Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Combat Over Universal Combat

In a turn of events that harkens back to the controversial release of the original Battlecruiser game, the Battlecruiser Online Forums now have more on the brewing disagreement between 3000AD developer Derek Smart and publisher DreamCatcher Interactive over whether Universal Combat is ready for prime time. There is a conflict over the possibility that RC1 of the game will be shipped, and this all may end up in the courts. Here's a bit:

Today, Eric and my attorneys in Canada are going to advise them via paperwork of their breach and my desire to protect my IP from damage and at any/all costs. Obtaining a TRO is not a big deal because my contract shows that I own the IP, that my company, rep, IP etc would be damaged if this RC1 build were to be allowed into the retail channel. With a TRO (which for expediatry reasons has to be taken out in Canada), they can replicate a million units, but will never ship them. And since a TRO requires a hearing in order to either (a) have it removed of (b) have it extended, if successful, the RC1 build will never enter the retail channel until the case is heard. Which could be 3-4 weeks, depending on the Canadian court system.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 16:53 strangelove

'And I am very interested in seeing how this "advertising" is going to help UC sales. There is a new school of thought that says bad publicity ACTUALLY IS bad publicity. I tend to agree.'

A bit late, but I wanted to mention I've seen several posts on other sites where people who were interested in picking up the game changed their minds after reading dsmarts loverly posts here on Blue's. So, yes, bad publicity can be (and often is IMO) just that...BAD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 11:15 Tigger

Slack is very precious, and I sure as hell aint cutting any to Derek Smart.

Ooops, forgot to add my <sarc> and </sarc> tags for sarcasm

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

61. No subject Dec 23, 2003, 10:53 space captain

Slack is very precious, and I sure as hell aint cutting any to Derek Smart.

And I am very interested in seeing how this "advertising" is going to help UC sales. There is a new school of thought that says bad publicity ACTUALLY IS bad publicity. I tend to agree.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

60. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 10:44 eunichron

Um...no. This thread:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=46036

has almost twice as many posts and isn't about Doom3 or HL2.
Ok, any thread that isn't about Doom 3, Half-Life 2, or DNF.

59. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 10:39 Tigger

go check em out, its pretty sick - everyone calls him Supreme Commander... and MEANS it!!

Yeah, but Derek even abuses them. Cut the guy some slack with his own forums, it seems to be the only place on the Internet where people kiss his ass.

--
Tigger

--
Tigger

58. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 10:37 Tigger

this thread has gotten more attention than any other thread that wasn't about Doom 3 or Half-Life 2.

Um...no. This thread:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=46036

has almost twice as many posts and isn't about Doom3 or HL2.

--
Tigger
This comment was edited on Dec 23, 10:37.

--
Tigger

57. Re: No subject Dec 23, 2003, 10:23 eunichron

I don't think it has anything to do with personality disorders (well, maybe...), sick obsession with starting fights, or whatever. Just look at this, this "news" is posted up all over the place, this thread has gotten more attention than any other thread that wasn't about Doom 3 or Half-Life 2. You can't buy this kind of publicity, and Smart being a sort of indie developer, he probably couldn't afford it in the first place.

So congratulations, you have all contributed to Derek Smart's ingenious advertising campaign.

56. No subject Dec 23, 2003, 09:49 space captain

and he gets his dick sucked-a-plenty on those forums at BC3K.. go check em out, its pretty sick - everyone calls him Supreme Commander... and MEANS it!!

- SUBHUMANS

55. No subject Dec 23, 2003, 04:20 EvilGoof_Trollboy

he gets a total kick outta this kinda situation, and in some sick way he's probably addicted to it since he seems to have to go through crap like this every couple of years.

what will be interesting to see is who either funds or publishers whatever dross he pumps out after this debacle, my money is on the answer being no one and he will fund it himself and i'm sure the decision will be totally his. yeah right.

i'm a big fan of independant developers and i do admire his desire to create the game *he* wants rather than some of the crap situations other developers get pushed into by their publishers, i'm just not a fan of stupid developers and dsmart is the stoopidest of the lot.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 04:22.

54. Re: Derek Smart Dec 23, 2003, 00:33 Mad Max RW

I prefer Derek Smart's brand of bullshit over what's shoveled by Warren Spector, the animals at Valve, or any other "leaders of the industry". At least he's entertaining in a funny sort of way.

53. Derek Smart Dec 23, 2003, 00:13 the_nemesis

Derek Smart is just a total loser. That's all, no point to be made.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 00:13.

52. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2003, 23:43 Tigger

What's sad is the total lack of professionalism by dragging this tripe in to his forums and making it public.

Well said.

--
Tigger

--
Tigger

51. No subject Dec 22, 2003, 23:02 B M

HIS LAST NAME IS SMART, SO HE MUST BE SMART! RIGHT?

50. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2003, 22:39 markv

What's sad is the total lack of professionalism by dragging this tripe in to his forums and making it public. There are far more diplomatic ways of handling this, however since Derek is such a meglomaniac, this course of action isn't very surprising.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 23:11.

49. No subject Dec 22, 2003, 21:15 space captain

Yeh, they attached St. Valentine to the springtime fertility festivals

- SUBHUMANS

48. Re: and so it begins...... Dec 22, 2003, 20:55 eunichron

Bronco, according to scholary knowledge, Christmas has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the birth of christ; it is a day that a huge Roman Orgy was held, so the christians could celebrate MAss without being murgdered
Oh boy... while you're right that Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th (it was really sometime in August/September), the origins of Christmas certainly doesn't have anything to do with orgies and christians trying to stay alive. In reality, during the Roman christian church's rise to power, they began a policy of inclusion. They began celebrating Jesus' birth around the time of the solstice, during the same time when every other religion was celebrating the birth of some god or another (Saturn for the Romans [from which the tradition of giving gifts come about], yule for the Germans [the practice of setting up an evergreen tree {the symbol for fertility}], Diane for the pagan witches [who used holly as a symbol for the godess' menstruation, another fertility holiday]). So the Roman christian church said, "Bring your gods, goddesses, rituals and rites, and we will assign Christian sounding titles and names to them." And they went, and the Roman christian church adopted all their customs and threw them into one giant conglomerate holiday we call Christmas.

47. Cool trick but does it work? Dec 22, 2003, 20:44  SamPenguin 

Is it like Beetlejuice, if you say his name 3 times...

closes eyes and whispers...
Derek Smart
Derek Smart
Derek Smart

46. Re: did you know? Dec 22, 2003, 20:06 DedEye

Personality disorders (PDs) are notoriously difficult to treat, with higher success at earlier ages. The difficulty in treating these disorders lies in a person's personality being part of what defines them as an individual. This develops from early childhood and, in most cases, on through maturity.

You have to be careful in how you interpret what you read in textbooks and in the DSM-IV, however. For example, When I first read about narcissistic, histrionic, borderline, et al PDs in a textbook, I thought I was surrounded by them (OMG! do I have paranoid PD?! ;)). Needless to say, you have to do a thorough psych history and evaluation to make that diagnosis.

45. Re: did you know? Dec 22, 2003, 19:55 Hump

What the hell does Christmas have to do with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

I dunno but I'm gonna go grab my mug and go lookin' for reindeer....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 2, U2:XMP, Hotly Anticipating: Crashday, Soldner, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

44. Re: did you know? Dec 22, 2003, 19:32 ZzeusS

What the hell does Christmas have to do with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo