Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War

Eidos sends word that Deus Ex: Invisible War, the highly anticipated follow-up to Deus Ex, is now gold. Here's the announcement:

As we near the Thanksgiving break, we want to keep with tradition and give thanks for the good things in life. What could possibly be better than announcing to the gaming community abroad that their anticipation is truly almost over. We are pleased to report that Deus Ex: Invisible War has OFFICIALLY GONE GOLD for both the Xbox and PC!!!! The day is now almost at hand when gamers no longer follow the leader being spoon fed their experience when they pick up the controller. Invisible War lets the player take the lead in their own gaming experience and create the world around them. The choices you make, the actions you take the directives you follow...or choose not to...will all play a key role. On December 3rd, Deus Ex: Invisible War hits retail shelves across North America....how will YOU choose to fight?

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

129. Re: This game blows Dec 2, 2003, 14:20 Panick

Well, DX3 is gonna be console only, don't remember exactly where I read it but when they were asked if it will come for PC they said something like "duuh....uhh....um, maybe"
That's a short for "NO".

Anyway, Theif 3's future looks bleak indeed. Especially cause it's also gonna be a console port.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

128. Re: This game blows Nov 28, 2003, 17:06 EvilGoof_Trollboy

nope they wont go out of business with this one, they'll make a stack of cash. the one after this though, if they fuck that one up then here's hoping they crash and burn

127. This game blows Nov 28, 2003, 10:38 Mitch

I hope Ion Storm goes out of business for releasing this shite game.

126. Re: Negativity Nov 27, 2003, 12:36 Moog Operator

lol, still a double click x 30 trillion is going to get a bit lame. I didn't know you could deselect, but I guess if I ask myself the question: how would I deselect if I was using a controller? I'd have seen that. Still annoying, and either way, it is a console UI

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

125. Re: Negativity Nov 27, 2003, 11:39 NotOneOfUs

Actually, you can simply click on the item to deselect it.

Unless that item is a medkit or energy cell, in which case you then use it by "deselecting".

124. Re: Negativity Nov 27, 2003, 10:55 Ray Marden

Actually, you can simply click on the item to deselect it.

Thinking it is still a pain in the butt, though,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.}

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

123. Re: Negativity Nov 27, 2003, 10:46 Moog Operator

Xombie, on your own admission, you have seen nothing of the UI for this demo. IT is horrible, and is obviously a console port 100% of the way. For example: If you want to put a gun in your belt, you must open the inventory screen, click the gun once, then click the spot you want it to go into. There is no way to deselect something once selected, so if you make a mistake, you must move the gun elsewhere. this seems simple, but if you want to look at the contents of your inventory by, say, using the mouse to click on the various items and get info, you enjoy a complete shuffle of your inventory. hmm.... If you imagine using a controller to do this, it makes sense. Perfect sense. You have an up and down, and moving in between inventory items is that simple. As a PC user, to facilitate easy viewing of what is in my inventory, I do not feel it is necessary, clever, or anything close to a good design to make me use arrow keys. This UI was NOT AT ALL THOUGHT OF PAST CONSOLE/CONTROLLER USE. For a mouse user, which is more or less the whole of the PC audience, it makes no sense, is inefficient, and gimps your use of the inventory and Augmentations menus. They didn't get rid of the mouse dependence, the ui was very obviously made for consoles, and ported directly to PC.

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

122. No subject Nov 27, 2003, 10:42 XEON

The PC gaming market is currently sitting at around 27% of all game sales with consoles talking up the lionshare of 65% (ish) and the other gaming platforms sitting at around 8%. The PC market is at a low ebb, the same way it always seems to go during the mid console cycle. At platform change the PC market actually increases to over 30%.

Source: ILS Report from http://www.screendigest.co.uk the best place for real market data in the entertainment industry

The PC market isn't dying.

Edit: added my source

"Leading the fight for original WASD gaming"
This comment was edited on Nov 27, 11:06.

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

121. Re: lol Nov 27, 2003, 10:27 Creston

honestly, when was the last time you saw almost nothing but complaints, woe, and a general lambasting of a GONE GOLD announcement, and people begging for delays instead?

Uhm, UT2K3 comes readily to mind.
You also have to take into account that this game has probably been the most eagerly anticipated game all year, with the exception of Half Life 2, and once that died in their security lab, people's focus shifted to Deus Ex : IW.

I quite agree with Valzante, with the exception that I don't think the PC gaming industry is dead. However, I also don't think the PC gaming industry can sustain the money and development time thrown at its current games, without breaching off into the land of consoles. Selling a hundred thousand copies ISN'T ENOUGH anymore. If a game costs 5-10 million dollars to develop, you need to sell half a million copies to get somewhere above your break even point.
So can I forgive Warren & Co for creating a game that is more accessible and less "niche"? Yup, absolutely.

It's a price I'm willing to pay so that games at least still COME OUT on the PC. Because I'll bet that each and every one of you who complains and vows you won't buy it will be even more pissed off if the next Deus Ex ONLY comes out on Xbox... (or whatever the next gen console at the time is).
I'll mention once again my experience with KotOR. Pissed off as hell during the first three hours at its console feel, then got drawn into the story, and was smugly appreciative of the fact that I run it at 1600x1200x6FSAAx8xAF, as opposed to the Xbox peeps who had to watch it at 300x400.

Some of you seem to think that NO good game can ever come out on a console, and as such, any game that's developed for cross platform use automatically has to suck. I think nowadays MORE good games come out on the consoles than they do on PC. Vice City is still one of the three finest games I've ever played, and I liked it better on the PSX2 than I do on the PC (albeit because I have no gamepad for my PC, and steering with mouse / keyboard is teh suck).

I think many of the issues with DX : IW can and will be fixed, in fact, I think many of the issues HAVE already been fixed, since a lot of them came from an improperly configured .ini file. It's not as if they had to rewrite the renderer.

Some of those complaints won't be addressed. I doubt we'll see Unified Ammo disappear, since that would be a task of herculean proportions. It also seems location based damage is gone, we might not see that back, since I think that's quite an effort to put that back in. I DO firmly believe that they will address issues people have with the HUD, like being able to operate it with the mouse, if I understand the complaint correctly, and the performance issues will get cleared up either before or within the first week or so of release.

In the end it boils down to this. I have NEVER played a game that Warren Spector has been involved in that I DIDN'T like. So while the guy is still batting 1.000 in my book, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And, besides. It's Deus Ex!

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 10:35.

120. lol Nov 27, 2003, 09:27 Yakumo

"As we near the Thanksgiving break, we want to keep with tradition and give thanks for the good things in life. What could possibly be better than announcing to the gaming community abroad that their anticipation is truly almost over. We are pleased to report that Deus Ex: Invisible War has OFFICIALLY GONE GOLD for both the Xbox and PC!!!!"

What gaming comunity is this then? oh the little imagined one in your heads that's been posting countless fluffy reviews of the demo. The only people that read these PR anouncments are the ones online, that read news sites like bluesnews, IGN, shacknews etc etc, and it must be in the region of 85- 90% of this comunity had it's anticipation totally KILLED OFF when they saw this demo, i've never seen *such* flack over a demo before.

honestly, when was the last time you saw almost nothing but complaints, woe, and a general lambasting of a GONE GOLD announcement, and people begging for delays instead?

most of the people saw a great deal of potential as i said, so it will probably do well, it just needed that tiny little last bit of polish that can be given by listening to user feedback.

After all, it's the users that have to play it in the end, it's all supposed to be for them.

we're not waiting for the game

that runs like it's using an in built xbox emu, not a single bit of properly optimized PC code or interface, hell even the dumbass AI could probably be put down to the console as they wanted to spare the underpowered CPU the extra cycles it needed to keep everything else going. ( The NPC's probably have the ability to sit, they're all just too stupid now after the ace e3 demo)

we're waiting for the patch

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 09:37.

119. Re: 2 Cents Nov 27, 2003, 09:26 cia

BULLSHIT! Where do you get the idea that the PC gaming market is dying? The figures do not support that! Your fantasyland ideas about the economics of the PC gaming industry are just that - fantasies.

The truth is that developers are going to try to maximize their development investment, providing code that will work with the least modification across platforms.

CONSOLES screw up PC games. There is no question that consoles are at the shallow end of the gene pool, and their inferior pedigree has tainted the PC world in only negative ways.

In other words, consoles suck.

118. 2 Cents Nov 27, 2003, 07:20 Icewind

I've spent a good amount of time reading this forum and the official one...good reads, very good reads. I laughed, I cried, I projectile vommited, everything that you'd expect from a serious and chaotic explosion of fan debate.

...so after hearing all of this, I began to piece together what everyone has whined, cried, and b*tched about and came away with what *I* think is the perfect explanation to why the game is "Like this".

The unified Ammo, no reloading, the odd HUD, the "Why must I press ESC if I use a mouse?" thing...it is all a result of Warren Spector wanting his game to appeal to casual gamers.

Let's face facts here, you will all buy DX2 eventually. Warren has the "Gamer Geeks" in his pocket...he doesn't need to please you because he knows you'll buy his game no matter what, he only needs to please the people who normally wouldn't buy his game. He has even said as much in his interviews. Remember how he complained that very few people beat DX1? Or how he noticed through Eidos' market research that very few gamers ever beat ANY game? (Not us "hardcore gamers") Remember how he said he wanted a game anyone could beat that would never intimidate or confuse ANY gamer? To put it simply: He wants Mr. Average to buy and beat his game.

The mid 20's hipster with slicked-back hair who sips flavored coffee at a place in the mall and who enjoys movies with Jim Carrey and only likes LOTR because of the "Cool swordfights at the end". The Average Shallow Joe who watches baseball on TV and reads the sports section then throws the paper away. The guy who never votes and never complains. The guy who married his highschool sweetheart/cheerleader at 21 and got a "Liberal Arts" degree at a community college. This is the guy that makes or breaks a game. THIS is the guy who made the Sims such a money-maker. This is the same guy who made "Myst" a household name. This guy is the ONLY thing that will help Warren and Company make this game a big seller.

Remember, DX1 only sold about 100K copies...even less on the PS2...compound that with the fact that the PC game industry is all but dead right now and you can't blame Spector & Co. for chasing after the casual gamer.

All I have to tell my fellow 80's children who grew up with C64's and AppleIIe's is this: Get used to it. A game like Ultima 4 or System Shock wouldn't sell nowadays. Gaming geeks like us are too small in number to support a game (System Shock 2 sold 12K copies, one of which I own) so don't blame your gaming gods when they pander to the mainstream masses in an effort to make a profit.

As for me, I'm buying the game because I accept the "Mainstreaming" of the PC game hobby. I realize that if I want my favorite hobby to thrive, I must allow game makers to simplify games so that the "Mundane people" can enjoy them. It is, I'll admit, a very small price to pay for saving my hobby from total destruction.

I know many of you will flame, and that's great, you should. You just need to realize how difficult it is to make a profit in the PC Gaming market nowadays. I've accepted the game's condition, and will enjoy the game's story in much the same way I would a novel. Good or bad, it's the fact that I will have supported the hobby that matters.

(Throws 2 cents on the table and walks out)

My $10,000 Collection!
(Ten of my games aren't in the IGN database)
http://users.ign.com/collection/Kairaega

117. Re: Negativity Nov 27, 2003, 05:16 Xombie

creston, you have to try out the inventory interface.
It is 100 percent designed for console, you can barely use the mouse in it.
Warren Spector openly intended to get rid of the mouse dependence in DX2's interface before DX2 went into development.

Why is it that there are people calling themselves "loyal fans" here, when they don't even remember the problems that Warren admitted about DX1 since DX1 went onto shelves?

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

116. Re: Negativity Nov 26, 2003, 23:22 anon@24.76

creston, you have to try out the inventory interface.
It is 100 percent designed for console, you can barely use the mouse in it.
I think the look of the the new interface looks cool, but how it is used is complete garbage.

115. Re: Negativity Nov 26, 2003, 21:41 Chris

Selling <100k in three months is not the same as selling <100k. Don't you think that maybe -- particularly after "winning FIFTY GOTY awards" -- it might have sold a few copies in the fourth, fifth, and maybe even last month too? (It topped the UK charts when released, for example).

Further, the assumption that the abysmal design choices IS has made will actually lead to greater console sales, much less aggregate sales, seems suspect. Wouldn't spending a little effort to recast the PC version have been prudent (as they did when porting that Star Wars RPG)? Even failing that, do XBox gamers really prefer all the stuff that PC gamers are (rightly) criticizing? Doubtful.

The demo is a disaster of Biblical proportions. Even if we optimistically assume that there's a great game amidst the mess and IO simply failed to tweak the code for the PC, what does is say about the corporate culture at IS? At the very least they could have had a junior programmer spend a few hours prepping the PC demo. Defending this rubbish ("we stand by our choices") is just obnoxious -- that comment sealed my decision not to fork over my money for this game.

At best, DX2 is a showcase for brutally incompetent and arrogant public relations. More likely, it's simply a crappy game.

114. Hmm Nov 26, 2003, 19:02 AgentD

Ok, I keep having to repeat myself, so I'll just rephrase my main arguement simply:

They took all of the interaction and realism out of combat.

113. Re: still sucks Nov 26, 2003, 15:32 DedEye

I d/l the tweak program and tweaked away. Still can't get it to save the resolution. Movement is somewhat better with mouselag=0 and other tweaks, but overall I am still disappointed.

Too many features axed with nothing to replace them. This demo has the same atmoshpere, but nowhere near the same gameplay as the original.

I want to like this game. The demo doesn't represent the final product? Perhaps, but will not risk the $70 cdn on it, not at this time.

112. Re: Negativity Nov 26, 2003, 14:33 Yakumo

BLizzard never claimed starcraft:ghost was anything other than a console game.

they've never stated they're doing a starcarft sequal at all.

and they provided quite a enough warcraft games to keep any RTS gamer more than happy in the mean time.

111. Re: still sucks Nov 26, 2003, 14:05 wtf_man

"The AI is definately flawed, I've harped on it before. And actually I think it's just more shallow then flawed. But that guy is being needlessly nitpicky for humor's sake."

Oh, I agree.

But it does show a drastic comparison of the "Dev's Quoted Hype" versus what you are REALLY getting.

110. Re: still sucks Scottish martial arts Nov 26, 2003, 14:01 Ratty

I thought the same thing until I looked more deeply into the .ini file:

FuckThePCPlayer=True

You gotta set that puppy to False

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo