Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 10, 2003, 13:03 bjbgraphics

ic ic... interesting. omg, did you see this link? http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/custer.shtml

Edit: Geez, there is alot about his game apparently: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Custer%27s+Revenge&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

BJB

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 13:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 10, 2003, 10:17 Von Helmet

It seems, having read this http://libertus.net/censor/fallacies.html#vg that the game was in fact entitled Custer's Revenge."

The article only said this about the "Custard's Revenge" Title.

"(Note: There was apparently a game called Custers Revenge produced and available for the Atari 2600 system in the early 1980s. That may or may not have some connection with claims that a game titled Custer's Last Stand was allegedly poised hit the Australian market in 1992/93.)"

BJB

Well, when I searched for "Custer's Last Stand", that urban myth site was the best I got, but it pointed me in the direction of Custer's Revenge which I searched for, and it seems that was real.

20. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 10, 2003, 10:01 bjbgraphics

"It seems, having read this http://libertus.net/censor/fallacies.html#vg that the game was in fact entitled Custer's Revenge."

The article only said this about the "Custer's Revenge" Title.

"(Note: There was apparently a game called Custers Revenge produced and available for the Atari 2600 system in the early 1980s. That may or may not have some connection with claims that a game titled Custer's Last Stand was allegedly poised hit the Australian market in 1992/93.)"

BJB

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 12:56.

19. Re: GTA3 and selective ethics Dec 9, 2003, 18:12 rist3903

There are people uttering stereotypical jewish phrases on the golf course in gta vice city.

18. Re: GTA3 and selective ethics Dec 9, 2003, 17:58 Tim1_2

You get ahead in GTA3 by killing cops, so the statement that the game "advocates killing cops" is fairly accurate, but it does not advocate "killing cops and women." Never in the game do you get ahead by just bumping off a few chicks. Anyway, I have been feeling like going on a murderous rampage targeting Haitians, and now I guess I have GTA3 to blame.

Gimme a break.

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: NHL 2004, Day of Defeat

Currently playing: DayZ

17. Re: DX: IW (long...winded that is) Dec 9, 2003, 17:29 Von Helmet

And on the other hand...

Does anyone recall the furor over an old independantly produced 1980's Atari 2600 game cart called "Custer's Last Stand" (CLS)? In it the player as Custer had various options to sexually molest an Indian 'squaw' that was tied to a post. The public was shocked and outraged and the game was forcibly killed and recalled.

Yet the same arguments made defending GTA3 apply to CLS.

Yet again I've no doubt GTA3 defenders would be appalled at CLS, or at the "kill the negroes" Quake mod that popped up a few months ago, and would have no problem Banning THOSE games. Cuz those games are Bad and Wrong.

But oh no, not the Sacred Holy Righteous GTA3.
That game is Freedom of Expression which is clearly Different.
Right.

Game defenders and critics alike are equally guilty of phoney baloney convenient rationalizations, situation ethics, and selective hypocrisy.

Normally I'm all for censorship, but I'd actually stand up for GTA3 here, same as I stood up for Hitman 2 all those months ago. It's not targeting all people in that ethnic group, just a specific set, and with an arguably well founded reason.
Sexually molesting a squaw in CLS? That's a bit over the line really. Or killing niggers (oooh, I said it!) in a Quake mod... that's just outright racist. Are you killing the niggers because they moved in on your turf and stole your drug market (or whatever the reason in GTA3 is) or just because they're black? The thing is, in GTA3 it could be anyone involved. You could be killing people of any ethnic origin. The reason for killing them isn't their ethnic origin, it's their gang affiliation or whatever. Same as I'm sure you kill white gang members in the same game.

I doubt CLS featured the option to rape any white women.

That said, I find it interesting that we accept murder in games, yet decry sex type stuff. Mind you, I guess you can argue that killing someone achieves a goal for the greater good, whereas rape, it's fair to say, doesn't.

Edit added below:

It seems, having read this http://libertus.net/censor/fallacies.html#vg that the game was in fact entitled Custer's Revenge.
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 17:38.

16. Re: GTA3 and selective ethics Dec 9, 2003, 16:59 TheBigVlad

Actually no, I wouldn't ban those games you mentioned either, because that would be what we call CENSORSHIP. And to say the GTA games advocate killing cops and women is just ridiculous. Why's it always "cops and women" anyway? Nothing wrong with killing caucasian men right?

15. Re: GTA3 and selective ethics Dec 9, 2003, 16:59 FourPak

oh yeah and if anything should be banned it's the new Battlestar Galactica!!!

14. GTA3 and selective ethics Dec 9, 2003, 16:45 FourPak

And on the other hand...

Does anyone recall the furor over an old independantly produced 1980's Atari 2600 game cart called "Custer's Last Stand" (CLS)? In it the player as Custer had various options to sexually molest an Indian 'squaw' that was tied to a post. The public was shocked and outraged and the game was forcibly killed and recalled.

Yet the same arguments made defending GTA3 apply to CLS.

Yet again I've no doubt GTA3 defenders would be appalled at CLS, or at the "kill the negroes" Quake mod that popped up a few months ago, and would have no problem Banning THOSE games. Cuz those games are Bad and Wrong.

But oh no, not the Sacred Holy Righteous GTA3.
That game is Freedom of Expression which is clearly Different.
Right.

Game defenders and critics alike are equally guilty of phoney baloney convenient rationalizations, situation ethics, and selective hypocrisy.

13. ... Dec 9, 2003, 16:03 the_nemesis

I think the only ethnic group not featured in a game where you can kill them are Jews.

<sarcasm> I wonder why!!!

12. GTA Mod Dec 9, 2003, 15:53 the_nemesis

Please, somebody make a GTA mod where the city population is comprised of only Mayor Bloomberg, Dubya, Dicky Cheney, That black oil-sucking bitch working for dubya, Liebermann, Bush the Original, Ronald Reagan, Nixon, Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher, that signing Italian president, Vladimir Poutine, everybody against video games, Jean Chretien, Paul Martin, hell, add every fucking money or oil corrupted politian and rich fucking bastards with no heart in the mix. That would be the best mod EVER. I just want to mow down these mofos with any vehicule and every weapon possible.

11. defending GTA Dec 9, 2003, 15:27 HIGH_PING

If I remember correctly, the game used "Kill the haitians" which wouldn't make it rascist because it targets a specific group of haitians, not all haitians. I bet the human rights stereotypes wouldn't give a damn if it said "Kill caucasians".

10. Re: Gun pulled?! Dec 9, 2003, 14:31 Sphinx

WTF is wrong with people? Putting a gun to someone's head over a counter-strike tournament that he didn't even participate in? That guy needs to be locked up for a long time at the very least.

What's worse is that drivel like this will be splashed across the screen of CNN on their live show and their website yet something like what Penny Arcade is trying to do will go largely unnoticed.

-Sphinx

9. Re: Haitians? Dec 9, 2003, 14:29 bjbgraphics

Yeah, I believe GTA3 had "Jamaicans" and GTA:VC has "Haitians"...

I am not exactly sure though where it says "Kill Haitians"... maybe during one of the rampages?

EDIT: misread nin's post

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 14:33.

8. Re: Haitians? Dec 9, 2003, 14:05 nin

There's a series of missions...I think (it's been awhile) where you start in a diner, working for the Cubans, fighting the Haitian gangs. Then, you end up working for the Haitians, trying to fight the Cubans.

I don't recall the exact phrase "Kill Haitians" being said, but as I've said, it's been awhile...

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Haitians? Dec 9, 2003, 13:53 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

"Kill Haitians" is that on the box or is something said by a character in the game?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

6. Re: Haitians? Dec 9, 2003, 13:43 nin

I don't remember killing any Haitians in GTA....oh wait, they mean GTA3. Ok, my bad.

Vice City...

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 13:38 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

I hope charges were pressed in that CS incident. This just confirms my belief that gaming still belongs to lonely fucked in the head geeks. Pulling a gun at a what's essentially a LAN party, how lame can you get?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

4. Re: Gun pulled?! Dec 9, 2003, 13:29 nimski

And his clan mates kept telling him to pull the trigger?!?!

It seems to be getting harder and harder to be recognized as a responsible industry. Where are all the addictive zero-sum games? Where's the game theory?

3. Gun pulled?! Dec 9, 2003, 13:10 Santiago

WTF is wrong with people? Putting a gun to someone's head over a counter-strike tournament that he didn't even participate in? That guy needs to be locked up for a long time at the very least.  
-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo