Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DX: Invisible War Movie

To celebrate the game going gold, a new trailer for Deus Ex: Invisible War is now available, showing off some cinematics and gameplay from the imminent Deus Ex sequel. The 50 MB file can be downloaded from FileFront, Filerush, Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Hey, I've got 99 shotgun shells! Dec 3, 2003, 03:54 Camaro76

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/deus_ex_2_interview/page3.asp

"In Deus Ex (and some other action games), the player often favors a particular weapon throughout the game. However, they're also picking up the ammo for other weapons as they travel through the world. So, at the end of the game, the player realizes that they have tons and tons of ammo for all the weapons they don't use. In Deus Ex, some players would choose, say, a sniper rifle, use it throughout the game (conserving ammo and running desperately low). Then, at a certain point, players would realize, "Hey, I've got 99 shotgun shells!"

Excuse me, but...

a) If I don't use a fucking shotgun I sure as hell am not going to pick up the ammo for it!!!

b) Both DX1 and 2 allow you to drop useless items you don't need, just like EVERY OTHER 'action game' in existence.

Now I see where everything has gone wrong. Boy, I feel SO MUCH BETTER now that you've explained your reasoning behind unified ammo, Harvey! I think I'll run right out and buy this game! Maybe I'll even pick up two or three, no, make that 99 extra copies !!!

-----

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp?fs_article_id=1394&pic_id=03

You know, if that was taken during the development (obviously it wasn't), it would explain a lot about the piss poor AI (note pitcher of beer in the corner).

-----

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/november03/dx2magicmoments/

Wow, these all sound like fun. And they didn't use one of these levels as a demo because...?

-----

As for 'looking past the flaws'... I'm sure Deus Ex 2 is a good game just like how a Ford Focus is a good car:

http://consumeraffairs.com/news02/ford_focus.html

Sure hope your computer doesn't catch on fire, or the processor fan doesn't fall off while you're enjoying DX2:IW! Have fun!

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy Blue is a Blue rolling around in a pile of cash" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: This is for Hunterzyph Dec 1, 2003, 00:21 phorce phed

NastyJack wrote:
They screwed up the demo plain and simple.
Please link to anything official that even remotely states this.

The only thing I've seen that even came close was in that post from Warren with the ini file tweaks where he tosses in some off-hand comment about how the demo has "pointed out some issues" that they might release a patch for sometime.

Without an official denouncement of the demo it is utterly fair to assume that it represents the final game. Your Pollyanna-ish insistance that somehow the final will fix everything strikes me as astroturf, trolling or idiocy.

78. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2003, 08:40 wtf_man

Thptptptpt.

Don't mind me... testing out Mozilla.

77. No subject Nov 29, 2003, 01:49 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

yeah

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

76. No subject Nov 28, 2003, 22:17 Acleacius

Yeah im very happy with Deus Ex on my drive, thou for those whom like stealth and no killing, stay away from GOTY. Its funny just a week or 2 ago and several times in the past WS has said how pleased he was that gamers found inovative things that IS never thought of especially playing thru without killing anyone, and more recently how beta tester where testing no kill on DXIW. Well they broke the no kill in GOTY (nice huh Oh yeah we love it, surprise you cant do it anymore), not only that but now if you knockout Levedev on the plane they broke that to, Now its you Murdered him in Cold Blood (if you knock him out)<---- AHoles

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 22:18.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

75. No subject Nov 28, 2003, 19:42 RazorWynd

well hunterzyph...the reason i put "prolly" is because his friend might be a beta tester...ass

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

74. Re: DX 1 Multi.... Nov 28, 2003, 17:46 WarPig

I actually reinstalled DX1 and got the 1112 patch and was playing Multi and I have to say it is pretty cool mostly cause there's nothing else like it, how you can hack computers to get turrets and the augmentation combinations and the maps are pretty cool. Needs to have more players and servers though. Everyone reinstall DX1 get the 1112 Patch and go play!

"...was something tacked on because the publishers (maybe developers as well) were worried that not having it might hurt sales. All in all it was not a significant bonus, and could have been left off. It was pretty much a DM where you could increase your skills in weapons."

73. No subject Nov 28, 2003, 17:23 Acleacius

Yup, it must be true is Fox says it

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

72. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2003, 17:21 Acleacius

(snip)
Xombie
Of course you don't think so. You're completely inept when it comes to the subject of marketing and advertising. Apparently you think that the journalists at large companies like GSI also do the advertising deals.
(end snip)
Of course not, I believe neptly like you that journalistic freedom reins suppreme over the Chief Editor, well of coure there is Paul Gigot at the Wall Street Journal or lets not forget Wes Pruden at the Washington Times. Now ther is journalist integrity at its finest. These guys would never stoop to out right lying for corprate or political reasons and sacrfic jounralist intergrity, im so glad there are other s are not blinded to these fine examples, of purity

71. Re: Ratty... Nov 28, 2003, 17:13 DDI

Tron 2.0 is the best game out this year.

70. No subject Nov 28, 2003, 17:04 XEON

That kind of response seems to be common to every DX2 thread at the mo' lol

Can't think why...

"Leading the fight for original WASDgaming"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

69. Summary Nov 28, 2003, 16:44 Cyric

For those of you just joining us, a summary of this thread follows:

"Deus Ex 2 is teh suk!"
"U are teh suk! DX2 is teh rox!"
"I roxed ur mom! DX2 suxors!"

And so on.

"Only J00 can prevent Forum Fires"
-Smokah teh 3@|2

68. Re: Maybe I'm getting old Nov 28, 2003, 15:23 Mashiki Amiketo

KotOR is a great game, finished it up last night around 3am or so. 30hrs 1min after everything was said and done, ofcourse that was my first time playing it through, and I've been plauged by various bugs and other problems. It's still not a patch on PS:Torment, but it is a step in the right direction for bringing back "good" games with a good story.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

67. Re: Maybe I'm getting old Nov 28, 2003, 15:13 Creston

Ratty,

You just seem to have gotten burned out on games. I think the best thing to do is to just stop playing them for awhile, until you can get enjoyment out of it again. Why play games if it doesn't entertain you? There's plenty of other forms of entertainment out there, albeit (in my opinion), only reading comes close to the kind of enjoyment I get out of gaming.

But I will agree that it seems that most games in the past two years or so are just big disappointments. The titles I really enjoyed I can count on one hand. It's actually a relief that KotOR is so good, as I was starting to become quite convinced that nobody could release a good game on the PC anymore.

There are quite a few titles that I really eagerly looked forward to, and so far this year, only KotOR really has given me the kind of gaming experience that I want. My last purchase, Railroad Tycoon 3, bored me to tears after 3 days of playing, when I realised that the gameplay boils down to "Lay track and build stations", the game takes care of the rest, and it's impossible to actually build a railroad that doesn't make any money.

Unfortunately, I've just now finished KotOR for the second time (sheesh, and I've gotten it for all of 9 days, although admittedly I've been playing it pretty solidly for seven of those nine days), and while I'll go through it once more, it seems yet once more waiting for something good to arrive. I still have good hopes for Deus Ex, despite all the naysaying and negativity surrounding it (most of which boils down to "It's a console port, and consoles suck, so this game also sucks"), but it seems that the 20 hour game time was actually a bit of a generous estimation.

Hopefully X2 is all it looks to be, that's a game I could lose myself in for awhile.

Ahh, I guess there's always more books to read.

Creston

66. Ratty... Nov 28, 2003, 14:18 NastyJack

I think the best answer to your questions is to name all the games in the last year that I have either personally played or have heard great things about from friends.

Battlefield 1942
Call of Duty
Warcraft 3
Max Payne 2
Knights of the Old Republic
XIII
Dungeon Siege
C & C Generals
Age of Mythology
Morrowind
Homeworld 2
LOTR: Return of the King
Planetside

... and I am sure I am missing a bunch of games that I can't remember. And the point is not whether you enjoyed these games or not but whether alot of other people did. And ALOT of other people did.

65. Maybe I'm getting old Nov 28, 2003, 13:09 Ratty

Games just don't excite me anymore. The last game I bought was the Morrowind expansion. Yawn. Before that it was NOLF2. Yawn. Oh and there was Unreal 2 in there someplace. Unfinished. I don't buy 7 or 8 games a year like I used to. Now I'm lucky if I get 2. And when I do buy a game I'm more likely to give up on it and never finish it. I've just bought more disappointing pieces of crap lately than I ever used to.

I don't even *look forward* to games anymore. I was psyched about DXIW and Thief 3 and now I don't care. HL2 and DNF are just about all there is left for me on the horizon. Games I would have cared about are either out of business (Dungeon Keeper, Lands of Lore, System Shock), or gone over to console-only (Starcraft).

Could it be that *this time* it's true? Is the era of PC gaming finally coming to an end? Have astronomical production costs, rampant piracy, and publisher monopolies simply put a stake through its heart? Gaming is a 7 billion dollar a year industry and growing rapidly. Dollar signs pop up in corporate CEO's eyes whenever the word is mentioned. They all now want a piece of that pie, but that pie is almost all console. They don't even know PC games exist for the most part.

I used to shop at Electronic Boutique but they closed all their stores sometime ago. But they eventually came back. Lately, not one but TWO EBGames opened in my neighborhood and I was really excited the first time I went in to shop. It was all console games. One of them didn't have a single PC game anywhere. The other had a small handfull of titles on a lower shelf somewhere.

Are PC games doomed to become a small niche industry? Or is it me. Am I just becoming a cranky old man, hitching my pants up and complaining about how things were in my day? Seems like that's all I'm doing nowdays.

64. Haha...uh yeah, kay. Nov 28, 2003, 12:57 Hunterzyph

That's like telling someone who has just eaten a chicken tuna salad that they have eaten chicken. Of course it is warez.

63. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2003, 12:39 RazorWynd

haha that beta you played was prolly warez

http://www.firingsquad.com

62. No subject Nov 28, 2003, 12:21 Phaint

Half-life2 is going to kick fucking ass, when they finish it that is. From seeing and playing the beta at a friends house, the beta showed that the game will fucking own all when it is done.

Don't let the incomplete maps fool you.

61. Re: Maybe I'm getting cynical... Nov 28, 2003, 12:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Half life 2 will be an even bigger dissapointment, and its going to run even worse than this POS.

Agreed, Half-Life 2 will still be an excellent game (like DXIW) but there is no way in hell it can live up to the hype (also like DXIW).

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo