Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FireStarter Demo Patch

The promised patch for the FireStarter demo is now available, addressing a framerate issue with GSC Game Worlds first-person shooter demo, while also enhancing the demo's included role-playing elements. The patch is a 100 KB download, available from 3D Gamers, Boomtown, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 19:37 Wasyl

You can turn slow motion off, in the options. That was the first thing I did, then the game only sucks moderately.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 19:10 vacs

it's pretty and runs smooth, has cool effects lke the slow motion

I thought the slow motion was a bug and that the patch would address it. Unfortunately this isn't the case and slow motion persists which for me destroys the fun of the demo.

I don't want to play a fast-paced FPS in slow motion because this contradicts itself. There's currently only one game which implements slow motion correctly and that is Max Payne.

34. nice Dec 9, 2003, 18:07 Hump

The new patch changes the game drastically...for the better. They added the special abilities and speed increases as you open new sections of the level so that by the time you're almost finished your moving like a rocket. Good stuff.

I'm still pissed about having no online capability...it wouldve been mucho fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 1, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

33. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 16:24 EvilGoof_Trollboy

and as if by magic i have! btw isnt xmp supposed to have been released today ? sure the special edition of u2 was in store today

32. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 15:36 space captain

I dunno, play some XMP and I bet you forget about this really quick

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

31. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 13:20 EvilGoof_Trollboy

try and set up a game and see who joins, you're gonna be lonely...

30. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 13:17 XEON

This was posted in the FireStarter thread when the demo was released:

"according to a post on GSC forums by a GSC moderator, MP is lan only.

*snip
"Unfortunatelly, the publisher inserted the wrong manual. The MP mode supports up to 32 players and works via LAN only. We are currently bringing this issue up with the publisher . I am not sure if there will be a MP patch."

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

29. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 13:14 Uzibat

Hate to kill this 'discussion' but Firestarter's site says....

"Up to 8 players will be able to join in a multiplayer game over LAN or the Internet."

28. Re: the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 12:35 EvilGoof_Trollboy

my nans fat ass looks better than dx:iw

/me tries to wipe *that* memory

"but I can see it being a blast to play with people who don't play every day in a lan game"

well they'd have to being playing it across a lan cos there is *no* internet. if it had internet i'd give it a go just to see how it is

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 12:46.

27. the game is good Dec 9, 2003, 12:34 Yutz

it's pretty and runs smooth, has cool effects lke the slow motion. Sorry but it looks way better than DX2:IW and most the games out now, sure it's mindless play but I can see it being a blast to play with people who don't play every day in a lan game. Most my friends that I play with don't have time to go through the learning curve of a lot of games and this one looks like fun

just my opinion

26. Re: What? Dec 9, 2003, 12:31 XEON

Adding online network functionality means that they'd have to (possibly) change the way data is passed across the network.

My money would be that they are simply passing too much information or carrying out too many calculations and therefore need the bandwidth of a LAN (or broadband maybe ?) for it to work.

Could also be down to the fact that they don't have the cash to fund whatever extra development time they need to get it done (which would have to be assessed next to projected sales) This being a $20 title means that they'd have to sell a lot more units to acheive this.

Of course, they could just be living in the land of pink cheese and think that either everyone has access to a LAN or they simply don't care that people can't play this online. If they patch the demo or bring out an updated taster with proper online I'd give it another go. Been a whilst since there has been a good fun mp game to play.

Edit: added stuff

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 12:34.

===

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

25. Re: What? Dec 9, 2003, 12:28 John

Ah, I see. That's not too bad I suppose.. but I'm not that interested in internet play anyways.

It wouldn't be that hard for them to add internet play, would it? If XMP can be added to a game that doesn't have any multiplayer, then it shouldn't be too hard for GSC to expand their multiplayer.

This space is available for rent

24. Re: What? Dec 9, 2003, 12:20 EvilGoof_Trollboy

the multiplayer is for lan only. no internet play.

good eh ?

23. What? Dec 9, 2003, 12:19 John

I thought this had multiplayer. What's the 'Multiplayer' in the demo for then?

This space is available for rent

22. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 12:19 306

I think had it had the on line side I would have been more willing to seperate cash from wallet. I think that was a pretty big error not having that and may cost them.

If you can't improve on silence then don't speak.

21. its not that hard.... morons Dec 9, 2003, 12:16 EvilGoof_Trollboy

are easy to spot, start with the fanboys and work up

20. it's just that... Dec 9, 2003, 12:13 Jigen

the collective IQ here is so low, it's hard to tell one moron from the next, that's all.

19. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 12:12 XEON

Give me internet play and I might consider this, pretty short sighted not to include it as it could have been a fun DM.

===

18. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 12:10 EvilGoof_Trollboy

Ah, you recognise a fellow member of the Morons Club eh ?

lol well that told me.

17. Re: meh Dec 9, 2003, 12:10 madbunny

And you think that by producing *yet another* mediocre game helps the industry do you Jigen?

And as for arcadey action.......WTF??? I think that comes under "Done to death" You are not a Benny tied to a tree at all........you are quite clearly on the loose!!

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 12:11.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo