Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

172. . Nov 23, 2003, 01:05 Bob

Granted this isnt HL2 level disaster

haha, HL2: the standard by which all gaming screw-ups are measured; sad but true.

But if the current state of the game is a result of selling out to MS, you can't really blame them. They (the devs and publishers) are in this to make money first and foremost.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

171. Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 01:05 Icewind

It's a shame that this game (At least, if what I've heard so far is indeed true) turned out to be such a stinker. I haven't downloaded the demo yet, and after reading (most) of these posts I think I'll just grab the Xbox version instead, since it seems that are no obvious differences or "Improvements" in the PC version.

Still, I'd like to throw in my own two cents about this whole location damage thing. I disagree with the previous poster who claims that it isn't always "a good thing" for an FPS to have. I honestly cannot think of a shooter released in the past three years that didn't, at the very least, reward headshots with heavy damage. I find the Counterstrike comment RegularX made amusing, especially since I abhor the game and everyone who plays it. (Oddly enough, for the same reason people are moaning about DXIW, Faulty location damage)

The bottom line here is this: One of the most used techniques I employed in the first Deus Ex was finding a safe, high-altitude spot and picking off MJ12 commandos with sniper rifle head shots. Heck, I fondly remember beating the troops outside the statue of liberty in the first level by walking up behind them in the shadows and just aiming point blank at their head. This isn't just a "Nifty extra" tacked onto FPS games to make them more realistic...this is something that has become expected. Sort of like "Save-anywhere" options and the ability to cycle through weapons with the mouse wheel.

Back in the days when I was blasting pig demons in DOOM and capping mutant cops in Duke Nukem it was unheard of...but technology has, believe it or not, progressed significantly since 1995.

My $10,000 Collection!
(Ten of my games aren't in the IGN database)
http://users.ign.com/collection/Kairaega

170. My god. Nov 23, 2003, 01:05 Serekenen

Just installed the demo, even after being a huge deus ex fan, reading other peoples posts it lowered my expectations of the game but nothing prepared me for just HOW BAD this game is.

Bad performance on a high end system (2.2ghz p4, GFFX 512MB, 2 gig ram etc) and i wouldn't mind if the game LOOKED good. But it looks worse than Max Payne2 by a long shot and that runs smooth as silk. The textures look like they are from Duke3d.. and what the hell is with the loading screens??? It looks like quake running at 640x480!

The interface is a good idea, but it's gone terribly wrong. I agree with everyone else, DX1's was WAY better.
Hacking sucks, fighting is poor... i couldn't even waste my time to play through the entire thing. It just was too damn choppy.

I was going to buy this game until i played this demo.
What the hell happened?

169. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:58 -=StackSmasher=-

Yeah. And not every FPS coming out in 2003 has locational damage. Not of all them need it or benefit from it. Greatly enhances the game? Nah, not always. Depends on the kind of action you're going for. Or maybe getting headshots from a mile away with a shotgun was your thing in Counter-Strike back in the day.

You couldn't be more wrong IMHO. Locational damage is an essential attribute to modern FPS gaming. It's like comparing square wheels to round wheels, once you use it you will never go back to the old way. And, I believe, Ion Storm has stated that Locational damage will be in the full game.

--Registered Linux User #227032
--Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

--
Registered Linux User #227032
Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

168. No subject Nov 23, 2003, 00:51 Acleacius

Dont think anyone is suggesting taking money out of IS pocket by petition really. Thats not what really matters here its more that IS would lose sales numbers if this isnt addressed. In the last 24 hours DEIW has been SERIOUSLY deflated, not necessarly because it is or is going to be a bad game but because everyone is afraid now that a slopply rushed out the door demo hit the streets.
Granted this isnt HL2 level disaster. Maybe they feel they dont need the PC people anymore, if that is true why spend so much time and PR directed at the PC market. This must be affecting thier decisions.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

167. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:48 amygdala

...not every FPS coming out in 2003 has locational damage. Not of all them need it or benefit from it. Greatly enhances the game? Nah, not always. Depends on the kind of action you're going for.

Locational damage is really sort of assumed these days. HALO has it, and it's out for both the XBOX and PC. But I would argue that it is an essential element of the gameplay for a Sneaker type game. If you can't sneak up behind people and cap them with a well-aimed shot, then why sneak at all? There's no reward for stealth behavior.

I'm not worried about unified ammo, or transparent crates as much as I am about gameplay and feel. It felt claustrophobic and hemmed in. The mouselook was squidgy. And the interface is terrible. I really don't expect to have to remove my hand from my mouse, and the interface asked that I do that again and again.

Try hacking a security terminal and tell me that isn't screwed up.

Try rearranging items in your inventory, which is a hair-pulling exercise.

Why is primary fire left-click while alternate fire is 'F'? (While right mouse does nothing?)

XBOX has little to do with my complaints. I'd be disappointed even if this wasn't an XBOX game.

166. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:36 RegularX

"Lame explanation. The reason every other FPS has locational damage is because it greatly enhances the game. C'mon... this is 2003 for God's sake. If I walk up to somebody in DX:IW and put a burst of 9mm fire into the face and through their brain-pan with my Mako pistol, I expect them to die. Not whip out their own gun and return fire. "

Yeah. And not every FPS coming out in 2003 has locational damage. Not of all them need it or benefit from it. Greatly enhances the game? Nah, not always. Depends on the kind of action you're going for. Or maybe getting headshots from a mile away with a shotgun was your thing in Counter-Strike back in the day.

"Right now, it appears that no matter where I place my shots, it's the same. And that's silly. Why should hits "right between the eyes" have the same effect as a burst into a enemy's re-enforced metal main body armor breastplate? (If they were wearing a helmet with an enclosed face shield, I can understand it.) "

Maybe because it's a game and not every game bases it's action on where you place your shots.

"And, lord, you have no idea how much that "Unified Ammo" concept bugs me. It feels like a Xbox "shortcut" to make the game easier to play."

Strange, I wouldn't even had noticed it from the demo if it weren't for all these people bitching about it. My guess is a lot of people will have the same reaction from the full game too. Ammo? Who the hell cares about the "kid in the candy store" about ammo? It's the guns the matter. Gee, that rocket launcher would be neat if it weren't for this universal ammo thing ???

People who are complaining about performance and compatibility issues, I can sympathize with. It sucks and it's annoying, and it's hard to have faith in buying a game when the demo doesn't have the technical chops.

People bitching that it's using 512x512 textures instead of 1024x1024, or that the models are 2500 polys instead of 4000, or this whole "the XBox sucks" vein, I don't buy it. Obviously ignoring what was great in the original and what might very well be alive in this game.

165. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 00:26 RegularX

"The basic low-res, xBox-ish character is prevalent through the game. The models indicate clearly that attention was paid to reduce their polygon count--another concession to the xBox environment. These things *could have been fixed* for the PC version, but were ignored as if they didn't matter. I'll conclude by saying the demo doesn't compare graphically with the other games I'm running at the moment--of which Call of Duty is one of several"

All of these, I think comparable to UT2003's specs, hardly low poly or low res, and certainly no worse than ToEE. In fact, several improvements have been made over the build release for UT2003, but I guess that's no longer a "modern" engine to your eyes.

Here's the deal, I think. PC gamers are pissed off because their game was "tarnished" by the XBox. Look at the complaints. It's too consolish. It's "only" XBox level graphics. The inventory is too simple. There's no locational damage.

Big freaking whoop. DX1 came out during the latter days of the UT engine, hardly a graphic masterpiece and had more of it's share of interface problems. Didn't hear anybody complaining then. But now, it's all about XBox vs. PC. A lot of backlash here seems to surmount to console hate.

164. Disappointing Nov 23, 2003, 00:16 amygdala

Okay, I just finished playing the demo. And having just played Deus Ex, and given that I'm currently in the middle of HALO, it felt seriously claustrophobic. And dark. And the interface is at best, annoying.

I don't know what to say. The pedigree is impeccable, the screenies look great, the hype is overwhelming... but it stuttered on my 9700 Pro, and was... boring. Hopefully there will be six months of patches, but right now I'm inclined to cancel my pre-order.

In a word: Yikes.

163. You know, I wonder... Nov 22, 2003, 23:52 wasrad

This game took alot of people to make. Most of, if not all of these people had to be fans of the original in some form. I wonder how much internal drama there was inside Ion Storm. People HAD to say SOMETHING. I wonder if anyone quit because of the design decisions. Seriously. Did they all seriously think the Deus Ex fans would take this shit seriously? Did they really think that we would like this game when they were spending hours hacking out all of the things that made Deus Ex, Deus Ex?

Maybe when Warren showed them the shiney check from M$ it shut them all up or something?

Is Warren Spector even the real Warren Spector, the Warren Spector that brough us so many wonderful games?

What in the FUCK is going on here?

"And [wasrad] is like...doubleyew tee eff, mate"

162. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 23:44 -=StackSmasher=-

And, lord, you have no idea how much that "Unified Ammo" concept bugs me. It feels like a Xbox "shortcut" to make the game easier to play. In DX1, creeping around and looking for another clip of Traq Darts or one more Scramble Grenade was always an important part of the game. The part in DX1 where you managed to break into the MJ12/UNATCO armory and stock up on all the ammo you could carry felt like "a kid in a candy store". Now, with a "one-size-fits-all" ammo source, you don't have to worry about it anymore!

I thought so at first too. What would make more sense imho would be for you to carry a reserve of nanites. You would use this finite supply of nanites to construct weapons, requisite munitions, body armor, etc on demand.

You would have to have an appropriate nano-tech skill to construct / perform any given operation. So, for instance, if you are spec'd in covert ops and you need an accoustic dampener or a silenced pistol, you simply access the requisite bio-mod and use a portion of your nanites to construct it on the fly. When you are done, you deconstruct and send unused nanites back to your inventory. Same goes for healing, biological enhancements, etc. Your nanite usage would become more efficient at higher skill levels also. So that you are always managing a finite resource and are custom tailoring it's usage/efficiency to your style.

--Registered Linux User #227032
--Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

--
Registered Linux User #227032
Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

161. How many sales? Nov 22, 2003, 23:10 S_DOG34

Btw, does anyone know how well the first one sold on the console systems? It just seems to me that even in it's craptacular console state, it is still not really a console game. A stealth rpg/fps game doesn't really appeal to the console masses.

160. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 23:02 Riker

I also wish that people would learn to proof-read and spell check their petitions. Goes a long way towards credibility. But even if there are such errors in this petition, Eidos and Ion Storm should take note that there are over 500 signatures on it in what... about 24 hours?

159. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 23:01 S_DOG34

I didnt say who lost it, I just said thats what was lost in a general sense, no matter where it goes.

True, but your petition and beef is with IS, not with retailers, distributors, etc. You will take money out of IS hands (maybe permanently depending on how strongly you feel) but you won't stop paying the above mentioned people because you will keep buying games. My point was, that you are not taking $40/game away from IS and that, as a result, won't be hurting them financially.

158. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:59 Mad Max RW

What games are you comparing it to when you say it's one of the best this year? Among a heaping pile of shit it might be the nicest looking turd. There's so much stuff better than this from 2003 it's not even funny.

I have another major complaint with the demo. AI sucks. Really sucks. I'm sure other people noticed it, but most haven't because of the terrible framerate or quit in the first 5 minutes. Guys running into walls like morons, not shooting back half the time on any difficulty, and other half assed bullshit. One part that got me laughing was sitting a few feet above the street guard shooting at him while he didn't do jack shit. One thing I do like is the ability to beat the demo without killing anybody. Combat flat out sucks so why waste my time.

157. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:58 NeOCidE

Well this game is so poor, it's not even worth downloading and installing. I can imagine a fat 2.5 gig install of freshly squeezed plop

156. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:56 wasrad

I didnt say who lost it, I just said thats what was lost in a general sense, no matter where it goes.

155. Re: OMG! Nov 22, 2003, 22:54 Xoxotl

And gosh, I guess I missed the memo where every FPS game must have locational damage. Maybe it wasn't added so it wouldn't turn into a shoulders/head shot CS fest.

Lame explanation. The reason every other FPS has locational damage is because it greatly enhances the game. C'mon... this is 2003 for God's sake. If I walk up to somebody in DX:IW and put a burst of 9mm fire into the face and through their brain-pan with my Mako pistol, I expect them to die. Not whip out their own gun and return fire.

Right now, it appears that no matter where I place my shots, it's the same. And that's silly. Why should hits "right between the eyes" have the same effect as a burst into a enemy's re-enforced metal main body armor breastplate? (If they were wearing a helmet with an enclosed face shield, I can understand it.)

And, lord, you have no idea how much that "Unified Ammo" concept bugs me. It feels like a Xbox "shortcut" to make the game easier to play. In DX1, creeping around and looking for another clip of Traq Darts or one more Scramble Grenade was always an important part of the game. The part in DX1 where you managed to break into the MJ12/UNATCO armory and stock up on all the ammo you could carry felt like "a kid in a candy store". Now, with a "one-size-fits-all" ammo source, you don't have to worry about it anymore!

Again, I realize that this is supposed to be The Future, but it just seems so sloppy. Hell, it's almost 2004 and makers of personal electronics can't standardize on a battery size, much less anything else. It seems silly that after the post-apocalyptic "Collapse", all the major gun manufacturers will agree on some sort of super nano-ammo for their weapons.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

154. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:53 NeOCidE

I agree... but Hell some of the comments on there are f'ing funny!!!! So at least something good has come out of this.

153. Re: YOu know... Nov 22, 2003, 22:51 S_DOG34

...looking at the petition, if everyone who has signed it doesnt buy it, thats at least $22,000 lost...

They don't make $40 per sale. That is the retail price. Even if they did lose that much per sale, 550 is a drop in the bucket. Signing the petition might make you feel good, but they won't lose much money over it.

I thought the demo sucked btw...I just think that the petition is laugably amateurish.

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo