Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

12. garbage Nov 22, 2003, 01:54 Ouch

Unplayable because it keeps stuttering and locking up. I have more than required specs, the proper drivers etc. I cranked all the settings to minimal and no effect. It moves a fraction of a second and then locks up for about 4 or 5 seconds. The audio just keeps repeating over and over.

Coupled with what I saw of that extremely annoying hud overlay, I'm fairly confident that this is total garbage. Too bad. Uninstalling now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 01:48 Scottish Martial Arts

Another suggestion to the devs: Take out the damn BS Thief movie and save filesize. Christ - 250mb for 15mins?

Sounds like you didn't take the time to explore and didn't try different approaches. So far my biggest (and only) complaint with DXIW is the controls/interface, I also remember having the same complaint with the original's demo. I suspect that over time I'll get use to the new UI and will be able to enjoy the game just as much if not more so than the original.

10. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 01:36 SaMbO

Particularly ANNOYING is the fact that the key binds reset whenever you change levels or eneter a game.. erm..?

And same here. Controls feel detached, interface is clunky and over-complicated, and I see better models in vanilla UT2K3.

Still, isn't it the 'story/interaction' we're supposed to be concentrating on? Even so, the game looks NOTHING like the BS screenshots we've been fed so far. Suspension of disbelief issues seem to get in the way of enjoying the more cerebral elements of the game.

Having said that, it took me 15mins to complete the demo, so I guess it's hardly a fair 'trial'.

Another suggestion to the devs: Take out the damn BS Thief movie and save filesize. Christ - 250mb for 15mins?

9. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 01:29 D4rkKnight

I wish they passed a law making Xboxs illegal to own, under penalty of death.

But seriously, the console market is hurting the PC market, this is very sad to see, and I hope dev's start putting more time into these so called "ports"

8. Re: Heh. Nov 22, 2003, 01:17 Pumas

I sure hope they are so they can see all the negative feedback from those who bought Deus Ex. I would welcome a delay of this game if they were able to make it not suck. It may be just peachy for a console, but PC gamers are NOT console gamers...we have higher standards and this does not even come close to cutting it. Boo upon Ion Storm. Boo.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

6. Heh. Nov 22, 2003, 01:06 Azraelot

I really can't wait to see what the Penny Arcade guys have to say about this. I'm half-wondering if the guys at Ion Storm are sitting around reading messageboards tonight....

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

5. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 00:56 Brakton

I have downloaded and played the demo version. I did not experience any of the problems reported by users from Bluesnews' earlier post regarding the delay of the demo (true, key bindings didn't remain customized--I assume this would be fixed in the final release).

I have read previous users' posts on the game, and partially agree to most of them. Yes, the game seems to be dumbed down like you would see on a console (I own an X-Box, and while an excellent platform, will not replace the PC. Period.) However, I think the HUD will take some getting used to, but I believe the HUD from the original Deus Ex to be more efficient, but the DX2 version isn't completely horrible.

The graphics were a dissapointment based on screenshots taken from the earlier stages of development provided by different web sites. However, I was able to get some more beauty out of them by of course setting the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 (and even 1280 x 1024), with both resolutions set using the 6X Multisampling option found in the game. In both resolutions, I experienced no slow-downs or choppiness. In fact, the game ran perfectly smooth for me. And my PC specifications are very similar to those who reported FPS problems on previous postings. So I'm not quite sure what is going on for those users. My PC specs are:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
1GB of RAM
-As I said earlier, the FPS is very smooth on my system with those specifications.

I'm still contemplating whether or not to cancel my pre-order. But since it doesn't ship until the beginning of December, I'm going to hold off going that route just a little longer, and continue on with hope.

Perhaps wishful thinking will allow us to believe the retail version of the game will be improved. Again, the screenshots of the game look amazing, so I'm not sure what happened between those and the executable version of the game. I do know one thing though. If the final version isn't any better than the demo, many fans are going to be angry with the DX2 production team and their publisher for shelling out hard earned money on a poor product.

Maybe the final version will be better...... .... . ..it's nice to have a dream.

4. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 00:55 kanniballl

All I have to say is that this game is a TRAVESTY. It has SO MANY elements in it the Deus Ex had. It has so many flaws, I can't even list them anymore. And I LOVED DEUS EX!!! Hell, I'm easy to please, and would cut the game some slack for graphics and performance... but the interface is from 1996 (not the HUD, but how you interact with everything).

The story might be there, and the mission seemed like an original DX-type mission, but that's where the relationship ends. However, i can see it doing well on the XBox, because it's dummied down enough, and the interface IS CATERED TO THE XBOX.

I need a drink. This is friggin depressing.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 00:56.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 00:52 LIQUID-SEX

This demo is great................for me to poop on.

2. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 00:50 Jerry S Ku

agreed

1. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 00:27 RazorWynd

this is teh suxx0r

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >