Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RTCW Platinum Edition

Activision and id Software send word that Return to Castle Wolfenstein: The Platinum Edition is now available, bundling the original RTCW with Enemy Territory, the free Wolfenstein game. Here's the announcement:

Santa Monica, CA - Nov. 7, 2003 - id Software(tm) and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today the release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein(tm): The Platinum Edition. The Platinum Edition is an all-new compilation of the award-winning Return to Castle Wolfenstein plus this summer's hit multiplayer follow-up, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory(tm). The title is currently available at retail outlets nationwide for a suggested retail price of $29.99 and is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB.

"If you haven't played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, now is your chance to experience the best of World War II single and multiplayer action," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "By incorporating Enemy Territory, one of the most widely played online multiplayer games, with the critically acclaimed Return to Castle Wolfenstein, we're offering gamers an almost endless battle through the trenches of these not-to-be-missed games."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Read between the lies Nov 8, 2003, 11:20 Sphinx

Zeph,
I see your point. It's cool. I agree the single player wasn't "all that" either. I went through it once but then after getting DSL I've been an online multiplayer junkie. It sucked me and took me over. Swallowed my soul? It wouldn't be far from the truth

The opposite happened with me and counter-strike. Different tastes for different folks I suppose.

-Sphinx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Read between the lies Nov 8, 2003, 02:05 Zephalephelah

Sphinx, I'm not sure the "boat" has to do with money.

I purchased the game too. I got the collector's edition because the hype-machine had convinced me that it was going to be all-that-badass game. But when I got the game, I finished it on hard difficulty way too fast and found the story line to be stupid.

The graphics were good, and graphics are important to me, but a fun game is what I really want. Look at Half-life, still going strong because of Counter-Strike. The game is 5 years old. That's not just a boat, that's an aircraft carrier! That's what I wanted from RtCW.

Remember that flame-thrower screenshot & that bunch of bullshit ID software told us in the video. ...these enemy guys have such good AI that blah blah blah blah blah...

I'm so afraid that the same will be true for HL-2, especially after seeing the leaked beta. All of that shit was 100% scripted for E3. Even while Valve touted the AI as being a thinking wonder that could change its tactics in its attempts to kill you.

I so fear that Doom3 will end up being a 5 hour game & that the multiplayer will be like Quake3, which is okay for a little while I guess but its nothing new.

So you see RtCW didn't do anything much for me even though I spent $65 on it. I sold the stupid game & recouped some of my money, but I wish that I had never heard of it until now so I could buy it from a bargain bin for what's its been worth from the beginning, which is to say next to nothing.

22. Re: Read between the lies Nov 7, 2003, 23:27 Sphinx

Oh and as for the comment about RtCW not having any boat:
From Financial statement of Activision 1/2002:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the #1 selling premium priced PC title in the U.S. during the holiday season, according to NPD Intelect. The company has shipped more than one million units of the game, making it one of the best-selling PC software titles of the holiday season.

-Sphinx

21. Re: Read between the lies Nov 7, 2003, 23:21 Sphinx

Just like every other game. Squeeze blood from a rock. Half-Life gold, platinum, uranium, and californium versions. Half-life 2? Oh we'll leave that unsecure. No worries. No one's really excited about it anyway.

-Sphinx

20. Read between the lies Nov 7, 2003, 21:52 Kxmode

Santa Monica, CA - Nov. 7, 2003 - id Software(tm) and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today the release of Return to Castle Wolfenstein(tm): r[Our Last Ditch Effort to Score Some Serious Fundage]r Edition. The r[Money Suck Edition]r is a r[rehashed]r compilation of the award-winning Return to Castle Wolfenstein plus this summer's r[forgettable]r multiplayer follow-up, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory(tm). The title is currently available at retail outlets nationwide for the r["what we need to survive Quarter 3 earnings"]r retail price of $29.99 and is rated "M" (Mature) by the ESRB.

"If you haven't played Return to Castle Wolfenstein, now is your chance to experience the best of World War II single and multiplayer action," r[bullshit]r said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "By incorporating Enemy Territory, one of the most widely played online multiplayer games r[lie: see CounterStrike and Battlefield 1942]r, with the critically acclaimed Return to Castle Wolfenstein, we're offering gamers an almost endless battle r[he said "almost". should be DEFINITE]r through the trenches of these not-to-be-missed games." r[WTF does 'the trenches of these not-to-be-missed games' mean?]r

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 21:53.

19. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 20:48 DG

Er yeah, and you can change those too. Have a one-pixel dot if you want, or a 5 pixel "+"

18. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 17:58 Beamer

Pfft, I never said anything about color, I said size and shape.

It's the size that counts, dammit!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 17:54 Enahs

"Ohmigod! Just look at this violet purple crosshair. To Die for, it just goes so well with my Grey Axis uniform. Sieg Heil honey!"

<lisp>
Violet Purple would not at all go with the axis uniform!
A nice autumn amber would go great with the nasty ole' gray Axis uniform! Fur' sure!
</lisp>

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

16. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 17:28 Enahs

So I am suppose to pay $29.99 for a game I can get for $9.99-$14.99 in a bargain bin, and one I can download for free? Sounds like a sweet deal for Activision.

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 17:24 Sphinx

No, just everyone else here takes themselves too seriously. OMG LOOK AT MY L33t BF42 UBER_HAX!!

-Sphinx

14. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 17:04 ExcessDan

haha you're more messed up than i

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

ExcessDan

13. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 16:56 Sphinx

Well you can modify the crosshair to a small dot.
If you get on a server with the OSP mod you can change the color to some nice day glo color like lime green or something. Not that it helps my aim but it might help you.

Failing that, just download ET which has the OSP component built into the game and go all "queer eye for the colored crosshair."

"Ohmigod! Just look at this violet purple crosshair. To Die for, it just goes so well with my Grey Axis uniform. Sieg Heil honey!"

-Sphinx

12. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 16:07 Beamer

Honestly, I think the problem, for me, is the crosshairs.

When games have the big, wide, round crosshairs I feel like I don't know where I'm shooting. I feel like the weapons spray and I hardly know if I'm hitting something. That was my biggest complaint with RtCW (I felt like I was spraying without a clue if my bullets were hitting or zinging wide due to gun flaws).

Didn't really experience that again until Halo, which was fun for about a week but grew old quickly. Again, I blame the crosshairs, but it was only on a few Halo weapons.

Now that I realize how massively something that small ruins the feel of a game for me I should dig RtCW up and try it out, just changing the crosshair. I'd assume it had the big round one, don't remember well, but I know the machine gun in Halo feels just like the ones in Wolfenstein, so I think that is the problem.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. No subject Nov 7, 2003, 15:32 Milkman Dan

The funny thing is, I feel the opposite way about RtCW and ET and BF1942. I found ET quickly boring after a couple weeks of release, and deleted it. I won RtCW at a CS tourny a year and a half ago and never even bothered to open the box based on the gameplay I had experienced from the demo. It was basically the same game you get in almost every other paramilitary game. Yes, the soldiering in 1942 is kinda boring, but it's all about the vehicles. It's the one thing that makes it stick out vs. the multitude of paramilitary games that have patterns of weapon fire and amount of damage produced as the only variation from game to game.

10. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 15:09 Von Helmet

I really hated the feel of the weapons in this game.

What? They were great! The Paratrooper FG42 rifle was one of the best guns since the Doom 2 shotgun or Quake rocket launcher!

9. No subject Nov 7, 2003, 15:07 Xero

Oops, misread dan's thing, ah well, let it be music to ur ears

Pentium 4, 2.6ghz 800Mhz FSB
1024MB PC3200
Geforce 4 Ti4400 128MB DDR

Currently playing: Skyrim

8. No subject Nov 7, 2003, 14:41 Mono

Clearly milking this for all its worth. However, RtCW multiplayer beats BF1942 all day long in my book. Wolf and now ET multiplay, are seriously the best teambased MP games evar. Of course that's IMHO, but BF1942 just felt awkward and the weapons were no fun. Wolf is fast, maps are great, and teamplay is a must to win objs against experienced players.

I'll still take a good Wolf MP game over just about anything else.

Flames > /dev/null

7. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 14:37 Sphinx

And unfortunately fighting zombies was 1/3 of the game. Ugh. Now shooting the SS troops, robots, and mutants. Fun.
I still haven't put down the multiplayer either. I swear there's probably a groove in my disk where that game is installed.

-Sphinx

6. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2003, 14:34 ExcessDan

John's got that right

I liked the single player in RtCW except fighting the zombies.

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

ExcessDan

5. Re: Um Nov 7, 2003, 14:02 John

Ok first off, it's not EA who publishes the game, it's Activision.

Who said it was EA? Dan sure didn't.

This space is available for rent

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo