Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

92. I'm a sad panda...:( Nov 22, 2003, 13:51 Robert Martens

I have to say, I agree with the (negative) comments posted thusfar.

But I think people are being too critical of console gamers; I own a number of the things, and play the games on a regular basis. Personally, I think console gamers are JUST as discriminating as PC dudes, with standards just as high, if not higher. I mean, hell, if there's a problem with a console game, it's not like you can just apply a patch...

I can't blame the demo sucking on the mere existence of the XBox--as far as I'm concerned, it falls squarely on the developers. Sorta like saying Episode I sucked because of Jar Jar Binks; sure, he's annoying, but he's hardly the biggest reason for the movie's less-than-stellar quality.

"You can't tell the plumber your sh*t doesn't stink." - Bob Martens (my father)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: 1 GHz: Game runs great! Nov 22, 2003, 13:46 Ray Marden

Well, I think it really boils down to three main issues:

1. With all the processing effects, bandwidth is in great demand and even shorter supply.

2. The bizarre (NOLF-life) mouse input makes the actual performance seem worse than it is.

3. Performance is all relative. People with lower end systems think a game that runs at 30FPS is great whereas I expect to either, on the low end, hit 60FPS or, on the high end, hit my monitor's refresh rate. Likewise, 1280x1024 is my current "ideal" resolution for my 22" monitor, but I hold 1024x768 as the bare minimum. Do not get me started on those sad, sad souls that still think 16-bit color is ok.

Having even more faults with Deus Ex Invisible War,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, m

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

90. Re: laggzor Nov 22, 2003, 13:32 S_DOG34

Drug's are bad um'k Panick

holy hell...is that OTN and CNB G_man from r6? Man, those were the days.

89. Re: 1 GHz: Game runs great! Nov 22, 2003, 13:28 wasrad

It's like the screen is always there between you and the world. I'm finding it hard to enter the world and become part of it.

My thougts exactly. It is really ruining it for me, big time. I jsut want it to go the hell away.

88. Re: laggzor Nov 22, 2003, 13:22 G_mann

"Now they have ruined the sequel by catering to the Xbox users"

Drug's are bad um'k Panick

If I can't become part of the game

You based games on if you can get be a part of it or not?

LOL
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 13:31.

87. Re: 1 GHz: Game runs great! Nov 22, 2003, 13:19 Christoph

I don't think it has much do with the video card. Because my roomate has an NVidia card, and I have an ATI. It's running like crap on both.

I don't mind the interface.....it's quite intuitive actually. Just use the the mouse wheel to select the item you want. What I don't like is having to use the keyboard for some commands, like selecting menu items in the hacking interface. That's just gay.

86. 1 GHz: Game runs great! Nov 22, 2003, 13:10 Ratty

I can't believe it. I didn't expect to be able to run it at all, but here I am at 1280 x 1024 with everything cranked up and it's running great for me!

PIII 1 GHz
256 MB RDRAM
GeForce Ti4600

I think it must be way more dependent on the video card than on the CPU. Ti4600 can be had for as little as $50 on eBay.

So far, I'm not enjoying the demo, for a variety of reasons. Yeah, I'm hating the circular interface, even with opacity turned all the way down. It's not exactly "obtrusive." It's not like it blocks your view or anything like that. It's like the screen is always there between you and the world. I'm finding it hard to enter the world and become part of it. Playing the game feels like trying to drive a car from the back seat. Or, to make a more subtle distinction, like looking out of someone else's eyes rather than your own. But some of that could be the motion, which is ... different. I'm going to be playing it a lot more and try to see if I can get used to it and forget it.

A lot of other stuff people have complained about don't bother me. I haven't used weapons enough to comment on the unified ammo and no reload. Since I'm a stealth player I imagine I won't miss it. The graphics seem great to me, but I don't play games for the graphics so what do I know? I don't mind the multitool popping out automatically to unlock doors or some of the other simplifications. They're nice actually, whether or not they were done for the XBox. I mean, in the original game, you'd have to select your multitool or lockpick or whatever, then apply it to whatever you were fiddling with. I like that I don't have to care. A right click just does everything.

Everything in the demo is so damned cramped. It's very uncomfortable, like the environment is too busy. I don't like it. Yeah, I know, no huge levels, but I hope the maps in the full game are more spacious.

I guess my biggest issue is the interface. And it's a show stopper for me. If I can't become part of the game, there's no point buying the full version. But I haven't given up yet.

Lord, though, I hope Thief III isn't done this way.

On edit: I now see that many of the interface features can be tweaked in the cfg file. I'm going to give that a try.
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 14:11.

85. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 13:10 Enahs

Why the hell would someone give that system away? Was it a relative or something? Or did you win a contest?
A buddy of Mine that I play Wolf:ET with all the time (I should mention that I just LOVE THAT GAME!!!!) Has been trying to get me to play Halo with him since it came out. I was never interested. He put a team together for the Halo CPL this winter in Dallas. One of his team-mate had to back out, so he begged me to take his place, and said he would pay for the ticket and everything for me to/at CPL. I said I would, but my system runs TOO bad to play Halo, I can not even maintain 20fps in it! and he was like crap! (I filtered it for this board :) Well, the next morning he calls me and says meet half-way between us, and here is this kick ass new system, we got a match tonight at 5,now are you willing to play Halo with us?...well...DUH I AM!

So yes I will be off to the CPL this December, his team is one of the top picks to win...just hope I can learn the game and levels well enough in-time not to let them down...but it is still A free computer and vacation! Got the tickets reserved yesterday evening. We are still not sure If I will have to play “as” the missing team-mate, or If I can get everything transferred over to my name…..Either way I do not care, I am not paying for nothing, and getting all kinds of good stuff. It is a schweet deal!

So I have been playing HALO MP like it was air, and I needed it to breath/live.

I'm happy, He's happy (for now)...what more do you need?

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

84. laggzor Nov 22, 2003, 13:10 Panick

P4 @ 3.45 Ghz w/Hyper Threading
1024 of pc3500 Memory
Nvidia GeforceFX5900Ultra @ 511/932, w/256MB memory.
40 gig Serial ATA 10,000RPM
SB Audigy 2

The latest drivers on everything.

I tried the game at 1024x768 w/ 4xAA, 8xAF I got some wild fps. Between 10-20 in the "large" areas, and 90-100 in small rooms.

The worst thing is with the mouse, it lags like if I would have 500 ping an a online game. I turn, and it reacts only after a while.

Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time. Now they have ruined the sequel by catering to the Xbox users.

83. What Ilike about DE:IW demo... Nov 22, 2003, 13:05 wasrad

The atmosphere is there. I feel like im somewhere else. While the level design reminds me of what I think Macross would be like inside the SDF-1, I still feel it. Needs more space. I think they maye have done this for lighting engine purposes though.

The holo-jukebox is neat. I want one. I also like the music it plays. Anyone know the name of the actual singer they used?

I really like the art style. They seem to, instead of going for an ultra-photorealistic looking world, have made their own style. I just love the way people look.

"Templar Temple, 2072 **** back....**** run" hhhm.....interesting....

It runs fine on my system but then Im one of those people who, so long as I have 25-30 fps, Im happy.

There are some other things I know Im missing, Ill probaly post later about them.

All in all, much kudos to the art team but the gameplay mechanics team needs to be fired ASAP and banned from ever working on any kind of game EVER.

"In case of fire, the nearest exit is over there"

HAHAHAHA

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 13:10.

82. Re: crap Nov 22, 2003, 13:04 Azraelot

As for myself, Barton 2500+, 1 gig 2700 RAM, geforce ti4400. And it's absolute ass. Hell, the Doom alpha ran better than this, and looked a LOT nicer while doing so.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

81. radeon 9800 pro drivers isue Nov 22, 2003, 13:03 El-chupacabra

1st i hardly could move the player in the demo, change drivers to my radeon 9800pro and i can play it whit out lag and shit, it works like a clock now

80. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:57 Bunko

I heard your story the other day, Enahs, about how you drive to hell and back to get the system. Why the hell would someone give that system away? Was it a relative or something? Or did you win a contest?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

79. Re: crap Nov 22, 2003, 12:56 Christoph

My specs -

P4 3Ghz
512 DDR400
ATI 9800 PRO

And of course the game runs like shit, even with everything turned down/off at 640x480. This demo is a complete fuck-up. Unless I hear good reviews for the final game, I'll be saving my money for something else.

78. Isn't it funny... Nov 22, 2003, 12:51 Tim1_2

How some game companies get there start by making a great PC game, and then forsake the PC crowd to make games for consoles, sticking us with console ports?

One of the only companies I can think of that HASN'T done this is Valve (although I'm sure X-Box Counter-Strike didn't speed up the dev process for Half-life 2).

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: NHL 2004, Day of Defeat

Currently playing: DayZ

77. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:49 Enahs

I'm not saying don't complain, just don't complain like bitches, post useful information. Can we do that, kids?

Do not know if you where talking to me, but I responded to someone that was involved in a thread the other day, where I mentioned my new system.

P4 3.2 w/Hyper Threading
1 Gig of pc4000 Memory
Nvidia GeforceFX5900Ultra w/256MB memory.
200 gig Serial ATA 7200RPM HardDirve (btw, this should only affect loading time, not FPS, unless you have like 128mb memory)

I also would like to mention, again, that I got this system for FREE!!!!!!!!!!! (wouldn’t you be freakin' excited and happy if you got this for free!?!!)
WOOT!

Latest Drivers, for EVERYTHING....of course...and it still runs like CRAP with everything turned all the way down/off!
Something is obviously up with this wide range of performance variables people are having....I vote botched game code, either in full or just demo, and am willing to give it another go.

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

76. Isn't it funny... Nov 22, 2003, 12:48 Tim1_2

scroll down 2 posts to read my real post...yet ANOTHER double post by me

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: NHL 2004, Day of Defeat
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 12:52.

Currently playing: DayZ

75. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:43 4D-Boxing

Many of us saw this coming like the comments on the following link shows.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=45445&boardid=1&id=&view=flatnew&start=60

Well the words, travesty, fiasco tragedy all apply here! All i can say is that i'm at a lost for words! Mech,R6, NFS, now Deus, like one guy said don't release this on the PC we do not need stuff like this! I know they will release it anyways and cry about the sales ,so be it! Modders should get together and start making games cause in the past few years mods have been better than alot of releases.

Anyways Just like UBI, EA, MS i will not buy their games anymore Cause once they start going down that road it never gets better(NFS,MECH, R6 ect...) sad sad day for pc gaming!

LAst post in here take care peeps!

74. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:33 Nonicknameforme

They released a horiable level to demo the game on, its too freaking linear. I'm not impressed with the demo.

That being said, I do see alot of potential.

Edit: It looks like there are three paths in DX:IW for every goal instead of the two in DX: Buy, Fight, Sneak. They are just a bit more obvious to me now, than the paths in DX were originaly.

I'm right on the cusp of deciding on if I am going to get the game or not. If I do I need a new mobo and RAM so maby I'll get lucky and they will release a demo update with a more open ended level.
All you bitching about slow performance then giving useless stats on your computer, backing up your claim. Are idiots. You probably have PC2100 RAM and 5200rpm hard drives. At least post some kind of in depth spec if your going to bitch about preformance. For instance my preformance isnt the best, but I have slow ass RAM so there ya go.

I'm not saying don't complain, just don't complain like bitches, post useful information. Can we do that, kids?

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 12:36.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

73. Re: No subject Nov 22, 2003, 12:32 Enahs

(The game runs my fine on my computer @ 800x600 with details maxed and I have a three year old rig w/ Geforce3 but other people are having problems)

Soo sad
And I got this new free top o'line computer, and I can not get it to run at a steady 20fpst at 640x480 with everything turned down.

Something is up here, maybe they accidentally released old code heh...it is just so odd....some people with 9800's say it runs fine, some say it runs horrible.....who knows...bloody thing

_____
Enahs

- W. C. Fields

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo