Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Spot On Top retailers to nix PC games? Is a GameSpot article with a bunch of quotes reflecting on the future of PC games at retail based on the latest spate of rumors casting doubt on their ongoing viability. Here's a bit: "Statistics from a recent SEC filing of GameStop supports her comment. In documents filed with the SEC last month, the company revealed of its retail sales for the thirteen week period ending November 1, 2003. The company reported just seven percent of its total sales were PC games, compared to 64 percent of revenues coming from console games. Year-on-year percentage of sales derived from PC game accessories dropped two percent in the same 13-week period."

A follow-up on yesterday's EA Image of the day is that the photo was actually originally shot by Dave Martindale of Radical Entertainment.

Play Time: Globulos multiplayer.
Links of the Day: Wooden Ferrari.
Click for Cans. Thanks Andrew Arace.
Quake Level Name Generator.
Stories of the Day: Thurmond Kin Acknowledge Black Daughter (registration required). Thanks D. Andrew Terrill.
Is Mensa dumbing down?
E-mail cards just don't cut it at Christmas.
Science!: New Gun Shoots Around Corners.
Seven Days of Creation.
The Englishman Who Wanted to Fly.
Follow-up: McLanguage Meets the Dictionary.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Hooah Dec 18, 2003, 15:40 Pedle Zelnip

I guess the moral of the story is some ways to attempt to reduce warez only harms everyone, whereas better methods can actually increase the utility for players signficiantly.

Very true, until the last patch for UT2K3 came out and removed the copy protection I couldn't play the game (well, without a crack) because the copy protection wouldn't work with my CD-RW drive. I'm all for devs protecting their work, but once you prevent the people who have paid for a game from playing it you've defeated the purpose.

PZ
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading: Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"
Listening To: Sam Roberts - "We Were Born In A Flame"
This comment was edited on Dec 18, 15:41.

PZ
------------
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Hooah Dec 17, 2003, 13:55 ExcessDan

the only thing with punkbuster now is how i can't fucking play on pb servers without downgrading my nvidia drivers without a crash

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

58. Re: Hooah Dec 17, 2003, 08:56 DG

Do you get them on the ship date to retailers, or do you have to wait a few extra days? I may give it a try. Always willing to try new methods of distribution for the greatest hobby in the world

Usually on release day, or the day after. I guess it depends not only on when they ship, but your postal service. AFAIK games are usually delivered to shops and etailers at least the day before release day, giving time to put them out, ensure nobody moans about their competitor getting it on time and not them etc.

Regarding console/PC sales, there's also the consideration of wether PC sales have been declining or if its that console sales have been increasing. Could be interesting to see a time-series chart of PC and each console's sales - and average ROI since it's no good selling twice as many if you had to pay for making four times as many games.

Regarding warez, there's the double edged sword of copy protection. All these stupid attempts that cause problems for people just because they own a CD writer or whatever only serves to drive people towards consoles - or get the inevitable anti-copy protection hack. Less promlematic ones can be a significant bonus however.

In RTCW, Punkbuster is extremely effective at nuking cheaters and enabling admins to make effective bans on lamers, because the only way to bypass it is to find another cdkey. Known stolen keys get blocked globally by id/PB so this usually means having to buy a new copy. In ET, the "cdkey" is easily replaced for free, PB cheat detections are good but banned players can just aviod bans by getting a new cdkey. A major plus for RTCW is a significant minus for ET, somewhat ironically due to a major plus of ET - it being free. I guess the moral of the story is some ways to attempt to reduce warez only harms everyone, whereas better methods can actually increase the utility for players signficiantly.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 08:58.

57. Re: Ugh Dec 17, 2003, 07:07 Anvil

Sorry, just needed to vent. ]

Been there, felt that. Though those desktop guys who call you up and say - oh your database is down, when what they mean is we upgraded the desktop clients and didn't install the damn client software.

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

56. Re: nin's new sig Dec 16, 2003, 23:43 WarPig

I love that damn song...

Ok, so now I've got to hear it again so I pull out the album - which I bought when it was new btw - and when I pull out the dust jacket there's a message written on it from the RIAA warning about the evils of pirated 8-track tapes!

The more things change...

-----------------------------------------
Please move along people. Nothing to see here.

GO SEAHAWKS!

55. Re: nin's new sig Dec 16, 2003, 23:23 Bronco

To juno? Haven't seen it yet...

I just sent it again. If that fails I'll email you from work tomorrow.

My home ISP and work ISP seem to be trading off nights to act flakey.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

54. Re: nin's new sig Dec 16, 2003, 22:42 nin

WIR FAHR'N FAHR'N FAHR'N AUF DER AUTOBAHN

I love that damn song...

edit:
I just emailed you. Not work.

To juno? Haven't seen it yet...

http://www.kraftwerk.com/
This comment was edited on Dec 16, 22:52.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

53. Re: Mods Dec 16, 2003, 22:05 Pedle Zelnip

Some mods are so good it's like getting a whole nother game,but for free. Why buy a new game?

VERY good point. Of course then you would think that PC games would be more expensive than console games since you'll get better value for the money on the PC.

PZ
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading: J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King"
Listening To: Sam Roberts - "We Were Born In A Flame"

PZ
------------

52. Re: nin's new sig Dec 16, 2003, 21:40 WarPig

WIR FAHR'N FAHR'N FAHR'N AUF DER AUTOBAHN

-----------------------------------------
Please move along people. Nothing to see here.

GO SEAHAWKS!

51. Re: PC vs. consoles Dec 16, 2003, 21:34 djkruxx

The biggest advantage I see currently PC games having over consoles is the mod community. This extends the shelf life of PC games considerably (witness Half Life, RtCW Enemy Territotory, and the more-recent Unreal2 with XMP release). And there are quite a few other games where the developers release tools to the community (I have played LOADS of RPG/adventure scenarios for Warcraft 3). This is something that consoles cannot emulate, not easily
anyways.

The biggest advantage I see currently PC games having over consoles is the community. PC games offer more than just gaming, it results websites like bluesnews, LAN action, things you won't recognize if you only play console games.

L.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 21:35.

50. Mods Dec 16, 2003, 21:29 trashcan

One of the reason's why the PC sale have been low or going lower is mods. Look at how many people play half-life mods still (kali shows 19,673 servers counting mods and everything,it doesn't show how many players). That game is what 5 years old now? On the console games you maybe play a game for a month (maybe a good RPG 6 months) then you go get a new game.Console games have very little to extend there life's once you played them threw. When you finsh a PC game you can usally go get some mods to extend it's life. Some mods are so good it's like getting a whole nother game,but for free. Why buy a new game?

I just finshed freelance and liked it. Now do I go buy X2 which looks kick ass or go get some freelance mods and get more value out of the game I already paid 40$ for ? You guys see where i'm going here?

49. Re: Tsk Tsk Thurm... Dec 16, 2003, 21:16 Bronco

I'm scratching my head, frankly...I'm afraid to ask (or maybe I just don't want to know)...

I just emailed you. Not work.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

48. Re: Tsk Tsk Thurm... Dec 16, 2003, 21:08 nin

How many people even know that you are making fun of a saying?

I'm scratching my head, frankly...I'm afraid to ask (or maybe I just don't want to know)...

That dictionary article was interesting...I agree with the author, that it should document language, and not try to censor it...

47. Re: Tsk Tsk Thurm... Dec 16, 2003, 20:54 Halsy

The actual term originated as a way to describe the sexual taboo of interracial breeding. Where and who coined it is lost to the ages.

I'll drop you an email soon, things have just been hectic as they always are this time of year. I'm also coming down with a nasty cold atm.

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

46. Re: Tsk Tsk Thurm... Dec 16, 2003, 20:12 Bronco

He's the 'honkey in the woodpile', imagine that.

I've always wondered about that term. Where do you think it originated?

I'm referring to the real term, not your version of course.

How many people even know that you are making fun of a saying?

Waiting for an email from you,

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

45. Re: And actually Dec 16, 2003, 19:46 Nonicknameforme

Well, it dosen't matter. More sales is more sales.

On that note how many consoles are there?

X-Box
Gamecube
PS2
Gameboy Adv

That means 92% divided by at least four.

I think its painfully obvious that the PC is dying, just get over it and prepare to accept that change is coming.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

44. Re: PC over console? Dec 16, 2003, 19:36 Jensen

2. Rentals
But most PC games have demos. It is a lot harder to get a demo of a game for a console :-) (though that could change with broadband and hard drives for consoles, of course)

43. And actually Dec 16, 2003, 18:57 Creston

it's not really fair if you think about it. They lump ALL consoles, including gameboy advanced etc together, and put it against the PC, and say "See?! The PC sells very little!"

How about we get a numbers breakdown for every single system by itself, THEN see how the PC fares. This is also why you can remember dozens of console commercials and no PC commercials. Those dozen console commercials are from all different systems.

Creston

Creston

42. No subject Dec 16, 2003, 18:34 Bunko

BAH! I'm still kicking myself for jumping the gun on my Athlon XP purchase. Oh well.

Hehe. The Quake map name generator is pretty funny. If I ever make a map for any future iterations of Quake, I will be sure to name it :

"Stir Fry Sacrifice"
or maybe
"Swiss Cheese Violence"
or even
"Ziggurat Brownies"

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.
This comment was edited on Dec 16, 18:38.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

41. No subject Dec 16, 2003, 18:15 nin

Dantastic, you will be happy to know I picked up the Jet's "Get Born" album today at best bi for $7.99...

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo