Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homeworld 2 Postmortem

Action Vault's Homeworld 2 Wrap Report is written by Alex Rodberg of Vivendi Universal Games (Sierra), who reviews the development process for Homeworld 2, describing what went right and what went wrong during development of the space strategy game sequel.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: hrm Dec 15, 2003, 22:47 sponge

Yup, that's the same Alex Rodberg. I remember that episode, and remembering laughing out loud quite a bit. Stroke of genius that was.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 22:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. No subject Dec 15, 2003, 09:53 Nexus

I think KotOR did bring something new to RPGs. It brought a graphics engine that finally allowed really really good face to face conversations. That's been something done in FPS/RPGs, but never really in a really dedicated RPG, and it works, fantastically well.

It brought back a number of things that were missing from NWN when compared to BG - really stimulating conversations inside your party. Those got glossed over in NWN and SoU, especially with the inclusion of some pretty forgettable henchmen. I'll be very happy if this propels the focus back onto attaching your character to the world through his/her friends.

I was a fan of the original HW, but I just couldn't get into HW2. One thing that really put me off it was the mission with the attacking carriers where you have marine frigates, can use them against the carriers, but at the end of the process don't get control of them, despite every indication that you should be able to. It was completely contrived, a gameplay mechanic that you were prevented from using without warning, for the convenience of the designers. If I couldn't trust it to work, how on earth could I trust anything else to work as it was meant to? I quit, took out the CD and haven't looked back.

28. hrm Dec 15, 2003, 09:14 whatever

Isn't Alex Rodberg the same guy that told off the community there?  
--
"So what does Quake 3 give you? It's quite simple: the utter refinement of deathmatch, and the ultimate multiplayer shooter experience - nothing more, nothing less. " -- Dennis "Thresh" Fong

27. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 14, 2003, 23:34 pancreas

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I got bored of TRON 2.0 quickly. Sure the graphics were pretty, but I was really hoping it would have more depth than the average FPS, like NOLF2 did. I wanted to be immersed in the world inside the computer, not just blow stuff up with familiar weaponry. I'm hoping they make an RPG out of the franchise soon.

I was really impressed with HW2's presentation. I haven't played the first game, but the techo-religious theme gives the game a kind of ironic grandiose simplicity that is rare in sci-fi (Kind of like how Star Wars is medieval. It's sci-fi that focuses on the spectacle of the world created rather than on the science that created it.) The cutscenes of massive ships travelling through space really made my jaw drop. The gameplay offered a unique type of challenge too.

"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

26. Re: TRON 2.0 Dec 14, 2003, 22:40 nin

Am I the only guy that thinks KotOR is extremely overrated?

Yes! Yes, you are!

Seriously, you didn't like it? Or did it just not feel like the giant step forward that people make it out to be? Because I can kinda agree with that. It's not like it took the genre and turned it on it's head (I can't think of anything in kotor I haven't seen elsewhere). (To me) It just seems to stand out, compared to most recent games...

It's not perfect...it just does what it set out to do really well...

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: TRON 2.0 Dec 14, 2003, 21:27 Scottish Martial Arts

Am I the only guy that thinks KotOR is extremely overrated?

24. Re: TRON 2.0 Dec 14, 2003, 18:53 ExcessDan

The only fun jumping puzzles are in the new Prince of Persia.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

23. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 14, 2003, 13:46 JediLuke

As for BF42, I have that one reserved for drunken xmas break nights.

Good luck man, that game is hard to play drunk, although it's not as bad as Call of Duty. I kept mixing up the controls between those 2 games though, with disastrous results.

~Steve

22. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 14, 2003, 12:50 4D-Boxing

Despite all the games that where set back to 2004, 2003 turned out to be anincediblr year for PC gaming. Someone added Tron 2.0 that should be considered as a candidate also... now that i think about it it migh pick up Tron but so i doubt i'll ave time to play it.

When is the next recall? Dantastic for Governor !!!!!

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 12:51.

21. No subject Dec 14, 2003, 12:45 RazorWynd

did everyone hear that saddam hussein got captured?

he looks like moses now

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

20. Re: TRON 2.0 Dec 14, 2003, 10:17 amygdala

At the very least, TRON 2.0 should win some sort of award for being slightly original in this world of look-alike FPS games. No one else is re-invigorating 20-year-old film franchises like TRON. The game looked awesome, had good level design with lots of variety, and (jumping puzzles aside) was worth playing through all over again, just to look at all the pretty stuff.

I don't know it's it's really GOTY material, but it's the best FPS I've played all year (admittedly a short category).

19. No subject Dec 14, 2003, 09:50 Nexus

Tron2.0 was good, but I don't think anything can snatch it away from KotOR, and I don't think anything should. I want more quality RPGs like that in my life, and a GotY would encourage it.

18. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 14, 2003, 06:28 ExcessDan

MP2 is good it just hasn't been addicting enough to blow off studying to beat.. I have X2 but haven't had the time to try it. As for BF42, I have that one reserved for drunken xmas break nights.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

17. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 14, 2003, 01:42 4D-Boxing

I can't beleive i did not mention kotor... that is capital crime in here! Yes KOTOR is a candidate for goty.

"they may be CANDIDATES but KOTOR is the clear choice for winner"

LOL that's good man we need more people with your passion for games ... what happened with BF942 i thought that was the best thing according the Dantastic institute of Technology

KOTOR is just aimed at a younger crowd than the games i named. My selection would be for gamers 30 and over aka senior citizen gamers like myself.

16. Re: Expansion Dec 14, 2003, 01:01 John

Well, Cataclysm was developed by a different company than HW, so of course it wasn't that similar to HW.

I think HW2 made a good sequal. They changed a number of things in it. You expect a sequal to be like the original, and that's how HW2 is.. and even better IMO.

As for the learning curve, I thought HW had a bigger learning curve than HW2. I remember the 2nd level in particular.. that was difficult for such an early mission. I suppose HW2 wasn't as hard for me since I had already played HW not long before it.

Tron2.0 for GOTY? Hmm, we'll see about that.

This space is available for rent

15. Re: Customer Service 101 Dec 13, 2003, 22:40 DDI

Under 'Areas For Improvement', how about developing better customer service skills...

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=43920

I think Rodberg missed that one.

Thats fucking awesome. I wish I saw it before. Telling a bunch of HW nerds who bitch about everything to fuck off is awesome. Whining about HW2 not showing at ECTS? Get a fuckin life losers. That probably did virtually no damage to their sales because fewer than a thousand people read that thread and gave a shit.

Hell I bet all those tools went out and bought the game anyway.

PS Tron 2.0 is GOTY thanks.
This comment was edited on Dec 13, 22:45.

14. Re: Expansion Dec 13, 2003, 22:25 VoodooV

expansion my ass....based on the demo, the entire HW2 campaign should have been another expansion..not sequel.

bottom line..there really wasn't much different from the first. hell..cataclysm deserved to be a sequel more than HW2 did

13. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 13, 2003, 22:16 ExcessDan

Along with MP2 and X2 i believe this is a candidate for GOTY

they may be CANDIDATES but KOTOR is the clear choice for winner

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

ExcessDan

12. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 13, 2003, 21:28 AcidDrone

my friend swears that cataclysm was the best hw thing ever made, and i dont really like homeworld at all but i did play cataclysm for a few more minutes then hw1/2 so maybe they should try and do something similiar for an exp.

11. Re: Real Moral of the Story Dec 13, 2003, 19:47 4D-Boxing

This was my first rts, i was amazed at how easy it was to finish. I can't comment on the lack of innovation since iy was my first rts but I have to admit that the game got a bit tedious at first with all the racing arround to build a fleet before the next mission.

I traded the game in for X2 but if they release an expansion i might just get a used copy! Along with MP2 and X2 i believe this is a candidate for GOTY. I just wish more games had that level of polish with the feel of being in truely epic game!

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo