Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Man is it ever a gorgeous day around here today!

I'm quite happy with the new Battlefield 1942 patch, and the new Invasion of the Philippines map is a lot of fun. I am terribly disappointed, however, to see that a bug that was introduced with the last patch remains, and I cannot configure the mouse wheel for the functions I would like to assign to it. Is it a standards issue that causes mouse wheel support to be so flaky in games all these years after the doohickeys were first devised? The only such thing I find nearly as vexing is the occasional game that still manages to not support the numeric keypad to input numbers. The devil is in the details, and these are a couple of controller details that need an exorcism.

Link of the Day: Underwear Boiling System (UBS). Thanks Jim Chaney.
Stories of the Day: Naked karaoke angers neighbors.
Guy in Skirt Seeks Sensitivity in Brooklyn (registration required).
Science!: The Cruelest Cure (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 4, 2003, 09:05 Sphinx

My biggest request was being able to bind a key to change class (and specify weapon), so next time I die (or when I hit my kill bind) that I could be the class I wanted/needed, with out having to go to limbo menu. You can do this on some servers, running certain mods, but it would be nice to do it on all! Hopefully in next release!

----

www.cowboyscripts.org has one for this...

-Sphinx
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. How tuff is it. . . Nov 3, 2003, 12:56 5peed

to just let users configure any key they want? It bugs the fuck outta me that some games let you config Fkeys, and others don't even tho they have no default uses.

The numpad thing is also silly, and then theres the left/right differentiation of the modifier keys.

50. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 3, 2003, 11:35 BicycleRepairMan

BicycleRepairMan, you might want to try my setup since its very similar to yours and you might find it much more comfortable.

Thats interesting, its nice to see someone who has figured out the fact that SPACE=backwards and mouse2=forward makes all the move keys (the most critical) available without moving fingers.. thanks for the suggestion but I've used mine so long ,I dont think Ill change anything, in particular I wont separate my strafing keys..

If anything I'd probably turn your suggestion back to you and suggest you switch to my config , but I know how individual configs are so I wont bother.

Currently playing:
1.Red Orchestra http://www.unrealwarfarex.com/redorchestra/

49. Re: bf1942 Nov 3, 2003, 10:48 Blade_986

That seems like a wierd combo man....But if it works for you, cool! I still am stuck on WASD and always will be with the majority cause I'm a follower! LOL!!

48. Re: Norton AntiSpam 2004 Nov 3, 2003, 10:07 Zathrus

If you have Mozilla (I am using v1.5), you can also block these ads and pop-ups. However, it doesn't seem to block Flash ads like Norton products.

If you run Firebird then there's a "Click for Flash" extension. Works exactly as you'd think -- it disables Flash from starting up and replaces the HTML with a simple "Click here for Flash" header. If you click in the area it goes ahead and lets the Flash run.

Of course, you can simply not install the Flash plugin too, but that breaks some sites (like AnandTech moving all their benchmark graphics to Flash just to make sure people have the plugin - blech. I've also seen at least one site that used Flash for a site navigation menu).

I don't know if the Extention is available for Mozilla as well. I've switched entirely to Firebird (home and work) and Thunderbird (home).

47. Re: No title on the main news page Nov 3, 2003, 09:54 Armengar

I'm boring and use the plain old WASD with Q as use, M1 fire, space crounch, M2 jump and M3 alt fire. oh well

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

46. No title on the main news page Nov 3, 2003, 09:36 Dclaw

Hey Blue,

what's up with "Untitled Document" as the title on the main news page?

take care Blue

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 09:36.

Dclaw

45. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2003, 03:07 wasrad

Actually, a while ago there was this thing on sale that you put your finger in, kind of like the pulse monitors at hospitals, and the software running for the hardware as a demo was a skiing game. You, with your thought, could guide the guy left or right.

Im pretty confident that there are devices out there where you could play an FPS with your thoughts but thats a bit powerful for the public to have, hence the reason i support skunk works.

OOOOO X-FILES

44. wow Enahs,,, Nov 3, 2003, 03:01 wasrad

just reading that post, I know that somehow my sex life has been affected in a lacking way.

:\

43. Re: Norton AntiSpam 2004 Nov 3, 2003, 02:47 Ant

Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security (Professional also) 2004 have Norton AntiSpam too. Handy feature to block ads and also block pop-up ads.

If you have Mozilla (I am using v1.5), you can also block these ads and pop-ups. However, it doesn't seem to block Flash ads like Norton products.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

42. Norton AntiSpam 2004 Nov 3, 2003, 02:30 ExcessDan

Weird, I just got this program and it totally removes the banner ad from this page and it's like it was never there. Now for some reason the giant ad between the 2 days of posts is still there... Anyone else try this software and know what's going on?

edit: nevermind i got rid of it! its amazing how this site loads quickly again now that it doesn't attempt to show those ads.. i was about to remove this site from my start page! i love you antispam 2k4

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 02:34.

ExcessDan

41. No subject Nov 3, 2003, 00:32 ExcessDan

i want the devs to come up with a way for me to control my character through my thoughts

Love Dan
"Will you be my valentine?"
-Dan

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 00:39.

ExcessDan

40. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:56 Stolk

Jennerstein, I'm left-handed and know exactly what you are talking about. These days the first time I load a new game, I'm almost waiting for the menus to come up to see if my primary button is going to work properly.

Game devs, ARE YOU READING THIS?

And to the guy who mentioned a standard for this stuff, that is a wonderful idea. I don't think some people here quite understood. How cool would it be to start a new game and have the ability to import key bindings from an external file? BOOM! Done.

39. Phillipines rules Nov 2, 2003, 23:53 Rosebud[YT]

That map is great! It has it all...a few tanks, a few planes, a destroyer, you can walk between some islands, swim between others, it's evenly balanced (judging from the 4 or 5 hours I've played already), and I haven't switched the CD yet! I'm loving it. It has hidey holes, strategic spots, two bases just across the river from each other, DEFguns blasting away at each other, at the destroyer, groovy PT boats with floating mine alt-fire weapons, all kinds of hootinani. It's just pure fun.

38. Re: bf1942 Nov 2, 2003, 23:48 Rosebud[YT]

The point was, there should be a way for us to CHANGE our setup ONE TIME, and have every game read that config file. There's no excuse for having to do it in EVERY single game. Even a generic binding, and then you could modify game specific buttons. But the basic movement, weapon fire, alt fire, duck, jump, wipe butt, should be in a standard format so the game can find it. It could be in Control Panel, Game Controllers. That seems logical enough.

37. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:47 Enahs

I've also considered just becoming more ambidextrous with my right hand and playing games the way everyone else does

I decided to do this, and learned to write with my left hand. I can now write better with my left hand then my right!
But I still can not mouse with my left hand, or even cut food with a knife good with my left hand!

_____
Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

36. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:36 Jennerstein

More mouse stories:

Warcraft III is another game that gets my Window's mouse settings correct (right button is select, left button is command). If Windows is set lefthanded, then all the buttons are flipped accordingly. I don't remember if War III is one of them, but some games even switch the tutorial text to represent a left hander's perspective. Major kudos to them.

Problems come when the whole game (i.e Freedom Force) hardcodes a righthanded setting. In FF, I was unable to change the mice settings, and FF did not flip the buttons (like in War III). I ended up being too frustrated at having to train my brain to switch buttons. This was compounded by the fact that FF's control scheme was very similar to War III. I kept trying to select my heroes but would instead end up issuing a command for them to run off a bridge or something.

My guess is Irrational Games never had a southpaw on their crew.

I've also considered just becoming more ambidextrous with my right hand and playing games the way everyone else does. But alas, my aim is horrible when playing right handed. I'm much too competitive for that.

35. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:29 Enahs

It's fairly confusing, but I've learned to adapt with each game
Yeah, you lefties are good at that! Guess you get a lot of practice all the life

I for one just thinking about peoples (right handed) control set-up, just makes me cringe... Mouse 2 is not jump for everybody? WTF! Mouse 3 is not the ALT fire? Mouse 1 is not primary fire? and this WASD...wtf! Move it over to ESDF...that gives you buttons on the left to have access to!

When I go to a friend house, it drives me CRAZY trying to adapt....eck...
And guys....hitting a button on the keyboard to jump...AHHH! SICK…just disgusting!

But ya know, Like I always say, Life is like a bo...I mean, if it works for you, then go for it.

You could always get a second mouse (and with USB and WinXP, both could be hooked up at the same time). And just open that sucker up and switch where the buttons wire hook up, and use that one for the games that will not let you switch.
I personally have two mice hooked up at once (one is a graphics pen tablet, but it also has a mouse you can use on it). It is really fun in some games, starting to move both mice, and see what the hell the game does!

_____
Enahs
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 23:31.

- W. C. Fields

34. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:19 Jennerstein

Would not changing the system (Windows/Whatever OS) to left handed. Would then not the primary be on the other side, the side you wanted? Or if you have it set-up that way, would un checking that when you play games you cant change fix that then?

I've setup Windows for left-handed mice, the problem is that some games don't seem to do a call on what the windows settings are for the mouse.

An example would be UT2K3 with a left handed setup. In-game menus are selected by clicking the left mouse button (not the right mouse button). It's like these games use the default windows setting of left-click = primary, instead of looking at my Windows settings.

On the other hand you have games like Halo that actually get it right. In other words, right-click functions as primary and I'm able to navigate the menus like I would in windows.

It's fairly confusing, but I've learned to adapt with each game. It's kind of obvious, if one button doesn't work, use the other one.

33. Re: Mouse buttons... Nov 2, 2003, 23:04 Enahs

Enemy Territory doesn't let me reassign radio command numbers (1-5). Thankfully there's the context system, but still...
I was talking with one of the guys at Splash Damage (We play to gather quite often actually) and I mentioned a few things about not being able to customize easily, that was one of them. He said he would try to get them to add possible key binds, to change that in the next release (if they have a reason to release one, not just for that). I personally would not change the radio messages, just use the number system.

My biggest request was being able to bind a key to change class (and specify weapon), so next time I die (or when I hit my kill bind) that I could be the class I wanted/needed, with out having to go to limbo menu. You can do this on some servers, running certain mods, but it would be nice to do it on all! Hopefully in next release!

Games that don't let me switch the right and left mouse buttons from secondary to primary really annoy me.

Would not changing the system (Windows/Whatever OS) to left handed. Would then not the primary be on the other side, the side you wanted? Or if you have it set-up that way, would un checking that when you play games you can not change the buttons, would that then fix the problem? One of these two options seems to be a logical and plausible solution!

_____
Enahs edited for clarity
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 23:15.

- W. C. Fields

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo