Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pirates! in Q4 2004

When plans for Sid Meier's Pirates!, the upcoming remake of the famed designer's famed high seas game, were announced (story), the only release date indicated at the time was "next year" (2004). Now some posts to the Cutlass Isle Forums indicate that it looks like the upcoming seafaring remake will have a Q4 2004 release. Here's a bit of what Atari's Jeff Foley has to say: "As it is, we aren't doing much PR work or awareness building right now, since it would just get lost in the clutter of holiday season advertising and stories. Look for things to begin to ramp up in the first half of next year, as we head towards an end of 2004 launch date." Thanks Falconer.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Awesome Nov 11, 2003, 03:01 Xard

I dunno. I like Port Royale alright, however, I wouldn't consider it better than Pirates by any length. For me, the ship battles were too... weird. Just, not being able to use the keyboard at all to steer seems so strange after becoming a keyboard master with Pirates! Gold and PotC.

I'd like to try "Pirate Hunter" to see how that works, the trading was ok in Port Royale, however, it was far too involved for me to get into anything else, and letters of Marque were too hard to get and keep.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Hooray! Nov 11, 2003, 01:26 Muscular Beaver

And Amiga. And PC.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

7. Re: Hooray! Nov 10, 2003, 22:08 qster

I'll be happy to see it too.. I tottaly loved pirates on my c64

6. Re: Awesome Nov 10, 2003, 20:44 Creston

Hotdamn, that's another full YEAR of waiting...

It had better be damn good if they're going to make us wait that long. I'd gladly settle for the exact same gameplay, exact same maps with a current day graphics engine.

Creston

5. Re: Awesome Nov 10, 2003, 16:15 snide

For those who need a pirate fix till then I recommend Port Royale. Got released earlier this year and is quite similar to the old pirates game. They also just recently released a fighting only version called Pirate Hunter. Personally I like the trading love of Port Royale, but some may just want some swashbuckling action.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave

dave snider
comicvine.com

4. Awesome Nov 10, 2003, 14:06 Bludd

I can't wait.

I played Pirates of the Caribbean and while it was okay, it had some problems like inconsistent controls, incredibly steep learning curve (in part because of the controls) and that it was too easy to die.
Also you couldn't really swashbuckle in it (jumping, swinging from ropes and stuff, strafing).

Here's to Pirates! being the best piratin' game ever! Yarrrr!

3. Hooray! Nov 10, 2003, 11:25 Geese

Whenever it comes out, I'll be there. Just glad to see it happen!

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

2. I surrender! Nov 10, 2003, 11:24 Xard

I dunno, Firaxis is pretty cool sometimes.

I just hope it works out better than Civilization 3 did. Honestly, Reynolds worked the design so well, just needed a few more things and it would've been perfect, but Civ 3, IMHO, pushed the series back as much as it brought it forwards. Culture? Cool. HORRIBLE CORRUPTION OMG? Bad. A host of other cool little things? Cool. Getting rid of the HP/FP system? Bad.

You can disagree with me, but I just had a lot more good times playing Civ 2 than Civ 3. Maybe it's been patched and has since become infinitely better, but, I haven't picked it back up yet, and I doubt I will.

1. Q4 2004 release? Not likely Nov 10, 2003, 11:00 nightfend

That release date just screams Q2 2005. Everyone wants the holiday release date, very few developers ever make the deadline.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo