Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

192. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 09:05 G_mann

look at all the whinning.

I got a website for you whinners

www.cheese.com.

Chesse goes great with whine.

And my favorite line has to be:

"it been dumbed down for the console.

But yet they fail to explain how.

And for the ones who are flamming Warren Spector one Question:

Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today?

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 09:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

191. No subject Nov 23, 2003, 08:42 Denomoulous

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present the evidence for your consideration before judgment is given.

Please take the following exhibits into your consideration :-

a) One naked Warren Spector.

b) One freshly screwed pooch

I think, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that when you take all this into consideration when your deliberating on your judgement that you can only come to the conclusion that a pooch has indeed been screwed.

190. It's actually pretty good Nov 23, 2003, 08:27 Marauder

Hold up guys!

Okay I've just played the demo. At first I thought "OMG!" but then I decided to overlook the demo's shortcomings and get down to play the game.

This is Deus Ex. The NEW Deus Ex. The Deus Ex that has been dumbed down for the masses (= XBox players) and yet still retaining the depth of the original. The graphics are gorgeous. I LOVE the physics and lighting engine. I could spend all day throwing barrels on roofs and watch them roll off.

And yes, multiple solutions. You can choose which way you want to complete the demo's quest... unfortunately sneaking is not one of them.

Anyways as for the user interface... this demo has been ported from the X-Box. It's very very obvious. Take that into account when playing it.

M

189. Re: hahaha Nov 23, 2003, 08:13 Panick

Man, if almost everyone says the game sucks....then maybe it really...sucks? And it not just this forum (believe me, we bitch about alot in here heheheh ) People all over the internet simply hate this demo. If you like it, fine, but dont try to shove this game down the throats on us who dont.

*Wants to fire ze missiles at Ion Storm...*

*but I'm le tired...*

188. hahaha Nov 23, 2003, 07:04 Yakumo

just read your OWN feature list eidos for the orriginal game,

then take a good look at what you've provided in 'deus xbox' (certainly from the demo pov)

http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/info.html?gmid=109

187. Tweak your demo Nov 23, 2003, 04:31 Camaro76

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880

Good thread there on tweaking.

Too bad I uninstalled the demo already. If I wanted an Xbox game I would have bought an Xbox. I agree with many of the previous criticisms. No sale. 'nuff said.

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy Blue is a Blue rolling around in a pile of cash" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

186. Re: I think Nov 23, 2003, 02:33 JediLuke

.I have a very hard time believing this "all-in-one" nanotech excuse.

Seriously. I've heard some really crazy rationalizations of some of the wacky decisions. I can't believe that people try to use the realism excuse for this.

~Steve

185. Re: I think Nov 23, 2003, 02:25 Ray Marden

A bit off-topic (wait, does that make it on topic? :o), but...

...I have a very hard time believing this "all-in-one" nanotech excuse. I mean, if the 'lil bugger can instantly go from being a bullet to becoming flame, why would we even bother fighting with bullets or flame? Heck, just make the one nanobot assimilate the body that I shoot it toward or have it programmed to go after.

The whole nanotech thing takes some suspension of belief, but at least having them be quite limited and different in their uses made them seem more believable than the system in the current game.

Having just played the first bits of KotOR - liking it quite a bit,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.}

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

184. Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 02:21 RegularX

"But according to you (and everyone else) there aren't head shots in the game"

Locational damage and head shots can be different things, as UT and DX1 showed. The way head shots are calculated generally from the 4xx builds of the Unreal engine are a lot different than what someone would consider "locational damage", and only pertain to certain weapons and damage, like sniper damage. IOW, nobody said there weren't head shots.

"I've never seen anyone actually contradict themselves in a reply and yet act as if they proved their point."

Well, I've seen lots of people try to make points without knowing all the facts. Don't feel bad, it's quite common.

"Don't ever join your school's debate club. Very bad form."

Undefeated actually. But it was a small school.

183. Re: I think Nov 23, 2003, 02:18 JediLuke

Game is cool though and the physics are awesome.

Except for the bodies spasming wildly if you shoot them when they're down. And the way you see them stretched out like manequinns if you pick them up. Or that you can somehow throw them 50 feet in the air and then juggle them out of sight with a gun. Or the way they rarely bend naturally when hit things. Or that they often clip through objects.

Man, I really wonder what happened at IS. One of the devs posted on the forum their defending some of their decisions and I just don't understand how they can't see the flaws in their logic.

This guy Krypt doesn't see how combat has been dumbed down and claims adding a bunch of biomods or something makes it complex. Man... add all the biomods you want, if you dumb down the basic system, it won't help. Reloading and ammo collection/conservation are both tactical elements to combat. If they still wanted combat to be an option they shouldn't have removed that. Who cares if I can play the game 5 ways if none of them are fun and they all feel broken? Specialized ammo was also a way of rewarding the player. These seem like some pretty obvious design principles. And shit, it just made more sense than having my electrical stun prod use the same ammo as my flame thrower and shotgun. And why does the prod model look worse than the one from DX1?

Krypt said something like "20 different kinds of ammo and being able to lean didn't make DX good." Are these pre-programmed responses? I can't imagine thought went into that. Yea, the ability to use mouselook isn't what made DX good either, but should that be removed? Seriously, what the fuck are they thinking? How can people buy these responses?

~Steve

182. Re: I think Nov 23, 2003, 02:13 Ray Marden

After playing a few more times, I think the game is still in there, but they obviously pushed a Xbox port onto the PC; I do question the emphasis of the engine over the gameplay; the overall polish is missing; and that (console) interface is quite, quite terrible.

For the average player that is forced to play at 640x480, would they not just want to purchase the Xbox version instead?

Awaiting reply from the Ion Storm crew :|,
RAy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

181. I think Nov 23, 2003, 02:04 WarPig

I think this game kicks teh ass eXpecially the 'physics' I also like how the weapons got a lot of thump, and the way the bodies fly when you use a grenade. But I wish it ran better on my computer 1ghz athlon GF3 512 ram and also I think the ai pathfinding needs work, if you watch the characters with the see through wall vision you'll see them doing weird things, but over all it seems really good. And I think the interface and controls are ok, the more limited inventory space requires you to be more selective. Well I had played through all of the first Deus Ex and it was really cool, maybe i'll get this game if they got it for cheap. But i wish it ran better so that it was more responsive in combat, the graphic options dont seem to have much effect except for the resolution which i got to have set at 640 480 and I have that bloom and multisampling set to off. Game is cool though and the physics are awesome.

180. Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 01:54 Icewind

There's nothing in the demo to suggest that a sniper rifle wouldn't have head shots in the game, now is there?

But according to you (and everyone else) there aren't head shots in the game, not to mention you claim Deus Ex 2 does not need them.

Wow, I've never seen anyone actually contradict themselves in a reply and yet act as if they proved their point.

Don't ever join your school's debate club. Very bad form.

My $10,000 Collection!
(Ten of my games aren't in the IGN database)
http://users.ign.com/collection/Kairaega

179. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:47 wasrad

hm, reg...I think its obvious that you dont understand gaming concepts enough to understand why people spend $1400 on gaming equipment as opposed to $200-300.

Thats okay though, ignorance is bliss for you, apparantly.

178. Deus Ex Demo Nov 23, 2003, 01:39 Trinitrotoluene

What the hell have they done to multi-tools? Is this Deus Ex 2 or Harry Potter???? It seriously looks like some kind of magic wand spell on a doorknob/keypad.

I'm running on a low end 2 year old GF3 Ti200, but I got a somewhat decent framerate on 800x600 after setting lighting and shadow quality to low (I didn't really notice the lighting quality difference, but shadow on low = no shadow )

The 'hacking' interface has been utterly abolished. At least they showed some scrolling characters in the original..

Overall, I am now far less excited for the final release. I think the game (if the release is the same stuff as this) will get an OK rating, but probably not GOTY. 'Universal Ammo' is somewhat stupid, and I sincerely miss headshots..... I really love the physics, though. Just pick up a body, look straight up, and throw it somewhere outside. It has really nice rag-doll effects. But other than that.... this game might not have that much going for it. Maybe I just need a better system.

EDIT- Oh yeah. The sound kinda sucked too. When I was talking to Sid Black (or whatever his name is), one of his lines made it sound like we were inside a tin can, and the other was at a whisper..... My sound card is not THAT bad. I hope this is a demo bug.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 12:10.

177. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:23 wipeout

"Those thousands of people playing UT, UT2003, and Quake3 as I type this must just be insane then."

They are playing multiplayer games. DX:IW is a single-player game.

There's a world of difference right there.

176. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:22 -=StackSmasher=-

Those thousands of people playing UT, UT2003, and Quake3 as I type this must just be insane then.

Please enlighten me then. Seems to me, i've been rewarded headshots since Unreal/QuakeII. Not that i'm disputing the insanity charge, mind you...

--stack

--
Registered Linux User #227032
Get Counted!: http://counter.li.org

175. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:20 JediLuke

RegularX: Are you even listening to yourself? You're completely playing apologist here, and making some pretty lame excuses. As others have said, your comments about location based damage were way off the mark.

Maybe because it's a game and not every game bases it's action on where you place your shots.

Tell me you're joking. The game shouldn't base its action on where you place your shots? What the fuck? So we shouldn't have to aim? Aiming is a superfluous feature?

Strange, I wouldn't even had noticed it from the demo if it weren't for all these people bitching about it. My guess is a lot of people will have the same reaction from the full game too. Ammo? Who the hell cares about the "kid in the candy store" about ammo? It's the guns the matter.

Oh gosh. If you didn't notice the ammo, I'd venture that you're not experienced with FPS games. If you are, I dunno man. I heard plenty of people on message boards who weren't aware asking "Why can't I reload." I mean, that's not even worth responding to. Of course it's noticeable, and its dumb. No, it does not ruin the game, it's not the worst thing they could've done, but that doesn't change the fact that the old way was better, and there's no excuse for taking a system that worked and ruining it.

Your "who cares about ammo" is wrong as well. Obviously that's what the developers thought. "Who cares about ammo? Or hacking? Or combat? Or lockpicks?" No, the game isn't centered around any of those things, but these aren't barriers to the game... they are the game! Ammo was a part of DX and it worked. It made sense and it added depth, strategy, and believability to the game. Same thing with lockpicks and multitools. They were two separate items. So what? Why can't we have 2 items? They weren't doing the same thing. One bypassed electronic systems and the other picked locks. The same item does not do both of those things. Opening a door with a multitool feels silly, with an orange beam going to the blocky doorknob. Again, this isn't a major problem in the game, but the thinking that led to these decisions was flawed.

People bitching that it's using 512x512 textures instead of 1024x1024, or that the models are 2500 polys instead of 4000

You act like people found out these numbers and then decided not to like it, and that isn't true. People don't like it because it doesn't look that great. It looks pretty good, and I don't mind the grapgics really, but it also performs poorly, and that's not acceptable for many people.

Face it, I hope this game is good too, but the demo had serious problems, and people are not making them up.

~Steve

EDIT: Hahaha, there you go again man.

Those thousands of people playing UT, UT2003, and Quake3 as I type this must just be insane then.

So now you're justifying things in a Deus Ex game by comparing it to UT and Quake. What? Do you see nothing wrong with this comparison? Do you think before you type?

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 01:22.

174. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 01:17 RegularX

"You couldn't be more wrong IMHO. Locational damage is an essential attribute to modern FPS gaming. It's like comparing square wheels to round wheels, once you use it you will never go back to the old way."

173. Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 01:16 RegularX

"The bottom line here is this: One of the most used techniques I employed in the first Deus Ex was finding a safe, high-altitude spot and picking off MJ12 commandos with sniper rifle head shots. Heck, I fondly remember beating the troops outside the statue of liberty in the first level by walking up behind them in the shadows and just aiming point blank at their head. "

There's nothing in the demo to suggest that a sniper rifle wouldn't have head shots in the game, now is there?

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo