Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Registered SWON Demo & Subscriber Lords of EQ Beta

The Secret Weapons Over Normandy Website now has details on the limited release of a demo for LucasArts World War II aerial combat game (thanks XCP Blud). Enduring some martial music and following a couple of links leads to this FilePlanet Page where we learn that this is another of those registration-only dealies, and to install the demo on a single machine, a registration key made available during the download must be used. Likewise, the opportunity for paid participation in the beta testing of Lords of EverQuest is being presented to paying subscribers of both FilePlanet and FileShack (one-time leaders in the campaign against the subscriber-only Call of Duty demo (story)).

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: You're all missing something Nov 16, 2003, 11:50 MonsieurEvil

Utter nonsense to think that paying for file downloads from a service provider somehow making you a better beta tester. There is no relationship. Trust me: a lot more people wanted to play CS 1.6 and play LoE than want to play Call of Duty. And a lot more people were prevented from doing so due to shacknews hypocrisy. Note that I only consider hypocrisy due to the holier-than-thou attitude that Steve G. and Co. took when they started the fileplanet COD boycott (read: extortion against Activision). Once you do something like that, you need to back up your words with actions. He's just as bad as anyone, and probably worse due to the phony pandering - don't encourage him by excusing the bad behavior

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 11:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. controls Nov 16, 2003, 10:43 Marvin T. Martian

I tracked Pleahy down to the official ez board over at Totally Games http://pub30.ezboard.com/bofficialtotallygamesboard
Found This
Hi Stiener,

We did not add any force feedback support to SWON, only vibration. As far as I know, the Logitech was not tested with the game, though depending on the button configuration it may/may not work correctly. There are several button configurations, but those are geared toward the gamepad. (I personally prefer the old school XBox controller, but mainly because I have large hands )

Of course, the PC version will have full button configurability, as we figure most people on PC will want to use a flightstick as opposed to a gamepad. (Though that of course is still possible. We used a Thrustmaster pad while developing PC, which is pretty much analogous to the PS2 pad as far as button setup goes.)

Thanks,
Ryan
SO that's my issue NO FFB SUPPORT in the game. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!! NO MP. Console game trying to run on a PC imho. So no purchase from me or my clan.

15. You're all missing something Nov 16, 2003, 09:00 node

The difference here between the Call of Duty demo and the Lord of Everquest *BETA* is the beta bit. It's not out for people to try, it's out for people to test, therefore they want a limited number of users, ideally of the computer/game literate variety. In which case using a file subscription service makes sense.

The issue with CoD was a) It was meant to be a public demo b) Everyone wanted to play CoD it so the FP servers were bound to get hosed with mile long queues if that was exclusve, which is dumb.

14. Re: LOE Limited Public Beta Nov 16, 2003, 00:22 Krovven

I got their registration right here *makes a rude gesture*

As a FilePlanet subscriber, I am all for subscriber only Beta's. I am not however in favor of subscriber only demo's. Demo's should goto everyone.

13. Re: LOE Limited Public Beta Nov 15, 2003, 23:26 Halsy

I got their registration right here *makes a rude gesture*

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do not operate, there is no reality."
- Mr. Spock

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

12. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 23:09 nin

Hmm, if you look at the Fileplanet page, there's a 'poster' shot...someone wanna tell me why there's a Japanese Zero getting shot down over Normandy?

ummmm...glitch in the matrix?

http://www.coldplay.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 22:42 Rigs

Hmm, if you look at the Fileplanet page, there's a 'poster' shot...someone wanna tell me why there's a Japanese Zero getting shot down over Normandy?

=-Rigs-=

'Is it the man come to take me away? Why do they follow me? Itís not the future that I can see, Itís just my fantasy.'

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

10. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 21:07 Marvin T. Martian

I have a usb MS Force Feedback II. The stick flops around without any force back at all. I checked my settings in the control panel and set up a profile for the game. I had strong feedback on all actions. In the game--nothing--no shake, no rattle, no pressure,no self centering ect. even with the game settings for FFB on high.The stick works without a problem in every other game I use it on (flying and racing)I was quoting from the troubleshooting docs
"USB Devices
When using USB devices on your system, you may occasionally hear static and distortion in audio or you may experience slow downs and hitching in the game. This occurs because USB devices require a percentage of the CPUís processing time to run. Windows allocates 100% of the CPU to the programs that are running, such as Secret Weapons Over Normandy, while some USB devices take up to 10% of the CPU, thus trying to use 110% of the resources."

9. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 18:40  Pleahy 

Yeah the game like all of Totally Games work is an action combat game not a heavy duty flight simulation -- goign back to the original Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffee. What TG does is dogfighting goodness. However, there are some settings for the game to turn up the relaism they can be found in the options menu. I'd suggest you poke around and try and find the right balance of the options in there. Previewers actually have totally missed these options and not sure how well they are highlighted in the demo documentation.

Peter

8. LOE Limited Public Beta Nov 15, 2003, 18:37 Darren "Dakota" Tabor

The LOE Beta on FilePlanet was opened to the public on Friday afternoon.

7. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 18:36  Pleahy 

The game was tested on several USB sticks and Gamepads. Not sure what your issue is with your stick/gamepad so let me know what you have so I can research it.

Team tested on all the latest sticks and dual sticked gamepads available from retail and web stores -- all were USB. never heard any complaint from one of the testers or myself -- one of the developers.

6. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 15:56 Marvin T. Martian

Ya you can download it, but you also get an activation code that must be entered and it installs something called ez-pad(????) first then you have to be on line to play the demo cause you have to enter the 'code'to let the demo run. Sweet Mary!! Help us!!
If you got a USB stick--you are fried. Quote-(well sort of)-the game takes 100% resources, USB Force Feedback may need 10% of resources, that =110%. So my force feedback works like crap on this game. They suggest a serial or game port stick. Now I am not buying another stick--LUCAS FIX YOUR CODE FOR USB!!!!!
and it appears that there will be NO MP PLAY for the PC version. Too bad, I liked the game but for those 2 reasons alone--the wallet stays closed.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 15:57.

5. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 15:27 indiv

And shacknews/fileshack gets the 'Hypocrite of the Year' award. Well done, lads. What's next, Johnny Rotten advertising hair gel?

Yeah, no kidding. Doesn't really surprise me, though. Those shacknews/fileshack people have always seemed a bit shady to me.

And Blue, you forgot one more parentheses on the last line of the post (at the end of the sentence, right before the period).

Edit: it was fixed.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 15:41.

4. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 15:17 GraphicFoxx

I don't think I'll be getting this one. Basically the developers took X-Wing, and threw in some WW2 style models and scenery into the game. The planes handle just like the X-Wing games, and it just feels odd. Definitely no IL-2 here. Good for arcade fans though.

3. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 15:04 MonsieurEvil

And shacknews/fileshack gets the 'Hypocrite of the Year' award. Well done, lads. What's next, Johnny Rotten advertising hair gel?

2. Re: Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 14:41  Blue 

Got the registered dealie mixed up with a subscriber dealie at first -- sorry about that.

Can't tell the dealies around here without a scorecard... and maybe a lawyer.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Secret Weapons Nov 15, 2003, 14:21 StarHawk

where we learn that this is another of those paid subscriber-only dealies

Are you sure about that? I'm downloading it from their non-subscriber server now.

Which I just cancelled after remembering this one wasn't going to have multiplayer.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 14:25.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo