Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life Sven Co-op "Official"

The Sven Co-op Website has details on future plans for this cooperative multiplayer modification for Half-Life. There's word that this is now to be an "official" mod, and will be distributed via Steam in the future. They also offer details on the upcoming version 3.0, though this will not be released via Steam, as Valve is working on making the system more stable before adding further content.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: An actual ON TOPIC post Dec 9, 2003, 06:49 Sven Viking

Taulin: Sounds as if you played the Valve SP maps without the SP support update correctly installed.

Still, support for Half-Life's single-player missions is, of course, imperfect seeing as we don't have access to the map source and the maps were never intended for co-operative play. It simply allows you and your friends to play through the maps in the most complete and hassle-free way available.

The main point of Sven Co-op is its hundreds (literally) of specially-made co-operative missions, ranging from HL-universe maps set in Black Mesa to military-themed maps such as the WW2-erra AfrikaKorps (with suitable weapons for the time period and nazis to fight), on to missions where the players are adventurers gaining experience in a medieval RPG, or unlikely superheroes in a cartoon world.

Sven Viking
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. No subject Dec 9, 2003, 03:20 mystery8

I remember playing Gut Reaction a few years ago. As I remember, it was pretty fun. And given that I still have a copy on a CD, I must've liked it Not sure what I'd want from a sequel... More of the same quality?

23. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 14:06 kyleb

"I'm still waiting for Single Player to not require me being online before I try installing Steam."

you can have hl from cd and steam instaled at the same time, steam not working of line kinda sucks but it is not the end of the world some people make it out to be.

22. Re: An actual ON TOPIC post Dec 8, 2003, 12:21 Taulin

SVEN Coop sucks. For the most part, HL itself was not designed for this type of game play (loading sections), and they tried to leave a lot of the original game intact. My brother and I started going through it several months ago, and quit out of bordom and its sheer nastyness.

Maybe since it is now official, they will correct the many faults, which is pretty much the whole mod.

21. An actual ON TOPIC post Dec 8, 2003, 10:37 Slingblade

For those of you that are actually reading this thread for SVEN COOP comments, I would like to take a quick survey to see if (A) anyone of you have played the Gut Reaction conversion and what you thought of it, and (B) what kind of gameplay ideas would you like to see in a possible sequel?

Thanks,
Slingblade

20. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 10:28 mystery8

Well, regardless of anything, Valve made a huge mistake by pretending that the September 30th release date was still on up until the last minute. If they'd said in the beginning of September that they wouldn't have met it, I'd be less annoyed. Having said that, I don't mind waiting a few more months to get a better game.

Back on topic though... this is great news for Sven Co-op. Glad they were/are still planning on releasing Sven Co-op via the "traditional" method (non-Steam). I'm still waiting for Single Player to not require me being online before I try installing Steam.

19. Re: No subject Dec 8, 2003, 09:44 vacs

No, he's right. It was never going to be release this year.

See this: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=296501

Official word.

You are certainly Mr. Genius! We all know now that HL2 could have never made it for the 30th September 2003. Thanks for repeating that. That was out of question but the point was did anyone knew that before the 30th September?

Of course everyone can claim now that they knew it before but unfortunately no one is going to believe...

18. No subject Dec 8, 2003, 08:44 mattchu

Sven-Coop! YES!

17. . Dec 8, 2003, 04:44 Bob

agreed, let's get back to bashing steam

16. Re: Sven CO-OP official Dec 8, 2003, 03:26 tacomodo

What is the point of arguing this either way?

Nomatter what happened in the past, the game is delayed now - Deal with it

15. Sven CO-OP official Dec 7, 2003, 23:28 MeatForce

SWEET!!

edit: subject to change without notice
This comment was edited on Dec 7, 23:29.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

14. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 23:26 Sho

No, he's right. It was never going to be release this year.

See this: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=296501

Official word.

EDIT: Whoops, totally wrong link at first.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 23:31.

13. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 22:47 vacs

First of all, it was apparent through many articles and even the press release that Vivendi first let slip that it was going to be out on September 30th.

Nothing was apparent, in fact Gabe himself made one week prior to the 30th September release date an official announcement that there was NO delay and that HL2 would ship as expected. Don't tell me now that Gabe is not trusted person.

12. wow Dec 7, 2003, 22:44 vacs

it's pretty surprising how many of you know a friend who is working at valve and who gave you classified insider info. You must all be very important people... unfortuntely anyone didn't buy it, sorry.

We all know that HL2 didn't make it for the 30th September 2003. You don't need to invent things like you knew that beginning of the year.

11. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 21:44 Enahs

From what I've heard from true "inside sources" is that the leaked beta was simply the E3 beta shown last year.

If you by last year, as 2003, the current year. It is possible, who knows. But if you mean by "last year" which was 2002, it is not possible as HL2 was not at E3 last year.

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

10. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 20:03 SidVicious

"First of all, it was apparent through many articles and even the press release that Vivendi first let slip that it was going to be out on September 30th."

Wrong again! Vivendi never, ever set an official date on the release of Half-Life 2. It was always "Holidays 2003" up until *Valve* announced the delay. I challenge you to find a single Vivendi press release anywhere that ties them to a specific release date.

This has always been their offical postion: http://pc.ign.com/articles/431/431079p1.html

9. Re: . Dec 7, 2003, 19:37 Zyrxil

Fetus, you say leaks saying Sept 30 was when it would be ready "forced" Valve to declare it official, yet there were just as many rumors and leaks, that seemed to get confirmed that the game would come out in November or early 2004, long before Sept 30 passed. By your logic, Valve would have been put in a position to "accept" a dozen different dates somehow.

8. . Dec 7, 2003, 19:13 Bob

Valve is working on making the system more stable before adding further content

just delete steam and there will be no more problems with steam

7. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 18:06 Koblizek

First of all, it was apparent through many articles and even the press release that Vivendi first let slip that it was going to be out on September 30th. That put Valve in the "unique" position of trying to reach that date. Obviously, they thought they could do it, but according to my friend there it just wasn't going to happen. I kept quiet about it until right before the Sept. 30th date, when I politely informed people that it wasn't coming out then and would be lucky to reach the Nov 16th date they had set for a while. It doesn't surprise me one bit that people snap at me when I say this stuff though. No one wants to believe negative news even if it is true. Did Valve have something that resembled a beta at that time? I assume yes although I never asked my friend about it. Otherwise, why stick with the September 30th date at all. The fact remains though that they grossly underestimated the amount of work (level design, art assets, programming, and most importantly testing) they still had to do though. Its happened to other companies before and it will continue to happen. Making games on an open-ended system like the PC allows for great gameplay advances, but also requires extensive testing on a zillion different configurations, not to mention net play, and security measures. I think the general game playing public has an inaccurate vision of what making a game today is really like.

Of course, that doesn't excuse either Vivendi nor Valve for making a release date which they couldn't reach. I'm sure they thought they could, but Gabe probably realizes that they'll, from now on, stick with the "when its done" standard that is so prevalent with veteran developers. Just my two cents.

Oh, and SidVicious I'm not lying and my friend does work at Valve. I know I don't have anything to prove that, nor do I want to get him in trouble. You have to take my word for it, and obviously you don't. If you want proof that I knew it would be delayed originally though, check my comment I posted about the subject a couple months ago.

6. Re: No subject Dec 7, 2003, 17:11 Beelzebud

From what I've heard from true "inside sources" is that the leaked beta was simply the E3 beta shown last year. Nothing more, nothing less.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo