Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

72. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:30 Azraelot

At this point, all I think most of us can do is wait for the first big patch. If the shipping product is represented by this demo, then it's not going to be worth the aggravation. Gameplay aside, in terms of performance vs. visuals, this has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. With the way it looks, I would expect my FPS to be in the 60s, easy, and I guess it is, when I'm looking at a wall at point-blank range. The game seems to have some kind of Saving Private Ryan effect where all the colors are bleached out.

Let's not even talk about the mouse performance - having an FPS that responds to input like this is like driving in the Daytona 500 with one of those crippled cars they use to teach teenagers about how it feels to drive drunk.

But hey, if they take their time and skip their gone gold vacation and actually finish the game, then it might be worth buying.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Ahh crap.. Nov 22, 2003, 12:28 MeatForce

Now you guys have made me go and re-install this thing in the hopes a few .ini mods will help..

I'm not overly optimistic, but willing to try pretty much anything at this point.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

70. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:23 Mad Max RW

Oh give me a break! The graphics hardly "look like shit", they don't look as good as in the screenshots but DXIW is still the best looking game out there right now...

Having to run this demo on a brand new rig at 800x600 or below it looks like shit. There's nothing particular good looking about any of the game. Models are boring and cartoonish, weapons are awful, everything is washed out and generally looks like shit. But I can live with that if the gameplay is there. Unfortunately the game is slow as fuck. Framerate is all over the place, no amount of tweaking can fix it. If it doesn't run perfect smooth on any setting then the gameplay doesn't matter.

About being the "best looking game out there" you have to learn to open your eyes. Even the first Deus Ex looks better. If you want something more recent try UT23k. Overall it looks nice and runs like a dream.

69. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:15 MattyB

Seems to be getting good reviews in the XBox press - 91% in official XBox Mag, and 5/5 in "Stuff" magazine.

Interestingly, its not out in the UK till March next year...same with "X2: The Threat"

Althought after playing the demo, I'm not really that bothered now anyway.

68. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:09 Bunko

I found the demo fun but not as great as I thought. I've already posted my thoughts in the other thread. I think they need to delay the game a little while and do some tweaking and polishing before they release the game. They need to tweak weapon damage, add locational damage, fix the bugs and interface issues, and improve the performance a little (The game runs my fine on my computer @ 800x600 with details maxed and I have a three year old rig w/ Geforce3 but other people are having problems). I think they've pushed a little too hard to make it in the holiday season. Delay it a month and fix up everything for us PC users. It feels consolish and would benefit from some tweaking. Even if they don't (which is likely) I'll still get the game anyhow

But it would be nice if it felt less like we're playing an X-Box game with a keyboard.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

67. bleh Nov 22, 2003, 12:01 ZzeusS

I had a lot more fun with the first one.

I dunno what this is.. but it's not really that fun.

Right off the bat in the first one you felt like you were part of the story. In this one it was over before I even felt like I started.

And as a tech demo it didn't fly so far, either. The characters bodies had some weird kind of grey flakes shimmering all over the place.

The biomods were hard to use.

I'd have bought a redone DX1 interface with a new story, maybe with some havok.. this.. I duno what this is.

66. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:48 wasrad

I was gonna post my opinion on that matter...but tis worthless at this point.

Fucking sell outs.

65. Re: No 60 Nov 22, 2003, 11:43 Yakumo

has there actually been any official word that the textures in the demo are any different (lower rez, whatever) from the final product at all?

64. From the petition... Nov 22, 2003, 11:42 wasrad

...this guys siad it very well:

I'm crushingly disappointed by what I've played by this game. I don't think a delay is possible at this point in all honesty, but I'd be happy for this game to be delayed by about a year, if it meant somehow bringing it nearer to the standards set by DX1. If it's going to be released in this state, "Deus Ex" should be removed from the name and the game just be called "Invisible War".

63. config - again Nov 22, 2003, 11:38 Yakumo

i made this mistake last night, people corrected me..

it's really important you take off read only on the ini files in the dx folder thats here : "My Documents\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo" folder.

The ones in the games installed dir if you want to try messing with them too obviosuly, such as default.ini for the FOV setting (that effects the hud only).

but for key config etc you want the one in "My Documents\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo"

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 11:40.

62. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:34 Riker

plus its not saving any options and it even ignores my ini, so editing is just useless. and I changed the read-only...

Dunno if this will help or not, but I found an ini file in the DX2 install directory, as well as in the DX2 save game directory under My Documents. They were both read-only.

61. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:29 L0cky

Well I haven't played it yet, have to download the 3.9 catalyst drivers, 3.8 doesn't work (it's in the readme so np).

Read only user.ini... oops

60. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Last I checked a game that runs like shit and looks like shit can't get GOTY.

Oh give me a break! The graphics hardly "look like shit", they don't look as good as in the screenshots but DXIW is still the best looking game out there right now (and this is with the lowres demo textures). As for performance the game runs acceptably on my XP2100=,768 DDR and TI4600. Not great mind you but it certainly runs better than I expected (in the 40fps range).

The only problem I can find with the game is the controls/interface, although I have to admit that the HUD isn't nearly as intrusive as everyone feared it would be. Now that I've played the demo enough the interface difficulties have faded away and all that's left is a really solid game that is a worthy successor to DX.

It's difficult to tell whether this is the better game, the demo just doesn't show off enough of the game, but I do know that this is definately on the same level. Bring on the full version.

59. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:18 Species8472

do I need to say it too??:

Damn, I'm dissapointed!
This demo feels very much like a beta at least and no way like a finished product. story/gameplay/atmosphere is all important, but useless if it plays like this

plus its not saving any options and it even ignores my ini, so editing is just useless. and I changed the read-only...

dissapointment all the way

--------------------------------------------------
everyone who finds a spelling error can keep it and use it as a base for his own errors
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 11:19.

--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl

58. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 11:09 Riker

Nope. Modifying them has no effect for many. Somehow it all gets reset and none of any settings changes,key bindings, whatever get saved when you leave and restart.

They shipped the demo with the ini files as read-only.

57. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 10:58 /FÂ\ SLI

"The community as already fixed most if not all of the mentioned issues with simple ini editing."

Nope. Modifying them has no effect for many. Somehow it all gets reset and none of any settings changes,key bindings, whatever get saved when you leave and restart.

56. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 10:32 Destria

Just a word about the locational damage. One of the devs posted on the ION boards saying that there *is* locational damage (headshots at the very least anyway), though that they might need to look at the damage the pistol does in that respect. He did say that you should be able to headshot quite nicely with the ol' sniper rifle

55. My thoughts on the demo Nov 22, 2003, 10:14 Riker

1. Athlon XP at 2.0 GHz, Radeon 9500 Pro (3.9s), and 256MB of memory. It seemed to run fine at 1024x768 with high-quality in-game settings enabled (with multi-sampling at 1x), but the frame rate could certainly be smoother. I had no problems with crashes or glitches or anything. EDIT: After playing around some, I noticed that resolution has a significant effect on frame rate. At 640x480, it was very smooth (settings maxed), and at 1600x1200, it was very choppy. Also, multi-sampling doesn't seem to have a big performance hit (with my ATI card, anyways), but it introduces graphical glitches everywhere unfortunately.

2. Graphically and artistically, this doesn't look like a Deus Ex game. It looks nice, though; particularly the real-time lighting and shaders. Probably my biggest problem in the graphical department is that models all look as though their legs are too short. It looks really lame. As an aside, I had to tweak the brightness settings cuz of my darker monitor, but I'm grateful to Ion for allowing gamma, brightness, and contrast adjustments in-game.

3. The demo really wasn't as long as it should have been, or as long as I was expecting it to be (only 2 fairly small maps are included). Took me about 30 mins to complete, just because I like to be completely thorough. I didn't get to experience much choice/variety in my gameplay, and there wasn't much interesting content in the demo at all. You start the demo without any context for where you are or what you're supposed to do, so it feels very awkward.

4. The interface isn't as visually intrusive as I feared it would be, but I'm ticked off that it is entirely console-centric. You can't even drag-and-drop in your inventory with your mouse, and without that ability, inventory management is unnecessarily inconvenient. If they had stuck with DX1-style inventory management and interface (or at least let us customize or alter the interface), I wouldn't have any complaints at all.

5. Enemies took way too many bullets to take down, and apparently you can't target specific body parts (hopefully this is a demo bug). From the limited amount of combat in this demo, I'd be inclined to say that DX1's combat is superior.

6. Random stuff: Really liked the version of the Deus Ex theme at the main menu. Also, from a quick glance at the credits, it would appear that Tom Hall's (Walton Simons from DX1) voice in the DX2 intro cinematic is NOT Walton Simons. Kind of goofy, since all DX1 fans are bound to recall Simons when they hear that voice. Oh yeah, and the Thief III trailer was crap.

Overall, I can't judge a whole lot from the demo. But due to the fairly positive previews and my great love for the Deus Ex universe that Ion created a few years ago, I'll most likely be buying the game.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 11:13.

54. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 10:05 cia

i wouldnt say it will be a flop, but it's obvious console influence will have a deleterious effect on sales.

even with it's negative console influence, it should sell well. pure toilet filth like myst can sell, so can this.

53. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 09:57 FrenchBread

'Invisible War for PC will be a giant flop'

lol.
I assume either you're not a betting man, or you're completely broke with predictions like that!

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo