Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FireStarter Demo

GSC Game World has released a playable demo for FireStarter, their still-gold action-packed first-person shooter. The demo offers solo and multiplayer action, as well as a benchmark, all for a 64 MB download. Mirrors are available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, Filerush, Gamer's Hell, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming.Com, and Worthplaying.

View
97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

37. Re: Windows XP? Oh, HEEEELLLLLLLL NO! Dec 8, 2003, 12:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Not liking WinXP is something I can definitely understand, but what exactly do you have against Win2K? It's by far the best OS MS has released to date. Granted, that doesn't mean it doesn't have problems, as anything made by MS does, but it's still better than the OSes that came before and after it.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Windows XP? Oh, HEEEELLLLLLLL NO! Dec 8, 2003, 12:14 me

Am i the only one disgusted by the fact that you have to be running windows 2000, or XP to play a game? Im sorry, hardware requirements are one thing, those look about right for todays games. But windows 2000... windows XP!? *gag*
---------------------------------------------

1.0 System Requirements

1.1 Minimum system requirements

OS MS Windows 2000

1.2 Recommended system requirements

OS MS Windows XP

35. I sense a love/hate thing going on here Dec 8, 2003, 12:10 Hunterzyph

Sort of reminds me of UT2k3. Some people really enjoyed it, and other people thought it was just not fun.

34. Well... Dec 8, 2003, 11:59 Jigen

I haven't gotten a shooter rush like this since Quake 3, so I'll be getting it, I was just stunned that noone else here liked it.

33. Looks Dated? Dec 8, 2003, 11:58 Sadogoat

I remember stumbling on the official site for this game a few months ago and looking at the screenshots. I thought then that it looked very similar to Quake 3 (with elements of Quake 2). That said, if I want Quake, I'll go play Quake and save myself the cash

32. Re: huh Dec 8, 2003, 11:54 madbunny

"Ill thought out? It's a shooter! Not a first person slasher like Morrowind. And if you complain about the monster designs here, I don't understand how you could stand Morrowind."

Are you a benny tied to a tree?

Morrowwind may lack in asthetics but it actually has quality gaming behind it. This game appears to have neither and the monster design here is hardly breath taking is it?

31. Re: duh. Dec 8, 2003, 11:50 madbunny

duh??

Its just a fact. Whilst you like this game I do not. There is a basic difference of opinion. Thats not so hard to get your head round surely? Why waste cash on something that has been done better in games you probably already own or can pick up in a bargain bin?!

30. welp.. Dec 8, 2003, 11:49 Hump

The problem is that they don't give you nearly enough content to make a good judgement...just a bad one. A lot of the annoying crap like the slow running speed and the standard weapons all change as you play (supposedly) by leveling up with experience points. The trouble is that GSC doesn't let you experience that part of the game in this demo. Take that and add to the fact that Firestarter is under most gamers radar and you have a recipie for a flop.

I'll still grab it for $20 though

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 1, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

29. huh Dec 8, 2003, 11:48 Jigen

Ill thought out? It's a shooter! Not a first person slasher like Morrowind. And if you complain about the monster designs here, I don't understand how you could stand Morrowind.

28. Re: duh. Dec 8, 2003, 11:44 EvilGoof_Trollboy

ahh that kind of rpg, half assed ill thought out. cool. i take it all back

/EGTB throws morrowind away, what was i thinking!

27. duh. Dec 8, 2003, 11:43 Jigen

you get the choice of what strengths you want... defence or 2 weapon fighting, at the end of the demo level. That's an RPG element. And let's not get into semantics.

26. Re: I don't get it... Dec 8, 2003, 11:39 madbunny

...and you obviously lack the ability to comprehand the notion of opinions. I just don't like cheap half arsed tat.

25. Re: I don't get it... Dec 8, 2003, 11:38 EvilGoof_Trollboy

rpg elements!?! youre kidding right ? i might lack judgement but you either lack taste or eyes

edited to justify my "it sucks ass" comments

the graphics are poor (sub q3 imo). the monsters are pathetic and the animation is terrible. movement feels wrong and weapons are unsatisfying, q3 are MUCH superior as are serious sams or will rock its nothing new that you cant get already and isnt worth 20 bucks

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 11:41.

24. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 11:37 Jane You Ignorant Slut!

Saying "it's crap" doesn't really say much. Can anyone comment on what's bad about the demo, or anything slightly more descriptive than "it's crap" for those of us stuck in our cubicles?

thanks

23. I don't get it... Dec 8, 2003, 11:34 Jigen

the game has strafe jumping... RPG elements (beat the level)... more physics than Q3 (gun recoils effect movement)... better graphics than Q3 (sorry you're blind), and it's cheap. You people lack judgement.

22. Re: People... Dec 8, 2003, 11:31 EvilGoof_Trollboy

you're right nin, i'm getting that sensation playing firestarter. how quick was i to judge eh ?

21. Re: People... Dec 8, 2003, 11:30 nin

i'd rather spend my $20 a cheap hooker, the experience of enjoyment will last longer than this drossware

As will the rash and the burning sensation you get when you pee..

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: People... Dec 8, 2003, 11:27 madbunny

I too played for longer than 5 seconds yet I was still not impressed and the more I played off it the less impressed I was with it. I own older games that are better than this so why would I bother - even at $20? The hooker idea sounds good, but I fear the kind of hooker you can get for $20 and I suspect that involves a lot more hand than meets the eye!!

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 11:30.

19. Re: People... Dec 8, 2003, 11:27 EvilGoof_Trollboy

i thought q3 fans had higher iq's ? q3 kicks this pos's ass. q3 came out in 99 and looks better and PLAYS better than this.

i'd rather spend my $20 on a cheap hooker, the experience of enjoyment will last longer than this drossware

edited as playing firestarter has messed with my ability to type
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 11:29.

18. People... Dec 8, 2003, 11:19 Jigen

I played this game for more than 5 seconds...

The game really is a kowtow to Quake 3 fans... the more you play it the more you'll see how decent it is. It comes out next year for $20 in the US, so I'll definatly pick it up!

97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo