Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Site Seeing - Unreal Tournament

The official Unreal Tournament Website has relaunched, refocused on support for Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, and the upcoming Unreal Tournament 2004. Thanks BeyondUnreal. Update: Some reports are floating about that the trailer offered there is new, but that's just a lower resolution version of the clip released in September (story).

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: For the record Dec 12, 2003, 17:53 DrEvil

XMP vehicles feel way different than the UT2004 vehicles do for some reason. In XMP, they just don't feel right. And yes 04's make Halo and tribes its bitch as far as I'm concerned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2003, 11:36 Wazootyman

Shareware is just the old term for a really big demo.
Doom 1's first episode was shareware as well, just like Wolfenstein's first episode.

24. Re: No subject Dec 12, 2003, 10:36 Jojo BoZley

WOLFENSTEIN WAS SHAREWARE, DUMBASS.

go back to sleep.

...give him slack or kill him? I say kill him.

23. No subject Dec 12, 2003, 10:27 space captain

""Doom 1 far outsold wolfenstein""

WOLFENSTEIN WAS SHAREWARE, DUMBASS.

go back to sleep.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

22. Re: For the record Dec 12, 2003, 09:25 OldScho0l

I thought that the Halo vehicles sucked. Tribes vehicles are way better.

21. Re: For the record Dec 12, 2003, 01:49 Wazootyman

Kurtz:
If you look on the website, under the Vehicals section, you will see that both buggies are in the game. The Hummer lookalike is more of a heavy assault vehicle, while the Halo lookalike is a scout/harassment vehicle.

Entaro-adun:
I liked Tribes' vehicles, but Halo's were too light for me (a speedbump would catch you a couple feet of air...). The only exception would be the tank, which was retarded anyway... Hmmm... giant, heavily armored tank that provides absolutely no protection (any shot that hit the tank, damaged your health directly).

20. Re: For the record Dec 12, 2003, 00:01 hal

I think you're confused. The comments below were about UT2004's vehicles. Not XMP's which is a free add-on to Unreal2 and not at all representative of the work being done on Tournament.

19. btw Dec 11, 2003, 20:11 Animals for Crackers

BTW Halo didn't make vehicular combat "cool." It always was cool and Tribes was the first of its kind

18. For the record Dec 11, 2003, 20:09 Animals for Crackers

LOL for the record..anyone who says XMP's vehicles are BETTER than those in Halo and Tribes needs to actually play those games before they make such a remark honestly! The vehicles in XMP are like driving around huge wooden toy cars ; absolutely no suspension whatsoever..the steering and suspension is so wooden and unresponsive I don't even bother using them...they just make you a sitting duck for a missle lock-on or a plasma ball From the videos that I've seen from UT2k4, hopefully they change that

17. Re: flame away Dec 11, 2003, 17:31 quazz

May I remind you that Halo for PC was a shitty game.

Please, Halo made futuristic vehicle combat fun. It's a good joke and all that, but you shouldn't take yourself too seriously. Atleast say something like Tribe and you'll be closer to the truth.

And for the record, popular on console != popular on PC.

16. Re: flame away Dec 11, 2003, 17:29 sinner's saint

"EDIT: of course Wolfenstein made fps popular... it was the first! And yes, people copy the FPS formula because they know it works. What are you, a moron?"

Doom 1 far outsold wolfenstein you little piggy

p.s. i don't like you piggy

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 17:29.

15. Re: flame away Dec 11, 2003, 16:47 Gandhi

/me grabs a tub of popcorn and waits for the flame war to erupt

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

14. flame away Dec 11, 2003, 16:31 space captain

If you think any of those games were as popular as Halo, then you obviously dont follow the industry very closely. It doesnt matter who does it first, or who does it best. What matters is how many people play it, talk about it, and the total publicity value. Since Halo was initially released as a console game, it automatically had a greater chance for market saturation.

EDIT: of course Wolfenstein made fps popular... it was the first! And yes, people copy the FPS formula because they know it works. What are you, a moron?

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 16:34.

- SUBHUMANS

13. Re: welcome to society Dec 11, 2003, 15:57 4D-Boxing

"Well, Halo made futuristic vehicular combat "cool" and "popular". And just like in high school - everyone wants to be cool and popular."

I always thought that battlezone made futuristic vehicular combat "cool" & "popular" and that hidden and dangerous was the first game after that to try the formula etc...

One could also say that wolfenstein made fps "cool" and "popular" and now everyone wants to be "cool" and "popular"

I know i should not pay attention to such an obvious attempt to start a flame war but, it's a slow day at work.

12. Re: No Subject Dec 11, 2003, 14:52 DrEvil

Yes the outdoor maps are big, plenty of room to fight in, alot of routes to take. The action was non stop fun. The vehicles are very fun. The appearance of a couple vehicles is where the similarities to halo stop, the weaponry is completely unique. I can certainly see this being a popular online mode.

11. Re: No Subject Dec 11, 2003, 14:09 Kurtz

I have seen a few different buggies. I thought the Halo-like one was the original one, but that they then changed it to look different, even referring to the fact that it looked too much like the Halo one. The new buggy looked like they took a hummer and wrangler and mashed them together. See this shot: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ut2004/screens.html?page=35

However, in the movies they have released, I have seen both of those buggies, even in the same trailer. So I am actually quite confused at this point.
This comment was edited on Dec 11, 14:10.

10. welcome to society Dec 11, 2003, 14:09 space captain

Well, Halo made futuristic vehicular combat "cool" and "popular". And just like in high school - everyone wants to be cool and popular.

- SUBHUMANS

9. Re: No Subject Dec 11, 2003, 14:08 OldScho0l

DrEvil,
I too am a long time Tribes 1 & 2 player and if you say UT2004 vehicles are more fun, they must be good. How are the maps in UT2004? Are they large outdoor maps like Tribes?

8. Re: No Subject Dec 11, 2003, 14:07 Wazootyman

If I remember correctly from the trailer, that buggy can unfold long blades from its sides for choppin "pedestrians". =D

7. Re: No Subject Dec 11, 2003, 14:05 DrEvil

As a long time tribes player, and after getting the chance to play UT2004 at a recent Unreal University workshop, I can say that IMO the vehicular combat in 04, is miles ahead of tribes 1 & 2 in terms of fun.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo