Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've seen in-game debates about spawn-camping in Battlefield 1942, and whether or not it's a legitimate tactic, or even whether such a thing can be even considered to exist. These debates combined with server messages I've seen ranging from those that forbid such incursions to those that suggest that there's no such thing as spawn-camping have inspired some curiosity to see if other BF1942 players had opinions to share on this subject. I've always considered it poor form to rush the other team's non-takeable base, but I do have to admit that with nothing designed into the game to prevent it whatsoever, it seems hard to make much of a case against it. I'm especially curious to know if the designers at DICE have ever sounded-off on this topic.

Play Time: Racing Game.
Paris Hilton Flash Game
. Thanks Anna.
3 Foot Ninja. Thanks markus friedl.
Link of the Day: The Greatest Album Covers That Never Were.
Stories of the Day: Southern drawl beats recognition system.
Acxiom Opts Out of Opt-Out.
Science!: Memory and emotion.
Keep Your Brain From Going to Pot.
Eating at night myth 'exploded'.
Auction of the Day: Imaginary Online GIRLFRIEND. Thanks Wowbagger_TIP.
Image of the Day: Kiss me you fool! Thanks Sid Rosenberg.
Follow-up: Concorde sell-off goes supersonic.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

76. Re: BF 1942 Camping Nov 18, 2003, 21:14 cepheid

---
i think i got banned from arsclan because i accidentally shot a clan member once and apparently accidents DON'T happen

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan
---

I doubt that was the exact situation.
Regardless, we have a public admins forum for these types of situations. Our admins are very fair on kicks and bans.
Along with that, my email is available.

www.arsclan.net
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: SC'ing Nov 18, 2003, 15:49 =TFM=Melvin

Yeah BicycleRepairMan, "Maps and game-mode should be designed in such a way that spawncamping doesnt pay or is just too hard or useless to do".

Your later point about "It gets even more bizarre that the so called spawncamper knows excactly where people will pop out of thin air" is especially valid on the smaller maps with tighter respawn zones. At uncapturable bases, it just seems lame that people aren't allowed to respawn and live more than 1 second. Luckily, this situation doesn't happen much.

However, it seems clear that the designers did intend some sort of base camping at the larger uncapturable bases. Or, rather battles at the bases. For instance, the main bases on El Alamein and Gazala are huge with many buildings. I assume with all the cover, there is a thought that there could be fighting there.

BTW, RO sounds like a cool mod. Too bad my ancient PC can't run UT2k3.

74. Re: WHO CARES Nov 18, 2003, 14:16 BicycleRepairMan

well in case you havent noticed, "respawning" doesnt happen in real life. shitty thing that, but true. What I'm sayin is, that, ofcourse respawning brings in something very unnatural in the game, and the point is , when you meet your enemies in war, your atleast trying to be prepared, death can still come quick ofcourse, but usually your not executed at birth.
It gets even more bizarre that the so called spawncamper knows excactly where people will pop out of thin air, and with a bit of training, even when they will come..

As Ive said before, this have to be countered by the design of the game or map, so it will seem that the other team actually comes from somewhere believable..

Red Orchestra http://www.unrealwarfarex.com/redorchestra/ Best. game. ever.

73. Re: WHO CARES Nov 18, 2003, 13:39 WebDemon

Spawn camping was a shitty thing in games like Quake but this game is all about keeping the opposing force at bay. If someone is popping heads as soon as they spawn in then that blows, but camping a base and killing poeple before they can leave it is fine. It's war, you're not really suppose to have the oppotunity to get back up once you've been knocked down. Fair tactic. The way some people whine on servers makes me think that the U.S. is going to pull out of Baghdad any day now because of all the campers.

72. Re: you can't stop idiots Nov 18, 2003, 12:18 cepheid

"It's all about selling you the NEXT product for EA, not supporting the current one properly."

Sad but so so true.
This is why id and valve will always have games that last years, sometimes close to a decade and other publishers like EA and Sierra that have no opportunity to milk games until the next 'big thing'.

www.arsclan.net

71. Re: No subject Nov 18, 2003, 10:30  Blue 

think we'll ever see a Mr. Pants' excessive Desert Combat overkill??

LOL -- rapid-fire Stingers... I want!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

70. Re: BF 1942 Camping Nov 18, 2003, 10:13 [WDT]TardFarmer

On my server Wisconsin Death Trip 204.248.112.10 spawncamping is allowed as long as people stay back a ways. I have often found that spawn camping can lead to the camping teams demise. Because usually one or two players can escape and cap a spawn a long ways away and then can proceed to cap many other flags before the camping team is able to pull players away from the camping position. We made up a web page for expected behavior on our servers. http://www.wisconsindeathtrip.org/Serverrules.html  
There is no pain in death it only hurts to die....

69. No subject Nov 18, 2003, 08:44 Hump

Random thought:

think we'll ever see a Mr. Pants' excessive Desert Combat overkill??

yeow!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Freedom Fighters, FragOps, CoD, Halo MP, DC .5. Hotly Anticipating: Armed & Dangerous, SWAT: Urban Ops, Firestarter, UT2004.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

68. Re: BF 1942 Camping Nov 18, 2003, 08:31 sc4r4b

Creamy-- I think we are all there to have fun. Granted, some are more competitive than others. I will admit, I yell out "TEAMS?" only when the other team has twice (x2) as many people or more. I don't expect it to be even. (Hell, I like it when the other team has more people because that means I will get to see more action.) But let's be honest man, it is not fun to play a game where the other team has twice as many people and they are base-camping your spawn point. When that happens I just leave and try to find another server.

BTW anyone know of any good BF1942:SW servers? I try to play on :iCe:House because there is normally an admin online but they are currently running the DC mod, and well, we already know how I feel about that...

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

67. Re: First post...old Trial Bike Pro game Nov 18, 2003, 07:54 ExcessDan

Dan to the rescue!

http://www.dnainternet.fi/pelit/english/

all i did was search for "bike" on the site

p.s. i hate this game

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 07:56.

ExcessDan

66. First post...old Trial Bike Pro game Nov 18, 2003, 00:53 Coolmo

Ok, this question will be for the truly hardcore. I've been coming to bluesnews nearly everyday for the past few years now, and I've never really had a reason to post... but I just couldn't let this one slide... there's a game at www.miniclip.com called Trial Bike Pro. I believe several months back (possibly a year or more) bluesnews posted a link to the full game in the "out of the blue" section (I seem to remember it being on a non-english website). I've become addicted to the demo at miniclip, but I'm really itching to play the whole thing (without the $$ if possible)... does anyone remember where to find this link? I've tried searching but I don't remember what it was called... Any help to quench this gaming thirst would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

65. Re: BF 1942 Camping Nov 18, 2003, 00:05 CreamyBlood

Ya, spawn camping mostly happens in BF when the teams are uneven and I've noticed it to be very rare for people to even the teams when you ask them.

In almost ten years of playing online games I've never screamed out TEAMS! Or asked people to even the teams for that matter. I just switch, join the underdogs and kick ass. I stopped caring about points long ago and just want to have fun.

I figure if the teams are unbalanced and it's annoying you, don't expect someone else to do it for you, do it yourself!

CreamyBlood

64. Spawn-campin' n0obs! Nov 17, 2003, 21:44 LEVIATHAN

I think it's only really appropriate, or at least tolerable to spawn-camp a team's un-capturable base, if your team is perhaps losing, or a little lower in score, and it's part of a come-back or something, maybe.... Other than that, it's just simply annoying when I can't spawn because some guy is sitting about 100 yards off with a tank, continuously hosing us with artillery rounds... Makes me curse VERY LOUDLY, and it makes me want to stop playing the game...

63. Re: The Matrix Nov 17, 2003, 20:20 Bunko

RO is also in desperate need of players ATM..
I'll probably picking up a copy of UT2k3 soon so I can try out RO. It's only $18 at the local EB, so why not? RO does look pretty good and you seem to love it.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

62. you can't stop idiots Nov 17, 2003, 19:41 HoSpanky

if there was an option for server admins to set un-cappable base spawns as "invincible for xx seconds", it'd solve the problem. simple as that. it'd take maybe 5 minutes of programming time. YES, coordinated teams can get out of a base press all by themselves, but when it's an open server, you don't GET coordinated teams...you get jumbles of idiots, jerks, newbs, and some decent players. you can't expect more than 3 or 4 people to actually start working together unless they're a clan. it's a newbie option, for sure, but it'd make playing a "jump in cause I like this map" game a whole lot more fun.

I'm almost willing to bet that the idea's already gone around, and that it'll be in BF:Vietnam. there's several "duh!" options that WILL be in BF:V (like the more guys you have around a flag, the faster it captures) that they won't add to 1942. It's all about selling you the NEXT product for EA, not supporting the current one properly.

61. Re: The Matrix Nov 17, 2003, 19:25 glambaz

I think spawn camping can largely be eliminated by good map design and proper placement of spawns. For example, while playing Gazala on DC the other day, a Coalition soldier stole a Shilka, parked it at the edge of the Iraqi runway and mowed down players spawning just inside the hangar. Players had no chance to do anything other than to hope they spawned elsewhere at the base. Had the spawn points been placed in the rooms in the back of the hangar this could not have happened. An example of good spawn placement is DC Basrah Night where players spawn in buildings or generally out of the way alleys. You have time to take cover before being shot at.

Blue: I played EoD last night for about 4 hours (had been playing DC a lot lately). I always forget how good it is! The best infantry fighting by far in the BF family of games.

60. Re: The Matrix Nov 17, 2003, 19:11 BicycleRepairMan

But my real mod bummer is how EoD (my favorite mod) seems basically dead since the last BF1942 patch

I tried the 10% release (the first one), wasnt bad, Its time to check it out again.. how'bout we make a deal, I'll try EoD, and youll try Red Orchestra, RO is also in desperate need of players ATM..

59. SC'ing Nov 17, 2003, 19:01 BicycleRepairMan

Spawncamping Is a problem, but i think its an almost pure game/map design problem, lets face it. If spawncamping works effectivly to win a map, then theres just something wrong. Sure, you can still claim its "lame" and all that, but on the other hand "staying back to give the other team a chance" isnt really good either, is it? thats the sort of "tactics" you use if you play-fight with someone smaller than you, like kids, you just let them win a bit..

Its not the sort of thing you'd do if youre actually trying to win a war(eh.. game) Maps and game-mode should be designed in such a way that spawncamping doesnt pay or is just too hard or useless to do

In the oh-so excellent game I cant stop talking about, Red Orchestra, there are some maps that are just IMPOSSIBLE to SC on , such as RO_Stanislalovo, where the natural frontline is being constantly moved back and forth, you really need to work as a team to push the enemy backwards, and it just works so great. real frantic, even tho its a very open outdoor map.

58. Re: The Matrix Nov 17, 2003, 18:51  Blue 

On another note, I tried to get into Desert Combat... It's not my thing. My frame rate went to shit...

Same here... I'm holding off on that one until I see release notes that say something like: "rather than adding a ton of new stuff this time, we've focused on balance and optimization." Unfortunately every release is the opposite, something to the effect of "we added more stuff, but it's not really optimized yet."

I think it is pretty revealing that there's a whole section of the release notes for the Battlecraft 1942 editor on how it can't open most DC maps because they are too large.

Too bad too, 'cause I really enjoy taking out choppers with stingers.

But my real mod bummer is how EoD (my favorite mod) seems basically dead since the last BF1942 patch. Dan Taylor's maps are phenomenal.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

57. Re: The Matrix Nov 17, 2003, 18:27 sc4r4b

Spawn Camping is OK, IF your team owns all the flags on the map. Once my team owns the whole map I go to the base and do my best to keep the enemy from organizing an effective assault on the flags we own.

However, I find it is in poor taste in the name of Fun and Enjoyable gameplay to go strait to the other teams spawn right away at the start and blast em all to hell, not even giving them time to do anything but die and not have fun.

Now some people think that any form of spawn camping is low. However, this IS war. If a team can't capture and hold flags on the map, they WILL be destroyed. I find it retarded that so many people will bypass spawning at flags and choose the base instead. That is just poop strategy and doesn't help the team with the objective of the game, which is CONTROL THOSE FLAGS!!!

I agree with what Tony!!! said.

Funny this topic came up because I was just bitching thinking about it this weekend.

On another note, I tried to get into Desert Combat... It's not my thing. My frame rate went to shit, the weapons do not seem to be balanced, and the servers were full of kiddie teamkillers.

the best part about life is knowing you put it together

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo