Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Isle, Fallout 3 Dead

More bad news at Black Isle Studios, where lead designer J.E. Sawyer resigned just last month (story), as Farewell, but not goodbye on the Interplay Entertainment Forums (thanks Nels Nelson) is a post from Damien "Puuk" Foletto that indicates that the studio is now shut down, referring to today as his "last day at the (former) BIS." This follows suit with a note sent along by designer John Deiley:

Today marks the end of an era. Black Isle Studios is no more. In yet another sweeping layoff of employees, Interplay has officially let go the last of it's Black Isle employees (save two that I know of) and dissolved the division. Also, the non-announced title that the division was working on, Fallout 3, has been "shelved" to quote management.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

24. Although not shocking... Dec 8, 2003, 22:50 Ray Marden

...this definitely "sucks" all the same.

R.I.P.

Saluting the company as it sinks to its grave,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, let's play nice now.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 22:42 RazorWynd

Fallout 3, has been "shelved" to quote management.

i prefer the phrase "shitcanned"

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

22. Sad Dec 8, 2003, 22:41 O.DOGG

I'm very saddened to see this happen. Black Isle made the best games I've played (Torment, the Fallouts) and now they're gone. It is truly the ending of an era. I hope they continue to make great games somewhere and I wish them the very best of luck in the future. Thank you for the incredible games!

21. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 22:40 RazorWynd

omgwtf wallhax

http://www.firingsquad.com

20. Re: so dearly sorry Dec 8, 2003, 22:37 mag

While I still would like to extend a nice hearty "Fuck You" to Interplay, I would also like to wish good luck to the BIS guys, even though they're probably not reading.

Planescape: Torment was probably the best game I've ever played. The Fallouts (and System Shocks, but that's another rant) come in next. Hope ya guys get to create some more cool games elsewhere.

19. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 22:35 Sho

You will not be forgotten.

18. Re: so dearly sorry Dec 8, 2003, 22:33 nin

Very, very sad news. And right before the holidays, too...

I feel bad for everyone at BIS. Hopefully the downtime will be very short.

Good luck to all of you, and Thank You for all the great times you and your games gave me.

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. so dearly sorry Dec 8, 2003, 22:25 Max

I just wanted to thank the Black Isle Studios team for one of the greatest series of games of late 90s... I still haven't played the fallouts...i have the cd for 2, will get to it, I promise...but in addition, the two Icewind dale games, and their masterpiece, Planescape: Torment, which is possibly the greatest game of all time. You guys raised games to art; I sincerely believe that Torment was a literary achievement. It was a work of true greatness. Everyone else--please play this if you haven't.

It is a real debacle that we should have game studios like this and looking glass going down on either side; I don't know what to blame--consoles, changing tastes, the chronic unprofitability of great games. But Black Isle is proof that the greatest games of all time will appear most frequently on the PC and that they will often be underappreciated in their own time.

It was with great sadness that I read this.

I hope each and everyone of their employees finds work and continues to spread their genius.

Have wonderful holidays, all of you.

Yours sincerely,

Max

16. Dull Surprise. Dec 8, 2003, 22:10 mag

While this doesn't surprise me in the least, following Sawyer's resignation, I still feel the need to say the following.

Fuck Interplay. Fuck them up their stupid asses.

15. Re: Shelved Dec 8, 2003, 22:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Literally shed tears over this one. Since the passing of LGS, Black Isle Studios has been my favorite developer. Truly unfortunate that a design studio that has made the best CRPGs ever has to die. Good luck Puuk and the rest of the BI crew, don't let this put a dampener on the holidays.

14. No Dec 8, 2003, 22:08 Sasquach

Well shit.  
--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

13. Re: Shelved Dec 8, 2003, 22:04 Mad Max RW

You forgot to mention how they canned Fallout 3 to work on Fallout:BOS 2, the sequel to the upcoming PS2/Xbox abomination.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 22:05.

12. Shelved Dec 8, 2003, 21:59 Kier

Interplay needs to be shelved.. permanently

11. ..... Dec 8, 2003, 21:58 Magus

Oh

My

God....

10. god dammit! Dec 8, 2003, 21:58 fr0s7y

Interplay is the biggest piece of shit publisher in the history of games! I hope someone gets to make Fallout 3, it's an awesome franchise.

9. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 21:56 DDI

cry

8. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 21:45 Pete

gg black isle studios

another reason to not like interplay

and dont give me that wasnt interplays fault crap

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

Doin' it Big

7. Another Through the Looking Glass Dec 8, 2003, 21:41 Hunterzyph

It's a shame that another team that once turned out masterpieces has been dismantled, to go where the wind blows them...

6. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 21:41 TheFragMan

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Frag

5. shazbot Dec 8, 2003, 21:40 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

....................*SIGH*

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo