Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Temple of Elemental Evil Demo

The promised Temple of Elemental Evil demo is now available via GameSpot's new DLX dealie (registration required). Word on the 233 MB demo is that it: "lets you explore the moathouse map with precreated characters and also includes a tutorial." The demo is also available on Atari's FTP server (direct link). Mirrors can be found on Gamer's Hell and Worthplaying.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Holy mother... Nov 8, 2003, 14:52 John

Yeah, it'd be easier if they used 'kb' for kilobits and 'kB' (or KB) for kilobytes.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Holy mother... Nov 8, 2003, 11:52 Darren "Dakota" Tabor

Windows displays download speeds in kilobytes per second, so it is the number most folks understand.

26. Re: To House Nov 8, 2003, 05:00 Icewind

You're right too. The game lacks any plot whatsoever, but from the guys who played the original module it seems like it was suppose to be that way. I didn't really mind it much since I just went through the game killing everything and collecting loot. If I want an RPG with a "Plot" I'll just go through the first two BG games.

TOEE is like a "birthday present" for Goldbox gamers.

Though I'll admit, after a second time, the novelty of the game's combat (It's only enjoyable feature) wears off...and what are you left with?

A buggy turn-based Diablo.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2009, 02:47.

25. Re: My Two Cents Nov 8, 2003, 04:27 House

I was hoping the demo would convince me that all the reviews had been misguided, but it's difficult to find enjoyment in something whose graphics are about three years old and whose gameplay is circa the Gold Box series. It's just a demo so perhaps the full game has more depth, but from what I saw it's more mindless hacking in the Icewind Dale mold instead of something one would expect from the creators of Fallout/Arcanum.

24. My Two Cents Nov 8, 2003, 03:10 Icewind

Part of me wants to, so badly, play this game a second (Or third if I count my "Destroyed" game file) time through.

Then part of me wonders if I shouldn't just rely on Treasures of the Savage Frontier and Curse of the azure Bonds (My two favorite Goldbox Games) for my D&D fix.

My only gripe with TOEE was how many random crashes I had to deal with. I built this PC a couple of years ago (Just celebrated its 2nd birthday) and this was the first game that ever gave me problems. Beating it was more about fighting through CTD's then Orcs.

I'd like to make mention of the fact that if you are a fan of classic D&D CRPGs (Like the ones I mentioned) then Greyhawk is your dream game. Don't let the reviews or the naysayers convince you otherwise. Terrific game that was screwed up by Atari's rush job.

Be about my luck they pass on making a sequel because of the poor reviews/user response of this game.

My $10,000 Collection!
(Ten of my games aren't in the IGN database)
http://users.ign.com/collection/Kairaega

23. Re: Holy mother... Nov 8, 2003, 02:40 Wazootyman

900 Kbit/sec is equal to 112.5 KBytes/sec

But aren't all downloads measured in kilobits?

22. Re: losers Nov 8, 2003, 01:48 Xombie

and no amount of patching is going to make ToEE any better...its a sad attempt at what '80s era SSI and Bioware already did/are doing much much better.
Recreate a classic D&D module into a turn-based RPG?
Maybe in your bizarro world...

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

21. Re: who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 23:55 John

What do you mean by it's difficult to access? Where did you find it?

I'm sure it will be officially released soon.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 00:09.

This space is available for rent

20. Re: who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 20:57 Azraelot

The link to the Patch is up, but it appears that it's difficult to access it.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

19. Re: Holy mother... Nov 7, 2003, 20:42 Darren "Dakota" Tabor

900 Kbit/sec is equal to 112.5 KBytes/sec.

18. Re: Holy mother... Nov 7, 2003, 19:58 Wazootyman

Sorry if I gushed a bit, but I am used to 100kb/s transfers on this connect. 900kb/s is impressive.

No I do not work for Gamespot, I'm currently a student. You'll believe whatever you want to believe, but I have been active on Blue's forums for over a year. Check my comments, you'll find plenty of evidence I am in college.

I am interested in knowing on what you base your belief that Gamespot skews its reviews. So far, I have agreed with every gamespot review I have read, except for Halo (they gave it a good review, my opinion is the game is strictly "meh").

17. Re: who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 19:37 Pineapple Ferguson

I dunno what you've heard, but it's a great game, albeit buggy.
The demo is patched, and from reading the patch notes, it sounds like most of these issues have been fixed, so if you like RPGs with great turn-based combat, you should check out the demo.
Now I just wish they would release the patch for the retail version already...

16. Re: who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 19:23 Mad Max RW

Heard enough crap about this game to make up my mind that I'll never touch it.

15. Re: who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 18:12 jomisab

I think you're right. And what's this crap about having premade characters? Is that so people don't discover that their char gen process sucks?

14. who cares? Nov 7, 2003, 17:50 Gimpzor

this demo isnt even worth downloading

13. Boo, DLX Nov 7, 2003, 17:36 Denethor

It's IE only.

It displays its throughput in Kbits/sec. 125.2 Kbits/sec looks a lot more impressive than 15.65 KBytes/sec, doesn't it?

It listens for connections on port 80.

They don't mention anything about firewalls or NAT, so you're left to guess about how to allow incoming connections. And I'm not likely to set up a port trigger for port 80.

Nice try, Gamespot. Thank you for playing.

12. Re: Holy mother... Nov 7, 2003, 17:01 dubfanatic

Kinda weird how all three of those comments came in the span of 8 minutes? Blue's News doesn't have particularly active forums, and I wouldn't put it past Gamespot to do a little astroturfing.

11. Re: losers Nov 7, 2003, 16:41 Scottish Martial Arts

14.59566% - Geekish Tendencies

Huh, I kind of feel out of place now.

10. Re: losers Nov 7, 2003, 16:15 JHMirage

I've taken this before... I swear my score goes up every time I take it. (I suspect that's not unusual, though.)

55.6213% - Extreme Geek

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

9. Re: losers Nov 7, 2003, 16:10 Soylent Bob

58.57988% - Extreme Geek

and no amount of patching is going to make ToEE any better...its a sad attempt at what '80s era SSI and Bioware already did/are doing much much better.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo