Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

52. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:55 Yakumo

fixed with ini editing?
yeah, it's funny that they said no-one will notice that it's being done for the xbox too as it wont influence anything, yet it seems the ini's have all been left at the xbox settings. ui fov says pc ver is best at 68, then it's set at like, 62 or sometihng, lol.

and whats with this vibration option?

anyway, brighteend the game up a bit, moded the ui fov, and the movement to 0.9. fixed config not saving problem, played through a few times at 1024x768.

still dont really like the models, appart from the flaky unrealistic animation i thoghut we'd moved onto eyeballs now instead of textured flat surfaces ;p but that al ldoesn't matter.

UI gets better once you've fov moded it a bit, and relise you have to click once to highlight, then once to select the item, then you can alter it etc.

still needs drag and drop to swap items about instead though.

and v ,b ,n (or whatever the menu's are bound to) should toggle the menu's instead of having to hit escape all the time.

I quite like it now, it's fairly imersive and can be played very slowly, mostly helped by the dark atmosphere and good music, and this TINY demo won't be giving the slightest idea of the scope of the full game.

but it still could be a *hell* of a lot better.

only really big complaint now is the hit location damage, still a travesty.

so, add(/fix) drag n' drop UI, and hitloc damage asap please!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Oh yeah... Nov 22, 2003, 09:49 Mad Max RW

...I forgot to remind everybody. Remember they said after Invisible War was released they'd devote all their resources to Theif 3? Call me crazy, but it doesn't sound like we'll be seeing any patches after release to fix the major problems. Still want to burn $50?

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 09:49.

50. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:45 Mad Max RW

Last I checked a game that runs like shit and looks like shit can't get GOTY. The fact is this is a weak console spinoff. Compared to other PC games it's almost exactly like Devastation. They won tons of awards for that one, eh?

Invisible War for PC will be a giant flop, but the Xbox version will most likely top the charts. All future Deus Ex spinoffs will be console only. And that's probably a good thing.

I'm perfectly happy with the original, thankyou.

49. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:43 Raptor

For all those that claim to be deus ex fans.

You are wrong if you fail to see the gold under the surface.

The demo is apparently unprepared, the community as alrdy fixed most if not all of the mentioned issues with simple ini editing.

Believe me I have raged quite a bit about this game and still think te xbox is holding it back A LOT.

But if you fail to realise what has always made deus ex great then you should go and play another game, as well as tell IS that they still failed in making it mainstream enough.

48. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:35 SpectralMeat

I agree with the last 2 comments. This game needs a little tweaking but it is definietly a pretty good game and its gonna be fun to play.

Steam: SpectralMeat

47. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:28 StaTik

When I play a game I don't look at the walls to make sure the stucco hangs right, pick over gun textures, shoot the AI in every part of there anatomy to see if he reacts I play the game at face value. This demo feels exactly like Deus-Ex did the first time a played it. If you can get pas the expectations that the hype machine has turned out THIS IS A GOOD GAME. Better then the 1st one? I'm not sure but I think this one is a major contender in the GOTY race just from the couple hours i have spent with this demo.
Close your eyes and take a deep breath, open them and exhale, now double click that icon on your desktop and enjoy the demo for what it is.

46. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:27 FrenchBread

Well I've said it on the other topics, but I really don't understand all the negativity here, I thought it was great.
Actually, thats a lie, as a regular reader of BluesNews I've come to expect 90% of comments to be negative and unreasonable.
I can understand people complaining about the interface, although personally I'd play the game for longer than 15 minutes before making sweeping conclusions about usability. It sure as hell took me several missions in the first Deus-Ex to get used to it's interface.
I can even understand people complaining about frame-rate issues. Although it is using the latest technology and is bound to have problems along those lines. If it looked like DeusEx1 but ran super-smooth, all the same people would be complaining I'm sure.

I can NOT understand anyone complaining about the graphics quality or the gameplay quality. They're both well up to scratch. Gameplay is far more advanced than practically every other game out there. Just in the demo there were loads of little details. Dozens of weapons/grenades to try out. Loads of people who you could talk to. Various paths to try out. Secret areas. And so on. And this was in a HALF-HOUR demo!
I'd also like to see some screenshots of the graphics that people think look awful, because either we've been playing a different game, or something is very wrong with your version!

This is a worthy sequel and I can see many days of my life disapearing in to the full game when it's released.

45. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:01 DDI

Maybe someone will write a mod that puts in localized damage, thats the only thing that REALLY bothers me.

44. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 08:47 Nexus

People looking for the 'way of the ninja' should enter the bottom of the elevator for the tranq dart gun, then mod that with the refire rate enhancer from the barracks. 3 shots will usually do the trick.

43. Re: petition Nov 22, 2003, 08:41 Mangrove

I'm still in disbelief about how shockingly appalling this has turned out to be. Seems they've streamlined and focused the game at the cost of deep choice, interactivity and intrigue. Just one look at the new hacking is probably enough to turn most fans of the original's stomachs.

pfff...outrageous. Signed.

42. Re: petition Nov 22, 2003, 08:36 XEON

As a huge fan of the first I had this on pre-order for months but have cancelled that after playing the demo.

A delay for the game is never going to happen. The game has already gone gold and if its due Stateside in the next couple of weeks then you can be sure its already in the duplication process. The petition is a good idea, I just don't think it'll do much (sadly).

One can only hope that there is someway of patching at least some of the reported issues for the PC version. If nothing else the performance needs to be addressed - I've got a 3200XP with 256mb GF FX (latest drivers) and 1gb of DDR memory and even with the tweaks applied from the Ionstorm forums the performance is crap. I've got to run the game @ 800x600 to get anything like an acceptable fps which is truly shocking. Gameplay certainly comes first for me and graphics takes a firm second place in my priorities, but if the game is running like a dog its hard to tell if the game is actually anygood in the first place.

I'm holding out that either the performance is addressed so I can decide if the gameplay is half of what's being claimed or I'll see if the Xbox version gets a decent demo / review. Until that I'll be spending my cash elsewhere.

Disapointed doesn't cover it.

"Despite constant warnings you have never met anyone who's had their arm broken by a swan"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

41. petition Nov 22, 2003, 08:09 Yakumo

I do think most points are addressed by the dx:iw petition, i do hope they get a s**t-TON of signitures VERY quickly, and ion storm take notice.

please all sign up

http://www.petitiononline.com/DXIWDemo/petition.html

and wtf, someone say's they actually SAID we wouldn't notice any xbox influence? FN ROFL "fisherprice DX" lol

40. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 06:31 Dr.Haggard

Wow...I was sincerely disappointed by this demo. I've got a quite good (Athlon XP 2800+, 1GB Corsair DCDDR, R9700 Pro) gaming machine, but even dropping the detail at 1024x768 didn't result in a playable framerate. The HL2 leak looked and played a lot better than this, and it's months from being finished, and this is the demo they're choosing to release to help sales of DX2? The console feel is pervasive; I had hoped they'd make a good PC version and dumb it down for consoles, but instead they're taking the poor-quality console version and selling it to PC users with little improvement.

Have to agree on all points there, this was a real shock. Even as a multi-platform gamer I'm shocked at what they've done to this - it's horrible to play on a PC.

My biggest gripe is the terrible performance on top notch hardware, which is very disappointing. It's made me very worried about Thief 3, which I was looking forward to a lot more than this.

39. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 06:14 XEON

Really_disapointed, thought this was the PC version ? Feels like a console game head to toe.

:-/

"Despite constant warnings you have never met anyone who's had their arm broken by a swan"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

38. omg teh yag Nov 22, 2003, 05:24 Evil Timmy

Wow...I was sincerely disappointed by this demo. I've got a quite good (Athlon XP 2800+, 1GB Corsair DCDDR, R9700 Pro) gaming machine, but even dropping the detail at 1024x768 didn't result in a playable framerate. The HL2 leak looked and played a lot better than this, and it's months from being finished, and this is the demo they're choosing to release to help sales of DX2? The console feel is pervasive; I had hoped they'd make a good PC version and dumb it down for consoles, but instead they're taking the poor-quality console version and selling it to PC users with little improvement.

The stun prod annoyed me; in Deus Ex (still one of my favorite games of all time, and I replayed it a few weeks ago and was surprised by how well it had aged) two charges were enough to take someone down, but now I have enough time to drink a can of soda while I wait for the guy to drop. It doesn't work like that in reality, and it's annoying in the game world. The pistol was horribly underpowered in the same way. I don't care how tough you are, a pistol round at point blank right in your unprotected eye will kill you, not just make you go 'ouch', reel back for a second, and then continue fighting.

Maybe it can be blamed on piracy; it's easy to get warez for the PC, but consoles are significantly more difficult to use copies on and everyone's got the same hardware, so tech support is much easier also. I really hope this isn't a trend, and I'm certainly not buying the game and supporting Ion Storm when they're putting out steaming piles of s..oftware like this.
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 05:26.

37. Re: Some interesting ini tweaks Nov 22, 2003, 04:52 Wowbagger_TIP

This won't fix core gameplay issues some people don't like, but for those hating some of the console feel, it looks like much of that can be tweaked away.

You can also adjust weapons damage as well apparently. Some people are adjusting it so that it only takes a couple pistol shots to take out an enemy, instead of the 5 or so shots that it usually takes.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

36. Sucko Nov 22, 2003, 04:40 Wowbagger_TIP

All I get when I try to launch the demo is a black screen when it hangs... If I kill that, then I see that it has launched my browser and created an email with no address to send it to... Oh yeah, and before people start asking, I have DX9 installed, the latest nVidia drivers, and I've had no problems with other games, including Max Payne 2 and UT2003. Here's the contents of the email:
Error Message ________________________________________________________________________________ Exception 0xC0000005: Access Violation Call Stack ________________________________________________________________________________ 0x004073F2 DX2! (+0x63F2) (unknown) 0x00418311 DX2! (+0x17311) (unknown) Register Info ________________________________________________________________________________ EAX=0x00000000 EBX=0x00000000 ECX=0x00259640 EDX=0x00130608 Flags=0x00010202 ESI=0x7F940000 EDI=0x00000000 EBP=0x0012DBDC ESP=0x0012D520 EIP=0x004073F2 System Info ________________________________________________________________________________ EXE Name : D:\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\System\DX2.exe EXE Date & Time : 18:17:34 11/18/2003 Current Directory : D:\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\System PDB File (not found) : D:\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\System\DX2.PDB Current Date & Time : 02:32:18 AM 11/22/2003 Username : Administrator Computer Name : BAGGER1 OS Version : Windows 2000 Time Since Boot : 71 hours 44 minutes 26 seconds Physical Memory Usage : 30 Physical Memory (Total) : 536334336 bytes (511 megabytes) Physical Memory (Available) : 370536448 bytes (353 megabytes) Swapfile (Total) : 1308393472 bytes (1248 megabytes) Swapfile (Available) : 1160818688 bytes (1107 megabytes) Virtual Memory (Total) : 2147352576 bytes (2048 megabytes) Virtual Memory (Available) : 2110439424 bytes (2013 megabytes) Standard DLLs ________________________________________________________________________________ msvcrt.dll - Version 6.10.9359.0 from C:\WINNT\System32 msvcrtd.dll - NOT FOUND msvcirt.dll - Version 6.10.8637.0 from C:\WINNT\System32 msvcirtd.dll - NOT FOUND DirectX DLLs ________________________________________________________________________________ dsound.dll - Version 5.3.0000000.900 from C:\WINNT\System32 dinput.dll - Version 5.1.2600.881 from C:\WINNT\System32 d3dim.dll - Version 5.00.2180.1 from C:\WINNT\System32 ddraw.dll - Version 5.3.0000000.900 from C:\WINNT\System32 dplayx.dll - Version 5.3.0000000.900 from C:\WINNT\System32 Unreal DLLs ________________________________________________________________________________ Core.dll - NOT FOUND D3DDrv.dll - NOT FOUND Editor.dll - NOT FOUND Engine.dll - NOT FOUND Fire.dll - NOT FOUND DXAudio.dll - NOT FOUND IpDrv.dll - NOT FOUND Render.dll - NOT FOUND WinDrv.dll - NOT FOUND UWeb.dll - NOT FOUND Window.dll - NOT FOUND App-Specific Logging Text ________________________________________________________________________________ *** Win32 Runtime Fault : ACCESS_VIOLATION *** Build Nov 14 2003 19:12:56 *** Thread Id : 0000063Ch *** Stack Trace Follows... frame: IP=004073F2 SP=0012D520 BP=0012DBDC { 0001:000063F2 D:\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\System\DX2.exe } frame: IP=00418311 SP=00000000 BP=7F944688 { 0001:00017311 D:\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\System\DX2.exe }

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 04:42.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

35. Some interesting ini tweaks Nov 22, 2003, 03:42 strangelove

While waiting for the download to finish, I've been reading some of the comments on the Ion Storm forum. Seems like people are digging into the ini files and finding (and fixing) many of the visual issues with the demo, such as the hud being to far from edge of screen. This won't fix core gameplay issues some people don't like, but for those hating some of the console feel, it looks like much of that can be tweaked away.

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880

34. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 03:35 FloorPie

If you want to save your key remaps/vid settings, go to my documents (yay.. another annoying game that puts saves in my docs) and the dx2 directory there and turn off "read only" on the ini file. Seems strange they left it on..

33. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 03:31 Rainier

A little late but hey, it was Friday .. beer time!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=14606

For those 2 people out there who didnt grab it yet

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo