Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

232. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 20:06 Spiffae

So, i just played the demo through two more times... The first five or six tries, i hated it. I had hoped it would be great, but it just wasn't. this time, something clicked. I snuck in...explored, hacked, fought, won. It was satisfying. I'm not saying the game is perfect, far from it.

The text is intrusive and awful. the inventory is inconsistent, and the UI is (duh) clunky.

Still, there was something there that i enjoyed.

Admin/Editor - http://www.beyondhalflife.com

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

231. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 18:32 Ray Marden

I think that...

...some of these (easy, tweakable) problems in the demo show a real lack of testing or effort on the developer's part.

...the game does not have a good graphics to performance ratio.

...is actually somewhat good as a standalone game, but a real letdown as the sequel to Deus Ex.

...at least looking at the demo, the scope of the game is severely lacking compared to the original Deus Ex's demo/game. The Deus Ex demo completely blew me away when it came out.

...I am falling in love with KotOR.

Having (stupidly) ordered the FOOLscreen version of X2 :|,
Ray

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really, truly hate my computer!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.}

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

230. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 18:29 Scottish Martial Arts

Scottish - Give it up man. Your conclusion that the full game will be good in spite of the problems with the demo is more ignorant than people deciding the full game will suck because of the demo.

Okay let's sum up the glaring errors that have been stated so far (please feel free to add):

1. Blurry, Low Res Graphics
2. Obtrusive HUD
3. Jerky Mouse movement
4. Floaty movement
5. Inventory Manipulation
6. Unified Ammo
7. Unified Multitools/Lockpicks
8. Autologin Computers

I can't think of any more but please feel free to add to the list. While IS should have polished this demo further and the community should not have to make workarounds, here they are:

1. Turning on Detail Textures and other graphics options in the .ini file ameliorates most of the graphical issues. The full version contains higher res textures.
2. Turning HUD opacity to 0 causes it to turn off when not in use and turns on momentarily when in use (i.e. you take damage, or you use an inventory item). Failing that you can adjust how far away from the center of the screen the HUD lies.
3. Set mouselag threshold to 0 and then adjust sensitivity to your preference.
4. Set movement speeds .8000 as opposed to 1.0000 in the .ini file.
5. No workaround besides getting used to it. I don't see why IS can't include drag and drop functionality and a toggle key in either the full version or a patch.
6. No workaround, a design decision I don't agree with.
7. No workaround, a design decision I do agree with. Lockpicks and multitools were used in the exact same manner in the original game. Combining the two doesn't affect gameplay any.
8. No workaround, a design decision I don't agree with. Unfortunately I think we're just gonna have to live with this one, I don't see how they can easily reinsert typing in logins and passwords.

Again feel free to add to this list. Ion Storm wasn't content to release a mission pack with better graphics. They decided to take risky design decisions to make what the felt would be a better game. Now some of these decisions I agree with and some of them I don't. The one's that I don't agree with however do not destroy the experience for me, the game is still fun. The technical and "console feel" issues that people have been having can for the most part be eliminated with some tweaking.

I suppose the reason why I defend this game is because people are judging it based upon the hype and the unpolished nature of the demo. I made the same mistake initially and was very disappointed until I gave it a second chance. I continue to post to this thread in the hopes that other people will give the game a second chance. In my opinion there is a good game underneath the demo issues. I also believe that if those who dislike the demo were able to look past those issues they would also enjoy the game. There are those like wasrad who did look beyond the issues and still didn't like what the saw, and that's cool he gave the game a chance and really did not care for it. There are a lot of people here who have decided not to give the game a chance and as a result are cheating themselves of a chance to play a really good game.

229. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 18:05 JediLuke

Scottish - Give it up man. Your conclusion that the full game will be good in spite of the problems with the demo is more ignorant than people deciding the full game will suck because of the demo. The demo showcased some glaring errors and they are not imagined. No one is interested in whether or not you were able to "look past" or "get over" the problems. And it's not at all the fact that they're different from the first game, it's that they're worse than the first game.

I hope that the full game will be good too, but without rectifying a lot of the issues present in the demo (And I'm sorry, I played through it 6 times before and after tweaking ini files - it helps, but doesn't solve the bigger problems) I can already see that the full game will disappoint in many areas.

~Steve

228. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 17:51 Robert Martens

busted, I have to say, the demo is also starting to grow on me--once I solved the mouselag issue (why the hell such a setting exists is beyond me, but what the hell), turned off "bloom", and set the detail of lighting, shadows, and characters to "low", I'm getting decent performance at 800x600. Perhaps if I had a videocard more powerful than my Quadro DCC--a GeForce 3 as far as games are concerned--I'd be able to turn more stuff on, but this looks fine by me.

I must say, now that it runs acceptably, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm still VERY upset that the hacking feature has been so crippled (entering keycodes by hand with the keypad, typing in passwords and logins, worrying about logging off before being noticed, that stuff was exciting!), and the inventory management could be a bit smoother (drag-and-drop would be great, as would key toggles; be nice if I could just tap "V" again to close the inventory, instead of having to hit Escape), but the core game seems to be pretty fun.

And the sound you hear when you bop somebody in the head with an oil drum? Priceless.

I'm definitely gonna buy it now, but must nonetheless express my disdain for the rather unprofessional way this demo release was handled. Useless settings turned on, important ones turned off, read-only ini files, it's all disheartening.

Bad Ion Storm! :p

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 17:54.

"You can't tell the plumber your sh*t doesn't stink." - Bob Martens (my father)

227. Re: Woot! Demo is good now! Nov 23, 2003, 17:44 Camaro76

You're welcome.

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy Blue is a Blue rolling around in a pile of cash" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

226. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 17:36 Yakumo

222 : yeah, i havn't seen them, link would have been a clever idea right?

225. Woot! Demo is good now! Nov 23, 2003, 17:30 Frijoles

Just wanted to thank whoever it was that posted the link to the tweak page. I've gone through that thread and adjusted all my settings and this demo finally plays like a PC game. Looks like I'll be buying it now. I've gone through the demo several times now. The most fun was torching everyone in the building. muhaha!

That tweak thread is at: http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=34880

224. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 17:28 Camaro76

Psst... um, SMA, I think he was talking about the Thief 'trailer' in the DX:IW extras... I think...

---
<rant>
Is this the next trend - we get a demo that's not 'representative of the final game'...? That's like selling a house and giving people only a tour of the bathroom. Or like taking a new car out for a test drive, but the salesman tells you, "The *real production model* will have softer suspension, more horsepower, and a cup holder". Show me stuff based on the final working code, that shows off how fun the game is. Do game companies want to SELL their damn games, or not? Record companies don't pick a band's worst song to play on the radio (and then make lame excuses about why they picked it).

I was sorely disappointed with Halo, I'm not about to make the same mistake twice...</rant>

---------------------------------------------
Supporter of the "a happy Blue is a Blue rolling around in a pile of cash" fanclub.

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

223. No subject Nov 23, 2003, 17:24 busted404

I just read every page of this thread and that's one whole lot of complaining in just the one place.

I played the demo through 3 times, the first time my absolute immediate thought was "oh dear". It wasn't anything like I expected it to be, not in the slightest. At the time I wasn't quite sure what I expected but I just knew that I didn't feel how I thought I would about it.

The HUD was weird and the non saving of keybindings and resolution each time I died or reloaded fazed me to start with. The whole thing was so damned dark and felt incredibly cramped. But I slogged through it and finished it. I still didn't really know what to make of it, short was the first thing that sprang to mind, also very different from what I thought it would be.

I played it through again this morning after reading about changing the ini file(s) from read only and changing certain things. It was better now that I didn't lose bindings and res every time, and I played a bit more slowly and poked around a little, I finished again and it wasn't so bad, just very brief.

I played it again tonight and realised it's grown on me, I did more exploring and messed around with the physics. I found some stuff I never saw the first couple of times and went a couple places I missed before. Like down below in a small area where a couple of greasels were lurking, chucked a couple of those spider things down there and watched them wear the greasels down enough so that I could kill them easily. I still played it the same way mind, I not a huge fan of stealth tactics but each to his own of course.

When I was finished this last time I realised what it was that I was expecting to see. Having played the original Deus Ex several times I was expecting more of exactly the same but with much improved graphics. Which is understandable considering how much I loved the original. I'll be buying the game when it's released in the UK in Feb 2004, but I'll be sure to remember to play it as a whole new game in its own right, instead of expecting a mission pack for Deus-Ex. I think I'll like it as a game with its own individual identity rather than a game that tries to be exactly the same as something I already played. I also see enough of the old Deus-Ex style for it to remind me of its roots.

I'm lucky enough not to have any performance issues with the demo. I have a mediocre system comprising of XP2100, GF4Ti4200 64mb with 1GB 2700 system RAM. I can't say that the graphics made me say "wow" but I can't think of a better looking single player FPS in 2003.

I feel sorry for the folk that are having technical issues, I've been there myself on two occasions over the years and it really does taint ones feelings for a game. I don't understand though how people can describe the graphics with words like "shit", they're nothing like "shit" at all. Maybe not as good as the screenies suggest but what game ever has been so far. I also don't understand how anybody can condemn the whole unreleased game as "shit" either based on this short demo.

It all strikes me as the same mass hysteria that followed Halo when it was released a while back. Now there was a game with underwhelming graphics and overwhelming performance issues. It was still a fun game though and easily one of the best FPS of 2003 if not the best. I just feel that our expectations have gotten way out of control when it comes to new games. Every single new game seems to get trashed like it was some kind of deliberate "sellout" to some other platform or big corporation somewhere.

That petition is nuts in my opinion and as a body of people whom all share the same basic tastes in gaming I think we've lost the plot a little. What did Ion Storm or Warren Spector do? Kill somebody or something? I even read some personal insults in there and wishes for Ion Storm to go bust. Why do we feel the need to personally attack people or wish the demise of a company and a subsequent loss of employment for its staff just because we don't think a game lives up to our expectations?

I just think people should either play the game as a game in its own right when it's released, and judge it on what they see within that game. I doubt that anything can equal or better the original anyway, not least because we were different people back then and our expectations were lower. It also took the original a long time to gain the cult status it has now, and it also suffered a heavy slating to start with.

Deus-Ex Invisible War is Deus-Ex Invisible War, not Deus-Ex Mission Pack One, I'm going to play it with that in mind and then judge it.

222. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 16:38 Scottish Martial Arts

anyway, i've seen seen no evidence of any official mention that this demo has lower rez textures than what the final game will have, looks to me like they're jsut xboxed like everything else in the game and we're stuck with it that way.

So I guess, the unofficial postings by the devs on the Ion Storm forums don't count? Would you like a press release to confirm this or would a personal phone call from the devs be better?

221. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 16:36 Scottish Martial Arts

yeah, WTF was that shit about anyways. There wasnt even any in-game clips. Just prerendered mess.

Why do game companies stilldo prerendered scenes when rendered looks so fucking great now days?

WTF

Your kidding right? You want to axe the Thief cutscenes? Get rid of the excellent animation, the dark mood, the beautiful art? I ask you: WTF?!

While certainly not integral to the gameplay, Thief's cutscenes were however an integral part to the overall Thief experience. I cannot believe that someone who claims to be Thief fan would want to do away with those excellent cutscenes.

220. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 15:53 DedEye

As I was picking up KotOR (awesome so far btw)last week at EB, I preordered DE:IW. My comment to the clerk at the time was "The possiblity that this game will suck is remote".

I d/l and played the demo Friday. Initially not impressed. I got back form the g/f's this am and gave it more time but I remain disappointed. The reasons have mostly been covered in prior posts, so I won't repeat them here. I plan on cancelling my pre-order, but also plan on keeping an open mind. I hope that my experience with this demo is not indicative of what the final product will be like. However, with the lack of further evidence to the contrary, this is currently not a purchase for me.

219. No subject Nov 23, 2003, 15:28 Panick

yeah, like in WC3?

(damn I hate that game)

218. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 15:09 wasrad

yeah, WTF was that shit about anyways. There wasnt even any in-game clips. Just prerendered mess.

Why do game companies stilldo prerendered scenes when rendered looks so fucking great now days?

WTF

217. Re: OMG! Nov 23, 2003, 15:00 Yakumo

re : no. 200

to keep the files size down to make room for the theif3 movie no-one wanted to be forced to download you mean.

anyway, i've seen seen no evidence of any official mention that this demo has lower rez textures than what the final game will have, looks to me like they're jsut xboxed like everything else in the game and we're stuck with it that way.

216. Re: All I gotta say is... Nov 23, 2003, 14:57 wasrad

while Ive had my doubts about Invisible War, I think they might actually be doing a good job with thief III. The game mechanics of the two are completely different and you know they cant fuck up things like the HUD cuz thief is one of those games where a HUD is not really needed at all, especially if they implement the characters shadow, unlike they did with IW. f they fuck up thief 3 instead of making it better than 2, I will seriously believe they INTENTIONALLY did it because I just can not see how they could do it.

Notice I didnt type Deus Ex anywhere but right here, too.

215. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 14:46 wasrad

I honostly wish I could share the same opinion but Im not going to dig through an olympic sized pool of shit just to get my lost gold ring. Ill just go buy another.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 14:46.

214. All I gotta say is... Nov 23, 2003, 14:39 Keno the Rat

...if they mess up Thief III this bad, they should all be severely beaten and not allowed to develop for PC ever again.

- Keno the Rat

213. Re: Damn SMA... Nov 23, 2003, 14:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Well my personal opinion is that on the whole the game is very well done. Most of the issues I have with it can either be tweaked away or become almost unnoticable after a few hours of play time. After getting past my initial shock I was able to just really get immersed in the game and have a great time doing it. To quote a friend of mine:

I agree...once I was in the game world...I'd say after about 30 minutes, I was just immersed in trying to find everything, reading the books, and it's not like I was sitting there thinking, "I really miss that, or I really miss this." I just played and enjoyed...none of the complaints took away from the overall experience.

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo