Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

32. Do you think they will delay the full... Nov 22, 2003, 03:25 Hunterzyph

game on accord of the mostly negative outpour? Or will they bite the bullet and seriously reconsider it later? Damn the Xbox all to hell.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 03:14 Waachi

What happened? They killed it!

I'm VERY rarely disappointed when it comes to gaming, and I like to keep a positive attitude on things, but DX2 ... man. They've really, honestly made it into something I don't like. Everyone who says that this is an XBox title is absolutely correct, it's evident in the interface. Also why do they have to use these massive fonts which take up so much space on the screen? We have high resolutions in the PC market, that means that we can get more data on the screen with standard size fonts.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed. XBox owners will be elated but I'm wondering whether Warren Spector is really thinking about what he's doing.

30. Re: Er... Nov 22, 2003, 03:12 JediLuke

I completely agree with all that Ray has said. I've been posting my thoughts as long rants over on the Ion Storm forums.

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?page=10&pagesize=20&forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34291

I'm ElScorcho.

I too feel that the devs were misleading. Sigh.

~Steve

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 03:13.

29. WOW Nov 22, 2003, 03:03 MeatForce

The interface in this game completely prevented me from finishing the demo. WTF was wrong with the original interface design? I always thought it was amazingly simple for how deep it actually was.. A couple of tweaks would have been nice, but HOLY CRAP!! That has to be one of the worst interfaces ever.

Oh well.. money in the bank for me, I guess.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

28. Re: I liked it... alot Nov 22, 2003, 02:52 Scottish Martial Arts

The first 5 minutes of playing the demo I thought it sucked. Sucked hard. Then I found out new things and got more used to controls/features. I personally don't see that it was "dumbed down" like everyone says. Yes, it clearly IS made to work on a console as well, but I don't think that automatically means its been dumbed down. The graphics amazed me. Alot of people have had problems with them but they looked fine to me. Shadows and lighting were both done extremely well and models were good enough. Not great but certainly everyone you meet looks very unique and easy to tell apart which I really like. Everyone has their own style, it's not just different shades of white/brown.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I'm willing to be that those who say the demo sucked immediately went and killed Saks (struggling with the interface along the way) talked to Sid, ended the level and uninstalled. If you actually explore, talk to people, read books, listen to the news terminal, and do the sidequest two things will result: 1) the interface and controls really arn't bad at all once you get used to them and 2) the game is far more detailed than the original both in terms of environmental detail and the gameplay that can emerge.

I currently only have enough money to buy one game, during the first five minutes of playing this demo I was tempted to say fuck it and go buy KotOR, after getting used to the interface however I preordered my copy of DXIW. Bring on the full version of the game of the year.

Also to those who will claim they explored and it still took them 15 minutes: what faction is the oriental woman who talks to you on your infolink at the beginning of the level associated with? That information is in there, maybe you should look for it.

27. Er... Nov 22, 2003, 02:51 Ray Marden

...what the heck?

I am hoping that an explanation and patch are forthcoming, but I cannot help feel that gamers, particularly Deus Ex fans, were led astray with fals words.

Preliminary thoughts on my part:

• The interface is worse. I really enjoyed the quick to acccess, open System Shock-esque interface of the first game, but I quickly grew tired of the back and forth switching of everything.

• Dark - very dark. Just because you do have enhanced lighting effects, it does not mean you have to plunge everything into total darkness.

• The whole keymapping and option setting process (lack of) is ridiculous. Why, to this day, does this so often become an ignored or forgotten issue?

• What are the realistic requirements for this game? On my XP3200, 9800xt, and 1GB of memory, it does not run all that well. In the "open" area - and let me stress how small this area actually is - I can get down to 35FPS or so.

• To make matters worse, the game feels like it plays even more jerky due to the strange way the game is handling mouse input/smoothing

• PC gamers may not have to wait until the Xbox version is out before they get to play the game, but they *will* definitely be playing a Xbox game. Design, graphics, polygon count, font size, resolution, gameplay - this is a Xbox title from head to toe. I wish the developers had been more upfront about this and/or simply taken that extra time to make the PC version worthy of the platform.

• Is there any chance of getting rid of the blur-o-vision filtering affect or is this a limitation/component of the engine? Heh - it reminds me of the travesty that is latest Tomb Raider game

• I am letdown by this demo. I will still get through it and plod through it as a faulty sneak game, but I cannot help feel that the developers either lost touch with the original game, especially its quickness, or sacrificed the gameplay for engine

• Please, Ion Storm, say it is not so.

Really worried about Thief 3 now,
    Ray

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really, truly hate my computer!
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
    I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.

26. Re: I liked it... alot Nov 22, 2003, 02:48 Xenos Overdrive

Nah, you're not the only one who liked Invisible War. I think it being that Blues News caters more to a hardcore PC gaming crowd that would naturally have rather high (maybe even exagerated?) expectations of a game whose predecessor was nothing short of a legend. I really liked this demo, despite the technical flaws it has, as well as the lack of a more prolonged and fulfilling mission. However, it's something.

Is it better than the first? I can't say, I haven't played the full game. Will it be better in people's minds. Laughably not. Simply because they've got this exaggerated impression that was left of the initial encounter that clouds their judegement. But that's only prejudice, and human nature, for you.

25. "Bloom" Nov 22, 2003, 02:41 Paradroid

One other thing... how did you all feel about the "Bloom" effect ? I hated it at first but then I started to like it and now I love it. It still looks a little bit weird to me, but it also makes everything look so much more real. The whole game looks cinematic to me when it's on.

24. I liked it... alot Nov 22, 2003, 02:40 Paradroid

Well, I might be the first one here who really liked the demo. I was a big fan of the first game too. This is alot different though.

The first 5 minutes of playing the demo I thought it sucked. Sucked hard. Then I found out new things and got more used to controls/features. I personally don't see that it was "dumbed down" like everyone says. Yes, it clearly IS made to work on a console as well, but I don't think that automatically means its been dumbed down. The graphics amazed me. Alot of people have had problems with them but they looked fine to me. Shadows and lighting were both done extremely well and models were good enough. Not great but certainly everyone you meet looks very unique and easy to tell apart which I really like. Everyone has their own style, it's not just different shades of white/brown.

Talking to everyone you can see how much depth is in the game. Everyone has alot to say. A hell of alot.

Anyways, I was very impressed. It's not as good as Deus Ex 1 was in my opinion but it's so much different as well. I had alot of fun anyways.

23. Re: The worst part... Nov 22, 2003, 02:37 Wazootyman

For the 12th time...
    You do NOT have to pay to download it off Fileplanet.
    You never had to.
    Fileplanet even set up exclusive high speed mirrors just for this demo.

I'd say they handled it pretty well.

22. Re: The worst part... Nov 22, 2003, 02:28 hebrew_national

Havent gotten the demo yet, but I just want to say, in a world of "pay to download our files" services, THANK GOD FOR BITTORRENT!!!

I may actually PAY to support this freeware, and thats the 1st time I've payed for something [online] in years. [I payed for a gamespy copy]....that was shortly after it was renamed gamespy from "quakespy". Then that whole company soldout and basically stopped work on gamespy 3d, made a bloatware POS called gamespy "arcade" and the ....okay im ranting now and OT to boot. Sorry.

21. Re: Glad they made a demo Nov 22, 2003, 02:27 Sion441

Me too, I was really fairly confident that they'd do a bang up job. But this is just not it. Let's hope they take everyone's comments and add a few more months development time.

20. Re: The worst part... Nov 22, 2003, 02:25 Bob

"...Perhaps wishful thinking will allow us to believe the retail version of the game will be improved..."

You could just live in a delusional world like me. In my world HL2 and D3 are released and bug free, no one stole the Source code, and Steam is just water vapor.

*sigh*

soooo nice here
    This comment was edited on Nov 22, 02:29.

19. Pathetic Nov 22, 2003, 02:24 chili pepper

This demo is terrible, as I expected it would be ever since I saw the screenhots long ago.

Deus Ex is like the video game version of the Matrix movies.
    I never understood the appeal of either one.

18. Glad they made a demo Nov 22, 2003, 02:23 Cartman

Saved me $40 or whatever they plan to charge for this steaming pile.

17. Re: Mirror Nov 22, 2003, 02:15 anon@24.76

some of the interface things i dont like.
    the keys to go to the diffrent menus, when you are in the inventory menu the biomod menu should come up when you press the key, it doesnt, you have to press esc first, then you can do it.

The inventory, everything is annoyting about this.
    some times tab upgrades weapons, sometimes it drops them, you select one weapon, read its stats or whatever, then click on another weapon to see its stuff, but NO, it just switches the location of the two items, damnit!

16. The worst part... Nov 22, 2003, 02:09 Wazootyman

Well, maybe not the worst part, but I *really* miss being a ninja. So what do I mean by that? Well, it seems like your "options" in Deus Ex 2 are: total evasion/stealth or all out gunfights. What I liked in the original was being able to walk a middle path... the way of the ninja. =D

As a ninja, you are stealthy and clever 90% of the time, but sometimes, you just gotta put a single silenced bullet between someone's eyes, or give em a quick tickle with your stun rod. Fast, silent, deadly.

So why can't you do that in Deus Ex 2? Well, to tell you the truth, you might be able to, but certainly not in the demo. The stun rod takes *forever* to knock someone out, and all the while they are yelling for their friends. The baton takes about 4-6 wacks to take someone out, more than enough time for them to turn around and sound an alarm. The lack of locational damage means you can't down anyone with a single bullet. While you are plugging them the 5-6 times you need to kill them, again, they are yelling and screaming, bringing every nearby guard to you. So you end up either avoiding everyone or killing everyone. Bah. I wanna be a ninja.

Also, the AI *does* suck. Well, maybe suck is too strong a word, and it seems the ridiculous reaction times seen in the previous videos has mostly been corrected, but the AI is certainly nothing special (other than the huge variety of speech phrases the enemies use). Run at you. Shoot. Get stuck on a wall. Repeat. They seem to be unable to find you after you have taken such complex evasive maneuvers as going around a corner, or closing the door and no one really looks for cover or tries to find reinforcements. They just stand and shoot.

Even if the plot is amazing, I doubt I will buy this if the rest of the game is like *this*. And I sincerely doubt the devs would pick the crappiest section of the game to release as a demo, so my hopes for this game are rapidly dwindling.

Oh yeah, and on the whole "merging the skills into the biomods" thing. Some research reveals you will have a grand total of 5 biomod slots (with 15 mods to fill them with) and each has three levels. It's silly to assume you will be able to encapsulate the same level of character development in such a simplified system. I loved how the first Deus Ex required you to work with your strengths and confront your weaknesses as you built a balanced and unique character.

Anyway, this post has gotten so long that no one is going to read it all anyway, so in conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast.

15. Mirror Nov 22, 2003, 01:57 Tim1_2

http://www.filefront.com/r.b/page__file_info/_filepath__/gamingfiles/Deus_Ex_2/Official_Releases/Demo/dxiw_demo.exe/_output.html

that's a long one

EDIT: Oh, and even if the demo is crappy, at least they released it at a nice time so hardcore fans can nab it late at night while regular folk sleep, and then the regs can download it in the morning when the hardcore gamers are busy shelling it on messageboards.

I downloaded it, but I ain't playing it 'till tomorrow at the earliest. I didn't like the first one, and I don't anticipate liking this one either.

-----------------------------------------
    http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
    Currently playing: NHL 2004, Day of Defeat
    This comment was edited on Nov 22, 02:07.

Currently playing: DayZ

14. Re: Downloading Nov 22, 2003, 01:57 Stin

Some advice - Fileplanet's mirror of the demo is up. They're not nearly as backed up as Eidos is...  
    --
    Stin

13. Downloading Nov 22, 2003, 01:54 Stin

Go go gadget-ftp!  
    --
    Stin

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 17.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo