Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X U.K. Gold

The Threat is coming across the pond, as word is the U.K. version of X: the Threat is now gold (thanks Frans). Here's word: "DEEP SILVER is pleased to announce that X: THE THREAT, by German development team EGOSOFT has gone GOLD in anticipation for its 6th February 2004 UK release date. Sequel to the classic space trading / combat PCCD game X BEYOND THE FRONTIER, X has been in development for over two years."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. No subject Dec 22, 2003, 05:04 NorthernPaul

This game's already out in the US, it's gone gold for the UK, and yet they're still not releasing it until Feb? Surely all that's going to do is increase the piracy rate as it's freely available on the p2p networks already (and also on the local market for 5) and if anyone over here's desparate for it then I doubt they're going to be happy to wait...

Sorry if it's a cynical view of gamers, but I really think that these delayed regional releases are a big factor in piracy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No subject Dec 22, 2003, 00:14 Enahs

If you guys want elite so bad, but do not want to play the old 4 color version, get the 256 color version!
Elite +
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/pc/index.htm

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2003, 21:24 JoeBlack

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in your first sentence, seems as if I missed a previous battle?

While IW2 was linear as hell, I actually felt like I was in a universe with a purpose with something to strive for (same goes with Freelancer but the gameplay and story failed horribly). They did ATMOSPHERE right.

While the game has the likes of "Elite" in the making, I could do better off by subscribing to EVE Online. I am hoping X-Online remedies my quams with the game but, I just don't "feel" right in this game. I've only been playing a few hours a day so maybe I havn't hit that magic moment or mission yet. I wouldn't say my money is wasted (but it is kind of questionable) as it's always good to own a good spacesim. Even if it isn't to my liking something might happen down the line where it might become much better.

I'm not here to deter you guys from enjoying the game, by all means please do. My tastes just aren't wet with this one, no matter how close to Elite it comes.

I have no problems waiting...

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 21:27.

14. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2003, 09:11 Rigs

Soupkin crawled back out of the grave and is back to make our everyday here at Blues a safe and happy one...just make sure your tray tables are in an upright and locked position...

I can understand the complaints about the UI and the slower combat (tho, I have to scratch my head when someone said they were bored during a fleet battle with 200+ ships...huh?)...During my nine months in beta testing glee, my main complaint was the UI...in X and Xtension, it was serviceable because there were nearly as many things to take care of at once, but X2 is different. If you go from X(1) to X2, your head will spin with the amount of things the UI has to present to the player. Unfortunately, I don't think we (the developers and beta team) could think of anything better within the time and constraints of the game itself. Would it have been better to rip out the old UI and rebuild it? Probably. Would it have taken a long, long time? Definately...I feel your guys' pain, but like Cheese said, there is nothing better. IW2? Are you on crack? About as bad as Freelancer. Both as linear as hell. They are working on an X/X2 MMOG called OnlineUniverse.com...not much there yet, but I am on the development beta team for that as well (kinda low on the whole totem pole, but still) and I plan to keep Bluesies in the know during the development...

=-Rigs-=

'I wanna heal, I wanna feel like Im close to something real. I wanna find something Ive wanted all along...Somewhere I belong...'

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

13. No subject Dec 19, 2003, 19:36 Cheese

Quote frm Gamespy:Privateer is too old. Freelancer is too canned. Hardwar is too obscure. Escape Velocity: Nova is too 2D. Frontier: First Encounters is too buggy. Battlecruiser/Ultimate Combat is too, umm, storied. And X-Beyond the Frontier is too ungainly. So what's an Elite fan to do? To recapture that delicious wide-open galaxy-trotting freedom, do you have to revert to the vector graphics of the 1984 classic? If you've been pining away for a successor to Elite, pine no more. X2: The Threat, which the box calls a "space simulation," will sweep you off your feet and finally turn you lose among the stars.

They end it by giving this title 4 outta 5 stars

At least you have a opinion and i cant knock you for that much but i doubt you own this game you prob tried the demo or something.

12. IW2 Dec 19, 2003, 19:01 Cheese

IW2 was a great game and so was Taychon and so was Freespace 1 & 2. but I beat them and is it ok if I waste my money on X2 I mean afterall is ANYONE releasing a Elite like space game? come on Joe Black is there anything out that I havent beaten and is halfway good to tide me over in the space department????????????

Ok so STFU then I dont care if you come on here and say how much you hate something but i'll ask you is there anything THIS christmas that is set in space and lets you trade fight ect...?

Come on think hard ummmm why dont you go boot back up Elite or Privateer and if you did know or play Elite then your remarks would have been composed better other than the child like banter about how a game in which several thousand CRITICS agree is not bad by any means

Lowest score card on X2 Ive seen is a 79 and that cause the reviewer didnt know WTF he was doing and it sound like you dont either... later dude and here a tip for you ... go buy another FPS or RTS ok Ive got money to burn and i like burning it on titles like X2.

11. No subject Dec 19, 2003, 18:38 space captain

Actually, the very common complaint is that joysticks hardly work in this game - apparently the support is total shit.. I wouldnt know coz I use a mouse

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

10. Re: not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 18:26 JoeBlack

Oh no, I play both Sims and FPS shooters. I've got a Cougar HOTAS (last christmas) so it's all good for the sim (and mech) games.

Yeah I guess it isn't really my cup of tea, which makes me kind of sad since I thuroughly enjoyed Elite and Frontier (even though they were with a keyboard).

I dunno, I guess I was hoping for something like Freespace: Privateer

9. Re: not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 17:24 4D-Boxing

"And where is the fast paced combat? For a game that touts FIGHT as one of the main playstyles it seems as if you're fighting the game to kill something rather than fighting opponents."

Did you upgrade your ship? Do you use a joystick?

I Imagine that you took the time to buy the upgrades that will make your ship handle better. I just hope you are not one of those people who tries to play games like this with a mouse and keyboard! Since you talked about Lock-On you must own some kind of gaming peripheral.

I imagine this game will never be your cup of tea since it does not have the same style of physics as IW or a flight sim.

From what i've read on boards and reviews, this game is more of a wing commader privateer clone but it takes a long time to upgrade you ship so it handles like the ones in wing commander. It takes a long time to earn $ to buy the good upgrades.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 17:34.

8. Re: not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 15:19 JoeBlack

Independence War 2 owns this game hardcore. Which makes me REALLY sad cause IW2 is pretty linear

First of all, I just can't get over how bad their "animator" is. All the models and stuff are done well, but jesus fucking christ... It's as if they had someone who isn't even familiar with animation do the animation... I mean I've only taken a single 3D Modeling & Animation class and I've already topped their animation for my final. god..

And where is the fast paced combat? For a game that touts FIGHT as one of the main playstyles it seems as if you're fighting the game to kill something rather than fighting opponents. I'm sorry I just can't get over those to make it fun for me, it ruins the entire atmosphere for me.. oh well.. Hopefully they release some mod tools or get some gameplay patches out there.

One good thing I'm loving: MultiMonitor support (in the patch). MORE GAMES NEED THIS!! Specifically Lock-On: Modern Air Combat.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 15:26.

7. Re: not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 13:30 McBane

This game's interface is as bad as Gothic's. For the love of God, why don't they just farm the UI out to Indian coders. Anybody know the German word for intuitive?

6. Re: not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 12:52 Enahs

you prob do have aids and want others to suffer but dont listin to this bozo.

He does not have aids.
Even hookers have standards.

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. not that bad Dec 19, 2003, 12:10 Cheese

Anyhows dont ya love it when a person come on and screams how horrible a game is?

There no demo out so unless he bought it how does he know its horrible and if he did buy it what did you expect?

Its better than any spacesim out and i cant wait to see what other developers are making to top this < prob a FPS or RTS> no one even has a spacesim slated for 2004 unless you count UniversalCombat and that dont count cause its way bad looking

So its horrible but what am i suppose to do go back and play 6 zillionm FPS or RTS huh you prob do have aids and want others to suffer but dont listin to this bozo.

4. Ahem... Dec 19, 2003, 11:50 Jigen

There's a patch out, you have to check their website.

3. No subject Dec 19, 2003, 11:45 space captain

Its been gold, what are they on about?

Ive had it for 3 weeks now - s' ok, it had alot more problems than I initially thought

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

2. Re: Pfwoar! Dec 19, 2003, 11:33 Soupkin

This game is horrible anyways.  
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
Postal 2 sucks.

1. Pfwoar! Dec 19, 2003, 11:31 Creston

Now THAT'S (gold now, in stores FEBRUARY 6th) taking your time in between going gold and releasing something! Sometimes I just don't get the ame industry...

Creston

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo