Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo

Considerably earlier than expected, the public version of the Deus Ex: Invisible War demo is now available for download. Here's word: "Only one event has been more anticipated than the December 3rd release of Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that is the release of the pre-release playable demo for Deus Ex: Invisible War. The demo gives an incredible glimpse into the unique player choice gameplay. Alex D needs transport in a jet held by Sophia Sak, mercenary. There are many ways to resolve the challenges in getting your ride, it's up to you how to choose to make it happen. You've got a few biomods and a few weapons at your disposal, but are they necessary. Will you use wits or brawn? And do you have enough of either to make it happen?" The 224 MB demo can be found on the Eidos Interactive Website, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, DeusEx2Files, FileFront, Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, Games Fusion, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NWSGaming, Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

252. HOLY SHIT!!! Nov 24, 2003, 11:48 NeOCidE

Check this out!!!!!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dx2&6151

6200 people signed and still counting!!!! Thats a shit load of money!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

251. Re: a few points Nov 24, 2003, 10:26 EvilGoof_Trollboy

"Actually, almost all of the code is Ion's"

then they should all be taken out and have shock batons inserted in the asses

unacceptable pos

250. a few points Nov 24, 2003, 10:13 RegularX

but even if they expect us to buy that, why is there no reloading?

Because there are no clips. Without clips, reloading makes no sense.

No, it doesn't affect gameplay, but I still think it's dumb. Lockpicks and multitools are different items and they don't do the same thing.

It's a world full of nanobots, greasels and a leech drone that can break down tissue to regenerate you, but some how the sonic screwdriver is a stretch for you? This is a welcome change I think.

In the first game if you got your legs shot up you couldn't walk right, or if your arm was damaged your accuracy was decreased. This was cool.

Actually, I always thought this was a neat idea horribly done. Getting your legs blown off in the first game was a gimmick, made little sense and generally just got you killed anyway. It would have been nice to have seen someone do the Action Quake model correctly, but I'd rather just not have it all than the way it was before.

The bar broadcasts a code which turns off all of your weapons... including your knife and baton. Huh?

This has to be the most annoying complaint I've heard. Gimme a break. So you can't go stabbing people in a bar, at least they've tried to give some explanation for it.

Poor facial animation/lipsynch. The NPCs will keep talking/waving their hands after they're done speaking, and many of them will repeat the same lines over and over. In my last playthrough, *every* time I walked by that one guy in the bar he'd say that line about "They'll always need us for the dirty work. Like my brother who blah blah blah..."

It's better than it was in the first and at least par for games of this day. If this really annoys someone, I don't see how they could have liked the original.

Wonderful lighting effect and physics engine. But somehow it doesn't translate into gameplay, just eye-candy.

Maybe you should try using the physics to accomplish something. There's at least two places in the demo you can get past something by creating a new block wall.

Unimpressive A.I.

Yes.

And out of all the complaints I think this is the one people should be up in arms about. And it rarely makes people's list. The interface isn't nearly as bad as people are raving about, the graphics are fine and you can probably guess that they'll improve the performance and compatibility for the last build. They might even toss in new textures and some new features like localized damage.

But you can bet they won't update this AI. It was forgivable in DX1 because nobody was really doing AI better - but it seems like they could have stopped you from harrasing bartenders with barrels (not even AI- just cordone off the bar) or running right up to a guard with a shock prod or gun without him taking an aggressive stance. If anything, the AI is -worse- than it was in DX1, and you can't blame the XBox on that one.

Having played the demo through three or four times now, this is the only thing that I think will still annoy me in the final game.

249. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2003, 09:51 kanniballl

I keep trying to spot patterns with the people who have problems having Ati/nVidia cards or AMD/Intel processors and so on and so forth, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to all the performance problems. There's something very subjectively weird going on if someone with an XP3000, a gig of RAM and a 5900 can't run it, and someone with a XP 2100, half a gig and a 9500 can run it like silk.

I think PART of the problem is people's expectations. On my machine, it's no "slide show", but it's not "smooth as silk either".

I'd have to guess around 30-40 FPS at 1024x768 (without ini tweaking). This is fine for me, as I liked playing DX at a slow pace (sneaking around was fun). But considering it doesn't have ground-breaking graphics, I'm slightly dissappointed. Then again, the original DX was a hog on mid-range PC's back in its day.

However, my problems with the game aren't so much performance, but with style and interface. Try hacking a security terminal, and tell me it's not dummied down. It went from elegant mouse interface with nice screens to 1996 option menu.

My stats:
Intel P4 2.4GHZ w/ 533MHZ FSB
1GB DDR 2700
ATI Radeon 9800 XT w/ 256MB (catalyst 3.9)
SB Live! Value Soundcard
WD 80GB HD w/ 7200RPM and 8MB cache
Windows XP Pro

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

248. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2003, 09:44 Moog Operator

I am also suprised... I have a 9700pro, and it runs fast at 1024*768. Whats with the toggle crouch and that interface tho? Are you sure? y/n? I love it

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

247. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2003, 09:43 Von Helmet

I keep trying to spot patterns with the people who have problems having Ati/nVidia cards or AMD/Intel processors and so on and so forth, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to all the performance problems. There's something very subjectively weird going on if someone with an XP3000, a gig of RAM and a 5900 can't run it, and someone with a XP 2100, half a gig and a 9500 can run it like silk.

Weird.

246. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2003, 09:34 Riker

DX2 on the other hand is based on the same version of Unreal as Splinter Cell and UT2K3 (as far as I can tell) and runs like a dog

Actually, almost all of the code is Ion's. They started out with the Unreal engine but ended up re-writing just about everything, including the renderer. Sucks that it's running so ass on your rig though. My system isn't as beefy as yours, but it runs fairly well with my ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. With the nVidia logo being attached to the game and all, I'm surprised it doesn't run better on nVidia hardware.

245. No subject Nov 24, 2003, 08:59 XEON

As with the original Deus Ex ISA haven't optimised the Unreal Engine as much as they could (should) have done if the performance issues reported are anything to go by - remember DX1 was powered by the original Unreal Engine and they released a D3D patch which really boosted performance for players. For example I run UT2K3 with everything at absolute max (including karma) runs silky smooth with little or no frame drop out. DX2 on the other hand is based on the same version of Unreal as Splinter Cell and UT2K3 (as far as I can tell) and runs like a dog, I fully understand cool features like Bloom take a performance hit but even with that switched off I have to run the game at 640x480 to get a smooth(ish) frame rate.

Having spent the last couple of days tweaking ini files and pissing around with various drivers for audio and gfx I have now managed to actually play the game and I've got to concede my previous negative attitude towards DX2 was probably too harsh. Now that the demo is running ok (albeit low-res) I kinda like the gfx style, Bloom is excellent and really adds something

I've completed the demo through now once or twice and still can't decide if this is a sell-out or if I'm totally missing the point. It just doesn't feel like a PC game, the lack of leaning in a game that offers stealth is an incredible oversight. I won't repeat my other gripes here - needless to say I agree with pretty much all of them.

The requirement for most people to mess around with ini files in 2003 just to get an acceptable level of performance also beggers belief, it just feels like ISA can't be arsed with the PC version at all. Doesn't bode well for T3.

I've cancelled my pre-order of DX2 PC based on playing the demo so I'm now waiting for either patch plans or some response from ISA before I'll consider buying the PC version....In the meantime I'm hoping for an Xbox demo other than this one to see if its worth picking up on the console instead.

For reference my system is as follows: XP Pro on a Barton XP3200, 1gb DDR Ram, Asus GF FX 5900 256mb, NForce2 Sound (all latest drivers, DX9b and all service packs yada yada yada).

"Despite constant warnings you have never met anyone who's had their arm broken by a swan"

===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

244. Re: no work with geforce2 mx? Nov 24, 2003, 08:49 Riker

Hi, I just installed the demo and when I try to load the game up, all I get is a black screen. Is this the infamous "no DX2 with an MX card" bullshit? I can run Halo, for chrissakes....

That IS bullshit! I can't run it on my 386, either! BULLSHIT!!

243. Re: OMG! Nov 24, 2003, 04:52 wasrad

For thief 1 and 2, they were great but with thief 3, technology is to a point to where it can all be rendered in-engine and very well too.

I guess I just want developers to make me feel my hardware purchases were worth it or something, which they havent been doing at all.

242. Re: no work with geforce2 mx? Nov 24, 2003, 03:40 Artery

Only way you'll get the demo running is if you upgrade your video card. Yes, Halo does run on MX cards, but the shader effects in that game weren't critical to gameplay. In DX2, I believe all shadows are done via shaders.... and without shaders, you can't have shadows.... and without shadows, it directly affects the experience.

241. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2003, 03:40 Marauder

Scottish yeah, you left out a few:

9. No localised damage.
10. No leaning.
11. Wonderful lighting effect and physics engine. But somehow it doesn't translate into gameplay, just eye-candy.
12. Unimpressive A.I.

M

240. no work with geforce2 mx? Nov 24, 2003, 02:43 Botts

Hi, I just installed the demo and when I try to load the game up, all I get is a black screen. Is this the infamous "no DX2 with an MX card" bullshit? I can run Halo, for chrissakes....

Any help?

DX1 is one of my top 5 games of all time, but so far this is not looking good, based on what I'm seeing in the forum, here...

Botts

239. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 23:47 Ray Marden

Well, I have only started the game; I am still on the first world and not even a jedi. <sniff, sniff> However:

• No, you cannot set your mouse keys, at least not through the game. To be honest, the game has a very simple interface, though, and you only need two mouse buttons. You essentially walk around in the 3D world and click on items to look at or use them. Currently, I have it setup so that the mouse normally moves the cursor around the screen, holding down the right mouse button will let me move the camera, and the left mouse button does all the selecting

• You really do not need much more than a two-button mouse for this game. From what little I have seen thus far, the game is almost 2.5D - you may be in a 3D world, but all you ever have to do is look left or right and select whatever you need/want.

• Many items are force-alignment senstive, but not all of them. I was able to "borrow" items from a number of people and it did not affect my light/dark rating. However, you will come upon many question or turning points that can affect your alignment. Early in the game, you stumble upon a man being threatened by some thugs over the 100 credits he owes. Your light/dark alignment will be affected by not doing anything, stepping in, just killing the thugs outright, offering to help the man's debt, killing both the man and the thugs, etc. As you take light or dark actions, you will gain points for the corresponding side, ranging from complete light to complete darkness.

• I cannot say that I have had any alignment-sensitive triggers happen, I am still just at the "Nice guy on planet" stage, but both the game and reviews have stated that people will start responding do you diffrently as you become more known for your good/bad actions. I fully expect some of the people I have helped to help me out later whereas I expect a number of fights with thugs and the like later on due to my actions.

• The last question is a bit moot since you do not have two different columns, one for light and one for dark respectively, but a fully dynamic slider. The game gives you a lot of opportunities to be anything from an angel to an outright bastard...or just take very little action at all.

• Noting, again, that I am very early into the game,
    (Mostly good) Ray

Edit: Code fix.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really, truly hate my computer!
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
    I love you, mom.}
    This comment was edited on Nov 23, 23:48.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.

238. No subject Nov 23, 2003, 23:31 Acleacius

Ray speaking of KotOR, is it true you cant set your mouse keys? I really want to get this game, I have heard good things but cant stand not being able to set my controls the way I like them.
    Second I have been trying to understand the light vs dark, I have read you can play netural but you miss alignment bonuses, plus you have to choose at the end. Questions do Npc's respond to you becuase of you balance of your alignment( agueably someone shouldnt know your alignment unless you demenstrate it) or they respond to your actions or previous actions?
    Ie, if I used a cheat to add equal dark points to my light points and only did good things (light actions) would npc's know I have equal dark power and treat me differently ?

Thanks if you have the time or the notion to answer

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 23:32.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

237. Disappointing Nov 23, 2003, 23:11 amygdala

I went to the mall and cancelled my pre-order today.

In an ideal world, after its release Invisible War will be patched and tweaked to the point where it is playable, and hopefully enjoyable. But right now, I see no reason whatsoever to buy it on release day. Maybe I'll check in with it in a few months.

I was so excited about this game. I just knew that it would be GOTY. Now it's as though my enthusiasm has been surgically removed...

236. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 22:07 John

Well, I sure am glad that you all are so happy about this. I'm still waiting to hear Creston's opinion.

Having (stupidly) ordered the FOOLscreen version of X2,

At first I thought you were talking about X, the game.

This space is available for rent

235. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 21:20 JediLuke

1. Blurry, Low Res Graphics
    2. Obtrusive HUD
    3. Jerky Mouse movement
    4. Floaty movement
    5. Inventory Manipulation
    6. Unified Ammo
    7. Unified Multitools/Lockpicks
    8. Autologin Computers

Add lack of reloading to number 6. Unified ammo is one issue (and I think it's completely absurd both from a believability and gameplay standpoint), but even if they expect us to buy that, why is there no reloading? As for the graphics, I don't have a huge problem with them. DX didn't have great graphics and I didn't mind, although it is disappointing considering how the developers claimed to have spent a lot more time on the graphics.

No workaround, a design decision I do agree with. Lockpicks and multitools were used in the exact same manner in the original game. Combining the two doesn't affect gameplay any.

That just doesn't make sense. No, it doesn't affect gameplay, but I still think it's dumb. Lockpicks and multitools are different items and they don't do the same thing. One picks locks and one disables electronic systems. It feels silly to use an electronic multitool to pick a lock. This represents the fundamentally flawed "simpler is better" idea. Just because you can combine two items into one and have the game still work doesn't mean you should! It made complete sense to have separate lockpicks and multitools.

Other issues:

1. Completely wacky physics/some poor physics implementation. Shoot the dead bodies on the ground and watch them spasm wildly. Throw a body 50 feet in the air and then juggle it out of sight with the SMG. Throw a barrel at a guard to no effect. Add to this the clipping errors, and there are some jarring oddities present. And how come all light sources cast shadows except for the player's light source? That is, the biomod activated by the F1 key?

2. The weapon models look pretty poor in some cases and bob all over the place/clip through walls.

3. The stun prod is useless, and it's now very difficult to make a quick kill, even if you do it noisily. You can't shoot someone in the head and have them die. Which leads me to...

4. Location based damage is messed up. I know the devs said they'd fix it, but that's yet to be seen. It doesn't appear to be in effect for the player, either. In the first game if you got your legs shot up you couldn't walk right, or if your arm was damaged your accuracy was decreased. This was cool. It worked for the enemies as well, and overall was an immersive, consistent, and realistic system. No reason to mess with it the way they did.

5. The expanding crosshair was good, now it's gone.

6. The bar broadcasts a code which turns off all of your weapons... including your knife and baton. Huh?

7. Poor facial animation/lipsynch. The NPCs will keep talking/waving their hands after they're done speaking, and many of them will repeat the same lines over and over. In my last playthrough, *every* time I walked by that one guy in the bar he'd say that line about "They'll always need us for the dirty work. Like my brother who blah blah blah..."

There are still probably more that I forgot.

~Steve
    This comment was edited on Nov 23, 22:09.

234. Re: even Saddam hates it Nov 23, 2003, 20:58 Beamer

I read something recently that had a few developers talking about how they were green when doing DX1, and learned a ton from DX2. They went on to talk about how they learned and how it changed the new game, but it sounded worse to me.

Can someone explain why they took out experience? having to train different areas could really effect your gaming experience. If anything I would have made it deeper, so you were more specialized by the end, rather than just a master of all.

Instead you start as a master of all.... not fun.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

352 Replies. 18 pages. Viewing page 6.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo