Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, I'm very happy with my WinXP installation experience in and of itself, unfortunately it did not ultimately address the problem I had, which was trying to get a snazzy RADEON 9800 Pro video card to run on a system with a cheapo, albeit new, ALI-based ASRock motherboard (a Ferrari engine in a Yugo, as it were). When I first had problems with this installation, one of ATI's trouble-shooting tips for the black screen after booting I got was to do a fresh OS install, since this was a machine that received a new motherboard without a Windows reinstall. Now under XP I don't get the black screen, and Windows works fine (for the most part), but trying to play games in any resolution (or even running PowerStrip) crashes things pretty much right away. I've upgraded the MoBo's BIOS and AGP drivers to no avail, and the 350W PSU is above the threshold that they describe for this video card (which must be connected to the PSU), so with such a fresh OS install, I'm pretty well out of troubleshooting options. I guess when tech support folks are available tomorrow I'll try and determine whether I've just got a bum video card.

In a dramatically more successful bout of troubleshooting, Frans (the man) has put in a yeoman effort at updating the scripted elements here to the new design, so the mix-and-match segment of our program is coming to a close. Huzza and kudos to Frans for working through this process, which had some nice complications to it.

Stories of the Day: U.S.: 'We got him'. Thanks battleswine and Eijiro Nights.
Oprah turns tables on Letterman in feud.
Science!: In Archimedesí Puzzle, a New Eureka Moment (registration required).
Image of the Day: Cool animated .gif. Thanks blue(?). Least still image evar.
Swimming Santa. Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Nice Parking Job. Thanks Ant.
Yo-yo Contest Highlights. Thanks blue. Don't be fooled by the boring beginning.
Auction of the Day: Uniden Sportcat SC 150Y Scanner. Thanks Viperfour.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: New computer installing woes Dec 16, 2003, 03:12 Milkman Dan

Hey, thanks for the info! I will definitely do that next time I need to reformat. I was looking for someway to do that online, but apparently missed it in MS's knowledge base. Since I am building two 200GB+ drive based computers anyway, I wanted to get a copy of XP Pro. I managed to get one drive installed without the sp1 by using one of the many features I normally don't use: my mobo's built-in RAID. I will probably use it someday when I get a TB worth of drives. Heh.

As for the "I hate you Milkman Dan" comment, thanks! It's why I chose the name.

Edit with P.S.
Thanks Bunko! My 2nd computer I was going to make was a Shuttle SFF based on a OC'd XP 2500+ and the Nforce2 ultra 400 chipset. Discovered the cpu is a week 44, meaning it's multiplier locked, and the PS on the Shuttle Nf2 looks too weak for a 9800 AIW. So, I am returning them to get that cpu you pointed out and the Nf3 shuttle. I was on the fence on buying that but didn't see a decent cheap cpu for it. Thanks for the heads up! At least you saved one person some upgrading regret.
This comment was edited on Dec 16, 03:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: New computer installing woes Dec 15, 2003, 12:50 rkone

I will probably have to break down and buy a modern version of XP with sp1a on it already.

If you download the 'net install' version of SP1, you can use it to create a new XP Home SP1 CD.

65. No subject Dec 15, 2003, 10:33 Bunko

NO! My worst fears are confirmed! The cheapo A64 kicks ass! WHY? WHY?!?!?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13187

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

64. Re: radeon 9800 Dec 15, 2003, 08:59 djkruxx

I'll check out what you haved posted, thank you so far. Unfortunately ATI's support concerning the 9800 doesn't satisfy

63. Re: New computer installing woes Dec 15, 2003, 04:42 ExcessDan

"i hate you more than ever milkman dan!"

(a quote not a personal attack)

it will follow you wherever your username goes bwahaa

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

62. New computer installing woes Dec 15, 2003, 03:05 Milkman Dan

I was fortunate enough to buy a AMD2500+ back when the multipliers weren't locked in Nov. I couldn't make it into a 3200 simply by changing the FSB like a lot of people did, but I did manage to make it into a XP3000 by lowering the multiplier to 10.5 from 11 and changing the fsb from 333 to 400. For $256 for a motherboard, cpu, and ram I made a barebones faster than a p4 3.0 in benchmarks.

I also had problems with my Radeon 9800 Pro when I installed it. It would lock up in the 3dmark 2003 tests, but work flawlessly in the prime test, 3dMark 2001, etc. I thought it was the ocing, but it had nothing to do with that, still did that underclocked. I turned off fast writes in the drivers and that seemed to fix my problem.

Now, I got 2 dirt cheap big drives, after rebates and black friday specials, a Maxtor 200GB and a WD 250GB drive. I am having a hell of a time formatting them because of the 137GB barrier, and I have the original version of WinXP Home, before the sp1 pack that addressed this. I want to use these drives as the only drives in the system, which is where my problem lies. I got them formatted using a slower 30GB as the master drive, then tried installing XP on the formatted but empty 250GB then, only to have it say the drive was only 137GB during setup. I partitioned it into no more than 100GB a partition, but it still didn't work. Really frustrating. I will probably have to break down and buy a modern version of XP with sp1a on it already. Just goes to show you Blue, there are many of us that feel your pain, or a similar pain in anycase in upgrading.%)

61. Re: AGP speeds? Dec 15, 2003, 02:49 Ant

banddirector: Same here, except ATI's software like Multimedia Center was buggy!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

60. Re: AGP speeds? Dec 15, 2003, 01:00 banddirector

Not to start a flame war, (and I'm really *not* an Nvidia fanboy), but the FX5900 I received for an early Christmas present runs everything perfectly, even 3DMark 2003. No glitches, no hangs, no studders. Maybe a 9800XT will run HL2 faster, but at what price?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

59. Re: AGP speeds? Dec 15, 2003, 00:52 Bucky

/me grabs computer case

"Stay away, all of you!"

Funny, everyone seems to have problems with the Radeon 9800, but mine is, and has been, rock solid. Then again, it was sure to be after being discontinued by ATI--Something about the 9800 Pro 256 MB performing neck and neck against the XT.

All of that power, and I'm suddenly addicted to online poker. Oh well, at least I'm smart cheap enough to not play with real money.

Edit: D'oh! Almost forgot--Kudos to Frans
This comment was edited on Dec 15, 00:55.

58. Re: AGP speeds? Dec 15, 2003, 00:24 Tim1_2

And yes, I did plug the card into the power supply.

Just so you know, Blue, it is definitely not your power supply's lack of power that is causing the problem. 350W is plenty. 300 would do. When I got my 9800, I thought that my inadequate (300W) power supply was the problem, so I bought a $120 420W TruPower Antec power supply, and the problem still persisted. So your problem lies elsewhere. EDIT: As you already found out, your problem WAS elsewhere.

FOR OTHER PEOPLE WITH RADEON 9800 PROBLEMS

If you just installed a Radeon 9800 and can't get 3DMark2001 or 2003 to run without locking up, try other games. I had this exact problem when I installed my 9800, which prompted me to buy a new mobo and a new power supply, until I realized my problem was JUST with 3DMark. Other games ran fine without locking up. If you are experiencing problems with all games, then check your memory. Try a different stick of memory if possible. The power supply is most likely not your problem (unless you are sub-300 watts). One of the highest causes of systems locking up when trying to play games and other intensive computing stuff is faulty RAM.

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: NHL 2004, Day of Defeat
This comment was edited on Dec 15, 00:35.

Currently playing: DayZ

57. Re: radeon 9800 Dec 14, 2003, 23:29 ZingZing

I had a problem when I first installed my 9700, games would lock up after 5 minutes, I tried muddling with agp settings etc.. Turns out it was because I installed DirectX 9 after I installed the Ati drivers. Installing DirectX 9 then installing the latest ati drivers cleared up all the problems. Seems retarded but it worked.

56. Re: radeon 9800 Dec 14, 2003, 23:25 dan

hey blue,
i installed powerstrip and underclocked my radeon. now ive succesfully run 3dmark twice without crashing. i know thats an unfortunate solution but it seems to be the only thing that will work.

55. Re: Go Seahawks! Dec 14, 2003, 22:43 Bronco

The Rams are a quality team who plays in a very noisy dome, any team in the NFL would feel fortunate to win there.

Sounds like a prediction for the NFC championship.

I have a bad feeling about tomorrow night. Donovan tends to play well on MNF but this streak has me worried. I'd rather lose a game now than later. However, it looks like the Rams will win out now. Your Seahawks were the best chance of the Rams losing.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. The Eagles have given up so many yards vs the run. Wonder what Ricky will rack up. Fiedler was a backup for the birds as well.

Should be an interesting game.

Amazed at all the gaming talk in OotB,

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

54. Re: AGP Dec 14, 2003, 22:33 John

I'm as amazed as anyone. This was on my gaming rig, and until I tried the 9800 in there it surprised me by being a *completely* problem-free experience.

Huh, I like that quote. Everything was working great until you tried the 9800.

This space is available for rent

53. Re: radeon 9800 Dec 14, 2003, 21:24 Sphinx

Got enough cooling going on there? Might be an overheat?

-Sphinx "Making no claims of being hardware expert"
http://www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

-Sphinx

52. Re: radeon 9800 Dec 14, 2003, 21:14 dan

i have the exact same problem as blue, so if anybody has any helpful links, please post them here. ive tried everything that has been suggested in these comments but to no avail (including lowering my agp speed). i have a via k7master mb with a good 450w antec ps, otherwise the same. the easiest way for me to test is to run 3dmark03 -- pc locks up within the first two tests everytime. =(

51. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2003, 21:12 -=(Maverick)=-

The only guy to top Blue's sheer madness in not reinstalling would be someone who had a heart transplant while jogging.

I don't know about y'all, but I've done this two times, with Windows 98 and Windows XP, and never had any problems. I think this anxiety is a leftover from the old Windows 95-days, where a motherboard change could indeed fuck things up.

Also, how 'bouth them Rams! Shame about that back referee, but hey, right now we simply cannot lose.

---
The trouble with the global village are all the global village idiots. - Paul Ginsparg

50. Re: Go Seahawks! Dec 14, 2003, 20:58 WarPig

From what I saw of the games they played the Rams pretty tough.

Yeah, this wasn't what I would call a "bad loss" (like last week or in {shudder} Baltimore). The Rams are a quality team who plays in a very noisy dome, any team in the NFL would feel fortunate to win there.

-----------------------------------------
Please move along people. Nothing to see here.

GO SEAHAWKS!

49. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2003, 20:36 djkruxx

nexus, lucky our heart, I just can't find its reboot button, runs a little better than a PC-system.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 20:37.

48. No subject Dec 14, 2003, 20:20 Nexus

The only guy to top Blue's sheer madness in not reinstalling would be someone who had a heart transplant while jogging.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 20:20.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo