Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

152. Re: Worst game I've seen since ULTRAMAN Nov 22, 2003, 22:49 wasrad

uhm....yeah.

I just wanna know where this four year old goes to school at so when I HAVE(the irony) kids I can send them there.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 22:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

151. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:48 NeOCidE

Your not kidding m8!!!!! This is going to cost their company BIG TIME!!!!! They shouldn't have botherd creating this game! Honestly!!

150. YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:47 wasrad

...looking at the petition, if everyone who has signed it doesnt buy it, thats at least $22,000 lost...

149. Re: Worst game I've seen since ULTRAMAN Nov 22, 2003, 22:45 S_DOG34

Please sign this petition. They can't be allowed to release this liquid steamy shite!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?DXIWDemo&1

I can't believe anyone would sign that piece of garbage. How is Ion Storm supposed to take the petition seriously if it was written by a four year old? That thing is extremely poorly written.

148. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:45 WaltC

"Alright I have a question: what game are you comparing DXIW to when you say the graphics suck? Doom 3? Half-Life 2? Some other game that is a long ways off? The graphics certainly look better than Call of Duty or Halo, the two most recent shooters to come out on the PC. I can understand disliking some of the design decisions but saying the graphics are horrible just doesn't make any sense to me. Also try tweaking .ini (I know, I know you shouldn't have to) for one of my friends it vastly improved the image quality, perhaps it will do the same for you."

When I say they are "awful" I'm talking about about *after* I tweaked the .ini (as much as it responds to such tweaks) for trilinear filtering, 32-bit color and textures, and after enabling every option there that I could find. I couldn't be sure which commands, if any, were actually being processed by the game engine simply through visual feedback.

Anyway, I'm talking about some of the most "washed-out" color intensity I've seen in a long time. As soon as I started bumping up gamma and contrast--by just a single notch!--I started getting color bleeds on several screens. To provide an example, do you recall when "scaling" was the big thing in 2d games? Developers would take a very low-res image in 2d and use the graphic's hardware to scale the image up to higher resolutions. That's what this game reminds me of--even at 1280x1024 the wall textures in the training basement at the start of the demo hardly look better at all--they've got a very rough, pixelated look that smacks of scaling--probably in the textures being used. I guess what I'm complaining about is the *low-res* textures it's so obvious the demo is using everywhere. The green mat of the pool table is dull and washed out beyond belief. The basic low-res, xBox-ish character is prevalent through the game. The models indicate clearly that attention was paid to reduce their polygon count--another concession to the xBox environment. These things *could have been fixed* for the PC version, but were ignored as if they didn't matter. I'll conclude by saying the demo doesn't compare graphically with the other games I'm running at the moment--of which Call of Duty is one of several (Gothic II being another, ToEE yet another.)

I found your question about HL2 and D3 to be nothing short of amazing, really. No, I wasn't even thinking about comparing the low-res, low-polygon graphics used in this demo to either of what I've seen of those games. I find it remarkable that anyone would, frankly...:)

It's certainly true that everyone's graphical taste is subjective, no question. But IMO the demo's graphics are way below current par for the PC, and not even comparable to the upcoming titles you've mentioned. So much *could have been done.* My disappointment is in the fact that it wasn't.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

147. Re: Worst game I've seen since ULTRAMAN Nov 22, 2003, 22:44 NeOCidE

146. Re: Worst game I've seen since ULTRAMAN Nov 22, 2003, 22:42 wasrad

Already did.

145. Worst game I've seen since ULTRAMAN Nov 22, 2003, 22:39 NeOCidE

Please sign this petition. They can't be allowed to release this liquid steamy shite!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?DXIWDemo&1

144. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:33 wasrad

I think that, as far as artwork goes, this ga... act of betrayal is awsome.

Thats about it though.

143. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:20 Scottish Martial Arts

Alright I have a question: what game are you comparing DXIW to when you say the graphics suck? Doom 3? Half-Life 2? Some other game that is a long ways off? The graphics certainly look better than Call of Duty or Halo, the two most recent shooters to come out on the PC. I can understand disliking some of the design decisions but saying the graphics are horrible just doesn't make any sense to me. Also try tweaking .ini (I know, I know you shouldn't have to) for one of my friends it vastly improved the image quality, perhaps it will do the same for you.

I'll rejoin this "discussion" tomorrow, off to see KMFDM- AND THE KIDS JUST LOVE IT!
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 22:21.

142. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Dude, why dont you just admidt they really fucked up on this one. Are you part of Edios/Ion Storm's PR department or something

The game sucks, has been consolized and all of the original's fans have pretty much been told to go fuck themselves.

Get over it and move on.

I agree with you that certain design decisions were not for the better, the new hacking interface for example. Even so, the game hardly sucks and at the very least is one of the best games to come out this year. I tend to think the full game will be even better than the original but that remains to be seen. At the very least Invisible War will do some things better and somethings worse than the original.

141. No subject Nov 22, 2003, 22:14 WaltC

After slogging through half-a-dozen download sites to snag this demo--finally finding a decent 400K/sec download link--I really have to say I am absolutely numb after installing it and "running" it. This isn't "Deus Ex 2," this is "Deus Ex is Through." It probably ranks among the worst, most disappointing demos I've ever installed--for a title that had so much to live up to, that is.

The graphics, in a word, stink--positively stink--in my opinion. The "GUI", and I'm being charitable in calling it that, reminds me of a bunch of leggo blocks that don't quite fit together properly but have been forced into line. Seriously, I haven't seen this kind of cheesy GUI in several years on the PC, and I can think of several shareware titles that do it a lot better. I was doing these kinds of loading screens and GUI hotspot screens in AmigaVision on the Amiga 10-12 years ago, and doing them much better, IMO. It's for sure the original Deus Ex beats it to pieces in every category. In my opinion.

But then the original game was not designed for xBox--and man, does it show. Go through the .ini files in the demo and there are tons and tons of xBox-specific commands that either continue working in the PC version in cryptic fashion, or else are totally a waste of space. Ah, if only I knew which parameters labeled "xBox" were actually relevant to this demo I could delete them all and then try and make sense of the rest--that is, of course, assuming I had the patience and the time. Which I don't.

If I had known the game is seemingly a direct port of an xBox title to the PC, with little to no thought for the PC environment except for making the demo seem to run, after a fashion, I'd never have wasted the time to download it. If this is an example of xBox graphics--no wonder M$ has switched supplier horses in mid stream. This thing is a dog, IMO. I would be embarrassed to put my name on something like this.

I can believe it represents an xBox game called "Deus Ex 2" quite easily, but what I absolutely cannot believe is that this represents the sequel to the PC game called "Deus Ex," released a couple of years ago. There's just no way that *this demo* represents that. What a shame.

I don't think I'm being unfair, because an official game demo is supposed to inspire people who play it to go out and buy the game it represents. They are supposed to "like" such a demo enough to eagerly rush out and buy the game when it ships. What on earth was the publisher thinking by releasing this monstrosity? If it truly represents the state of the game, "Deus Ex 2" is definitely through before it ships.

I'm really beginning to question the sanity of some game developers/publishers of late. Apparently, somebody thinks the way to people's gaming purses is to produce the most rotten, stinkiest demos imaginable and throw them up on the Internet for consumption by the mindless hordes who will rush out and buy rotten games just because of the fact that a game is named after a game that was *truly good* in its day. It's insane, it really is.

There've been a lot of accurate, justifiable complaints listed so far in this thread about this demo, and so I'm not going to repeat any of them. I'll just say I agree with all of them.

It's sad to see the art of computer game creation becoming so infantile and oh-so-forgettable. I'll end with this comment to the developers of this game/demo/whatever-it-is: when developing games for hardware platforms like the "PC" and the "xBox", which are not only much different in terms of hardware and software resources, but are very, very different insofar as the *target markets* for these platforms are concerned, it *pays* to keep these differences in mind if you are going to release versions of the same game into both markets. It definitely doesn't pay to use the "xBox bar" when designing a game for the PC. If the actual game is anything like this demo I'm quite sure that lesson will come home to roost in a forceful manner fairly soon.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

140. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 21:40 Acleacius

I had that too, then I was told I needed to down load this
http://dll.softandco.com/dll/download-8/VBRun60.exe.html

Which I did but then I couldnt unzip it correctly and that is where im still stuck, I have gotten everything set execpt the Video Resolution (Cant get this to save yet dam it )

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

139. thoughts Nov 22, 2003, 21:39 Boudreux

I still enjoy playing Deus Ex, and have been waiting for several months till DX:IW was released until upgrading my rig. I played the demo through twice today, and enjoyed it overall. I hated the interface. Felt very complicated and worthless. Even putting away my weapon was a labor. At 800x600, with everything down, it ran completely smooth on my 800 mhz dell with 384mb Ram and Ti4400. Overall, i enjoyed the glimpses at the story, and the possibilites of several solutions to problems.

138. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 21:16 wasrad

The whole mechanics of the game needs tweaking.

Dude, why dont you just admidt they really fucked up on this one. Are you part of Edios/Ion Storm's PR department or something

The game sucks, has been consolized and all of the original's fans have pretty much been told to go fuck themselves.

Get over it and move on.

137. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 21:15 Mad Max RW

Yeah, they say a change is coming but I'll believe it when I see it. And I know all about tweaking the ini files to get stuff working sort of properly. Every gamer shouldn't have to spend time digging through the guts of the game to get it playing right.

They're gonna have to pull somekinda magic rabbit out of their ass to release a playable non-shit PC game in December. I want them to. I really do. The last few years sucked for singleplayer gaming.

136. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 21:06 Scottish Martial Arts

And second, even Deus Ex 1 had locational damage.

And so does IW. Dev posts are indicating that the damage model for headshots with the lower end weapons is currently in need of tweaking, in other words the damage needs to be increased to make head shots more viable.

135. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 20:58 wasrad

uhm, wtf does this mean:

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

:-\

134. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 20:58 Mad Max RW

And gosh, I guess I missed the memo where every FPS game must have locational damage. Maybe it wasn't added so it wouldn't turn into a shoulders/headshot CS fest.

No, no, I'm sure it's just that they don't know what they're doing.

That doesn't make any god damn sense. A CS fest? What the fuck are you talking about. For one, this is singleplayer only. Who cares about CS. And second, even Deus Ex 1 had locational damage. The weakest pistol could drop most badguys with a headshot. Invisible War was entirely designed for Xbox. Everything about it.

By getting rid of skills they made you a pro with every weapons. The only way to "balance" the game was to remove locational damage altogether. Otherwise you can probably beat the full singleplayer in 2 hours. Oh they knew damn well what they were doing. Jumping on the console bandwagon and totally ignoring the PC fanbase that made them who they are today.

133. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 20:50 nimski

Someone made a little tweaker program, it works well. See link.

http://www.deusexzone.info/downloads.php?file_id=451

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo