Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DX: Invisible War Wednesday

Eidos sends along confirmation that the highly anticipated Deus Ex sequel is getting set to ship: "Eidos is proud to announce that Deus Ex: Invisible War will be shipping to retailers in North America tomorrow December 2nd and will be in stores December 3rd."

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 19:56 Scottish Martial Arts

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I would love to say 'I told you so'. But I wont.

Lap it up, fanboys

I'm sure you wouldn't make that comment if you didn't already know that Kasavin thought the original was highly overrated. Since you couldn't possibly make an uninformed comment I can only assume you said that to be an ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Demo says it all Dec 2, 2003, 12:52 ZzeusS

I had a few annoying technical glitches with the demo. Gray sparklies on the textures of mobs, and weird physics problems. I can live with thin content on the small demo maps, but the technical problems were a showstopper for me. When there have been a few patches out, maybe I'll pick this up. I'm much more looking foward to x2:the threat.

62. Re: Any other game delay pales in compar Dec 2, 2003, 12:07 RegularX

Read the review. He spent most of the time listing problems that were either carried over from the first game or (worse, IMO) newly-introduced flaws

I did. Unlike some, I just decided to read the whole thing.

61. Re: Shallow AI? Dec 2, 2003, 12:04 RegularX

Now, some of you might think that it means the game is 'good enough to make you look past the flaws', while others might say, 'they're paid/forced to give it high scores so buttfucks on message boards can quote numbers that a POS game got great reviews' --

Can you say contradictory argument? If that's your attitude, why read reviews at all? Oh, unless it's the part of the review that support what you say. So when the review says "Problem is, the physics are goofier than they are believable, as most of the moveable objects in the game seem to lack any real mass--as though everything in this grim future was inflatable or made of Styrofoam.", that's the ever-loving truth but when it says "As previously suggested, Invisible War is a great-looking game, for the most part" or "Invisible War mostly sounds great, as well." or "None of this should ultimately deter you from checking out Invisible War", that's just bullshit lies from a corporate whore.

whether or not you want to take the ostrich approach

Couldn't have said it better myself.

60. Re: Any other game delay pales in compar Dec 2, 2003, 12:01 JediLuke

If it sucks then it sucks. But some of you are just assuming it does because thats where the bandwagon is rolling.

Or maybe because the demo sucked?

No offense, but that makes zero sense. The entire review is void simply because the reviewer agrees that say, the AI is shallow?

No, you missed his point. As N said,

The overwhelming amount of negative written comments is at a stark contrast to the numbers used in the Gamespot review.

I'd have to agree. Read the review. He spent most of the time listing problems that were either carried over from the first game or (worse, IMO) newly-introduced flaws.

~Steve

59. No subject Dec 2, 2003, 11:46 space captain

Aww yeh baby... here it is:

"Deus Ex. Invisible War wears the formula a bit thin by the time you finish the game--which should take just 10 to 15 hours."

-Gamespot

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I would love to say 'I told you so'. But I wont.

Lap it up, fanboys

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

58. Shallow AI? Dec 2, 2003, 11:41 N

Don't confuse the term 'shallow AI' with 'non-existent AI'.

And the point someone else made, was that the text of some reviews are at odd with 'the numbers'. The overwhelming amount of negative written comments is at a stark contrast to the numbers used in the Gamespot review.

Now, some of you might think that it means the game is 'good enough to make you look past the flaws', while others might say, 'they're paid/forced to give it high scores so buttfucks on message boards can quote numbers that a POS game got great reviews' --

but whichever and whatever the reason, to me, the text and overall feel and tone of the body of a review means more to me than the numbers. I believe that was the point someone was trying to make.

Seriously: take an in depth look at all the comments made about the game, and the consistency with which many of the negative comments fall in line with problems and shortcomings that were in the first game, compounded with even more problems in the second. From the false sense of 'open endedness' (You can finish the game without ever firing a gun!!!!!11), to missing AI, poor performance, shallow characters, lack of story motivation, wonky physics -- get real, there are serious problems being noted with the game, and whether or not you want to take the ostrich approach and say that "You only played the demo!!" or that "It got high review scores!" -- be honest with yourself. There is a very large, prevalent negative vibe to the title...the numbers contradict the written sentiments: it's a subpar title, especially against the first.

57. Re: (Yawn) Dec 2, 2003, 10:38 FourPak

I picked up a copy of the January issue of Computer Gaming World in a local bookstore yesterday. With a price tag of $8.99, it reminded me why I don't buy game magazines anymore, but it's a fair price to have Deus Ex and Thief 2.
Plus the 12-month calendar that's bound into the issue!

As for what to play while waiting for a DX2 price-drop:
fans of turn-based should check out Silent Storm 2, very fun, tons of replay value (even the demo has more replay value than most full games), the UK English version is available now from gogamer.com and elsewhere.

56. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 10:32 Tony!!!

The Demo was equevelant in size to something you hop into for 'instant action'. That is hardly what Dues Ex is about. The exact opposite really. So, aside from the performance issue, all the crying a whining isn't really warrented.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

55. Re: Any other game delay pales in compar Dec 2, 2003, 10:32 Beelzebud

You all are talking about it like you've played the full game

Someone said "Xboxers think it's dumbed down"... Which Xbox gamers? IT's not out yet! And there is no demo for the xbox. So how in the hell are "xboxers" able to comment on it?

If it sucks then it sucks. But some of you are just assuming it does because thats where the bandwagon is rolling.

54. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 10:27 RegularX

Sorry to break it to you, but there are only three websites and three magazines whose reviews really count in PC gaming. And two of them have so far come out saying that the final game has the exact same problems as the demo.

Don't know what three you consider gospel, but I usually read IGN (9/10) and Gamespy (4/5) and compare the two as a decent guide. Both mentioned similar things the complainers have mentioned. Unlike the complainers, they also looked past the flaws to score the game itself with high ratings.

And the numbers do not matter when the reveiws themselves are attesting that the flaws we all hate are indeed there. What you are doing is being an apologist.

No offense, but that makes zero sense. The entire review is void simply because the reviewer agrees that say, the AI is shallow? Because it mentions that, anything positive it mentions is simply ... gone? What you are doing is being blind.

Sorry to break it to you, but with Deus Ex: Invisible War, complaining is the bandwagon. And from my experience with games, there is always good reason why such a state of affairs comes to pass.

From my experience, bandwagons are overcrowded affairs.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 10:28.

53. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 09:55 Dante_uk

I love watching the whiners. The pure defenition of "Ignorance is bliss". Guys that haven't even played the title wildly running about like chickens screaming "The sky is falling". And the demo doesn't really count since it had about as much content as a pre-alpha build.

As much content as a pre-alpha build ?
Only two crappy(boring) levels true, but I bet there is little or no difference in a final game for those levels, which went gold a few days after the demo came out. Also the engine won't have changed much in the couple of days between demo and gold.

I think your Ignorance is showing if you think all ( or any ) of the problems and design flews will have been fixed by the time you hand over your cash.

I've just completed Max Payne 2 and Call of Duty, both ran fine and looked good(as does Doom3 Alpha & Half Life2 leaked alpha ) on my GF 2 Ti, Deus Ex2 won't even run without Pixel shaders, so I tried the demo on my work laptop(GF4Go) and boy does it look bad.

The AI in the Deus Ex demo ( and the full game going by reviews ) is the worst I've seen in a long time.
I'm sure the AI in DX1 was better ( I remember being able to shoot people in the leg and watch them try and hobble away, that's all gone now, 2 shots in the face or toe will annoy a 'green' guard, 3 and he'll return fire, 4-5 and he'll die, head or toe )

I won't even mention all the other problems, see previous posts ( Xbox emulation ).

The ammo system is a joke ( same ammo for dart gun, flame thrower, sniper rifle, shotgun, pistol etc ), a joke definitly, but no one is laughing at it.

A throw away game for the kids at Xmas for their Xboxes no more and no less.
Look out for copies in the second hand stores by the middle of January.

52. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 09:45 Xombie

Guys that haven't even played the title wildly running about like chickens screaming "The sky is falling". And the demo doesn't really count since it had about as much content as a pre-alpha build.
Sorry to break it to you, but there are only three websites and three magazines whose reviews really count in PC gaming. And two of them have so far come out saying that the final game has the exact same problems as the demo.

I've played the demo and found the game absorbing like the original with much more atmosphere this time. The Reviews have ranged from OXM's 9.1 to Gamespot's 8.0, but none of them have given the game lower than a "great" rating
OXM did not review a PC build of the game. There's a reason why EVERY gaming magazine and website on the planet reviews different platforms of the games separately.
And the numbers do not matter when the reveiws themselves are attesting that the flaws we all hate are indeed there. What you are doing is being an apologist.

That's consistency in my book and warrents my own personal evaluation.
Most people won't pay $50 to do an "evaluation" of a game.

Some people like to complain just to be different from the bandwagon, it happened with every other big name title released such as Halo etc and will happen again with HL2 and Doom 3.
Sorry to break it to you, but with Deus Ex: Invisible War, complaining is the bandwagon. And from my experience with games, there is always good reason why such a state of affairs comes to pass.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

51. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 09:38 Xombie

The idea that Warren Spector was solely responsible for DX1 and that HS came out of the shadows, stole IW from WS, and then proceeded to rape the game is crap. WS was Producer and Project Lead for DX1, he was studio lead for IW.
Actually, he's been pretty hands-off for IW, and focusing his time on Theif 3. They have two separate teams doing the two games.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

50. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 09:00 Tennisman

I love watching the whiners. The pure defenition of "Ignorance is bliss". Guys that haven't even played the title wildly running about like chickens screaming "The sky is falling". And the demo doesn't really count since it had about as much content as a pre-alpha build.
The Reviews for the game have been consistently high. (All above 8.0 and higher) For me, I've been following the industry most of my life, I'm old enough now (34) to know when a game is going to be solid or not by judging reviews.
I've played the demo and found the game absorbing like the original with much more atmosphere this time. The Reviews have ranged from OXM's 9.1 to Gamespot's 8.0, but none of them have given the game lower than a "great" rating. That's consistency in my book and warrents my own personal evaluation. Some people like to complain just to be different from the bandwagon, it happened with every other big name title released such as Halo etc and will happen again with HL2 and Doom 3.Let them speak their ignorant minds because as we know, Opinions are like assholes, and we all have one.

49. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 08:40 Beamer

For the first time in years there are several PC games I want.

Call of Duty looks great, NFSU looks like a fun game, Freedom Fighters looks like a quick diversion, the Max Payne 2 demo was tons of fun, and a few others look good.

My big 3 games, Doom 3, HL2, and DX2, have fallen hard. Doom 3 still looks great, but is too far in the distance. HL2 I still have huge hopes for, but I'm no longer planning on buying a new PC for it. And DX2 will be a bargain bin title for me, just like the first one (mistakenly) was.

Silent Storm is my new pic for most desired game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: I noticed this... Dec 2, 2003, 07:43 Marauder

Eidos: *cough*englishlanguageversionineuropeinfeb*cough*

*cough*Itdoesntmatterwhereyouarewhenyouredownloadingit*cough*

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 07:44.

47. No subject Dec 2, 2003, 07:31 Panick

Actually, after watching a few movies and screens, I was expecting VERY little from the demo....

...and it was worse then I thought.

But hey, there's still KotOR, XIII, X2, NFSU and Spellforce. These games are simply great, it's just too bad that they were all released almost at the same time. I'm havind a hard time playing them all.

46. Simple XBox Emulation Dec 2, 2003, 07:29 Dante_uk

Stop all your bitching about your PC not being a console and either buy a PC game(obviously not Deus Ex2), buy a Xbox or...

Buy a cheap USB game pad, get a crappy colour portable TV plug this into the TV Out on your top of the range video card then ilke magic you get the full Xbox pleasure of Deus Ex 2.

Don't worry about your PC spec being too good for the job of emulating an Xbox.

Your 3ghz PC with 512mb of memory and GF FX9500Ultra will automatically drop to the performace of 700mhz, 64mb with GF3(almost) upon loading up Deus Ex2.

We should thank WS for this chance to see what an XBox game looks and runs like without having to send 100 on an XBox. We can now get the same result on our 1000 PC.

45. Re: No subject Dec 2, 2003, 06:06 Xenos Overdrive

We stand behind this game <---- Really where was the support when we the gamers had to fix the game to make it run.

Uh, the mere fact they "fixed" the game stands to reason the support is there.

And what promises? I mean, no one really lied about anything being, or not being, in this game.

And above all people, if you are all going to be this critical (and some are justifiably so) then you don't have to buy the game. I don't like nearly all the differences this game holds over the original, but at the core, it's just a friggin game. It's like Tom Clancy and his latest books. If you go by reader reviews on his last two books, he's written some terrible novels. Instead, I choose to think he's actually trying something differente and, in a lot of ways, stepping down to the level of more humanly authors and just plain writing an old fashioned story. To be honest, his writing style is still superior, even if it's not in the same vain as these thousand page monsters.

My point is, IW may not be the game you were expecting, as it certainly wasn't to me, but there's a still a great game there despite outlandish expectations.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo