Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy: Horizons

Atari Ships Artifact Entertainment's Horizons Empire of Istaria is the press release with the expected word that Horizons: Empire of Istaria, Artifact Entertainment's MMORPG, is shipping to stores. The press release offers extensive details on the game's nine races (including dragons), character classes, weapons, the game world, and more. Here's a bit on the combat system:

For many, combat in Horizons will be an all encompassing passion, but even a simple tailor minding his or her own business can run into the occasional zombie so training a few fighting skills can never hurt. Combat in Horizons takes the art of war to an entirely new level as lunges, parries, blocks and evasions are all fully represented with detailed animations. Monsters will no longer stand still as your mighty sword cleaves them in two. As players progress in skill by using standard attacks in combat situations they gain new special abilities that could be the difference between life and death in later levels.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Worst MMOG to date. Dec 10, 2003, 09:33 Furious

"After several years playing just about everything, I've given up on MMORPGs.
They just take too much time and they're all almost exactly the same."

I feel exactly the same way. I played UO for almost 2 years, EQ for almost 2 years, Beta'd AC, played DoAC for 6 months, and Beta'd Eve Online (hoping it would be a Alliegence MMO). The pay-off for hours spent playing simply isn't worth it anymore as there is nothing new to explore (explore as in new game play innovation). All the new MMO's are PvE which is boring IMO and even the ones that came out as PvP like Eve backed it off to care bear levels to try to grow fanbase.. boring. I do hope one day that 'some' company can make the NextGen UO as I would definetly be interested in that style of gameplay again. Traveling and exploring in UO was scary as hell and kept you on your feet every second you were out of a city, I loved it. And because traveling was so intense the cities we alive with crafters and such trying to buy and sell wares, most new MMO's cities are empty with people just running full speed from point A to B, boring. Hell, way back in the day when David Allen was in charge of AE, Horizons WAS SUPPOSED to be totally open PvP (with some inter-race PvP restrictions). So IMO, on top of the lack of any new innovations in MMO's, the new PvE only gameplay type is just plain boring. Horizons, when on the drawing board 4 years ago, had a lot of pontential but was dumbed down hard. Next...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Worst MMOG to date. Dec 10, 2003, 03:45 tacomodo

After several years playing just about everything, I've given up on MMORPGs.
They just take too much time and they're all almost exactly the same.

What really took me by surprise was MUDs(!).

If anyone is looking for depth in a game, and doesn't mind the graphics:
start > run > telnet avalon-rpg.net 23
Or just visit www.avalon-rpg.com and use their java client.

24. Re: Worst MMOG to date. Dec 10, 2003, 00:16 Rebian

I was in early beta, would log on once every couple of weeks, tried everything out.

You either craft, or fight. Both have some minor twists that get old in less than 5 mins of play. Graphics are as good as EQ pre-vellious expansion. My guess is that making buildings etc might be cool, but you'll have to endure a month or so of mind numbing crafting to get to that point, and you'll need other crafters to do the same to make the whole building. You'll quit before then I'd bet.

The wow factor wears off almost as soon as you enter the game and it don't come back.

23. Re: Worst MMOG to date. Dec 9, 2003, 21:38 ZzeusS

I haven't seen anything on it before today, and I picked it up. Maybe a mistake, but it seems kind of cool.

The resource gather is certainly not as annoying as AC2.

Crafting isn't annoying as DAOC.

Combat is easy. Controls are smooth. GUI is quick. Camera is movable, and everything is ituitive. I haven't even opened the manual and with the newb tutorials I got on my feet in no time.

And XMP is out.. sooo.. heh. Well I'll get back to Horizons tomorrow maybe.

*edit*

Well I do enjoy mindless hack and slash. Five hour bullshit quests for the holy gumball so I can get a magical breastplate of snizzle are for the birds.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 21:39.

22. Worst MMOG to date. Dec 9, 2003, 21:12 Lesaonar

I've beta tested a lot of MMOG's in my time (EQ (and a ton of the addons), AC1 and 2, Eve Online, AO, Earth and Beyond, DAoC (and all ot their addons and freebie packs)) and this has to be the worst MMOG I have ever tested. Crafting is a joke and is nothing 'groundbreaking' as they claimed and leveling had to be the most boring experience I have ever had. Too many companies are expecting the 'WOW' factor to sell their games due to a nice shiny gaming engine that makes everything look 'pretty'. Unfortunately on their hunt for the 'WOW' factor they neglect base gameplay and storyline, something sadly missing from Horizons. If you enjoy mindless hack/slash this is the game for you.

[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/8qzpu4-4.png[/img]

21. Horizons player beta review Dec 9, 2003, 18:26 Krovven

This should answer many questions people are having about Horizons. This isnt my post, was posted on my Ranger forum for EQ.

http://forums.interealms.com/ranger/showthread.php?threadid=31754&highlight=horizons

20. Re: Cool i can re post Dec 9, 2003, 17:37 the_nemesis

"Ultima X: Odyssey will raise the bar for mmorpg's. Thank god... after all these year of EQ clones, it's time to move on."

I'm not sure it will be any good, but what's almost sure is that it will be better than Ultima 9. What a stupid joke that pos game was.

19. Re: Cool i can re post Dec 9, 2003, 17:19 Steele Johnson

"yeah...keep looking for that new game you MMORPG cast offs

Meanwhile EQ sits right under your nose for the past 3 years."

Ultima X: Odyssey will raise the bar for mmorpg's. Thank god... after all these year of EQ clones, it's time to move on.

18. Re: Well Dec 9, 2003, 17:02 ZzeusS

While I was in the store getting my used $12 copy of U2 for XMP I .. I...

(whisper)
I picked up Horizons.

17. Well Dec 9, 2003, 16:21 Shots

I'm just glad that there are plenty of clueless bold people in the world that will waste their hard earned money purchase this trash game and live beta test play/review this game for me.

You're all so kind.

16. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 16:18 Midnight

I love the whole idea of MMORPG but I *still* haven't found one which has convinced me that it is worth the monthly fees. You know, a decent CRPG instead of a hack'n'slash item hunt with hundreds of character levels.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

15. Re: NFL Dec 9, 2003, 16:10 Cyphrex

lol damn...more fun with EVE online...lol....

wow ...

I just might purchase this one though...considering how upset I am with the current state of DAOC (ToA ruined that game)

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 16:12.

14. Re: NFL Dec 9, 2003, 15:37 the_nemesis

I played the beta. Don't buy it!!!

The graphics suck (way too slow for what it renders), the character movement speed is slow to create an illusion of a bigger gameworld, the world seems very empty, there's no doors (??), the combat is very run-of-the-mill, there's barely any content yet, etc.

It is far from being ready for launch (was any MMORPG ready for launch anyway?), and like somebody said, even though they add content, the new generation of MMORPGs will kick this one really bad.

I'd much rather play EQ than Horizons. There's a few good ideas in Horizons (crafting, recalling, etc). but the game is EXTREMELY BORING.

Hell I think I had more fun with the EVE Online beta if that tells you something.

Edit: spelling.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 15:38.

13. Re: uhhh Dec 9, 2003, 14:49 ZzeusS

After getting burned with SWG, I'm REALLY going to need some kind of playable demo ala AC2.

I'm starting to become slightly interested in spite of my growing hatred of MMOG's...

Of course, as soon as XMP hits I'll forget all about it

And UT2004 looks kind of cool, too.

12. Re: uhhh Dec 9, 2003, 14:44 Halsy

It's ok in the very literal sense. Not great, not bad, very middle of the road. It's standard MOG fare, with nothing really new or innovative. It'll probably do ok for a while, but with games like Mythica, WoW, EQ2, D&D Online, and CoH (that could be hit or miss too) on the way they'll probably die off sooner than later like most of the other current MOGs out there.

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

11. Re: uhhh Dec 9, 2003, 14:37 FourPak

The game seems to have a large Bartle "Social" demographic, which would make sense given the detailed and very Crafting-centric world system. Of course that's anathema to the fps/pvp crowd.

Imo the success of the game depends entirely on whether the live-teams (World Masters) can actively play out the story arc IN-GAME via Events every week or so. Without that it's yet another pointless "kill stuff/craft stuff" treadmill excercise. (Like EQ. )

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 14:41.

10. Crafting Dec 9, 2003, 14:29 Frijoles

I enjoyed the crafting in Horizons. For the small amount of time I played, anyway.

9. Maybe Dec 9, 2003, 14:28 rondalescott

Maybe it will be good! Maybe... You know... it might be... kind of not un-ok....

*weeps*

8. Cool i can re post Dec 9, 2003, 14:27 Grounded

100,000 Asheron's Call fans cant be wrong

they give Horizons a thumbs UP!

ha ha

yeah...keep looking for that new game you MMORPG cast offs

Meanwhile EQ sits right under your nose for the past 3 years.

7. Re: uhhh Dec 9, 2003, 14:22 wtf_man

No it isn't. It ain't great, but it doesn't totally suck either. Better than AC 2 and SB, IMO.

Graphics are ehhhh.
Combat is ehhhh.

AE fixes shit quick. Lots of optimizations and bug fixes the last few days of beta. THey put enough content in it... it will be an ok game.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo