Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FireStarter Demo

GSC Game World has released a playable demo for FireStarter, their still-gold action-packed first-person shooter. The demo offers solo and multiplayer action, as well as a benchmark, all for a 64 MB download. Mirrors are available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, Filerush, Gamer's Hell, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming.Com, and Worthplaying.

View
97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

77. Re: I have tried XP already Dec 8, 2003, 16:42 Hunterzyph

What is hurting you is that paltry 256mb of memory. Upgrade to 512mb and give it another whirl. Once you go with something as stable as Windows XP you'll wonder why people ever played games on Windows 98.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. I have tried XP already Dec 8, 2003, 16:33 AgentZero

I had it when it came out and it sucked. My system is a 1.2ghz athlon, geforce 4ti4200, 256mb. I tried a few games including Return to castle wolfenstein and it ran horribly under XP compared to 98. Anyway last I heard, 98se still has much better performance than xp especially for mid to low end systems like mine.

75. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:23 Beamer

XP was flawless for me from the start.

98 used to crash nearly daily. I'd keep my computer on 24/7, and by the end of the first day I'd start losing time. If, by some miracle, it made it 72 hours without crashing the clock would be losing 45 minutes every hour.

I've had uptimes over a month in XP without a hint of a crash. Blew my mind when I first had it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

74. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:17 4D-Boxing

Once service pack1 was released for XP it became as stable as 98se if not more. Prior to that, i had more crashes, reboots, and blue screens with XP then 98se. I had a gig of ram so that was not the cause of my problems, i just think when it comes to certain OS it's best to wait for the 1st service pack to come out before even thinking of waisting money on it. Even on the speed side it's only after service pack one that i managed to beat my old bench score.

I think so many people stil run 98 because with all the patchs ans packs it's almost as stable & as fast as xp and it does not cost of the xp upgrade (150$ can) or full version at $300 can! At that price you can get a new video card or 2 SATA drives running raid0 or even a new cpu!

Bottom line XP is way to expensive for the performance improvements it brings! If you get it with a nes PC then no need to go back to 98.

73. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 16:09 nin

I had installed XP (from 2k) a month or so ago and I just found out a few days ago that it hadn't installed the AGP drivers. Quite a bummer to realize that my 8X video card was running in PCI mode. And nothing in device manager indicated I was missing drivers. So I guess the moral of the story is to check that all device drivers were installed properly when you install XP.

So how did you find out there was a problem?

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

72. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:56 Beamer

I don't get the XP bashing, either. Ugly until you set it back to 98 mode, but I've rarely crashed it. A few instant reboots, and exactly two blue screens in two years. Both blue screens and the vast majority (if not all) of the reboots came from running DOS programs.

As for complaining that a game doesn't support 98, you might as well complain that games don't support DOS, or that GC games don't support the N64.

Different operating systems have different functions, and in order to do some things you need to either abandon the old, or waste time writing workarounds for it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

71. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:27 indiv

Along with the latest AGP/IDE/ETC. drivers that come from MB manufacture. This can help performance and stability ALOT!

I had installed XP (from 2k) a month or so ago and I just found out a few days ago that it hadn't installed the AGP drivers. Quite a bummer to realize that my 8X video card was running in PCI mode. And nothing in device manager indicated I was missing drivers. So I guess the moral of the story is to check that all device drivers were installed properly when you install XP.

On the other hand, I got zero improvement from AquaMark even after I got the card working in AGP mode.

70. Re: 98 to XP Dec 8, 2003, 15:23 EvilGoof_Trollboy

lmfao lan only mp, stupid dumb asses. well thats a big ole rendered nail into the coffin then

how fucking stupid are they ?

69. 98 to XP Dec 8, 2003, 15:21 amygdala

I replaced my old Win 98 box with a shiny new one this year, and I've been quite pleased with Win XP in comparison. The only crashes I've experienced were recently, when trying to install a CDR with the wrong drivers (D'oh!).

My experience (with regards to stability) has been very good.

Anyone still expecting good performance out of Windows 98 needs to get a clue.
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 15:25.

68. Re: MP Dec 8, 2003, 15:18 Jane You Ignorant Slut!

according to a post on GSC forums by a GSC moderator, MP is lan only.

*snip
"Unfortunatelly, the publisher inserted the wrong manual. The MP mode supports up to 32 players and works via LAN only. We are currently bringing this issue up with the publisher . I am not sure if there will be a MP patch."

[edit] uh, yeah, what Enahs said...

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 15:20.

67. re the demo Dec 8, 2003, 15:18 Jigen

I think player movement speed is the biggest problem with the demo. Still, I'd love to see another level in the demo (with different enemies )

66. Re: FireStarter demo patch Dec 8, 2003, 15:17 Enahs

You can play multiplayer on LAN only, Internet is not supported.

Well, I feel like a dumb-ass running around the level for 25+ min hopeing someone would join! But hey, I found the secret part of the level!

*edit* Ohh yeah, it would be really cool if in the patch if that you guys could make it remember if you had selected full screen mode, so every time you start the game up, you do not have to go into options and hit full screen!

_____
Enahs

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 15:24.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

65. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:15 nin

What a joke. I recently switched from 98 to 2k (complete format of my hd first, of course). I think it's less stable. I get more crashes and safe mode doesn't even work. That's with all the certified drivers and whatnot. I was really expecting something different, but it has all the same graphical and usability glitches that 98 had (icons flashing in and out of existence during boot up, still loading for eons after the desktop has popped up), and it has no less than FOUR "now starting windows 2000" screens.

I'm with Enahs, sounds like you need more ram. Min 128, 256 is better, and if it were me (and you plan to game with it), get a gig of memory. You may not use all of that today, but it'll come in handy down the road.

If safe mode doesn't work, something is majorly f$%&ed with the box.

You didn't do an upgrade, did you? I don't trust those (AT ALL). Nuke the partition and start over...

http://www.craigarmstrong.com

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

64. Re: FireStarter demo patch Dec 8, 2003, 15:10  Atem[GSC] 

You can play multiplayer on LAN only, Internet is not supported.

63. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 15:01 Enahs

Brian, simply sounds like you do not have enough mem? How much you got?

As Win2K and XP are both a LOT more stable then win98 and me. But they require more memory as well, other wise they pooch out! Ohh, and this is a BIG one over looked. You do have the latest MOTHERBOARD drivers installed right? Along with the latest AGP/IDE/ETC. drivers that come from MB manufacture. This can help performance and stability ALOT!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

62. Re: FireStarter demo patch Dec 8, 2003, 14:59 Enahs

Atem:
Any word on the MP? Is the master server not up, or is the demo just not reporting to the master server correctly? As no servers are up, and nobody joined mine with it being up 40+ min. Which seems odd with as many downloads it is getting? As I really want to check out the MP aspect (as so does some other people here!)

But I got to say, that is one solid, stable looking engine you guys got!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

61. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 14:56 Brian

What a joke. I recently switched from 98 to 2k (complete format of my hd first, of course). I think it's less stable. I get more crashes and safe mode doesn't even work. That's with all the certified drivers and whatnot. I was really expecting something different, but it has all the same graphical and usability glitches that 98 had (icons flashing in and out of existence during boot up, still loading for eons after the desktop has popped up), and it has no less than FOUR "now starting windows 2000" screens.

60. FireStarter demo patch Dec 8, 2003, 14:48  Atem[GSC] 

Thanks for the heads-up. We have to admit that while compiling a demo there was a mistake made. We are preparing a patch to address the character speed issues, as well as clarify the RPG aspect of the game. The patch should be available tomorrow. Please, keep an eye on www.firestarter-game.com. And sorry for the inconvenience.

FireStarter team

59. Re: MP Dec 8, 2003, 14:34 Hump

I saw your post a little late Enahs...I had to step out for a bit. I think you're right though, I find it hard to beleive not a single server is up (insert "no wonder" joke here if you guys are so inclined).

I gotta run out again but I'll be back on around 5PM EST.

I'll see if theres a way to specify a server (IP) when I get back

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Armed and Dangerous, Dues Ex 1, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Firestarter, UT2004, Far Cry Pondering: Second Life Listening to: Dropkick Murp

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

58. Re: MP Dec 8, 2003, 14:30 Enahs

Well I had a server that I was active in up for 25+ min, and a dedicated up for 15+ min, and no body joined. With as many downloads as this is getting, you would think somebody would of tried MP. Must be the master server reporting does not work right, or the demo does not report to the master server...ahh well!

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

97 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo