Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Tomorrow is the tenth birthday(!!!) of the game that brought terms like "deathmatch," "gib," and "suck it down" into our vernacular. I definitely need to round up some of my mutant buddies to make sure we have some updated version of DOOM installed to celebrate the occasion. Last one with a telefrag is a rotten egg!

Play Time: Fan and Ball. Thanks markus friedl.
Stories of the Day: Web gambling pioneer sets sights on Internet pot. Thanks Tony!!!
You've got a friend ... of a friend ... of a friend ...
Europe begins program to reduce noise.
Science!: Study links light drinking, brain shrinking.
Ironing Out Blood Impurities.
Heads-Up Displays Move From Cockpits to Cyclists’ Helmets (registration required).
Media of the Day: Project Looking Glass Demo. Thanks Ajax.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Building a new computer Dec 10, 2003, 14:16 eunichron

We were lied to, flat out.
If that's true, then we've been being lied to since 1991, so you can't place the blame squarely on Bush. As I've said before, the blame should go to the CIA and NSA. They're the ones that handle intelligence, they're the ones that present it to the administration and congress. Everything Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II said about Iraq's WMDs was true according to the intelligence we had at the time, and was backed up by the 20-something resolutions the U.N. has passed regarding Iraq and weapons inspections since 1991. If it does turn out there really aren't ANY WMDs there, or evidence (remember, all official reports are still inconclusive), then it's a major fuck up on the part of the intelligence agencies.
He claimed the whole Iraq thing was for "freedom", but when Taiwan expresses interest, he's not willing to help.
Iraq also posed an immediate interest. It gives us a foothold in the Middle East, where we need one most right now. What would defending Taiwan give us? 300,000 troops dead, and possibly a few ICBMs (supplied by Clinton!) in our backyard. It's not worth it, especially when the rest of the world doesn't even consider Taiwan a sovereign nation, and thus would be even more difficult to convince them to help if China ever decided to invade.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Building a new computer Dec 10, 2003, 10:11 nin

Oh, and for the record -- I'm a moderate. I accepted the invasion of Iraq on the presumption that we must have intelligence that showed a clear and present threat. Because anything else would be amazingly stupid and would forfeit all of the good-will generated by the 9/11 attacks. Fooled me once.

We were lied to, flat out. The reason I brought this up was to show how insincere monkey-boy is. We didn't invade Iraq for terrorism, or for WOMaD. We entered it because dubya had a chip on his shoulder, and he saw his opportunity to tie it into his "war on terror".

He claimed the whole Iraq thing was for "freedom", but when Taiwan expresses interest, he's not willing to help. Because #1, he wasn't sincere about "freedom" in other nations to begin with, #2 China is one of the nations that could kick our (U.S.) ass, and #3, we deal in a lot of trade with China, and he doesn't want to lose that (despite the fact that, year after year, The U.S. says "China, you need to fix your human rights issues.", and China says "We'll look into that." and the U.S responds by saying "Great! Let's trade some more!").

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50. Re: Building a new computer Dec 10, 2003, 10:07 Rigs

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EL04Ak04.html

Depressing for sure...

=-Rigs-=

'Is it the man come to take me away? Why do they follow me? It’s not the future that I can see, It’s just my fantasy.'

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

49. Re: Building a new computer Dec 10, 2003, 09:38 Zathrus

we "liberated" Iraq, so the people could have "freedom" (supposedly), yet once China enters the picture

If you want a much better example, look at North Korea. There's a country that already has nuclear weapon material (and potentially nukes) and is actively working on medium and long range missile technology. All while their people starve. And we have a military presence there to boot (well, in South Korea at least). They're making both South Korea and Japan really, really nervous (and if you look into the history of Japan and Korea you'd know why the Japanese are nervous -- payback's a bitch), and long range missiles would make most of SE Asia and the US nervous.

But we're backing off because China is involved (China is North Korea's biggest trading partner).

If you want to claim that Bush is "ridding the world of evil" (which appears to be the new line, since the terrorist angle has been proven false) then when the hell are we going to step into Zimbabwe and oust Mugabe? There's a genocidal dictator for you. Funny thing is, the same folks who are saying that this is why we were justified in attacking Iraq are the same ones that were screaming their heads off when Clinton sent US troops into Bosnia and Somalia. That the US shouldn't be the global police force and what not.

Oh, and for the record -- I'm a moderate. I accepted the invasion of Iraq on the presumption that we must have intelligence that showed a clear and present threat. Because anything else would be amazingly stupid and would forfeit all of the good-will generated by the 9/11 attacks. Fooled me once.

So now we get to stay there for the next few years to a decade until they get a decent government up and running. Leaving now would be an even greater travesty than what has already occurred, and would lead to another dictatorship. This one probably worse than the last. (All of which is why Bush, Sr. didn't take out Hussein in the first Gulf War)

48. Re: Media of the day Dec 10, 2003, 09:38 nin

Now I'm feeling a little bit let down by the end of that quest. I'm done with it for the night.

I was cheating like crazy by the end of that game...might give it another run once I finish KOTOR...

47. gibs Dec 10, 2003, 08:02 [NM]AdamW

I'm sure we talked about gibs in Doom before Quake ever came out. When you hit an enemy with a rocket or a barrel (well, to be technical about it, if certain classes of enemy have lower than -70 health when they die, so plasma can also occasionally do it, and the BFG), they don't just die, they sort of explosively decompress into a lot of nasty red bits...I think that was *always* called gibbing, I don't ever remember calling it anything else. I remember one of the early DHT players used to take pride in gibbing as many enemies as possible in all his demos...

46. Re: RSS MIA? Dec 10, 2003, 07:32 Devster

A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource 'http://www.bluesnews.com/news/news_1_0.rdf . Line 135, Position 217

In case it helps...

Nostalgic colours for the unwashed heathens!
Psst: Dan = Fred/fiddlestix. Pass it on.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2009, 12:20.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

45. I don't know????????? Dec 10, 2003, 04:16 The dude

Is this really Blue? or is this the conglomerant...something strange is going on here with the OOTB comments here... I mean I'm getting an ERIE Feeling here...

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 04:19.

-The Dude-

Vic B.

44. Re: Ahh, I remember... Dec 9, 2003, 23:57 pancreas

Fond memories indeed.

I remember playing modem to modem for 5 hours straight and then suddenly getting disconnected from my buddy because someone on my end picked up the phone.

...And that time when the Cyberdemon went over to our spawn point so we had to kill him using only pistols. I saw multiple instances of my buddy doing the death animation. He was killing us that quickly, we could only get maybe 1 or 2 shots at him before becoming another patch of the carpet made from our own corpses. Once the deed was done, and the burned image of that rocket coming towards our faces slowly faded, my buddy could not release the "s" key while typing "yesssssss....".

"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

43. Re: Media of the day Dec 9, 2003, 21:58 Bronco

Go here:

http://www.baldurdash.org/

You can get individual patches, or one big patch (fan made) that correct most, if not all of the issues that remained...

Thank you. I've been to their site before but was hesitant to apply third party patches. I gave it a shot.

It seems to have fixed my problem. Secret text as Santiago seems to be behind me in the game:

The Warden stayed dead. It took me two passes at him before he kicked without anyone else dead and blown to bits or stoned.

I used the staff of air to summon an air elemental and Jaheira summoned a fire elemental. The added bodies seemed to disperse some of the damage away from my monk. Oh, I cast improved invisibility on him as well and that may have helped.

Now I'm feeling a little bit let down by the end of that quest. I'm done with it for the night.

Thanks again nin,

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

-TPFKAS2S

42. Re: Upgrade Time Dec 9, 2003, 19:36 The Truth

my advice:

since your going to be buying a new computer from scratch, take apart your current one to get a good 'feel' of how its done etc,.. take out some ram, drop it back in, do the same with the hard drives and CD drives (ie switch their master slave settings and IDE cables).

getting a good idea ahead of time of how things are supposed to look and feel can save you much grief!

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!

------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

41. WHEW!! Dec 9, 2003, 18:56 Enahs

YEAY!
No more classes, and only one more final! And it is a easy one that will require little (but some) studying!

WHOOHOOO! Time to really play all the new games! Thank the good lord

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

40. Re: Upgrade Time Dec 9, 2003, 18:31 Tony!!!

I saw the three exclamation marks and for a brief moment thought that you included my name in the post of the day. YES, Im famous.

*sigh* Alas, another dream smashed to bits.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

39. Re: Upgrade Time Dec 9, 2003, 18:29 Fang

Does anyone have that link to the program that kept the flash "popups" away? A few here and there were okay, like the popups, but now many of my frequent websites are overdoing it.

38. Re: Upgrade Time Dec 9, 2003, 18:19 ExcessDan

should scrap ME while they're at it

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Did someone say KOTOR?
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 18:19.

ExcessDan

37. Upgrade Time Dec 9, 2003, 17:45 Bunko

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1002736.asp?cp1=1

Uh-oh

Looks like it's high time I upgraded. Hmmmm... XP Pro I guess.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

36. Re: Building a new computer Dec 9, 2003, 17:43 Bunko

I was a bit dumbfounded by that too. The Man Who Sees in Black and White cannot even follow his own "values". I'm sure some will quickly pipe in that the relationship between China and Taiwan is more complicated, but to Dubya, nothing is complicated.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Dec 9, 17:44.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

35. Re: Shadowbane Dec 9, 2003, 17:27 the_nemesis

an somebody PLEASE update that Shadowbane popup thingie? It says "Starts 25th March" but that's a while ago...
Second time I've seen that ad pop up here =(

they won't update it, they're just too proud they actually managed to survive more than 6 months, that's why!

34. counter Dec 9, 2003, 17:17 tron

anybody else notice that the secret text counter on the bottom of the page is no longer there? is this temporary during the overhaul, or the new standard? i kind of liked taking a peek at it once in a while just to see how things were looking...

- tron -

---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

33. Re: Building a new computer Dec 9, 2003, 17:12 nin

I just think it's funny...we "liberated" Iraq, so the people could have "freedom" (supposedly), yet once China enters the picture (a superpower that the U.S. would have difficulties pushing around), Bush does a 180 and says Taiwan and China need to reconcile.

Kinda a double standard, if we follow Bush-logic (HA!)...

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo