Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

212. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 14:31 wasrad

Ive played it through several times and also I have just tried to take in every texture and piece of art in the demo.

I do believe that, as far as story, art direction and world immersivness goes, they did a wonderful thing here but, being a PC GAMER who has spent a good amount of money and time on mycomputer, I EXPECT to be able to AT LEAST be able to use my mouse with inventory! I smply can not get pass the shit thats on top because, as someone said, its like trying to drive a car from the back seat. It just gets in the way too much for me to be able to appreciate it and I refuse to comment on the demo after having tweaked the ini files because that was THEIR job, not mine, and even then, theres still the other consolized aspects of the gameplay mechanics that just detract from what is supposed tobe a Deus Ex game.

My $50 has to be earned, not bullshitted.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

211. you call yourselves gamers? Nov 23, 2003, 14:16 G_mann

more like whinny ass brats.

Probably get people to PLAY your games for you, but then you would probably whine on how they are playing the game.

kids.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 14:19.

210. bursting bubbles Nov 23, 2003, 14:03 space captain

hehehe - I knew this game was overhyped... I just didnt think it was going to be pure shit

next time use your third eye

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

209. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 13:59 Scottish Martial Arts

WTF!?!??!?! That is about the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard! Compare that statement with the experience of a game we were given with the original demo for Deus Ex. ALL of the elements Harvey mentions as missing from this turd were present in the Liberty Island demo and then some.

If you don't want people to be disappointed with your game, PICK A BETTER REPRESENTATION OF IT, DICKHEADS!! It wasn't our choice.

Yeah I agree, I was really surpised when he said that. However, once I had the game tweaked I really enjoyed it so if the best is yet to come, as Harvey says, then I'm even more excited for the full version.

208. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 13:56 MeatForce

Locational damage: It was there in the original running on a Quake engine, where is it this time. I really enjoyed the effects when my arms or legs were damaged in the original. It made you worried about aiming, getting to cover, etc. This new form is terrible
Unified Ammo: Once again catering to the console crowd. Fine put it on the XBox, but I really liked running out of ammo for a weapon and finding a hidden cache of it just in time, or having to change tactics because I was out of tranqualizer ammo.

EXACTLY. This is the kind of LD balancing I think people are pissed that they took out. It was one of the things that made DX what it was, for crying out loud! There are all kinds of other problems with the combat, but that one is huge.

the demo is sort of cheesy compared to the game: no real story investment, mostly very simplistic mission stuff, only a few side areas and no real character building

WTF!?!??!?! That is about the STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard! Compare that statement with the experience of a game we were given with the original demo for Deus Ex. ALL of the elements Harvey mentions as missing from this turd were present in the Liberty Island demo and then some.

If you don't want people to be disappointed with your game, PICK A BETTER REPRESENTATION OF IT, DICKHEADS!! It wasn't our choice.

In an enthusiastic post I made about DXIW a couple of months back I ended up by saying, Wouldn't it be weird if it turned out to be crap? Meaning, I didn't believe there was a possibility it could happen, but, like, wouldn't it be weird in some alternate universe or something.

Well it's a piece of crap, folks.

I can't believe I actually won't be getting the game! My world has turned upside down. But it's simply unplayable on the PC. If there's revolutionary gameplay down there someplace it just ain't worth digging through the steaming layers of putrid interface to get to it. And I don't mean just the HUD, which you can sorta tweak with that FOV param thing in the ini file, I mean the whole goddam mess.

Exactly. This is fucked.

EDIT: and my opinion is based on a few solid hours of giving the thing a second chance. Tweaking be damned, it runs and looks fine (and yes, full-res textures will be quite nice, I'm sure).

If this game had been released as the first of its kind, I might have different opinions about it entirely, but as a sequel to the game Deus Ex, it plain sucks.
This comment was edited on Nov 23, 14:04.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

207. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 13:52 Scottish Martial Arts

...you have a serious case of denial, man.

No I merely gave the game a second shot. I was just as dissappointed and disgusted as you are when I first booted the thing up. I came here to bitch about it but noticed that someone had posted links to some tweaking resources. I went back and tweaked the game to my liking, then sat down and fully explored the level. At the end of that time I realized that there were certain design decisions that didn't appeal to me, namely hacking and universal ammo, but despite that the game was still awesome and still had the excellent gameplay the made the original such a classic. The more dev posts I read the more it becomes apparent that the game still has some tweaking left before shipping and that the low res texture issue will be ameliorated. The fact that the majority of the issues I had with the game dissappeared with a little tweaking leads me to believe that ISA will make those .ini edits the default for the shipping version, why would they leave problems in when all it takes is 5 minutes of tweaking?

Seriously dude, you haven't answered my question: how long did you play the demo and did you tweak it before hand?

206. Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 13:35 wasrad

...you have a serious case of denial, man.

205. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 13:25 Panick

But thats not the point! people have said it before; We arent supposed to hafta dig in the game code and almost "reprogram" the game until it's playable.

Ion Storm wasnt like: "Hey, if they dont like it, they can always rewrite the ini file to their liking."
The way the game was when you first started it up is how they intended the game to be, and THATS what people here dont like.

I'm still trying to like the game, but even after all the tweaking, I feel that this game could have been so much more.

Thank God for KOTOR.

204. Re: Location Damage Nov 23, 2003, 13:17 Scottish Martial Arts

But according to you (and everyone else) there aren't head shots in the game, not to mention you claim Deus Ex 2 does not need them.

You forgot one group of people who head shots are in the game: the developers. Go read the Ion Storm Forum, head shots are in the game damage just hasn't been tweaked for it yet.

203. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 13:08 Scottish Martial Arts

What games are you comparing it to when you say it's one of the best this year? Among a heaping pile of shit it might be the nicest looking turd. There's so much stuff better than this from 2003 it's not even funny.

Call of Duty for one and ToEE for another. A linear borefest in one and a bug ridden mess with the other.

Question: how long did you play the demo? Did you quit in disgust after 15 minutes and decide the game was shit? I quit in disgust too, but I went back to it. I've got it tweaked now so that it has the feel of a PC game and I can actually just enjoy it for what it is. While I don't agree with the universal ammo and autologin computers, the game itself is still very fun to play and still has the same excellent gameplay of the original. While the game certainly needs some tweaking (specifically locational damage, it is there it just doesn't do much right now) it is nothing the time between now and release and a good patch can't fix. Also in a chat with Harvey last night, he mentioned to me that the demo isn't particularly representative of the game and feel's kinda "cheesy".

edit: Harvey asked not to quote him

If you have honestly tweaked the game, and then done a thorough playthrough of the demo and still think it sucks ass then there is nothing to stop you from thinking that. If however you give it a second shot, tweaking it until it has the "feel" your looking for, and then fully explore the demo level (should take a little over an hour) I am willing to bet you will come away with a much more positive impression.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 14:37.

202. Deus Ex is dead to me Nov 23, 2003, 13:04 Smoked Scorpion

I have read all the articles about DX2 over the past year, and even replayed DX twice this past summer just to get in the mood. However, after playing the demo through several times, I just can't believe this is supposed to be the sequel. Fortunately I haven't had any of the major graphics problems of others, but I am disappointed that some features are disabled and I have to edit an INI file.
Now for my issues:
The HUD is terrible, but I might be able to get used to it.
The interface is craptastic, nothing like having a mouse icon on the screen and not being able to drag and drop. Modifying weapons in the first game was so easy, drag and drop the mod onto the weapon. Now we have to select the weapon, press tab, select the mod and then confirm it. I am sorry, but this is just catering to the console crowd.
Movement: Does anyone else feel as if the player really has no weight behind them, moving about I feel as if I am floating rather than walking.
Locational damage: It was there in the original running on a Quake engine, where is it this time. I really enjoyed the effects when my arms or legs were damaged in the original. It made you worried about aiming, getting to cover, etc. This new form is terrible
Unified Ammo: Once again catering to the console crowd. Fine put it on the XBox, but I really liked running out of ammo for a weapon and finding a hidden cache of it just in time, or having to change tactics because I was out of tranqualizer ammo.

All in all, the demo has certainly dulled killed my interest in DX2. Guess it is time to go back to waiting for HL2 or maybe trying FarCry when it comes out.

201. Interface Nov 23, 2003, 13:02 Ratty

In an enthusiastic post I made about DXIW a couple of months back I ended up by saying, Wouldn't it be weird if it turned out to be crap? Meaning, I didn't believe there was a possibility it could happen, but, like, wouldn't it be weird in some alternate universe or something.

Well it's a piece of crap, folks.

I can't believe I actually won't be getting the game! My world has turned upside down. But it's simply unplayable on the PC. If there's revolutionary gameplay down there someplace it just ain't worth digging through the steaming layers of putrid interface to get to it. And I don't mean just the HUD, which you can sorta tweak with that FOV param thing in the ini file, I mean the whole goddam mess.

I also said something a few days ago that I take back. I desperately take it back. I said I believed the dumbing down they did to the game wasn't due to the XBox in any way. That what they did they did because they truly though it made for a better game independent of platform.

What a load of diarrhea. They sold out plain and simple. Expect Deus Ex 3 to be console-only folks, and be glad of it. We can pretty much write off Thief 3 while we're at it.

Back to looking forward to Half Life 2.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 13:06.

200. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 12:57 Scottish Martial Arts

That's what this game reminds me of--even at 1280x1024 the wall textures in the training basement at the start of the demo hardly look better at all--they've got a very rough, pixelated look that smacks of scaling--probably in the textures being used. I guess what I'm complaining about is the *low-res* textures it's so obvious the demo is using everywhere. The green mat of the pool table is dull and washed out beyond belief. The basic low-res, xBox-ish character is prevalent through the game.

Since you seem so vehement in your opinion I can only assume that you are completely aware that the demo shipped with the lowest res textures in order to keep the download size down. But you already knew that and in fact have already seen these higher res textures unlike the rest of us and still feel the graphics suck ass.

Personally the only thing I dislike about the demo's graphics is the low res textures. The knowledge that these are the lowest res textures the game ships with makes me confident that the full game will look great.

199. Re: Help Nov 23, 2003, 12:39 Riker

When I try to start the game it says it needs a pixel shader. I thought I heard that my geforce 4 MX 440 could handle this?

You're out of luck. This is what all the warnings were about when the GF4MX came out. It's essentially a glorified GeForce2, and does not contain many of the features (including pixel shaders and I believe DirectX 9.0 compliance) of the GeForce4 Ti cards. You can thank nVidia's marketing department for this. In the future, research what you buy.

198. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 12:10 wasrad

hahahahahahahahaha

own

197. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 12:03 MeatForce

Big freaking whoop. DX1 came out during the latter days of the UT engine, hardly a graphic masterpiece and had more of it's share of interface problems. Didn't hear anybody complaining then. But now, it's all about XBox vs. PC. A lot of backlash here seems to surmount to console hate.

First of all, people complained bitterly about DX1, but the complaints that followed the original game's release had nothing to do with consoles. Or ports of any games to or from consoles for that matter. As far as I remember, it was nearly all performance related back then, with a few noisy dumbasses thinking the game would have been better with multiplayer. Basically, poor performance was the only thing you could really find to complain about when they released the first game -- the rest of it was so totally Hi-Qual.

The interface in the first DX was damn near perfection for a game of this type. Plenty of reviews made mention of that fact, and there was very little about it that needed to be tweaked even slightly.

The interface in this game is a textbook example of what not to do when designing a UI - especially one with a precursor people have already grown accustomed to using. It's such a shining example, in fact, that I am cooking up a lesson for next week about this for my grade 12 Comm-Tech students. Maybe some good can come out of this mess after all..

People probably won't complain much about the X-Box version of this game when it's released. What's to complain about? Seems like it should all work pretty well on that platform. Good for the X-Box. I hope this satisfies the half-dozen Morrowind-playing X-Box gamers who would rather have this kind of game on an X-Box than a PC.

BUT THIS ISN'T THE X-BOX VERSION!! Why would anyone think that the UI design decisions which are appropriate to a console are even remotely suitable for a PC? Laziness is the only reasonable excuse I can think of. Most people in here seem to be pissed because this is so clearly just an X-Box game that runs under Windows.

The idea that the designers thought this would wash with us is both laughable and insulting at the same time. As a PC game, DX2:IW has serious design flaws that detract from the experience to such a degree that I simply will not be playing it. Sure the UI can be understood eventually -- so can AIDS, but that doesn't make its existence a good thing, nor something I want any part of.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been playing through the original game again in anticipation of this release and... well, the difference in the quality of the design between the two is staggering.

The first game is 100% more playable and approachable. Moving between the two requires a TOTAL shift in the way you can expect to interact with what is meant to be the same world, and I have yet to see a single example where this change has been an improvement. As a user of both systems, the sequel is giving me no incentive to learn its ways when I know how well it could have worked using the old UI.

I can't appreciate the work that went into the graphics, story and/or gameplay because I'm too busy trying to figure out what brand of crack the UI fucktards were smoking the day they decided I'd want to operate their little monstrosity on my PC.

I get the feeling I'd be somewhat underwhelmed by those key elements if the UI wasn't so damned efficient at obscuring my appreciation of them, but I'm really left with little to no opinion, even after several hours of "playing" the demo. I guess I'll have to find out by reading the reviews.

Shit. The amount of non-UI related stuff I'm not mentioning in this post could fill volumes, now that I've gotten going here.. But it's really the UI that's killed it for me (and I finished Pirates of The Caribbean -- it takes a pretty majorly fucked-up UI to keep me from playing a game)!

(performance is extremely smooth for me BTW - XP2100+/9700Pro/1GB RAM/1024x768/4xAA/0xAF/CAT 3.9s)

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

196. Help Nov 23, 2003, 11:28 deeny

When I try to start the game it says it needs a pixel shader. I thought I heard that my geforce 4 MX 440 could handle this?

195. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 10:31 WaltC

"All of these, I think comparable to UT2003's specs, hardly low poly or low res, and certainly no worse than ToEE. In fact, several improvements have been made over the build release for UT2003, but I guess that's no longer a "modern" engine to your eyes.

Here's the deal, I think. PC gamers are pissed off because their game was "tarnished" by the XBox. Look at the complaints. It's too consolish. It's "only" XBox level graphics. The inventory is too simple. There's no locational damage.

Big freaking whoop. DX1 came out during the latter days of the UT engine, hardly a graphic masterpiece and had more of it's share of interface problems. Didn't hear anybody complaining then. But now, it's all about XBox vs. PC. A lot of backlash here seems to surmount to console hate."

I really think you've got it backwards...:) The PC version of the demo is "tarnished" not because an xBox version of the game exists, but because the PC version appears identical to it. Had the game been properly reworked to be competitive in the PC environment of *today* it would differ in at least three important respects from the demo:

(1) It would have been much more obviously a spin-off/sequel of the original PC Deus Ex in much more than name

(2) Graphics engine (textures, models, polygon counts, etc.)would have received a massive overhaul to keep it in line with the general current state of PC 3d games, at least

(3) The GUI would have been revamped to accomodate a PC (an enhanced version of the original GUI would have been fine with me--it was original and innovative in its day--but more to the point it rarely got in your way while playing the game.) The loading screens, giant text, on-screen radial menu and all of the rest look very childish compared even to the original Deus Ex. More than that is that a lot of it simply gets in the way of playing the game.

I have nothing whatever against the xBox. But I'm not a part of that market and don't wish to be--it's no dispersion whatever on anyone who is an xBox fan--we all have our likes and dislikes. I've got more invested in my 3d card than an xBox costs; in fact, you could probably buy 10 xBoxes for the money I have in my gaming rig at home. Heck, you could probably buy 2 xBoxes for what I paid for my 5.1 surround speaker system (from which I get a great deal of enjoyment)...:)

Needless to say, but with my 3d card and a 21" RGB monitor the last thing on earth I'm interested in is 640x480 running on a television...:) But a 640x480 3d engine (as used in this game) designed for xBox is exactly what this demo is based on. (I mean, good grief, the demo is officially released in a state unable to even save changes you make to its display resolution, although you can save games in the demo without a problem. I guess the devs figured no one would want to run at >640x480...? I still have the original Deus Ex installed and have never run the game even as low as 800x600--I think 1280x1024 is what I use when I fire it up these days.)

So, yes, I do have certain expectations for games released as sequels to previous PC blockbusters that I purchased and enjoyed. The thing that people are seeing that they most dislike about this demo is the fact that everything in it--from the game play itself to the GUI to the text in the .ini configuration files--has been designed around the extremely limited xBox hardware environment.

So, this is an xBox demo released for the PC with only enough bare modification to get it to load on a PC. If this demo represents the state of the PC game then it's obvious to me that the developer and publisher really aren't concerned with how the game does in the PC markets, and are pinning their hopes on the xBox market, instead.

Nothing wrong with that except its illogic. Deus Ex made a big impression as a PC game, not an xBox title. But the developers are using the Deus Ex name to promote what is essentially an xBox title, which exudes a far different character from the original PC game of the same title. And that's the quandry.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

194. Re: worst...demo....EVER !!! Nov 23, 2003, 10:30 Von Helmet

Well, that was coherent... and colourful.

I've not tried the demo yet (too much work! curses!) but I'm very wary now... It's not going down well.

193. worst...demo....EVER !!! Nov 23, 2003, 10:21 Killer Kane

holy shit does this game suck ! i was really looking forward to this one , but i wouldnt play this if it was free....every time i moved to a differnt area it remapped my keys ! (?). when i exited it had rearranged my desktop icons !!!??? the overall gameplay experience was , in a word , ANNOYING ! a smoldering pile of puss covered maggot infested slathered in bronto cum sitting in a in a puddle of AIDS piece of shit..." no sir i didnt like it "

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo