Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mac Halo Gold

Halo.Bungie.Org (thanks Frans) has word that the Halo story has finally come full circle, and Bungie's shooter is now gold for the Macintosh. Word is the game: "went into duplication late Friday night, December 5th. It'll be hitting store shelves soon!"

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 13:55 Fang

Mac Halo got released!!! HAHAH, I still remember with tears of laughter in my eyes, the expression of my "Apple is the greatest ever" co-worker's face who had been ecstatic about Halo when I told him that Microsoft had bought Bungie. That was more than 3 years ago.

I think this is another perfect Red Vs Blue moment:
http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/switch/RvB_switch.mov

This Red Vs Blue time has been brought to you by the letter A.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 08:27 Nefilim

no, Halo did suck.

21. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 07:42 Midnight

Come on. Halo isn't perfect, but it's not all bad either. Why do people seem to think that there are only two things that a game can do - rock or suck?

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

20. The Short Summary... Dec 9, 2003, 06:58 HBringer

Halo for XBox was great - its about the best First-Person-Shooter for the console (there have been WAAY too many crappy ones!).

But since it was designed for consoles, its inevitable that it would suffer in its porting back over to a platform that's just plain BETTER for the genre (i.e. a Desktop with a Keyboard & Mouse).

But the SIMPLE fact of the matter is - its now 2 years OLD! The industry waits for no one; and the technology and gameplay are constantly being revised and improved. Same thing goes for ports in the opposite direction: I bet CounterStrike for the XBox sucks, too - its based on 1997/98 technology! And beyond the technical obsolescence - After a certain period of time, all the "fans" will have either bought it for another system, played it on a friend's system, or just given up on it.

*sigh* Ah, well.

--Noel "HB" Wade
Who thinks that if you can't port a game 6 months from its original ship-date, its not worth it!

19. Re: Don't Do It! Dec 9, 2003, 04:57 Mr Gar

"Prepare to be bored!"

White arrows on the floors to find your way out of the cut and paste mazes. Nuff said.

18. Don't Do It! Dec 9, 2003, 01:47 Merlin_[F8S]

10 to 1 that, if you buy this steaming piece of shit, you will think to yourself, "My! Why did I buy a 'Steaming Piece of Shit!'". Did I mention that Halo on the PC sucks ass? Halo on the PC sucks ass. I am sure that it will be no better on the Mac.

17. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 23:51 MeatForce

According to the porting crew at Westlake Interactive, these are realistic requirements for running the game, and it will run quite well on anything from this rig on up. The game is heavily optimized for Mac hardware and will apparently run like a champ on supported configurations

Well, I will certainly let you know.

I always did say I'd pick up Mac Halo no matter what condition it ships in, if only out of some twisted (by now) allegiance to Bungie.. I don't normally buy games for my Macs though, as there's usually no point..

Westlake is pretty reliable, so if that's what they're saying, I'm optimistic indeed.I'm crossing my fingers for G5 optimizations in a patch of some kind, but not holding my breath..

Would love to see what this 2GHz dualie could do with a game that was optimized to really work it over though. It would be sweetly fitting if that game were Halo, somehow..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

16. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 23:43 ReDeeMeR

Haha, I'm actualy kinda happy Halo was shite preformer, it didnt live up for PC gaming and hopefully we'll get less of this "made for a console-ported to PC" shit

15. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 23:33 Midnight

Westlake interactive are an excellent Mac porting co. - they have a reputation for getting it right along with regular patches and keeping the community informed.

I just find it amusing (and annoying) that a game originally annouced at a MacWorld expo and first demoed on a G3 has finally been released on Mac after everyone else got it first. Steve Jobs must be rather pissed of at the moment - and to think he shaked Jason Jones' hand hwen Halo was first presented.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

14. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 23:10 toT

"Recommended: 1GHz G4/G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.3, 512MB RAM, 64MB AGP Video Card (GeForce 4ti-ATI 9000 or better)."

According to the porting crew at Westlake Interactive, these are realistic requirements for running the game, and it will run quite well on anything from this rig on up. The game is heavily optimized for Mac hardware and will apparently run like a champ on supported configurations

13. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 22:50 nin

Don't forget that the PC port of Halo wasn't done by Bungie.
And perhaps more importantly (though this remains to be seen):
Don't forget that the Mac port of Halo wasn't done by Gearbox!

Good point! I wonder who did the mac port? Wouldn't be surprised if it runs better than the PC version...

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 22:45 RazorWynd

hahaha mac gamers....good one

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

11. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 22:36 amygdala

I wouldn't say that HALO was boring, so much as I would say that it was terribly, terribly repetitious. Did anyone notice that in an era where games regularly ship on three or even four CDs, HALO shipped on one?

That's called map recycling, folks.

10. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 22:20 MeatForce

And perhaps more importantly (though this remains to be seen):
Don't forget that the Mac port of Halo wasn't done by Gearbox!

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

9. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 22:09 Haren

Lets not forget that the company that MS farmed the game out to, did the best they could before being rushed into releasing the game well before it could be evectively alpha'ed let alone beta'ed. Let us not also forget that MS is the reason that the PC version has yet to see the fabled 1.03 patch which the farmed company sent to testing well over a month ago.

8. Coded in OpenGL.... Dec 8, 2003, 21:43 Hunterzyph

None of those nasty DX9 shaders to worry about killing performance.

7. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 20:30 werbwerb

Prepare to be bored!  
----
Some people risk to employ me...
Some people live to destroy me...
...Either way, they die.

6. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 20:17 Cygnus

5. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 19:57 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

But either way, I'm glad I'm not a Mac Gamer.

heheh, there's no such thing.

4. Re: G5 Dec 8, 2003, 19:51 amygdala

You forgot that anything developed for the XBOX will, by definition, run terribly at resolutions greater than 640x480.

As evidence, I give you Deus Ex: Invisible War.

(Actually I recently played a friend's copy of HALO at 800x600 and 1024x768 and it was better at the lesser of the two but not unplayable at the higher resolution.)

But either way, I'm glad I'm not a Mac Gamer.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo