Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF Vietnam - No TDM or CTF

A post on Boomtown offers a tidbit from a Battlefield Vietnam Q&A that they will be posting soon, revealing that the team deathmatch and capture the flag gameplay modes are being dropped from the BF1942 sequel, quoting A.J Marini as saying: "There is such a small percentage of people who played Capture the Flag and Team Death Match that we decided to drop those game modes all together." They also have some details on the wide variety of options available in the new Custom Combat mode and how the new Evolution mode will work: "In Evolution, the game spans across two historically tied maps. The scores from the first map, player and team, are then carried over to the second."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: bad design Nov 20, 2003, 19:29 Chance

Randy: "I guess in your version we just leave in the end instead of trying to win. Hey.. why even bother with points right?"

The point being victory was judged, by the US Army, by bodycount... think about it for a while. It was a war of attrition whose goal was to kill the enemy, pure and simple. Sounds like TDM to me.

*edit* Toning down the sarcasm...

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 19:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: bad design Nov 20, 2003, 08:17 Randy

"What's odd in a Vietnam war game is no TDM... bodycount was the name of the game in that war. Objectives were often irrelevant. The whole thing was one big TDM. And apparently the devs have no clue. Figures..."

I guess in your version we just leave in the end instead of trying to win. Hey.. why even bother with points right?

22. no mp Nov 19, 2003, 19:51 2coasts

I heard that Half-Life2 is going to ship without multiplayer support... :/

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 19:52.

21. Re: bad design Nov 19, 2003, 19:50 Chance

What's odd in a Vietnam war game is no TDM... bodycount was the name of the game in that war. Objectives were often irrelevant. The whole thing was one big TDM. And apparently the devs have no clue. Figures...

20. Re: bad design Nov 19, 2003, 18:52 mag

DOOM 3 will have multiplayer. It'll just be small.

19. bad design Nov 19, 2003, 17:21 Shataan

"You can storm into the enemy's base with guns blazing, kill every single person on the opposite team, run for the flag, and before you can even get there everyone has respawned and is shooting at you again."

the flags should be out in the terrain BETWEEN the bases ala Delta force 2, and the bases are where you should bring the flags back to in order to make the points. Bases as well are for respawn. Obviously, but you are not supposed to put flags in the bases. Is that wtf they are in BF 1942? If so, no fucking wonder no one played the CTFs. LOL

Hell, it is no wonder, even Nova has forgotten how to make a good game anymore. Now a Dev drops CTFs because they can`t make it coolness for the players. WTF is next? Its almost like UT 2s reasons for not having MP. Or DOOM 3 not having mp. The list goes on.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 17:22.

18. Re: :-( Nov 19, 2003, 16:47 ExcessDan

don't worry about it, you'll just have to wait a bit for a CTF mod to come out

------------
Love Dan

Sign the petition for Blue to use bullets in Consolidation! Do your part to stop the discrimination against console gamers today!
http://www.petitiononline.com/bluecon/petition.html

ExcessDan

17. :-( Nov 19, 2003, 16:39 Malachii

I (and everyone else I play with ONLY play ctf on desert combat. To me, conquest is absolutely BORING. CTF with 2 good teams is hard as hell and I we have some great fun and it really does take good teamwork to grab the flag and make it back to your base.

16. No CTF! That sucks! Nov 19, 2003, 16:33 jimnms

I've never played DM or TDM, but CTF in BF1942 (DC) rocks on a properly set up server. It combines everything from conquest type games, and adds the extra challenge of guarding and capturing a flag.

Steam Profile

15. Too bad. Nov 19, 2003, 15:35 Azraelot

I loved CTF, especially in Desert Combat. It was fucking tough to get a cap, but when you did, you really felt that it was an accomplishment. I remember getting a cap on the big-ass desert map; Gazala I think it is, where I stormed out of the Iraqi base in one of their jeep vehicles and had to dodge helicopter missiles until one of my aircraft came along to bail me out. The Bocage was also especially fun.

In its favor, CTF distilled the action that's normally dispersed across a huge map into two loci where everything, by design, took place. If you're really hardcore about actually accomplishing something, then Desert Combat CTF probably isn't for you, but I always found it to be more exciting than vanilla Conquest mode. In my experience, Conquest usually winds up with one team dominating the other, which leads to a mass of newbs jumping ship to the better team, which leads to even more lopsidedness, &c. Evolution sounds like it'll just encourage this. It'll be interesting to see if they handicap the team that's on top after the first map. I'm not even sure what the point of holding scores over from map to map is, without the kind of experience system that Enemy Territory has. Maybe there is experience? That'd be cool.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

14. Re: Gotta have it... Nov 19, 2003, 14:52 Randy

Well Battlefield is one game that actually was different from all the other fps clones out there. CTF and TDM wont be missed. I honestly cant imagine why people even play on the straight DM maps. Guess the slower people have to play somewhere.

Just recently reloaded Desert Combat, haven't played since it was .2. All I can say is GREAT STUFF. If the previous versions of DC turned you off.. like me.. try this one.. they've toned down the planes so its not crazy like before. One map reminded me of Black Hawk Down. American Helis hovering over shitty towel headed towns with stingers spiraling up.

Iraqis vs. Americans.. love it..

Really looking forward to TRUE helicopters in Battlefield Vietnam though.

13. Re: Gotta have it... Nov 19, 2003, 14:51 Nuhauser

The CTF games are the only ones where people play as a team in my experience, helping out the flag carrier and such. Unless you're in a clan, that is.

12. Gotta have it... Nov 19, 2003, 14:42 MuzixMon

All FPS should ship with DM and CTF, it should be a law! There are some of us out there that like to take a break from the Counter Strike style multiplayer and have a good old fashioned FFA once in a while.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

11. oh well Nov 19, 2003, 14:36 Billy Bob

I've been playing CTF on Basrah's Edge lately, and it's pretty fun. Makes for some intense battles around the flag, and great car chases. Quite exciting when you've got the flag and everyone is chasing you down.
It'll be missed but not that much.

10. Re: Cool! Nov 19, 2003, 13:40 7.62WorldOrder

The reason no one played CTF was because it had a retarded design. You can storm into the enemy's base with guns blazing, kill every single person on the opposite team, run for the flag, and before you can even get there everyone has respawned and is shooting at you again. Rinse and repeat. Perhaps if they put the flag somewhere OTHER than directly on top of the enemy's main spawn point it would be more fun, because there would actually be a chance that you could capture the flag in a game with more than four people.

9. Evolution... Nov 19, 2003, 13:40 Ant

Sounds cool! New game modes are welcomed.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Cool! Nov 19, 2003, 12:42 N

I wonder if they're going to leave in the 'Pinto-style' vehicles, namely the jeeps. There's nothing funnier, and yet more frustrating, than occasionally hitting a little 'edge' and rather than having the jeep get damaged, or even wrecked, it **EXPLODES** into a huge ball of fire, killing those near it.

7. Re: No loss Nov 19, 2003, 12:20 ExcessDan

now hopefully they include objective play like what they had in secret weapons

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

ExcessDan

6. Re: No loss Nov 19, 2003, 12:05 Sty

Nice. Glad they're working towards innovating the game modes. Tired of the cookie-cutter crap (CTF,DM,TDM) in every FPS.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

5. Re: No loss Nov 19, 2003, 11:48 Coolone

makes sense to me, ive only played CTF once, and it wasnt all that great. Good choice IMO

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo