Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

312. Re: terrible demo Nov 25, 2003, 03:16 Von Helmet

I still haven't played this demo, and I pretty much can't face it now.

I mean... Deus Ex 2 is bad? How? Why?

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

311. Early April Fools. Nov 25, 2003, 01:12 NotOneOfUs

I'm still waiting for Warren to come out and say "Ha ha ha, they fell for it! Man, are they ever gullible! Okay, everybody, here's the real demo."

310. terrible demo Nov 25, 2003, 00:41 Boston

No headshots, no leaning, unified ammo, vastly underused physics, bad AI, bad performance, terrible interface, etc... Ion Storm is losing a lot of potential customers because of this demo. They never should've released it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but there seem to be people who defend Ion Storm's decision to do away with different types of ammunitions and reloading. I can't understand that. It's lazy and stupid design decision that's easier for the programmers and level designers, and takes away immersion and strategic elements from the player's end. You'll never see other game developers follow DX2's example because it's plain stupid.

309. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 25, 2003, 00:17 Yakumo

ugg iron storm forums have been heavilly censored, plausible excuse lost data in conversion..

it's like stepping into the twighlight zone, there's so much missing but in a way that it seems like it was never there in the first place. there are cirtisizms still but it's really does seem to have gone very benign.
This comment was edited on Nov 25, 01:36.

308. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:44 Yakumo

cool, i'm looking for work if anyone wants deep riggorous QA for games or anything else anywhere near oxford ;o)
don't look at all my typo's it's almost 5am :p

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 23:46.

307. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:39 RegularX

Heh, no, that was the argument until it became an argument about who is or isn't a dumbass. That part was even more pointless

That I can definately agree with And I think Yakumo's thoughts as good synopsis.

306. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:31 JediLuke

so your just arguing about how unified, unified is, or rather should be, how far it should go, which is pointless as it's utterly subjective

Heh, no, that was the argument until it became an argument about who is or isn't a dumbass. That part was even more pointless

~Steve

305. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:29 Yakumo

JediLuke was right you know, our explanations work, but if you wanted to add reloading (which many do) it can work by bypassing the feed from the clips on your belt, and having to insert clips into weapons.

though then you have a unified ammo type, not a single all encompasing ammo pool, unless you remove the clip from one gun to put into another when you put it away, and you have problems with merging the ammo from 2 unfinished clips etc.

basically it's the difference between :

unified ammo , which i'd naturally translate as one ammo type that works in all weapons, keep a clip in a weapon till it's empty, or if you reload early the leftover is lost (unless you go at it like most war FPS's out atm where clips instantly magically merge with their predecessor so you don't loose the rounds left in a clip as you chuck it) and then you get the nice aded bonus of being able to have backup weapons again.

and a unified single pool of ammo all weapons feed off directly. which, despite our exaplnations that work, is really stretching suspension of disbeleif really incredibly thinly, isn't half as fun, and makes you think just why isn't there just 1 gun like MDK or tron instead, oh yeah, cos that'd suck in dx too, at least they didn't go that far!

so your just arguing about how unified, unified is, or rather should be, how far it should go, which is pointless as it's utterly subjective.

heh, now we know why there's no limb damage, you'd not be able to fire anything any more ;o)

erm, but yeah, i'm a fan of role playing games (and dx was always loved so much as an RPG/FPS cross not a lame ass shooter) and films having well thoghut out world systems too, their meant to be immersive right? so you can loose yourself in them. My suspension of disbelif for a future world system without magic lasts about as far as physics allows but many things fail a feasibility studdy when someone stops to ask "is this really stupid", that's the logical process that determins weather we beleive something is realistic or not.

] MOD design HQ [
<geoff> hmm, lets make all our weapons reliant on one single ammo pool, so everythings shared and you never have to reload?
<george> but doesn't that mean you can't keep a backup spare weapon? and if anything along the line is damanged except the weapon itself, ALL weapons are useless?
<bungle> mm, hang on a second everyone "is this really stupid"?
<iron storm> noooo

;o)

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 23:36.

304. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:24 JediLuke

Not directly below my friend.

303. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 23:00 RegularX

Which no one was asking for...

Except for whoever said There's no reason you couldn't reload with unified ammo. Unified ammo and no reloading are still bad ideas. ... oh yeah, you.

Yes it would. Look below for explanation. Good night

Which explains away reloading altogether, dumbass. Sweet dreams.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 23:01.

302. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:51 amygdala

y'know, this is getting kinda fun watching these two argue...

Yeah, it's amusing.

I do have one question, if you're going to have one and only one type of ammo, why not just have one weapon?

You could reconfigure that weapon into different "types" using nanotech (which is pretty darn magical if you ask me). I think it would be interesting if your weapon could only hold three different types at one time. Do I go with the sniper gun type, or the stun rod type?

301. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:48 JediLuke

I was telling you why tacking reloading onto the current system

Which no one was asking for...

wouldn't work

Yes it would. Look below for explanation. Good night.

~Steve

300. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:42 RegularX

Regular was trying to logically justify the gameplay decisions and doing a crappy job of it, focusing the discussion on the plausibility of the system

No, you jackass, I was telling you why tacking reloading onto the current system was a dumb idea that wouldn't work. And now that you've made it necessary to explain it five different ways, it's probably pretty evident.

Which, if you used both sides of your brain, you'd realize you just agreed with for the second time.

299. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:39 Yakumo

mm, this does mean though that anyone using a projectile weapon at all thats available in this world, as they have no alternative ammo store, has to have nano augmentation.

i've not been playing dx1 long but i get the feeling it's meant to be fairly exclusive, even for 20 years after the first game.

hey comeon I.S. think of the money you could have made with all the spinoffs if you'd jsut created a propper world system with continuity ;oP
but then i guess that was blown with the whole security code stoping u punch people/use melay weapons, lol.

298. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:30 JediLuke

still stupid, and i still think it's not as fun, and doesn't have the depth of more than one ammo type

Which was the point the entire time. And yea, at least that explanation works, even though like I said, that was never the main issue. It only became a point of contention because Regular was trying to logically justify the gameplay decisions and doing a crappy job of it, focusing the discussion on the plausibility of the system.

~Steve

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 22:33.

297. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:26 Yakumo

shit man that's freaky, you posted as i was composing that.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 22:26.

296. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:25 Yakumo

each of the guns has it's own mini replicator dedicated to producing it's own ammo, all it requires is power/nanites/both, that it gets fed through nano channels in your arm when you hold the weapon, there is no store, it channels it directly from the clips via your belt.

problem solved?
it's the only way i think they could claim it makes any sense anyway.

still stupid, and i still think it's not as fun, and doesn't have the depth of more than one ammo type. but then it does make map making/item layout easier for the devs.

295. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 22:20 RegularX

Fine. Here's the deal. The ammo doesn't exist in the gun. It exists on your belt. Those "clip" indicators are clips on your belt. The ammo is nanobots and they're attached to the gun via a thin wire you don't really notice in the HUD. Each weapon is connected to the ammo, so there's no time to swap it. When you use any weapon, it's mini UC converts the nanos into whatever ammo the weapon needs and fires. If a clip is used up, it just moves to the next.

There. Since you are apparently the kind of gamer who isn't happy until you explain something to death - you have your explanation. Since you're the kind of person who can't admit when he's wrong (that you can't introduce reloading with a unified ammo setup without messing things up), just STFU.

294. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 21:57 TheFragMan

y'know, this is getting kinda fun watching these two argue...

- Frag

293. Re: Re-newing my Preorder Nov 24, 2003, 21:52 JediLuke

YES! Yes! Yes, you dense, dense little boy, that's exactly what I'm saying because that's exactly how the game plays because THAT IS WHAT UNIFIED AMMO MEANS. U N I F I E D.

Yes, that's how the game plays, but like I said, I'm talking about plausibility. There's a limit to suspension of disbelief. The laws of physics dictate that an object cannot be in two places at the same time, and my suspension of disbelief doesn't go that far. Unified does not mean that the same physical ammo simultaneously exists in all of your weapons. It means that you have one source of ammo which can be reshaped into various forms as needed for applications in each weapon.

Presumably you just pulled all of that out of your ASS.

Nope, I'm only repeating what the developers said. Besides, this is assumed when you're playing the game. The dart gun still shoots darts and the sniper rifle sniper bullets, so obviously there's some kind of system which is taking an ammo source and converting it into different forms... idiot.

Of course that's all beside the point, as you've now gotten all worked up trying to explain something which is irrelevant to the issue at hand. I think unified ammo and lack of reloading are poor gameplay decisions, and I doubt anyone can deny that they both represent the unnecessary oversimplification of game systems which worked just fine in the original game. All the illogical justifications in the world won't change that.

I've already outlined several ways this could've been handled better.

You're a fucking moron making half-assed excuses for half assed design decisions and I'm done with this thread.

~Steve

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 22:19.

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo