Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NFS: Underground Demo

After a glitch derailed the first scheduled release, the Need for Speed: Underground Demo is now available. The demo of the street-racing installment in this high octane series is a 220 MB download, which has been mirrored on 3D Gamers, AusGamers, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games Online, FileFront, Filerush, GamePlex, Gamer's Hell, IGN, Loadedinc (registration required), NuclearDays (registration required), Pixelrage.ro, and Worthplaying.

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

91. Re: Best racing game in a while Dec 2, 2003, 11:18 chris mc

I got 22.74, in a honda civic gettin the start exact, 1, 2, 3 gear perfect and nos the last gears. which i got good on. the computer on hard were pulling 22.13!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: cant get it to start Nov 28, 2003, 13:01 Babydakar

You have to set your language to American:

Go Into Your Control Panel and select Language Options.

89. Motion Blur Nov 27, 2003, 19:38 HardCore

How can i enable motion blur? i cant even select that option. my P4 pc runs on 256 ram and GeForce 4. Pls help

88. cant get it to start Nov 26, 2003, 00:48 asfd

I bought nfs underground about 2 days ago and everything with the game is compatible for my computer. My computer is only about a year old has 512 ram, 1.6, pentium 4, windows xp, and it exceeds all the rquirements and recommendations. I have installed it several times and every time i try to play it, it goes to the small screen before it loads to the game where it says need for speed underground then my computer sounds like its loading and then just returns back to the desktop. If you could help me this would be great!!!

87. Not so bad... Nov 16, 2003, 14:48 JMParamount

Don't know why everybody is saying something like "this game sux". I also don't understand why everybody is saying that it has bad physics. Now seriously, are you all professional drivers? I am not a pro, but I wouldn't say that it's as bad as some of you are saying it is.

I like this game pretty much, although I hate the fu**ing cheaters as you do. Hope that EA will do something against that.

My times:

Drag Race - 24:18 - Nothing to prove it.
Circuit - 1:21:48 - Proof: http://home.arcor.de/marknekk/circuit-record.jpg

No cheating, but Logitech MOMO™ Racing. ;-)

86. Crap Nov 11, 2003, 09:38 03YZFR6

Unimpressive, Porsche unleashed was still the best game of them all. Can't EA get it? Either make another PU or a Gran Turismo clone, why bother even releasing this crap on the PC. Its not a good arcade game and its not a good sim. Nice graphics though, I guess thats what EA cares about. I dont think it will sell a bunch on the PC, there are a lot of sim racers who wont buy this crap. Probably sell very well on consoles.

85. This will sell Nov 11, 2003, 01:06 Alak

This game will sell because of two factors.

1) Its a Need for Speed title.

2) You can fully customize in any fashion ALL aspects of your car.

EA didnt need to work on racing physics, they basically had these two other factors to do the selling for them. I think it would take a couple weeks at least for anyone to find flaws in the racing systems physics just because they are in awe of all the other options the game has.

84. Cough crap Cough Nov 7, 2003, 03:29 hebrew_national

This game continues the fine tradition of suckage that NFS:HP2 began.

All they had to do to create a winner was a graphical followup to Porsche Unleashed, continuing to fine-tune a good arcade racer with a solid physics engine and a good career mode.

But would that ever fly in the world of EA? Naw.

Instead, lets use the HP2 engine, crap physics, and put in lots of new shaders that make the road look oh-so shiny and fake, and then add in all the lame cars that every teenager wants to drive, can't afford, but spend all their money souping up their honda civic to LOOK like....and....we have a winner folks!

[No offense to anyone who owns a honda civic, they are perfectly fine cars, and I've owned/driven worse in the past] [also no offense to anyone who likes the cars in this game, that is fine as well]

I fully expect this title to fly off the shelves.

83. Re: Best racing game in a while Nov 6, 2003, 01:27 Sty

Double whammy on the CONS there, Bloodknight. That bad huh?

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

82. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2003, 15:45 TimothyB

There could be cheaters out there, hope not, refering to the 13s. Did you ever feel like when you were doing your best run the game turned against you making you still hit the train anyway, or even the last car? It really pissed me off.

Where you using a gas pedal? It's pretty tough to get a good start with the arrows. I did get 24.88 with missing one perfect shift, so I know I can get better than my 24.83

81. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2003, 14:04 Velicos

24.59 is my best, if you want proof ask. I have to head out to class right now and then Matrix tonight =). My roommate got a 24.4 something though, pisses me off.

Some of the Top 10 on the Online Ranking are in the 13's, HOW!

80. No subject Nov 5, 2003, 10:42 BloodKnight

Forgot what I just said about cheating and being under 1:21 is a cheat

Check this out:

http://www.uploadit.org/files2/051103-OMGIAMGOD.jpg

79. Re: Best racing game in a while Nov 5, 2003, 08:25 TimothyB

24.83 :-) Did anyone get better?

Here's my proof:
http://www.uploadit.org/files2/051103-NFSU1.jpg

78. Best racing game in a while Nov 5, 2003, 08:04 BloodKnight

Worth the download, great graphics and it runs quite smoothy. I had to turn off motion blurring because it really made the game way too hard for me (precision is everything with me)

Since i don't feel like writing 300 paragraphs describing the games, I'm going to use point form:

CONS:

- It feels and runs fast. When I am ripping through tight straightaways, bumping with another car at 250 KM/H (I'm canadian, bite me), I really feel the rush flowing through. Putting the camera in bumper, I believe, gives the true feeling for speed and improves your precision.

- Good physics. This is like a marriage between HP2 and Porche Unleashed, but neither siding to one direction. It doesn't have the traditional 'wall riding' technique like HP2, but it doesn't have the uber realitic controls like Unleashed. What I liked most about the game is you actually have to FIGHT with your car in order to win. Like Nascar and LiveForSpeed, you need to do things perfectly to win. Any screwups whatsoever will cause your opponent to catch up, a lot. I had many races where I screwed up the bridge jump and poof, guy that was 8 seconds behind me just catch up.

- Unlike HP2, Shortcuts are actually a very big risk. Very very big risk.

- If you are with a good player, races can be really intense. I beat a player once by two milliseconds because I had a crapload of NOS left for the finishing.

- It requires skill and no dirty racing. I had faced several players who usually tried to mess me up. It was pretty ironic because whenever they kept swirving, they kept losing speed. The player I told you about above was a dirty racing and kept trying to push me off for the finish line. Remember, straightest line always win.

- Lots of depth. Not only will this game have tons of customization, but mastering the tracks will become a whole new challenge on itself. The use of e-brake is a technique that I consider a very hard challenge, and the demo track, although somewhat simple, does seem to have a few twists and turns along with depth. Praticing on a track will make you see how many options you have.

- For a game that looks good, I am very surpised it runs on my computer quite well. I turned off some of the major effects like road reflection and world detail, but I can pump up headlights and car reflections easily.

CONS

- Controls feel very loose and lack sensitivity (I am using a steering wheel). It takes a while to get used to, but it would be better if the cars actually knew I was pressing gas a little or a lot. The wheel itself I need to turn more and make sure I don't spin off. Like I said, it takes a lot to get used to the controls, but not impossible. I found it to be quite an interesting experience.

- The UI god damn sucks, there.

- The reason you need to create an account for EA games is because of the ranked games and its system. How are you supposed to send a complaint to someone when the enviroment is like Quake? However, it is rather annoying and getting a nick for me was a pain in the ass.

- The ranking system is busted. Sometimes I don't even get a win when I get win and your opponent disconnecting in the game causes problem. Also, the whole 'rep' thing is quite annoying. I've seen guys who have 3 wins that are better ranked then me.

- There has been cheats online, I've noticed it. However, I was accussed of cheating so I will level when you know someone is cheating.

IF THEY BEAT THE TRACK BELOW 1:20 time, then they probably cheated. The best time I got was 1:22 and I had to do a freaking amazing job just to get that.

- Physics sometimes doesn't act towards your favor. Hard to explain, but its a bitch.

77. corrupt and crap anyway Nov 5, 2003, 02:09 HoSpanky

I too got my first download as corrupted...got a working copy, ran it, found that the cars respond *late* to any input. how the hell do they expect anyone to seriously play this when the car doesn't actually react for about half a second or so?

it's like racing R/C cars when they're *almost* out of range. this is crap. Hot Pursuit 2 does the same thing, and that's why I wouldn't buy it.

also, the "set up an account to play this online" bullshit is just that...bullshit. EA refuses to make Xbox Live! enabled games, because they want you to have to go thru bullshit like this to play their games. they wouldn't DARE let you just log on and play.

75. Re: Corrupt... Nov 5, 2003, 00:55 John

Try FilePlanet.. someone posted the link below. It requires registration and you have to wait in line, but the download itself is fairly quick.. and best of all, the file isn't corrupt.

I don't understand why those other links even host the demo if it's corrupt.. don't they test it first?

As for the game's performance, my roommate and I both have Ti4200 video cards, but the demo runs much smoother on my system even at higher resolutions. The only major difference is that I've got a XP1900+ (1.6Gb) CPU, and roommate has P4 1.5Gb.

This space is available for rent

74. Re: Corrupt... Nov 5, 2003, 00:39 Pellet Puppy

Did you try the fileplanet Link? Thats where I got mine.
I don't really like the cars in it. Most of them look the same to me
And the tracks. I tried looking at the website for information ON what type of tracks are in the game. It looks like all the tracks are located in cities and there's no control over the weather And I would like Multiple pathways in the Racing course. Following one path isn't very challenging.
And hey where's the cops?

73. Corrupt... Nov 5, 2003, 00:16 WFrame9109

Yeah... so I've downloaded it from nearly all the mirrors (non registration ones) and every single one is corrupt after extracting the initial zip.

From what I hear... Why did they deviate from porsche unleashed in the first place? That was probably the only racing game I've ever played for more than 30 minutes... Then they put out hot pursuit 2 which feels like an old cruisin usa arcade game or some ridiculously old game... anyways... Cheers.

72. So here's my take... Nov 4, 2003, 23:50 Tim1_2

The game's pretty fun! Graphics are sweet (naturally), and the sound is intense. The game handles pretty arcadey, but it's not over-the-top ridiculous like in Hot Pursuit 2. Sim-nuts will shirk it's lack of damage modeling and arcade-like physics, but the game is flatout fun. I found Drag Racing to be a blast (posted a best time of 25.54, that's hitting the jump). Pretty cool. I played it with a gamepad and it worked really well. I'm gonna hook up my wheel tomorrow and put it through its paces again.

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: Max Payne 2, NHL 2004, Counter-strike, Call of Duty

Currently playing: DayZ

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo