Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry Beta Sign-ups

Ubisoft sends word that the promised (story) sign-ups for beta testing of Far Cry are getting underway today. Here's the story:

Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers announced FAR CRY PC Multiplayer Beta test. Commencing on Monday, December 8th at 20:00 GMT, 5,000 gamers worldwide will have the exclusive opportunity to take part in a multiplayer beta test for Ubisoft's cutting-edge First Person Shooter (FPS) Far Cry(tm).

Far Cry is a first-person shooter set in a lush tropical paradise that sets out to bring the first-person shooter to an entirely new level of entertainment and technical excellence. Far Cry's final multiplayer mode will utilize some of the key features of the Single Player game such as Long range gameplay, Vehicular gameplay and Beautiful tropical environments.

It will also include unique innovative features :

-The "sniper flare" that allows other players in the game to pinpoint the position of other snipers by light reflecting from the sniper scope.

-The support class which can build or even repair destructible structures such as bunkers, towers, roadblocks, mounted weapons and walls.

The beta test registration will run for several days from Monday, December 8th 2003. These individuals will be the first people outside of Ubisoft to experience this highly anticipated FPS, and they will also work with the team in order to help balance the game.

The initial beta signup will take place on December 8th 2003. Registration will be via links on the www.farcry-thegame.com.

Once registration is closed, Ubisoft will select 5,000 testers that will best reflect the widest variety of geographical locations.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Paying for multiplayer beta testers... Dec 8, 2003, 17:00 Kxmode

All I'm saying is more games are moving towards an Internet-based Multiplayer platform and companies are becoming increasingly dependent on broad-scale testing. They need to start compensating people even if it's as simple as a free copy of the game or a 50% discount. Forget the fact that all testers bring their computers, their connections, and their gameplay experience… what about their time? A person's time is worth more than anything else. This, above everything else, should be the one thing a person is compensated for. That's the way things work in any other industry.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: OMG Dec 8, 2003, 16:58 Beamer

4D: All game companies have testers on salary, without exception.

Eventually many games go to a private volunteer beta test, just because 10,000 people will find errors 10 never could. More importantly it will bring the developers closer to the fanbase and give them feedback while they're tweaking gameplay. Volunteer beta for SP is more often than not gameplay tweaking, not bug finding.

Multiplayer betatests are to test the system's infrastructure. You need thousands to accurately do this. Can't pay thousands and keep the game under $200. Again, they also want to get feedback on their balancing in the multiplayer.

Unless companies compensated HUNDREDS of testers there's no way to have this done with paid testers. Thinking so is a bit unreasonable.

The final reason testing goes out to hundreds or thousands of unpaid players is the same reason PC games have bugs more often than consoles: variation. There might be a hardware conflict affecting 5% of computers out there. Odds are your testing base won't have this error, but some kid in Spokane, WA will, and report it, letting them fix the problem before release.

Consoles have the nice luxury of knowing the exact hardware a program is being run on, making testing easy. What happens on one will happen on the other, what doesn't happen on one won't happen on the other. Easy. 10 kids can be paid to find most bugs (not all, lots of consoles still have rather serious bugs, even old NES games did).

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: OMG Dec 8, 2003, 16:46 4D-Boxing

You have the right to have that opinion, but expect most PC games to keep coming out with bugs and patches being released with the games until most beta testers get compensated. If you are beta testing a patch thenok no pay but a full product come on.

Like you said you get to play the game in advance, once you have what motivates you to help the dev tram improve the product? Unless they are communist money will be the only way to motivate them. It's like expecting people to do the registration and send in the bugs they find in a game. I've never heard of anybody doing that!

That is why console have QA departements and beta testing departements!! It just makes good business sense to make sure your product is good. Look at the way console games sell!!

19. Paying for multiplayer beta testers... Dec 8, 2003, 16:41 Hunterzyph

...will never happen. There will *always* people who are willing to do it for free. What multiplayer beta testing is for is balance issues along with wide spread instability issues. Mostly to make sure that the game is fun.

As for single-player beta testers. These guys *do* have hard jobs. You play the same game over every single day (5 days a week) on various computer setups looking for anything out of the ordinary. If you find something, your job is to reproduce it. You have to try EVERYTHING that some nimwit might out there. Generally games have between 1 and 4 full-time testers. About the time that the game is stable enough so that the developers can have deathmatches after hours, you're so sick of the textures you'd rather go outside and take a hike.

Plus the pay isn't so hot. Blizzard had an opening recently. Was $10 an hour.

18. Re: OMG Dec 8, 2003, 16:38 Kxmode

It's statements like that that keep Game Publishers/Developers coming back to hire Beta testers for no pay. Maybe you should take the red pill.

17. OMG Dec 8, 2003, 16:23 Xero

What bullcrap, I don't care what you think, if you are getting to play a game in advance that you will most likely buy once it's released, that is a privelege! Get paid to beta test?! That is such ludacris! Um, ok, let's say 5000 testers, and we pay them $10 bucks each(that's not a lot),that's $50,000 outta the company. How do they even know if the player will like what they are testing and just bail on them? Unless of course they accept that they must go through a providing feedback nomatter how bad they think the game is process. Of course that's what most beta tests are, I'm sure you idiots clearly read all the little print like YOUR SUPPOSE TO!

Pentium 4, 2.6ghz 800Mhz FSB
1024MB PC3200
Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB DDR

Currently playing: Skyrim

16. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:14 Kxmode

YEah beta testers should be paid, i'm just amazed that ubisoft uses beta testers.

The reason I bring up the topic of public Beta Testers being paid is companies like UbiSoft have funds and they’re too cheap to pay people to test their product on a broad-scale. Think about how much it would cost them to secure 5000 computer and hire 5000 people that “best reflect the widest variety of geographical locations”. The least they could do is pay the Beta Tester’s ISP bill for one month, or get a voucher for a free copy of the game when it comes. They NEVER compensate you for your time. And this whole notion of “you should feel privileged to be among the elite 5000 to beta test our product” is a total joke. Nothing in this world is free, not even your beta testing time. Companies know this and they’re totally taking advantage of and exploiting this. Paying a tester's ISP bill for one month or giving them a free copy of the game when it's releashed would financially be more viable than having a team of in-house QA and BETA testers. The software entertainment industry is one of the few industries showing some incredible profits. I say share some of that wealth with the common folk that help make these games great.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 16:33.

15. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:04 MindStalker

Yea, but they'd only ever consider that if your time was clocked and you were constantly entering bug and status reports, which is honestly unreasonable to expect from the testers or the company to handle that many reports. And there just is simply no easy way to make sure every tester is pulling their weight otherwise. So in short, it ain't gonna happen bucko. Oh yea, and forgot to mention why pay when there are thousands willing to do it for free.

14. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:01 4D-Boxing

YEah beta testers should be paid, i'm just azmazed that ubisoft uses beta testers. Raven shield sure had good beta testers:| I wonder if this has anything to do with the success of the XMP demo.

I've seen on tv rooms full of beta testers and QA guys at nintendo, they're even use it to make sure 3rd party games live up to their standard. Those guys are paid minimum wage but it's alot better than nothing.

13. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:58 space captain

QA dept is a fucking horrible job - trust me you dont want it. You get so burnt out on testing for bugs/leaks that by the time the game is finished, so are you.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

12. actually sniper flare sounds cool Dec 8, 2003, 15:48 MrShoop

I hate snipers (i think they are legit part of gaming, just personally seems lame to me ), so the idea of a flare that will expose location of snipers seems like great idea for game balance. Nothing worse than getting picked off in desert combat 10 times in a row as soon as you spawn cuz there is some sniper hidden on a hill completely out of eyesight unless you are a zoomed in as a sniper yourself.

Best feeling is to finally find those guys, come up behind and knife them.

11. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:37 Kxmode

They do, all the time. Most distribution companies have a collection of full-time employees that just test games.
And they get it first, before a public (this is just a limited public) beta. But they can not employ 5,000 people in that job and still turn a profit, they can not have 5,000 different computer systems to test it on for stability and such.

But they do, and it is a sweet deal for those people(if they like video games)!

How about paying the Beta Tester's ISP bill for one month? Mine comes out to 56.99 a month. If they did that, I'd say well that was worth my time.

10. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:36 Enahs

Bug hunting is no fun for 40+ hours a week

Work some of the crap jobs I have had, and any job where you sit and play games its great! But yes, people do get tired of it quick, and it is only fun for the first week you get a new game, which hopefully that is often! But it is a great way to start in the game business, a lot of people making/designing games today where once lowly testers!

He said it was like being married to a nymphomaniac: fun for about a week.

I dated a girl that could be described as a "nymphomaniac" for 6+ months, and it was fun LONG past the first week, it was fun for the whole damn time we where together actually! So I think your cousin needs help!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:31 Killian

I'd like to test that analogy.

First, I need a nympho... I'll miss my current wife, but this is science, one must make sacrifices.

8. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:28 amygdala

it is a sweet deal for those people(if they like video games)!

My cousin used to do some of this (for Psygnosis, back when they were in business). He said it was like being married to a nymphomaniac: fun for about a week.

Bug hunting is no fun for 40+ hours a week.

7. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:17 nin

Multiplayer test? I wanna test the singleplayer portion of the game.

No s#$%^!

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:13 Enahs

When will Companies pay people who Beta test their games?

They do, all the time. Most distribution companies have a collection of full-time employees that just test games.
And they get it first, before a public (this is just a limited public) beta. But they can not employ 5,000 people in that job and still turn a profit, they can not have 5,000 different computer systems to test it on for stability and such.

But they do, and it is a sweet deal for those people(if they like video games)!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

5. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:04 Kxmode

When will Companies pay people who Beta test their games?

4. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:02 John

Multiplayer test? I wanna test the singleplayer portion of the game.

This space is available for rent

3. Re: Innovative eh? Dec 8, 2003, 15:00 Furious

Come on man, whats wrong with you? How many games actually have Build/repair/destroy structures in a lush tropical paradise? Thats TOTALLY innovative. And a "sniper flare"? You now how drastically that will change the way we play games today and into the future.. oh god.. the potential!!!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo