Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chrome Patch Plans

Techland sends word of plans for a big Chrome patch that will add a bunch of new maps, some new vehicles, and new gameplay modes to their science fiction first-person shooter. Here's the deal:

Having taken into account players’ suggestions, Techland releases their new Update for Chrome. Although it fixes some minor game issues it’s something much more than just a patch.

The most important changes are new multiplayer game modes and new maps featuring them as well as new vehicles that can be used there. The maps names are: Autobahn, Deadlock, Chillout, TreasureIsland2, Carbius, Skirmish, Battledust2 and Soilent2. This makes 8 of them which actually doubles the number of available multiplayer maps in the game. Two new vehicles have been added. One is ArmoBeatle Mark 4 which takes 6 people onboard (together with a driver and a gun operator) and can be a great help for massive infantry attacks. The other is Speeder which is a very fast one-man vehicle that can be used for recon missions or flag interception purposes.

The update also features the All-Seeing Eye game matchmaking support which is a good news for the on-line gaming community. The new server console commands and the ability of controlling the server from a game client will also make players’ life easier.

Techland and Chrome publishers announce that a lot of new game Internet servers will be set up soon. This together with the upcoming free dedicated server software will allow all Chrome fans make use of all the new features and maps that the update introduces.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 22:37 RazorWynd

McSchlong burger

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: So what's this like then ? Dec 9, 2003, 18:48 XEON

Cheers for the comments, appreciated. Just bagged myself a copy from eBay for £10

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

10. Re: So what's this like then ? Dec 9, 2003, 18:07 ColoradoHoudini

for the record, sweetjimmy is my gay lover.

having said that.. because i found the game (Chrome) so uninspired, i finally uninstalled it. but wait.. theres more.
the uninstall took about 10-15 real minutes? wtf? i uninstalled Halo right after that (and it took 20 seconds if it took 30)

both games were just wastes of space.
do yourself a favor.. dont bother with Chrome.. get XMP instead.

9. Re: So what's this like then ? Dec 9, 2003, 17:59 Hump

This patch has got me interested though...anyone share any opinions on the full game ?

overall I personally found it to be pretty darn good. Theres is an effort to give the player a nice variety of missions and details. In some ways it like a cross between Deus ex and Soldier of Fortune but with some mediocre voice acting and plotline. Its not a run-n-gun by any stretch and requires some patience and planning in order to be successful on your mission. If you can overlook some rough edges its well worth the purchase.

Oh yeah, and the graphics are magnificent (the terrain/exterior parts are anyway)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 1, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. AI Dec 9, 2003, 14:14 space captain

Thats easy though, just go into another room and the enemies wont follow you. Yes, they are brilliant.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

7. Good if not quite a classic. Dec 9, 2003, 14:09 banksie

Chrome's single player is actually quite fun once you get your head around the slightly different playstyle it wants. Chrome was all about setting up ambushes and sneaking up on enemies. Use of silenced weapons can make a huge difference and careful use of the aiming and zoom implants gave you a considerable edge over enemies.

On the down side while the exteriors were beautifully rendered the interiors often tended to be sparse and a bit dull. Also till you learn to control the noise you are making, and it seems more sensitive than many FPS to that, the enemies frequently know you are coming and blast away like mad when you open doors. That isn't so bad in the open where range allows weapon inaccuracies to save your butt. But inside that often spelt quick death.

If you approach the game as a sort of Deus Ex lite you should have a good time with it.

6. Re: So what's this like then ? Dec 9, 2003, 13:23 sweetjimmy

the singleplayer game is mediocre (/edit - to be fair, I've only played the first 2 levels /edit). it would have been infinately better with tighter controls; mouselook and moving feels wobbly/sloppy to me. I'm also stuck in the second mission; I don't know where to go, so I quit playing it and instead got into RS3 for the xbox.

I wish i could comment on the multiplay; it looks like it could be pretty sweet with gigantic maps and vehicles, but I've yet to find a server that pings under the 700-1000 range. (i haven't looked very hard, i'll admit)

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 13:25.

5. Re: S'ok Dec 9, 2003, 13:21 XEON

LMAO - ok forgot that was the unwritten rule

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

===

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

4. S'ok Dec 9, 2003, 13:19 Da Stylin' Rastan

It's not bad, I was just writing a commonly posed question on this forum about patches in acronym form. Who has time to write the whole thing out, after all?

-DSR

3. Re: Obligatory Dec 9, 2003, 13:13 XEON

that good DSR ?

===

2. Obligatory Dec 9, 2003, 13:06 Da Stylin' Rastan

ITTPTMTGF?

-DSR

1. So what's this like then ? Dec 9, 2003, 13:00 XEON

I played the demo and tbh wasn't all that impressed. Certainly looked like it had potential but maybe one to wait until it hit the bargain bin.

This patch has got me interested though...anyone share any opinions on the full game ? (good & bad)

===

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo