Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 2 Demo

A demo for Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is now available, offering the chance to sample Remedy Entertainment's recently released third-person noir shooter sequel. The demo features the first three levels from the game, as well as a dead man walking level that must be unlocked. The 246 MB download is available from Rockstar Games, and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush, FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), GameTab, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. 3 levels? Nov 18, 2003, 00:11 Stuart

3 levels? Isn't that half the game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2003, 00:05 John

Hey #12 - there is more than one ending.

#16 - What other ending is there?

This space is available for rent

29. Another mirror Nov 17, 2003, 23:43 trog

Australian Mirror:
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/9359

28. No subject Nov 17, 2003, 23:10 RazorWynd

asshole physics rule...

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

http://www.firingsquad.com

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

27. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 22:48 Surfer

You should try and beat the game on the hardest difficulty level. You might feel better about things.

26. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 22:34 eunichron

I use a modified BT client called SHADOW's Experimental client. It has all the same features as Elke Frost's Experimental client (throttles for upload and download, more information displayed), but has a ton more stuff added, more config options, and more information available. I got crap performance with the original BT client (and because my router sucks having to upload at full speed would kill my connection, but don't worry, you can't set the client to not upload, if you set it too low it will cap your download speed), but I've gotten speeds upwards around 200-220 KB/s with Shadow's little client.

You can download the Win32 install here: http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/download.html

25. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 22:21 Enahs

I'm all for it in theory but the performance is utterly ridiculous.

You might try configuring your bit torrent client, or get one that is configurable.
I know some of them, by default only try to get data from 4 users, and if all of those happen to be crappy output modem users, you are screwed. By either configuring it, or getting one you can, you might get better results.

But it is never reliable, unless A LOT of people are on it. The other problem is, we are getting multiple torrents for the same freakin game file, which means instead of say 1000 people sharing bandwidth, you might have 3 groups of 333 people, or such, which hurts performance as well.

Try configuring/getting one that is configurable, and try again sometime, when a lot of “seeds” are available.

But I gotta say, this is the first demo I have seen in a LOOOONG time hosted by the distributor! And even on a decent capacity server too! Gotta give them kudos for that, most people seem to totally rely on gaming sites for the first crunch rush!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

24. Re: harrumph! Nov 17, 2003, 22:14 eunichron

The resuts were that it's better to have a good game that's short, than a long game that sucks.
I'm all for quality over quantity, but not when I can beat a game the same day I buy it, and not even trying to. It's ok if developers want to do that, but the publishers are fucking insane if they think people should shell out $40-50 (that's in-store retail price, I realize MP2 and CoD can be had at online sellers for ~$30) for six hours of entertainment, and no worthwhile reason to keep the game installed after completing it.

So in summary, quality instead of quantity is good, assuming the consumer gets a fair deal economically.
This comment was edited on Nov 17, 22:15.

23. bit torrent being slow... Nov 17, 2003, 21:58 jeremiah

it takes awhile to kick in for me, ymmv though. really depends on how many seeds there are as well.

22. Re: Hey! Nov 17, 2003, 21:57 Tony!!!

Oh Goody! I'm going to download this right now. Finally, A break from the hellish existence that is my life.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

21. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 21:56 JediLuke

Nexus: Sounds like you haven't completed the game on hard

~Steve

20. Hey! Nov 17, 2003, 21:33 WR417H

This is pretty good. Im liking it. Get it!

19. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 21:12 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Doh I had to set my firewall to allow BT access to the net.

Damn this thing is SLOW. I guess the more people that share it the faster the downloads become?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

18. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 20:58 glambaz

This is the second time I've tried BitTorrent and I have to say I'm about to give up on it. I'm getting around 6 kb/s download while uploading around 20 kb/s. I have a cable connection that usually runs around 350 kb/s download speed. I'm all for it in theory but the performance is utterly ridiculous.

17. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 20:32 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

Hmm tried BitTorrent but got this error message:

Problem Connecting to Tracker -<urlopen error (10061, 'connection refused')>

Am I doing something wrong?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

16. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2003, 20:31 Narf2029

Hey #12 - there is more than one ending.

--Infantryman
Proud to be part of the ACASM.

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15. No subject Nov 17, 2003, 20:16 Bunko

Start the Torrent Train!

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

14. Re: harrumph! Nov 17, 2003, 20:06 Hobeaux

Last week's episode of G4TV.com posed the question, "which is better: quality or length?"

The resuts were that it's better to have a good game that's short, than a long game that sucks.

It's a juggling match, people. If you go for quantity over quality then your game either suffers from being unrefined, or it takes so long to develop that by the time it comes out (if it does) that it get's panned as being "yesterday's technology".

so, which would you rather have?

(and no, this doesn't have anything to do with that vaporware game DNF)

13. Re: FilePlanet Mirror Nov 17, 2003, 19:41  Blue 

You were send a link to the FilePlanet mirror of the MP2 demo the instant it was available. I waited an hour, but no link lovin' for the ol' FP. :-(

Shoot, I'm sorry about missing that reply... I checked for it for a while, but obviously not enough.

Clearly your mails are being blocked. The 3DG mail server has some aggressive filters in there (it's on my todo list to figure out a more egalitarian way to get my mail, but there's only so much time in the day). OTOH, you must not be using the mail server your GSI compatriots are, as they seem to be able to get through.

In the meantime, I'll cease assuming that you are playing with my head and put your link in the story.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 19:45.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. No subject Nov 17, 2003, 19:38 Nexus

You know what I found dissapointing about Max payne 2? (spoilers in secret text)

In the first game, your family die fairly early on and there's nothing you can do about it, you go through the rest of the game essentially trying to get revenge (satisfying to an extent)

In the second game, things get better as you go through the game, as you get closer to those who are trying to screw your life up again, then, at the end, you get that massive downer. You end the game feeling that you're now in a worse position than you spent most of the game in, and worse, it's mostly the fault of the character you were playing (ish). You could be happier *not* finishing the final level, and that's a bad thing. I'm wishing I hadn't finished Max Payne 2, and I don't want to play #3 if they do it in case they do that sort of thing again.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo