Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Temple of Elemental Evil Demo Tomorrow

Atari sends word that a demo version of The Temple of Elemental Evil, Troika's new D&D RPG, is expected tomorrow. Here's the announcement:

Atari today revealed that the demo for it’s recently released The Temple of Elemental Evil™ for PC CD-ROM will be available tomorrow via GameSpot’s new downloading system – DLX http://dlx.gamespot.com. The demo will also be hosted at www.atari.com later that same day. Based on a module developed by Dungeons & Dragons® creator Gary Gygax, The Temple of Elemental Evil represents the first interactive role-playing game set in the popular World of Greyhawk. Developed by Troika Games, The Temple of Elemental Evil will feature an exciting party-based, single player campaign, an engaging storyline based on the classic D&D® adventure of the same name as well as a faithful translation of the latest 3.5 edition rules.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: sorry Nov 7, 2003, 04:46 tacomodo

Wohooo! Did you hear that, guys? People get to download it via GameSpot?s new downloading system! That is bound to be grrrrreat!!!! YYEEAAAHHAHH!! YYYEAAAH YEAH YEAH FIRE FIRE !!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. sorry Nov 7, 2003, 02:03 Of Rock Star Fame

This year! [concerning Doom 3's release in 2002] Are you out of your mind, if we see it next year I will eat - I will make someone I don't like eat my shoe.
--Zephersnazzen (17 August 2002,Gamefaqs)
This comment was edited on Nov 7, 02:17.

11. Re: Well. Nov 6, 2003, 23:55 cappy

From the boards, apparently a lot of people had issues with bugs running from minor and irritating to making the game unplayable. Some of it was related to Atari's use of CD-copy protection.

I had no problems playing the game except for a consistent crash-to-desktop (documented as a bug by others) during one particular end-boss death scene which required the graphics options to be turned down.

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the bugs were anomalies that would strike one player and not another with a fairly similar system.

I would categorize my enjoyment of the game as close to either of the Icewind Dale titles and more than Dungeon Siege. In fact, I would actually put it closest to Gorasul, but few people have heard of or played that one.

Unlike Planescape Torment (which I usually replay about once a year) or either of the Baldur's Gates, I don't particularly feel a strong compulsion to try to replay it. Apparently Atari forced some changes on Troika that have made playing as different alignments such as evil not enticing enough to encourage replayability. Otherwise, I guess some replayability might be to change the party composition just to experiment with different classes (unlike say, the Baldur's Gate games where you get the added interest of some unusual NPC interactions depending on who all is in the party).

10. Re: Well. Nov 6, 2003, 23:46 Pineapple Ferguson

Here's a list of what the patch is addressing:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329894

Yeah.. just a *couple* bugs.

9. Re: Well. Nov 6, 2003, 23:17 Scottish Martial Arts

What are some of the main bugs? Is it mostly software-related problems such as the game crashing or in-game problems as in incomplete quests and such?

Both. ToEE was not ready for primetime.

8. Re: Well. Nov 6, 2003, 22:42 John

I really recommend anyone who likes RPGs to try this out.

Well, I'll definitely give the demo a go. I enjoy a lot of RPGs so I'll probably pick this one up eventually.

What are some of the main bugs? Is it mostly software-related problems such as the game crashing or in-game problems as in incomplete quests and such?

This space is available for rent

7. More Fun Nov 6, 2003, 21:51 Da Stylin' Rastan

I was on the fence about this one so maybe it'll sway me, but it's going to need to do a lot to fall into my current roster of Call of Duty, AA 2.0, Commandos 3, and SSX3.

-DSR

6. Well. Nov 6, 2003, 21:05 Azraelot

I really recommend anyone who likes RPGs to try this out. The game has gotten a lot of bad press because of the bugs, but I had a fantastic time with it.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

5. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2003, 20:54 4D-Boxing

I just don't get it! A study showed that sales increase by arround 10% when a demo is released prior to a games release so why do so many companies release demos after the game is released? It's like all those campanies that are pushing the release dates to 1Q of 2004, last x-mas season those companies complained that the market was saturated and now they are going to saturate the 1Q of 2004 and cry about sales.

The only reason i can think of, is that they know that their games are full of bugs or just plain bad.

I got to find myself a job in PC gaming, i would love to be able to tell my boss that the new network infrastructure will be deployed Q1 2004 instead of next week and not get fired

4. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2003, 20:45 Saint Proverbius

Monday, they said that the patch would be out Friday, which would be tomorrow. It's done, they're just putting in the copy protection.

3. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2003, 19:36 John

Demo before critical patch. Gotta love Atari.

Demo should have been out before the game was released.. at least that's my opinion.

This space is available for rent

2. Re: No subject Nov 6, 2003, 19:13 Pineapple Ferguson

I assume that this means the patch has been QA'd and integrated with the demo, and the patch will come out tomorrow as well.. but then again who knows.

1. No subject Nov 6, 2003, 18:57 aguita

Demo before critical patch. Gotta love Atari.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo