Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War

Eidos sends word that Deus Ex: Invisible War, the highly anticipated follow-up to Deus Ex, is now gold. Here's the announcement:

As we near the Thanksgiving break, we want to keep with tradition and give thanks for the good things in life. What could possibly be better than announcing to the gaming community abroad that their anticipation is truly almost over. We are pleased to report that Deus Ex: Invisible War has OFFICIALLY GONE GOLD for both the Xbox and PC!!!! The day is now almost at hand when gamers no longer follow the leader being spoon fed their experience when they pick up the controller. Invisible War lets the player take the lead in their own gaming experience and create the world around them. The choices you make, the actions you take the directives you follow...or choose not to...will all play a key role. On December 3rd, Deus Ex: Invisible War hits retail shelves across North America....how will YOU choose to fight?

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

69. Re: *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 08:57 Gdiguy

I'm going to reserve judgement until I can actually play the stupid game... (still angry about stupid pixel 1.1 requirement - I don't care if I have to play a game looking ass-ugly, it would be nice if it still worked on something that isn't exactly ancient)

But... at least 3/4 of the fun of DX1 for me was doing just about the first 4 or 5 missions largely with either baton/tazer hits to the back (instant unconsiousness), or one-shot pistol shots to the head... if both of those are gone, it's just a glorified shooter with less linear paths - which is a nice thing, but it's no longer what the first game was

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 08:55 306

He attacks?? When?? I only get the repetative threat of action? Have I not tweaked something? (There in lies the problem with this.......tweaking the X-Box settings to get something that resembles a game...........

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 08:57.

If you can't improve on silence then don't speak.

67. Re: *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 08:45 Scottish Martial Arts

Go into the demo and throw the barrell at the guard and check out the reaction - that is exactly the same as DX1.

Yelling at you to stop and then attacking if you persist?

66. Re: *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 08:27 306

The only problem I have with this game is it is not what ION Storm have been led us to believe it is. Listen or read to any interview they give and then play that game and tell me it is the one they talk about - you couldn't.

Lack of innovation is one thing but giving a loyal PC fan base an X-Box port to make a quick buck from Microsoft is nothing to be proud of. The Unreal engine is capable of so more than what they give us - as proven in many other games.

Go into the demo and throw the barrell at the guard and check out the reaction - that is exactly the same as DX1. So what exactly is so great about this game? Using textures instead of models? Textured eyes on models FFS!!? The engine is capable of better than that - unless you are making for console. There seems to be a great deal more negative points than plus points to this game at the moment.

If you are making games with a degree of realism in them then you need to explain the why's and wherefore's or you get what we have right now - a disappointed fan base. That is just good design practise. I have seen people argue that *IT'S THE FUTURE* and *IT'S JUST A GAME* but its not like that during design - its life, you live and breathe it. If you can't explain it - no matter how feasable it actually is - then why bother?

Mr Specter should worry about losing a customer - because it will not only be ONE. There will be plenty of people who decide to download this and check it out rather than buy it - or simply not bother, which is a waste of what started out as a great franchise.

I loved reading WS interviews, he think's along the same lines as me - it just seems that he forgot to implement a lot of what he says to this game.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 08:34.

65. Re: *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 08:26 DrEvil

Where'd you read people asking for unified ammo? It's the dumbest fucking idea ever, and prior to this I've never heard of it suggested, so I'd like to know what group of morons thought it would be a good idea to put in such a feature that makes no sense, and never will.

64. *shakes head* Nov 26, 2003, 07:54 Reactor

I wanted MORE options that have MORE consequences. I wanted to completely specialize to something while being completely inadequate in something else, or to be balanced but not outstanding in anything. More depth, more mods, more choices.

I want you to quit your damn pissing and moaning, but you think I'm going to get that? Go and write your own perfect game if it means that much to you.

And for goodness sakes you bunch of whiners, if you don't want to play a game with something new in it, then keep playing Deus Ex 1. I've read thousands of lines of text where people complained there wasn't some form of unified ammo, and now there is, everyone's whining about the 'good ol' days' when you had to swap to a really lame weapon because you'd only find 1% of sniper cartridges on the floor, compared to a normal pack of bullets, which you could find in every box.

Amazing revelation: just as lame.

It's a game people. You play it, you enjoy what you can about it. You don't cry about it not being perfect, in the way you'd cry about a lost family member. Games don't always live up to expectations. Get used to it, and maybe you'll find they entertain you anyway.

Saying pathetic lines like "You just lost a very important customer MR SPECTER." just makes you sound like a dumbass.

63. Re: . Nov 26, 2003, 07:38 306

Run and gun was very possible indeed! I replayed Deus Ex seeing exactly how much I could kill and tried to do everything in a way I had not done previously. Like has been said I had to sneak from time to time to conserve my ammo but for the most part I killed everything....hell I even set off alarms to make sure they would come to me and be killed.

Fear not people the game that you want is out there - you just have to keep the faith! If you fund them, they will come!!!

62. Re: Um... Nov 26, 2003, 07:32 306

Whilst I won't judge any game on a demo I do not hold high hopes for DX:IW. This was the game I had been waiting for and what with Mr S wetting my appetite every once in a while I was chomping at the bit to get stuck into this. Whilst the demo has not completely pissed on my chips it has sprinkled a little bit of wee on my expectations and dampened them somewhat.

I still can't see the game that Mr S talks so emphatically about in interviews though?

61. Re: . Nov 26, 2003, 07:30 Beamer

Run and gun was very possible. I played with a balanced player, although concentrating on rifles. For the most part I killed everything in the game that could be killed (outside of some robots), often with direct shots, not sneaking. I did sneaking around robots, and some guards when I was low on ammo, but for the most part if it was breathing it wouldn't be after I played the level. Very similar to the way I played HL, only with some more stealthiness when need be.

Unified ammo takes away half the fun. Sometimes you got stuck using something you didn't like, such as the crossbow, because you had a ton of darts, not many bullets, and knew you could take the current enemies out with the crossbow fairly well. So much for that now.

My biggest gripe is the removal of experience. You start out an expert in everything. Takes away the reward of exploring, which was very rewarding. Takes out much of the rewards in general, and it makes every character much the same.

I wanted MORE options that have MORE consequences. I wanted to completely specialize to something while being completely inadequate in something else, or to be balanced but not outstanding in anything. More depth, more mods, more choices. Instead we get less. Instead of being who you want to be, you're who they made you.

Fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

60. . Nov 26, 2003, 07:20 Bob

Seen against the tidal wave of negative feedback from everyone, that "official announcement" looks more pathetic every time I read it. Did the key get stuck when they were typing exclamation points????????

And did anyone notice "...when they pick up the controller"

why not "..when they sit down to play"

and Xbox is listed before PC

It's pretty clear what their target is.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 07:21.

59. Re: Um... Nov 26, 2003, 06:15 Wowbagger_TIP

I find myself having (hold on to your hats here) fun. I like throwing things around, shooting at things and generally enjoying myself.

Sounds like you're the type that would be entertained by a shiny object you find on the ground too...

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

58. No subject Nov 26, 2003, 06:11 Xombie

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 06:12.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

57. No subject Nov 26, 2003, 05:54 ClawHammer

LMAO! I think this post caputures the dissapointment most of us feel but adds much need humor: http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=205522

56. Re: Demo Sucked, now it's Gold. Nov 26, 2003, 05:49 Xombie

But my point is that Max Payne 2, HL2 beta and the D3 alpha all run on my crappy GF2 Ti
A game with a modified version of a two year old engine, a game with scalable graphics down to Savage card level, and a game that isn't anywhere near as heavy on DirectX9 use, proabably aren't very good comparisons to how a souped-up UW engine game works on your computer.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

55. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 05:46 AgentD

"That is complete nonsense. Deus Ex 1 did not let you run-and-gun because the combat was very awkward. Sure, DX2's combat is also awkward, and that's disappointing -- but don't make stuff up to prove your point. DX1 did not let you be the gun-toting maniac ... UNLESS you had upgraded lots of augs and weapons. And guess what? The DX:IW demo didn't show all the biomods and weapon mods that will be available in the full game. Don't judge the game on a demo that's incapable of showing that kind of gameplay (like I said, I know that's a cop out -- but it's also true)."

I'm not so sure, and I'm not just making it all up. With an unmodified assault rifle and "Trained" in rifle skill, I did fine in the early levels without resorting to stealth. I'm not saying you can hold down the run key and blast through the whole level in a minute, you do have to deal with accuracy to some degree. Anyway, I'm into realistic games, and while Deus Ex 1 certainly wasn't perfect, Invisible War's damage system makes me sick. They said themselves that the reason for the 4-headshot kills is that they wanted the battles to "last longer".

Bottom line, to me it now feels like Quake 3 with Havok, dynamic shadows, and an interactive plot. I'm sure it's still a good game, and I hope people do enjoy it, but there are other games I'd rather spend my money on now.

54. Demo Sucked, now it's Gold. Nov 26, 2003, 05:43 Dante_uk

This is the worst demo I've played in a long time. From the screwed up installation ( leaving Reead-Only on .ini files and .ini with Xbox settings as default ) to the graphics ( not so much a Wow, more a Urghh ) to the horrible UI to the worst AI I've seen in years.
I really don't remember the AI being that bad in Dx1.

Now a day or two later, after a ton of negative feedback, multiple partitions complaining about various bad design choices, removing elements that made Dx1 great, adding nothing of value, now they go Gold.

Max Payne 2 looks better and has much bigger levels and much better AI. It doesn't have any realtime lighting but then Dx2's lighting is a mismatch of different lighting methods, have to wait for D3 to show how it should be done.
But my point is that Max Payne 2, HL2 beta and the D3 alpha all run on my crappy GF2 Ti, Dx2 doesn't.
I had to try it on my work laptop with GF4 Go, and Dx2 still looks washed out ( yes I turned Bloom off ).

The maps are so small because my Digital Camera has more memory than the XBox. Come to think of it the screen looks sharper than a XBox game on a TV too

Another lost sale Mr Specter.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 05:47.

53. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 05:39 AgentD

"They didn't completely neuter your playstyle-- this demo included a few enemies, one location that allowed for human-to-human combat, and a few weapons-- certainly not enough evidence make one believe that stealth gameplay is out. Who knows, maybe some of the new augmentations will allow for new methods of being stealthy. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, it's still obviously going to be a thinking man's shooter (well, shooter isn't really a good description at all actually, but you get the point)."

Well, I was basically referring to the lack of leaning, movement speed changes, removed accuracy simulator, and inability to perform a silent takedown without heavily enhanced weapons/augs. (Having to repeatedly beat an enemy into submission with a club while they shoot you isn't very stealthy ;P) Basically, the whole experience feels much cheaper and arcade-like than the original game, which I'm currently playing through again.

52. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 05:28 Xenos Overdrive

I don't think you're quite on the mark by saying the DX1 demo successfully demonstrated the full gameplay aspects of the game. It had just about every element already present in the beginning level! It was kind of hard not to play a preferred style. It comes down to oppinion, as in most cases, but I'm afraid I have to say comparing the DX1 demo to DX2 is almost apples to oranges. In the very least, the second DX1 demo (where they included Hell's Kitchen) let you explore any avenue of gameplay you wanted, it beautifuly demonstrated what the developers were trying to accomplish with the game. DX2's first outing seemed narrow and constrained.

*sigh* Spector was once the Stanley Kubrick of the gaming world and now it seems Warren went and pulled a George Lucas on us.

Oh well, here's to Half-Life 2. Cheers.

Oh, come now. You haven't even played the full game yet! I'm not defending the demo's obvious flaws (four headshots with a pistol....and the dude's still up and going; slight balance issue there), but given that Valve developed their own engine for HL2, it could fall flat on its ass just as well.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 05:39.

51. Um... Nov 26, 2003, 04:56 Reactor

*pushes through the crowd of whiners*

I liked the DX2 demo. I didn't at first because heck... it runs like a complete dog, even with shadows off, above 640. After playing it a while though, I find myself having (hold on to your hats here) fun. I like throwing things around, shooting at things and generally enjoying myself. Nice to have fun aside from doing the ol' A to B routine.

50. Warren Lucas. Nov 26, 2003, 04:55 NotOneOfUs

*sigh* Spector was once the Stanley Kubrick of the gaming world and now it seems Warren went and pulled a George Lucas on us.

Oh well, here's to Half-Life 2. Cheers.

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo