Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So I get a free car detailing from my dealer in exchange for getting my scheduled maintenance there. Considering the borderline gouging this involved, this is a relative form of free, so I'd like to have gotten my money's worth. I'd tell you how many days in a row it rained following the detailing, except there hasn't been a day since then when it hasn't rained. As my pithy buddy devicer would put it, Alanis Morrisette is rolling over in her hot tub.

R.I.P.: Top Hollywood Composer Michael Kamen Dies at Age 55. Thanks Zachary Quarles.

Play Time: mogura2. Thanks Rachel.
Link of the Day: Send Them Back!! Thanks blue (huh?).
Stories of the Day: Man and pay phone rushed to hospital. Thanks Mclewson.
Slashdot | Airspeed Velocity Of An Unladen Swallow.
Liability lawyer's group lists hazardous toys.
Science!: Scientists find mystery particle.
Cool Science, for Adults Only.
Image of the Day: US Army soldiers take rest during patrol in Baghdad suburb. Thanks JTMauney.
Auction of the Day: Antique White Dog Poo. Thanks Rico.
Awesome 36 inch Flat Screen. Thanks JeffW.
Follow-ups: Chess Master and Computer End Series in Tie (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

104. Composer Michael Kamen Dies Nov 24, 2003, 03:03 Shadowcat

*sigh*

55 is FAR too young an age for someone so talented to die

His soundtrack for Terry Gilliam's film "Brazil" is superb, and is my favourite film soundtrack ever (possibly biased by Brazil being my favourite film, but even so...)

R.I.P.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

103. Re: Fingers Nov 21, 2003, 04:58 ExcessDan

heh, my highschool history teacher actually taught us that.. weee

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan

Aaah democracy is surely sweet (except when I appoint myself mayor).

ExcessDan

102. Re: Fingers Nov 20, 2003, 16:21 JediLuke

The two finger salute came from an insult to the french. Since the French considered longbowmen to be peasants they were not worth of a knight to battle so instead the knights cut their two fingers off each hand so they couldnt fire a longbow (effectively placing them out of combat)

No it didn't man. Did you read the previous posts?

~Steve

101. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 15:25 wasrad

but it make me so horney

100. Re: How bad... Nov 20, 2003, 11:14 Armengar

My current Ford Mondeo is the best value car I have EVER had. 150,000 miles later and she is still ticking and going strong although all miles are motorway (freeway) miles at about 30-40,000 a year which may explain that most wear and tear is done in the 10 min warmup. Vauxhalls (Opels?) are pretty crappy over here, Chryslers don't fare very well and neither do new BMWs and Mercs (believe it or not). Check out the JDPower survey for new car surveys.

If I break down on the way home i'm never posting again

EDIT: I clicked edit I swear! not reply....

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 11:14.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

99. Fingers Nov 20, 2003, 11:10 Armengar

The two finger salute came from an insult to the french. Since the French considered longbowmen to be peasants they were not worth of a knight to battle so instead the knights cut their two fingers off each hand so they couldnt fire a longbow (effectively placing them out of combat)

The insult was the longbowmen giving the french the "fingers" to show they still had them and could stick em with arrows if they came any closer.

98. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 11:07 Armengar

$1500 for a 30,000 miler, is that average? For my recent major service (150,000 miles) I had the cambelt changed, 2 fron tyres, wheel alignment check, coolant changed, oil and filters changed and an MOT (the UK compulsory yearly test for roadworthiness). It set me back 350 which is about $600 in todays money - but I didnt go to a dealership, I know this local mechanic who is reasonable (and honest) so I expect a dealership would be closer to 600 or $1000ish. Just wondering about car prices between the pond.

97. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 10:05 Bronco

Wow. Come on now, *if* that was the case, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to provide coherent, persuasive arguments in the form of an intelligent back and forth conversation? wasrad, you come here spouting your politics, but why? To open the world's eyes to atrocity? To garner more support for your political beliefs?

Whatever the reason, your inablity to concede a single point, your attempts to insult and belittle others, and your constant need for attention all come off as desperate, immature, and fanatical. Grow up man. Say something intelligent. Don't celebrate like a giddy little school girl when people are dying. And then, next time, before you post something, remember this is a website devoted to video games.

Very well put. Sound advice for all of us.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org

Retro colors for the unwashed heathens!

-TPFKAS2S

96. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 09:55 Santiago

...is DOWN RIGHT HILARIOUS.

No, no it's not. The whole situation is sad and unfortunate. War and death, even when your side is "winning", is not cause for hilarity. To believe that so comes across as juvenile, to say the least.

it is that you are ignorant, arrogant and naive and it is, in the end, people like you that caused the WTC and Pentegon attacks and the attacks that are to come in the very near future.

Wow. Come on now, *if* that was the case, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to provide coherent, persuasive arguments in the form of an intelligent back and forth conversation? wasrad, you come here spouting your politics, but why? To open the world's eyes to atrocity? To garner more support for your political beliefs?

Whatever the reason, your inablity to concede a single point, your attempts to insult and belittle others, and your constant need for attention all come off as desperate, immature, and fanatical. Grow up man. Say something intelligent. Don't celebrate like a giddy little school girl when people are dying. And then, next time, before you post something, remember this is a website devoted to video games.

-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

95. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 09:45 nin

Are you fighting with him, or flirting with him ?

I was thinking the same thing!

Kinda came outta nowhere...

http://www.blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

94. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 09:37 Enahs

You wanna do the man dance?
Are you fighting with him, or flirting with him ?:)

P.S. I get the reference and all, I just could not pass it up!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

93. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 08:56 nin

Like Balmer?

http://www.blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

92. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 06:23 Trev

Actually, eunichron, the Brits held up their index and middle fingers in defiance. The Brits had the longbows not the crossbows. That's why the British flick people off with two fingers.
The phrase "fuck you" also originates from the time for the same reason. It comes from "pluck ewe" or to pull the string of the bow back.
Just thought I'd make the correction. A Brit told me the story on my trip through Normandy last summer.

Yeah that's folk etymology. A sound change from pl to f is plausible but unlikely. Fuck did originate sometime during the 13th century so links to bows and arrows may not seem too out of line, but true etymology of fuck is not well known. The first written use of fuck, if memory serves me correctly, was in 1503. Ah the joys of historical lingusitics.

Trevor

91. Re: bored? Nothing to do? Nov 20, 2003, 04:10 wasrad

"I bet there are some Russian soldiers who don't appreciate you thinking that the world of their "death and destruction" is so entertaining. "

When people are losing their homes and everything they own because of a natural disaster they could not control, it is not entertaing at all.

Seeing a military that is invading a small country, seeing the BIG AND TOUGH RUSSIAN military, get its ass handed to it once again by such small forces with such out of date technology because Putin decided to take over their land so his puppet masters can secure their financial greed, is DOWN RIGHT HILARIOUS.

See, its not that I am a hypocrite/hippocrite (how ever someone so intellectual as you choses to spell it), it is that you are ignorant, arrogant and naive and it is, in the end, people like you that caused the WTC and Pentegon attacks and the attacks that are to come in the very near future.

Get a clue first, little boy.
This comment was edited on Nov 20, 04:13.

90. Re: Petition for Bullets in Consolidatio Nov 20, 2003, 03:42 JediLuke

Hahaha, that's hilarious... man... Vic B., The Dude Abides.

~Steve

89. Re: Petition for Bullets in Consolidatio Nov 20, 2003, 03:14 ExcessDan

EDIT: Hahaha, the dude, yes! He's funny because he "MAKES NO SENSE" and puts WEIRD things in "quotes" and CAPS!!!!! WOOHOO!

and make up grammar lessons for me that had no basis of truth
i haven't seen him since a couple of us taught him the true meaning of a simile

------------
Love Dan

Sign the petition for Blue to use bullets in Consolidation! Do your part to stop the discrimination against console gamers today!
http://www.petitiononline.com/bluecon/petition.html

ExcessDan

88. Re: Politics Schmolitics Nov 20, 2003, 03:02 Halsy

I know this will get a rise out of Halsy

Why would I that get a rise out of me? It only demonstrates that Bush-like any president-has a good speechwriting team. He's probably the only president-besides Ford-who doesn't understand his own speeches however.

As for the MA thing. It's typical semantical games under the law. What is "marriage"? A rose by any other name...
The fact remains, who gives a shit? This isn't about some venerable institution it's about fear and hatemongering. Why are the most perverse sexual acts imaginable ok so long as they're committed by 2 consenting hetrosexuals, and good old meat and potatoes sex between two gay people isn't to be permitted?
Get the fuck over it already and put that energy into something worthwhile like solving the homless issue or world poverty. Jesus, talk about fucked up priorities.

Incest is different. You tend to end up with hillbillies like Dumbya as a result of inbreeding. Unless you want a world full of banjo pickin', city slicker rapin' hillbillies, you may want to keep incest illegal.

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

87. Re: How bad... Nov 20, 2003, 02:55 Tony!!!

Has anyone bid on the white dog poo yet?

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

86. Re: Petition for Bullets in Consolidatio Nov 20, 2003, 01:50 JediLuke

...The Brits had the longbows not the crossbows. That's why the British flick people off with two fingers...

Yea, come on man, I knew that was myth as soon as I read your post. Maybe just because I read snopes a whole lot, even though I'd never heard that particular tale.

~Steve

EDIT: Rather, not that particular post, just all these middle-finger origin stories.
This comment was edited on Nov 20, 01:50.

85. Re: Petition for Bullets in Consolidatio Nov 20, 2003, 01:37 JediLuke

Now that could be funny.

We could have guest speakers, I vote for the dude and JediLuke!

Excellent. I will also bring my band and provide entertainment in the form of rock and roll.

~Steve

EDIT: Hahaha, the dude, yes! He's funny because he "MAKES NO SENSE" and puts WEIRD things in "quotes" and CAPS!!!!! WOOHOO!

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 01:52.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo