker

Wow, I remember hearing about the HI mod a long, long, long time ago. I can't believe they actually finished it.

2. No subject Dec 31, 2003, 17:47 PHJF

Did you get the hotfix?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. No subject Dec 31, 2003, 17:06 Hump

I can't get this dam thing to work with Steam.

"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- unknown author

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo