Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers

This NVIDIA WinXP/2k Downloads Page features a new version 53.03 of the ForceWare graphics driver for nForce3-based systems. Thanks Aaron.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 10, 2003, 17:03 vacs

Ah! at last they fixed that fucked up bug that resetted my gf FX 5900 mem to 850 all the time. At last it stays klocked at 933. Happy Happy Joy Joy

That bug is not yet fixed, just reboot several times and the settings will be back to 850...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. bullshit Dec 10, 2003, 08:05 Shataan

"The drivers have never overheated GPU's"

many FX 5900 ultra users including myself have seen higher GPU temperatures in 2D mode AND 3D mode with the 52.16s AND 53... series drivers. Before these drivers, I never saw temps in 3D over 47, now I see them in the 50s. My idle temp states were usually 42, now they sit at 45. Ya can`t say "overheated", cause they can take the heat jumps we are seeing, but temps have risen with the introduction of the forceware driver sets for sure.

Now either the temps were being misread before, or the new drivers are doing stuff they never did before on the hardware end thus creating higher temps. Either way, we are seeing higher GPU temps at any rate. Its too bad nVidia didn`t allow for a sperate fan speed control so the users could tweak to their liking instead of having us rely on an auto setting thing.
The drivers of late have as well been known to stop fans from working at times too. I hope that bug is fixed.

41. Re: Let me guess Dec 10, 2003, 03:11 Muscular Beaver

I dont think anyone will answer you on this one besides me because your post is pure provocative flaming. not a single fact in it.

or was it a joke?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

40. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 10, 2003, 01:02 biofrog

Yah the PunkBuster & nVidia driver issue from what I have seen is only with the new "ForceWare" drivers... (atleast the 52.16 drivers I was using with my GF4 ti4600)

I just recently had a big fight getting Enemy Territory to work on the net, with PB enabled servers.. I could start my own server, with PB on too, or play for ages on a LAN no problems, but as soon as I join that net PB server, total lock up within 5 seconds of playing (many people have had the same problem). The "/pb_system 1" only seemed to extend the 5 second time to about 60-90 seconds before the total lock..

Unfortunately, the only true fix, was to revert back to older 45.23 drivers :-( These have known rendering issues however (see tomshardware.com)

I was hoping the new drivers would fix the issue, but so far it doesn't sound like it :-(

I can see from nVidia's point, they say "well the game runs fine without PB" and from PB's point, they say "Well the game runs fine with earlier drivers."

Someone needs to fix it :-\

39. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 21:29 Yakumo

Workaround if you have problems:
Geforce FX cards: set "pb_system" cvar to 1.
Older geforce: run game in Win9x compatibility mode and set pb_system 1.

i don't think I've heard of anyone with an FX card having a lockup over this yet, it just seems to be the pre-FX generation cards, maybe even only the GF4's.

pb_system 0 has always been abysmal for anyone i know with quake3 anyway,
and the compatability mode quickfix is nothing more thn that, it ran seemingly fine for me with the 53.03 drivres for a few of days, 4+ hours continuous testing on more than one occasion. then a day after it wouldn't stay running for more than 10 minutes again before a total system lockup.

places to go are http://www.punksbusted.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2070 where evenbalance staff are watching.

and http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=85563f6c13bc49a26643580f83598361&forumid=26

where apparently nvidia actually pay attention sometimes.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 21:30.

38. Let me guess Dec 9, 2003, 20:52 Raven737

I bet they improve 3dMark03 scores by the 40% they lost with the 340..... yay, now when will Futuremark make the next 'fix' for it again I wonder.

Oh and i also bet that Nvidia finialy threw out the whole trilinear filtering idea, I mean what difference does it make anyway, Nvidias awesome full screen anisotropic filtering looks so good you can even tell the difference to bilinear filtering anymore.

Somehow they must have managed to make the FSAA better too, itís all just a blur now, but hey at least you get your 0.001 fps increase in Counter-Strike... oh yea man that's SO worth it... i mean who actually needs to be able to make out the terrorist when you can now play at 0.001 frames per second FASTER!

And while youíre at it you should check out the new performance enhancing mode... NVIDIA said it does not cost any image quality at all... it just reduces the color precision to 3bit int's per channel... oh yea with 512 different colors and astounding 8 alpha levels who needs floating point crap anyhow.

37. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 20:34 Panick

Ah! at last they fixed that fucked up bug that resetted my gf FX 5900 mem to 850 all the time. At last it stays klocked at 933. Happy Happy Joy Joy

36. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 19:46 rkone

"I don't know about that, but at least these aren't the drivers that overheat our GPUs and f-up our monitor."

Um. No such thing ever happened. It was a bunch of ATi haters that started this rumour. It was disproven by ATi's head of driver support, several review sites, and hundreds of independent conformations. A lot of hot air was all that was behind it. The drivers have never overheated GPU's or destroyed monitors. Only idiot users have caused that so far.

It's official. DrEvil has lost this discussion.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 19:47.

35. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 19:40 ExcessDan

i have a gf4 and the first of the 50 release greatly improved performance so the 50's don't just improve 50's

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Did someone say KOTOR?

ExcessDan

34. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 19:29 Creston

Um. No such thing ever happened. It was a bunch of ATi haters that started this rumour. It was disproven by ATi's head of driver support, several review sites, and hundreds of independent conformations. A lot of hot air was all that was behind it. The drivers have never overheated GPU's or destroyed monitors. Only idiot users have caused that so far.

I won't say it DESTROYED monitors, but the 3.8s sure caused some fucked up behavior on my system. Total system crash, loss of signal to my monitor etc. And before you start yapping about the obvious (and before I need to post my resume to point out the counter-to-the-obvious), my system worked fine with the 3.7, I installed the 3.8 : crashes up the wazoo, installed the 3.9, works fine and stable as a rock.
Nothing changed on my system in between my switch from the 3.7 to the 3.8. I reinstalled after some crashes, put the 3.8 on there, then found that post that alluded to some funky shit going on with the 3.8, installed the 3.9 and nothing changed on my system.

Explain to me why my system failed with the 3.8s and not with the 3.7s and the 3.9s then?

OFCOURSE ATI's head of driver whatever is going to say "This has nothing to do with our drivers blablablabla". If he admitted it's their drivers causing this shit, they'd get sued out of frigging business.

Companies NEVER admit to anything.

Creston

33. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 19:24 Creston

New drivers are always good, even if it is just bug fixes, but if they can get more performance (with-out quality loss) do that as well! Why complain about something good man?!

Because, Enahs, in "fixing" 20 bugs, they introduce 30 new ones. This is indicative of their whole lack of quality care process. Sure, they fix some bugs, bugs that were stupid to begin with, and then figure their drivers are ready for "general release", put them out there, and watch the latest six games blow up with them.

Now, people will say, that's because those drivers were done before those games were out, to which I say : WHY is there no stability level in between drivers? If a company tests its game with the Catalyst 3.6, why doesn't it work with the 3.7? If a game works with the Detonator 44.03, why doesn't it work with the Forceware 53.xx? The new drivers should BUILD on the stability of the old ones, not just set a whole new level of stability, usually BELOW the previous level.

That this isn't easy, I won't deny, but it's certainly POSSIBLE. All it would take is more Q&A, and probably fewer driver releases. Quite frankly, I find these "A new driver every month" scenarios to be ridiculous anyways.

But, the two of them control 85+% of the market, so will it change? Nope.

Creston

32. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 18:58 DG

Some people tried a clean reinstall. Ininstalling or rolling back to older drivers immediately fixes it.

I still have a GF3, no big speed boosts Generally-speaking the 30-series are designed principally with GF3's in mind, 40's with GF4's, 50's for FX's. Of course some carries (esp. fixes) but some new gremlins can come along too.

DVD playback was nuked in drivers around 41.09 for cards that have a non-macrovision chip, i.e. cards like my Creative/MSI one. Nvidia spec was a macrovision chip but allowed manuf's to use whatever to cut costs. Nvidia intentionally broke dvd playback on these cards to comply with Macrovision copy protection - probably since fixed since Macrovision later said DVD need only be broken when TV-out is active. There's a huge flamey thread on Anandtech for the unlikely event that anyone is actually interested.

Er in short, nothing broke until I updated. Decided to go back and not to fix when nothing is broke.

31. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 18:39 Enahs

The only thing that sounds plausible about this is if when updating the drivers did not work right, as part of the old drivers are around. Try telling them to completely uninstall everything by NVIDIA, then re-install the new drivers. Or they might have had 3rd party drivers at one time, and they did not get completely removed.

Just out of curiosity, why do you still use the 30.82's? With the latest you get much more performance (I know from experience in FX class at least), stability (again FX class), and you do not need a stand-alone program to fix the refresh rate issue. What card do you have?

_____
Enahs
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 18:50.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 18:22 DG

but that's what works for RTCW & ET.

Not affecting me, I'm still on 30.82's. But I moderate one of the larger wolf forums (+ IRC) and a awful lot of other people are.

Also, from a (unofficial) Punkbuster forum that I frequent, it's apparent the issue is there in other PB-enabled games.

Its not the driver, its not PB. Its the driver + PB.

29. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 18:15 ExcessDan

yes

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Did someone say KOTOR?
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 18:17.

ExcessDan

28. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 17:48 Enahs

DG, I have no trouble with PB enabled games.

What PB games are you playing?
But to be honest, this seems HIGHLY unlikely to be caused by a vidoe card driver!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

27. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 17:32 DrEvil

"I don't know about that, but at least these aren't the drivers that overheat our GPUs and f-up our monitor."

26. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 17:27 DG

Looking like these drivers continue to be causing issues for Punkbuster-enabled games in WinXP, joining PB-enabled server results in the game crashing or PC locking up. It's not listed in either fixes or non-fixes on that .pdf.

Workaround if you have problems:
Geforce FX cards: set "pb_system" cvar to 1.
Older geforce: run game in Win9x compatibility mode and set pb_system 1.

Command or whatever might be different in other games, but that's what works for RTCW & ET.

25. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 17:26 rkone

Umm i'm confused... aren't these them? That would mean that nvidia's are more recent... not that it matters.. am i missing something?

Of all the comments in this thread, you only took mine seriously?

24. Re: Are these the drivers Dec 9, 2003, 16:49 Enahs

Instead of focusing on speed increases, they should just work on stability for a change, both of them. But apparently "stability" is not a marketable word.
I should point out, that if you read the drivers release notes for these new 53.03
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/53.03/ForceWare_Release_Graphics_Drivers_Release_Notes_WinXP2k_53.03.pdf
That is does not mention ANYTHING about performance, but it is just full of minor (and some not so so minor) bug fixes, and for "stability" as you said.

And I should also mention that while some driver releases do have announced "performance" gains, you might look at the release notes for them, they have more bug fixes in them then performance "fixes". *cough* I say that performance fixes lightly.

New drivers are always good, even if it is just bug fixes, but if they can get more performance (with-out quality loss) do that as well! Why complain about something good man?!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo