Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NFS: Underground Gold

EA sends word that the latest installment in the Need for Speed series is gold, and will be racing into North American stores on November 17. Here's the news:

EA today announced that Need for Speed Underground has gone gold. The game will begin to ship in North America on November 17 under the EA GAMES brand for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, Xbox video game system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube and PC.

Need for Speed Underground thrusts players into the adrenaline-filled world of urban racing, challenging gamers to win cash, cars and respect as they put their driving skills to the test in their own fully-customizable urban exotic supercar. The game features 20 of the most sought-after tuner cars from manufactures including Nissan Motor Co., Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi Motors. Gamers will be able to customize their cars with hundreds of aftermarket parts from 52 manufacturers, including NOS, Sparco, HKS, and more.

The game also features online play for the PlayStation 2 (broadband connection and network adaptor required) and PC and even allows the two platforms to seamlessly compete online for the ultimate in bragging rights.

A demo of the PC version of the game and more information is available at: www.needforspeed.com

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: CONSOLE ??? !!! Nov 10, 2003, 14:25 John

Yeah.. real funny.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. CONSOLE ??? !!! Nov 9, 2003, 11:40 Killer Kane

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA he said console....HA AHA AH AHA HA AHAH HA HA ...."better frame rates " ?! HA HA HA AHA HA HA HA .....DOH !!!!!!!!!!!! i fart in your general direction , console puppy

39. rofl Nov 8, 2003, 23:18 Muscular Beaver

I just read that people who have very low drag times said that you have to use the NOS from the 1st gear to the 3rd. this is awesome. if this would be a real tuned 280+ HP car and a 100 or 150 NOS shot you would be standing still at the start line if you would use NOS in anything under the 4th gear. now I really know that this game is just some childish shit.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

38. Keyboard. Nov 8, 2003, 21:45 Alak

Oh I know my 130 key, keyboard pretty well. I love the fact it has so many hot keys in games that you have to find one by one. But sorry your minds are too advanced and can't comprehend the Absolute Simpleness of an Xbox controller. I mean, I can do twice as much, twice as fast in Rainbow Six 3 for XBOX as I can on PC. But then again, Im a sucker because 8 Buttons are quicker than 130, and I figured out how to use a console controller. Too bad you didnt take time out of your busy 'studying your keyboard' shedule to learn how to use a console. You should, it pays off to know everything.

Man you guys are soooo easy to work up, this is getting fun!

37. No subject Nov 8, 2003, 14:24 Percolator Fish

No XBox Live play? To hell with EA's games.

36. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 11:23 cia

Pirates of the Carribean - perfect example of how rotten console influence turned this game into a walking pile of shit. Console controls are for button mashing morons - nothing beats a mouse/keyboard combo and customizable controls - nothing!

35. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 10:34 Number{9}

> But a console game is different from a PC game. In a PC game, I expect the game to take advantage of the relative sophistication of the platform and to adhere to its traditions in terms of look and feel. This is why ports from console to PC almost invariably suck, and the same goes (to a somewhat lesser extent) for games like this that are released on the PC and consoles.

FFXI for instance. The keyboard and mouse control scheme was driving me nuts. I hooked up my DualShock and used the default control scheme. Now it is controlled the way it was design to be.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a fredster boiled in acid and dipped in wax" fanclub.

-------------------
Ignore me!!!

34. drag racing Nov 8, 2003, 06:09 SM0k3

drag racing is the only thing ill probably play otherwise the game sucks IMO just a bunch of rice burners. LOL

33. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 04:12 Muscular Beaver

go stay with your console if you dont like 125 buttons on your keyboard and up to 8 additional on your mouse. omg, I guess your brain would explode if you would have an multimedia keyboard with more than 125 keys! damn, the reset and power switch on the PC and monitor also counts! wtf! omg!

ok serious, games for consoles are only made for one simple console that wont be different if you buy another of it. so everyone has the same and that makes it MUCH more efficient to program games for it. just because there arent thousands of possible combos of hardware. you know, PCs werent invented for games. I thought everyone would know that by now... "way ahead of PCs", almost laughed something off...

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 04:13.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

32. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 03:20 wasrad

hey man, one of the many reasons I prefer feeding my gaming needs through the PC is because of the fact that there are so many buttons. Try hypothetically playing an RTS on a console against someone on a PC or a FPS like OFP. Hardcore Flight Sims anyone? You couldnt play IL-2 on a console without a special controller that they would over charge you for and it wouldnt even be CH or TM quality.

Anotherwords, dont rag the buttons, just admidt you suck at memorizing, sucker bitch.

31. what they say....gold? Nov 8, 2003, 03:14 wasrad

Ive read that NFS:U is more of a brownish color with yellow spots and in areas a slightly shaded green.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 03:22.

30. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 02:24 Tom

Ok, I like consoles and many console games. They do have advantages such as generally being simpler, more stable, and having a nice controller that you can hold in your hand and use from the sofa. But a console game is different from a PC game. In a PC game, I expect the game to take advantage of the relative sophistication of the platform and to adhere to its traditions in terms of look and feel. This is why ports from console to PC almost invariably suck, and the same goes (to a somewhat lesser extent) for games like this that are released on the PC and consoles.

NFS: PU and its predecessors were good PC games. NFS:HP2 was mediocrity at its best, and this most recent NFS looks to be more of the same...

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 02:25.

29. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 02:03 Alak

What is this, looks like a console game thing. Just because it seems not to match upto pc games in options and features you call it a console game as if they are inferior. Look at Grand Turismo, it's a console game, but it's top notch and I wish we had it on pc.

I agree in some aspects. I mean look at consoles. They are waaaay ahead of PC's. They managed to simplify the whole game into an 8 button (respectively) Controller. PC still has, what, 105-125 Buttons? PC's are HUGE, Bulky and Immobile (unless you have a laptop). 1000's of dollars later and you've still got something that doesnt put out the framerate you'd like to see. I'd say console has something pretty good going for it.

28. Another one..... Nov 8, 2003, 01:59 Alak

Its just another product that the publishing machine called EA is putting out. If you dont like it, then dont play it. If you like it, play it. Nobody really cares anymore. EA doesnt care. They are the biggest publisher of them all, what have they got to lose? I could care less about how the game feels. Im all about customization, which I think was the aspect on this game. I want to build stuff, Im not really interested in the racing to win portion. I wanna see what I can come up with that will bafle people. I remember in MCO I has this 71' Plymouth Duster with a 440cui Engine Naturally Aspirated only making about a top notch 600HP. I could beat anyone on this circuit track regardless of their HP Rating. It was just so well balanced. EA thought I was cheating, but they checked it out themselves and found it was a good match. I mean, 600HP vs. 1400HP and I could still win with plenty of time to spare. I want to see if I can pull of similar effects in NFS. Racing is just a bonus.

Remember, Too Much Power is Just as bad as not Enough.

27. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2003, 00:05 TimothyB

What is this, looks like a console game thing. Just because it seems not to match upto pc games in options and features you call it a console game as if they are inferior. Look at Grand Turismo, it's a console game, but it's top notch and I wish we had it on pc.

26. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 23:38 John

If you dont have this in a racing game, anyone can drive like an idiot (banking into a curved rail to help you make the turn) and still come out on top.

That's true about some racing games, but I noticed you get penalized more when you hit the railings in this game. It slows you down a lot, giving the other racers a good chance to catch up (if they are behind you).

Looks like a console game to me.

Well, I suppose that's because it's going to be on 3 console systems! Of course it look like one.

This space is available for rent

25. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 23:11 TimothyB

Yeah, I know what you mean by bad drivers just bumping off things at sharp turns and still winning because they're invincible.

Reminds me of when I tried 2 player in Grand Turismo. It really pissed me off. I'm taking the course seriously and at sharp turns I'd slow down to make it, but the 2nd player goes into the turn full speed useing me as a wall to slow himself down while I'm knocked off the course and he gets a clean getaway. Not very realistic if you ask me.

If the game did have damaging, we'd both be totaled and the race would be over, so then he wouldn't bother anymore. I'm guessing the same will happen with online racing in games like this.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 23:17.

24. Re: Damage Modeling Nov 7, 2003, 23:00 bjbgraphics

Ha! You want to see how damage should be done, play Grand Theft Auto and run a garbage truck or bus up the middle of a busy intersection. Watch metal go twisting and turning, bumpers falling off, hoods and doors hanging open, cars exploding... Wonderful stuff.

Edit: Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City specifically.

BJB

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 23:01.

23. No subject Nov 7, 2003, 23:00 D4rkKnight

I like dmg because it adds more depth to the game, while visual dmg is awesome, degradation of the cars performance is the most important aspect. If you dont have this in a racing game, anyone can drive like an idiot (banking into a curved rail to help you make the turn) and still come out on top.

22. Re: Damage Modeling Nov 7, 2003, 22:23 TimothyB

Look at Pro Race Car Driver, that had Supras and other cars and it had very realistic damaging. Read that they did crash testing with cheap cars to study and everything. Though, in the leaked demo to PRCD, you could really trash a car with cool visuals, in the official demo, you couldn't get half of what was in the other, and you couldn't flip the car anymore, so you losed those wild 8 roll crashes with doors flying around. Haven't tried the full version yet.

If they had what was in the leaked demo of PRCD in this game, especially for those drag racing crashes, it would be awesome.

Also, to handle those visual upgrades to the cars. How about this, it you get hit in the side for example, bend the part and have it hang off bouncing around, this would cause drag, and it would eventually fall off. Also, having doors fly open from a hard wreck is cool to, and would cause more drag.

Wrecks don't have to be just eye candy, because the damage can effect your top speed, so it encourages you to drive better and not ram someone or take those risky shortcuts and such.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo