Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War

Eidos sends word that Deus Ex: Invisible War, the highly anticipated follow-up to Deus Ex, is now gold. Here's the announcement:

As we near the Thanksgiving break, we want to keep with tradition and give thanks for the good things in life. What could possibly be better than announcing to the gaming community abroad that their anticipation is truly almost over. We are pleased to report that Deus Ex: Invisible War has OFFICIALLY GONE GOLD for both the Xbox and PC!!!! The day is now almost at hand when gamers no longer follow the leader being spoon fed their experience when they pick up the controller. Invisible War lets the player take the lead in their own gaming experience and create the world around them. The choices you make, the actions you take the directives you follow...or choose not to...will all play a key role. On December 3rd, Deus Ex: Invisible War hits retail shelves across North America....how will YOU choose to fight?

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

29. No subject Nov 26, 2003, 00:11 Madguy

Good lord, I haven't seen this much negativity toward a game based on a demo since Daikatana! Here's what will probably happen-- the full version will end up with great reviews and you'll all forget this ever happened. It's a relatively small demo, keep an open mind.

I love all this criticism of design decisions... folks, they did this stuff for a reason, and they put a lot more thought into it than you did. Maybe the decisions will turn out for the better, maybe for the worse, we shall see. Does unified ammo really make the game less fun? C'mon, simpler does not = lousier.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 23:37 Tar

Wazootyman, that is by far the best comment I have seen in regards to DX2! I had to save it

27. Re: Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 23:21 Paradroid

I can verify they said they would be "shifting the teams focus to Thief 3" but that certainly doesn't mean they won't be making a patch. Actually Warren himself said just today the opposite; that they are going to address these issues in a patch.

If you are like me and had fun with the demo regardless of these issues that's a good thing but I'm still buying the game. The demo kicked ass.

26. Re: Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 23:17 Xombie

They already said 100% of their resources will go into Thief 3 after releasing Invisible War. We will never see a significant patch, an SDK, or anything
When did they say that? I'd certainly like to read it.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

25. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 23:15 amygdala

I'll gladly revisit the game if they do address the issues raised by the demo. But I expect that to take a few months, at least.

For now, I have a cancelled pre-order, and a free t-shirt for a game I don't want to play. Whee.

Thanks Harvey.

24. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 23:09 Xombie

In the original you had to worry about something called "hack skill" (what does that mean anyway?!? IT'S TOO CONFUSING!) and running out of time when hacking. It was complicated! Now all I do is walk up and press "use" on the pad and I hack it in a matter of seconds, without any sense of danger or threat to my intelligence!
All you had to do in the original was put a single point into hack skill, and then learn how to type/click fast. Seriously. Try it.

23. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2003, 23:07 Xombie

All the crying over this game is amusing. It's not as good as DX1
This has nothing to do with DX2, but...
Nothing will ever be as good as DX1. The fact is, that DX1 was so great because the community found ways to screw with the game itself. People are still doing things in DX1 that ISA specifically attempted to prevent the player from doing in the game. The lack of developer control and prhibitions put into the game design is what allowed the gameplay to become as great as it was.
It had shitty graphics (even for 2000, DX1's graphics were atrocious and they spent very little time on them), piss-poor voice acting, and a story that was ripped straight from "Paranoid Nerd Monthly".
What will happen with DX2, I don't know, I can't predict, and I can't even begin to observe since I'm stuck with my old-as-dirt GF2 until Christmas. But don't expect anyone soon to actually DESIGN a game better than DX1 on purpose. Even the the greatness of DX1's design was a fluke.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 23:16.

22. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2003, 22:55 strangelove

Scroll down to Monday's entry. It's rather interesting, discussing having to review a full build of the game after the demo received such a slating...

http://gillen.blogspot.com/2003_11_01_gillen_archive.html

21. Re: Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 22:55 ColoradoHoudini

okay wait:
the demo sucked
the game just went gold
did they fix the game? if so, will they release a new demo?
if they DONT release a new demo but promise its fixed, is it okay to dload the game then to test it out?
because we all got burned by the demo.

i think thats a fair trade.. and if u dload the final full game and its worth it-then buy it.

20. Haven't smiled.... Nov 25, 2003, 22:53 Slaughter

...since I played the Invisible War demo. It annoys me that a PC game can matter this much to me, but I wanted to cry after playing that demo. I believe there will be some ups in the full game compared to the demo, but this is still some of the worst design decisions made EVER.

BUT, I want to thank the person who wrote the post at the Ion Storm boards. I laughed well at that one, and I needed that after this mess. And a thanks to you too Wazootyman. Your dripping sarcasm was more of the smile producing medicine I needed. The cold truth just went gold though...

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

19. Re: Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 22:35 Mad Max RW

The game is gold and the demo is exactly how the full game plays. They already said 100% of their resources will go into Thief 3 after releasing Invisible War. We will never see a significant patch, an SDK, or anything. I don't normally advise people to stear clear of certain games, but stay the hell away from this one. You'll be dodging a bullet for sure.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 22:35.

18. Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 22:30 D4rkKnight

That statement changes nothing...look at some of these sentences, they are all eluding, allowing the dev's an out in every situation.

"we want to address them, whether through an updated demo or a PC game patch or both."

We WANT to? What happened to we will?

"We stand by our game design choices..."

Meaning nothing will change, and the whole point of this post is to say if you dont like it fuck off? Why would you bother to post if your just going to tell people we arnt changing anything.

"Rest assured we ARE investigating the issues you've raised."

I've heard this bullshit before. I'm sorry but actions speak louder then words, investigating? Whats that mean in PC game terms? A $30 expansion pack perhaps? What a joke...

OK I'm not saying Deus 2 sucks or is going to suck, but anyone who reads that and feels satisfied might as well stick a post-it note to their forehead with the word "GULLIBLE" in big bold letters.

17. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 22:30 AgentD

God, I love Deus Ex, it's one of my favorite games. The interactivity, realism, immersion, tactics, combat... all of the things they took out of Invisible War!!! Woo! customer--

16. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 22:13 pob

Mr.Spector [the real one] has made some kind of statement about things : http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=205527

15. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 22:04 Mad Max RW

The awful demo completely turned me off from ever getting this game.

For those of you who still have hope for the future of Deus Ex, the next game is positively a console exclusive. Mark my words.

14. Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 21:55 Wazootyman

Wow! I must say I love Deus Ex 2! They took everything that made the original fun, and made it better, then took everything that make the original too complicated and took it out!

For example, hacking! In the original you had to worry about something called "hack skill" (what does that mean anyway?!? IT'S TOO CONFUSING!) and running out of time when hacking. It was complicated! Now all I do is walk up and press "use" on the pad and I hack it in a matter of seconds, without any sense of danger or threat to my intelligence! Much better!

Also, in the original, I always had to think about different types of ammo. I'm sure everyone who played it thought to themselves many a time, "why can't I put my pistol ammo in my rocket launcher?!? It doesn't make any sense!". Deus Ex 2 corrects this glaring problem by letting you put whatever ammo you want in any gun you want! Just like real life!

They also took out these things called "locational damage", "reloading" and "silent takedowns". I don't really understand what those mean, but I'm sure the game is much better without them!

My only complaints would be, that there should be some way to make the interface bigger. Also, guns and multitools should use the same ammo, cuz I get confused trying to remember two numbers at the same time.

I'm just glad someone finally made a version of Deus Ex that I can play with my simple monkey brain. Ook ook eek! Yay! Feeding time! Deus Ex will have to wait.

-Koko the typing monkey

13. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2003, 21:55 Halsy

After that lame console-ish demo they definitely lost a sale with me.

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

12. No subject Nov 25, 2003, 21:46 eunichron

All the crying over this game is amusing. It's not as good as DX1, I'll give them that, but it's decent compared to a lot of the other drivel that's been released this year.

I am a proud owner of an Xbox
This comment was edited on Nov 25, 21:47.

11. Re: Cool Nov 25, 2003, 21:44 Sepharo

God, and they wonder why people download games...

10. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2003, 21:44 Stuart

A few?

I personally can't remember such outrage for a single demo. I'm sure someone will correct me, but the sheer amount of negative posts is off the charts.

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo