Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FireStarter Demo

GSC Game World has released a playable demo for FireStarter, their still-gold action-packed first-person shooter. The demo offers solo and multiplayer action, as well as a benchmark, all for a 64 MB download. Mirrors are available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, Filerush, Gamer's Hell, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming.Com, and Worthplaying.

View
97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

57. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 14:27 nin

No support for 98se huh. Whose bright idea was that

Why, MS, of course...they want more money, and in turn, you get a newer OS.

Seriously, try 2K (or ex-pee)...compared to 98, you'll be amazed how stable it is.

http://www.craigarmstrong.com
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 14:28.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. demo Dec 8, 2003, 14:25 Dantastic

i think this demo is really good.

55. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 14:12 [AIX]Hood

1. It's 5 years old already, almost 6. Can't afford $140 bucks in that long a period of time for the upgrade?
2. Blame Sun.

54. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 14:06 AgentZero

No support for 98se huh. Whose bright idea was that. No matter, Painkiller looks 1 million times better for Serious sam type thrills anyway.

53. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 13:58 space captain

Anyone still using the Win98 kernel is seriously crippling their computers potential performance. Only a non-tech minded person would be doing that.

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

52. Re: Enahs review for... Dec 8, 2003, 13:49 Enahs

Enahs, create a MP game and the speed is much better.
You are right, sweet!

I wish to hell someone would set up some servers so I could try this with a few other ppl.

I am setting up a server right now 12:45 CST

I will good around and leave it up for a little bit, hope someone joins....come on guys!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

51. Re: huh Dec 8, 2003, 13:21 nin

Are you a benny tied to a tree?

<nin runs for a dictionary, wondering how he can work this phrase into his next conversation with a coworker.>

what exactly do you have against Win2K? It's by far the best OS MS has released to date.

Agreed. Took 'em 15 years, but they finally got it right.

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

50. Re: Enahs review for... Dec 8, 2003, 13:15 Hump

Enahs, create a MP game and the speed is much better. The slowness is a baseline in the SP portion where you later can boost your speed by allocating points to that particular asset. I hate to use Daikatana as a reference but you remember how the sword was REALLY slow and crappy until one got its "exp" to a high level then it kicked ass? Same idea.

Some other thoughts:

The monster designs are really cool. If you go to the official site and see the concept art and renders its top notch work but they totally borked it by giving the creatures the worst animations imaginable. In the full game there are characters you can choose that are able to carry four of the small shotties or double rocket launchers, 4 machine guns, etc.

Theres some weps available in the MP demo that are not in the SP demo (ie; the heavy shotty and the rotary cannon).

I wish to hell someone would set up some servers so I could try this with a few other ppl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 1, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

49. Tried it... Dec 8, 2003, 13:09 Hunterzyph

As for people complaining about the speed, apparently there are a whole bunch of 'mods' you'll get that speed up movement, along with how fast you can move with two weapons, etc.

For $20, I think it is a bargain for what you'll get. As for people thinking that Stalker: Oblivion is going to turn out crappy as well are a bit short-sighted.

48. Re: I don't get it... Dec 8, 2003, 12:53 Jane You Ignorant Slut!

EvilGoof & Enahs, thanks for the "it sucks ass" justification...

I have to say I'm disappointed to hear how bad the demo is. I was hoping for something the likes of ssam. Especially after hearing somewhere that it was supposed to offer coop.

bah... will the fps dry spell ever end...

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 12:58.

47. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 12:44 [AIX]Hood

BTW, Microsoft just officially announced the end of support for Windows 98 today, so those who are still using it, it's pretty much a dead end at this point. I seriously doubt new drivers will come out for it as Microsoft was forced to close it due to a court order.

46. Enahs review for... Dec 8, 2003, 12:44 Enahs

people that want to hear more then "crap" to tell if they want to download it on a slow modem.

Graphics, are nice. Not top quality, but they are well done.
It looks on par with a combination of Q3/UT graphics quality. In runs really smooth though, which is a plus! Top O' Line system would have not trouble with highest AF and a good bit of AA on too, and still run as smooth as I can't believe it's not butter, spray!

Sound is good, nothing special about it but it works. Music SUCKS though, but I always turn that off.

Level design, is straight up like the more intense deathwatch levels in UT.

Weapons are cool and fun to play around with, but they are the same ole same ole. Nothing really new, just reincarnations of what is in every FPS, but ok balanced (in SP)

Game play, when you are running, you move slower then a 90 year old woman with a walker! You do not want to know how slow you go when walking!

It is a simple game, which runs good. Simple game play, kill the bad guys and collect the artifact. Again, the levels just seem to be DM levels (which I mean DM levels in a SP game). Unfortunately I could not find any active server to try out MP.

So basically if you enjoy/ed playing DeathMatch against bots in UT, you should give this game a try. As the SP is just DM with collecting stuff. The speed of the game needs a lot of tweaking! And instead of just killing ghouls and collecting artifact, if they had some different style SP, it could be fun, even if it was DM against bots, but with some innovation, with the solid engine they got it could be really fun. It looks like it could be a decently fun MP game, if you want just pure simple DM. But with the speed of the game right now, it would probably suck, as it would be impossible to get out of the way of anyone shooting at you.

So, now that you know it is a technological solid game, and just needs a few minor game play issues resolved. But if you like pure DM against bots, it is more then worth $20! And for demo’s now a-days it is small, so if you are on modem and not sure, I would say check it out. But if you are tired of plain ole' DM, I would not bother. Me personally I do not like the SP, but would goof around is MP if/when they tweak the speed around, as it could be just some good killing fun(and get some servers online too!).

_____
Enahs
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 12:49.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

45. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 12:39 S_DOG34

Am i the only one disgusted by the fact that you have to be running windows 2000, or XP to play a game? Im sorry, hardware requirements are one thing, those look about right for todays games. But windows 2000... windows XP!? *gag*

And this, my friends, is why game companies are going the way of the console. How can they possibly make good-looking/playing profitable games when 'hardcore' gamers are running win98? If I was a developer, I wouldn't even bother with the PC community anymore.

44. Amazing... Dec 8, 2003, 12:35 Shambler

The demo offers solo and multiplayer action, as well as a benchmark, all for a 64 MB download.

It offers one lousy DM map that is used for dm, botmatch, and the benchmark demo. What the fuck did they do with the rest of the 64 meg??

Q2 graphics & map complexity with fog and shiny surfaces. Uninspiring movement (headbob, slowing down with weapons), pointless features (time delay WtF?), cheesey monsters, no atmosphere, no purpose, some old tiresome botmatch. And some keybinds don't work. Horrible.

Edit: forgot some suckage.
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 12:39.

43. oh my... Dec 8, 2003, 12:33 J/K

..sometimes I wonder what is the fun in in all this blind bitching. no matter how good or bad firestarter is, it has nothing more in common with stalker than the PUBLISHER. it is NOT the same dev team and not the same engine.
would be really nice if more people would get their facts straight before posting in public.

42. Re: ahh.. Dec 8, 2003, 12:32 Muscular Beaver

I liked morrowind... well, the scenery. all characters and monsters were pretty lifeless, sterile and looked stupid. the nights were awesome, the storms etc. but as soon when I approached a NPC I thought I should deinstall it soon. I did.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

41. ahh.. Dec 8, 2003, 12:23 Jigen

I don't like Morrowind as much as many RPGs... It was nice to explore at first, but the gameplay is a bit unbalanced, first you have to 'power up' by fighting enemies for a long time, then you become a god that no enemy can defeat and you kill all the gods. I had a problem with that.

40. Re: Windows XP? Oh, HEEEELLLLLLLL NO! Dec 8, 2003, 12:23 CableGuy

What is your beef with XP? I've run XP Pro for 2 years+, never been anything but happy with it. Can't speak for Home, but Pro's pretty decent. Sure, it crashes here and there, but I've only seen a true BSOD twice, both times caused by the first release of the UT2K3 demo, oddly enough.

2K's rock-solid and well-tested, but, well, old. If you're still running 98SE or (christ) ME, I have no sympathy.

39. Re: piss Dec 8, 2003, 12:22 Muscular Beaver

this thread made me laugh that hard that I almost pissed my pants, tho.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: huh Dec 8, 2003, 12:20 El-chupacabra

Not a first person slasher like Morrowind.....?????? i played the game and addons but slasher....., think you played another game m8

97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo