Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty

Following through on the promise made a month ago (the game development equivalent of shooting the wings off a fly), Call of Duty Unleashes Massive Assault on Retail Shelves Nationwide is the press release announcing that Call of Duty, Infinity Ward's World War II first-person shooter, is now available in stores in North America. In a related note, the Call of Duty "Intensity" Trailer can be found on Gamer's Hell and Worthplaying. The release has a lot on the extensive plans to market the game, but also has a bit on gameplay:

Call of Duty transports fans into a gripping, movie-like World War II combat experience where they must survive the chaos of battle as ordinary soldiers fighting together as a squad. Through 24 devastating game missions, players take on Nazi forces through epic assaults, featuring scores of soldiers and incredible special effects, played out through three Allied forces -- U.S., British and Russian, all fighting together toward one common goal -- to defeat the German-led Axis war machine. Call of Duty also delivers heart-thumping team-based, online multiplayer action for up to 32 soldiers.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: bots are good for LAN parties Oct 13, 2006, 21:03 WILL

HELP ME CAN U ADD BOTS TO MP PLEASE SEND HELP ...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Damn Oct 30, 2003, 23:11 Zephalephelah

"I think Deus Ex : IW is going to offer quite a bit of what you described"

Okay, I wasn't going to buy this game because I tried the 1st one out & the graphics were shit, but you just sold me. I'll give it a shot.

45. Damn Oct 30, 2003, 21:09 Creston

Zeph, you're actually starting to make sense in your posts. Armageddon must be right around the corner.

I do agree that heavily scripted sequences get boring after two runs through. I think Deus Ex : IW is going to offer quite a bit of what you described, however. (or at least, I'm hoping and praying it will!)

Creston

44. Re: Single Call of Duty ... used. Oct 30, 2003, 03:30 Zephalephelah

Thanks. Yeah I do have it all figured out.

Let me ask you this, what would be more fun...

Call of Duty with its scripted sequences, Nazis always in exactly the same places, and after an objective is accomplished new nazis can materialize right behind you even though you were just there a second ago & didn't see a damned thing (that's called reality kids).

OR

A war game which examines how you play & makes minor adjustments in troop strength for the rest of the game as you complete objectives so that it is always challenging you but never overwhelming you, making your game experience fun yet dangerous. A war game which does not place Nazis down like tiles, but allows them freedom of movement so that a group from one level (part of a city) might move to another level (fringe of the city to the country). A war game which allows you to squeeze through windows, hide under houses, climb on buildings, and interact with an environment rather than being unable to climb on a 4 foot wall.

------------------------

If this game had come out at the same time as Medal of Honor, I would still think Medal of Honor was a better game. But both games are probably only worth a couple runs & then they are dead. If things weren't always so fuckin' scripted, then the games would be more fun.

Making games like movies is great. I'm all for it. But I'd really rather not watch the same fucking movie more than once unless it is truly great or unless it actually changes. Fuck man, imagine being able to watch the Matrix Revolutions & everytime you put in the DVD you weren't really sure what might happen from scene to scene. Yes the scenes would come in the same sequence, but Morpheus might die in scene 2 or he might not until much later, or Neo might not make it and the rest of the movie was about the machines killing the humans. A movie like that could be sold for $250. A game like what I'm talking about would sell 10 times as many units. No one thinks anymore. They just copy each other & call it good enough. Capture the Flag version 172. No thanks.

43. Re: Single Call of Duty ... used. Oct 30, 2003, 00:49 John

You sure have it all planned out already.. and seem to know all about the game too.

This space is available for rent

42. Re: bots are good for LAN parties Oct 29, 2003, 20:22 Steele Johnson

The only reason I like bots in a mp game is so that I can get used to the maps before I go online. But that's definitely not something I'd whine about. And the cheater/hacker excuse is just pathetic. Who said that?

41. Single Call of Duty ... used. Oct 29, 2003, 19:46 Zephalephelah

I'll buy the game, from someone who played it & sells it on ebay. It's not worth retail that's for sure. Almost all games fall short.
-
The cheaters will rip this game apart too, so yet another multi-player game will suck again. Bots aren't really fun to me, I like the more imaginative strategies of real human players, but the cheaters will ruin it.
-
So I'll buy this from someone on ebay, then sell it after I've played through it. It's worth a play through, nothing more though.

40. Re: No subject Oct 29, 2003, 19:45 Bunko

Unlike Creston, I am a World War II buff who can't get enough of the war and the time period. And I have yet to see a game that has captured the war accurately. Call of Duty (from what I have seen) has done the best so far, but still isn't there. Now, if you combined the weapons system of DoD, the epic battles of CoD, OPF's freedom, Ghost Recon's brutality, Stalker's outdoor environs, FarCry's AI, a dash of non-linearity and some historical accuracy, then you'd have something. My dream game :D. Developers, are you listening?

I've been rather critical of CoD in the past, but I think I'll pick it up anyway. It may not be the greatest game (or the longest) but it is pretty fun.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
This comment was edited on Oct 29, 19:45.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

39. Re: No subject Oct 29, 2003, 19:14 Creston

i'd put my money on deus ex: invisible wars to give us both quality and quantity

peteyk

Welcome bearcub. You are obviously a wise man.

I don't know about Call of Duty. On the one hand, more shooters = good. On the other hand, this is a world war 2 shooter, which never really caught my attention (I don't want to fire a fucking blablabla piece of rust rifle that you can't reload unless it's empty, I want to fire a frigging Assault Rifle with Sidewind Correction Filters, Armor Penetration Magnifiers and Smooth Sexual Favor Bestowers errr skip that, built in!)

And ofcourse, Railroad Tycoon 3 is supposed to come out Friday...

I think I'll wait for some reviews, however, with the way they've been jizzing all over the Internet about this game, the odds of finding an objective, unbiased review are pretty zero.

So how about you guys post some reviews after you've played it for a bit? Would be much appreciated.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 19:15.

38. Re: Whats the lowest price in retail stores? Oct 29, 2003, 19:02 Sphinx

Cheaters and what not will probably be addressed with an addition of Punkbuster (www.evenbalance.com) at some later date with a patch since it is a Q3 based game and PB is already used in SoF2 and the Wolfenstein series of games (RtCW and ET). It doesn't catch all the cheats probably but a good number of them.

The multiplayer doesn't really excite me after what I read on ign.com about how there is a team aspect of the game but it's one-life-to-live. Basically, once you die, you sit in limbo till end of round (counter-strike style). I'm more of an unlmited lives or limited lives player like what was in RtCW or ET with all the mixture of classes and things like that.

I hope there's a dedicated server component in the game so I can get that setup on my server box. I think that should start being standard opearting procedure in shooters like this.

-Sphinx
www.sphinx-sanitarium.com

-Sphinx

37. Re: Whats the lowest price in retail stores? Oct 29, 2003, 18:10 Malachii

I checked all my local stores (best buy, gamestop, EB) and none of them had it in yet. Oh well. I will pick this one up as I have not purchased a pc game in quite some time as the consoles have been getting a lot of my money.

36. Re: Whats the lowest price in retail stores? Oct 29, 2003, 17:23 Tim1_2

I'm guessing the multiplayer will be like MoHAA's, except functional. I didn't like it either...I'm sure CoD will be a single-player only game for me. I'll leave my WW2 online gaming to Day of Defeat - still the best squad-level combat simulator online.

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: Max Payne 2, NHL 2004, Counter-strike

Currently playing: DayZ

35. Re: EB & Best Buy don't have it Oct 29, 2003, 17:21 Hyperion

Hey, cool I checked in the Oaks.

34. Re: EB & Best Buy don't have it Oct 29, 2003, 17:01 IvyMike

Hey! I live in T.O. You just saved me some phone calls. Thanks!

P.S. Which E.B. did you check? The one in the Oaks or the new one across from the Auto Mall?

33. EB & Best Buy don't have it Oct 29, 2003, 16:34 Hyperion

Both my local EB and Best Buy didn't have it (Thousand Oaks, CA). EB told me they would have it tomorrow.

32. Got it? Oct 29, 2003, 16:24 UberJumper

Does anyone actually have a legit copy of this yet? If so, where'd you get it.

31. Whats the lowest price in retail stores? Oct 29, 2003, 14:33 Ant

I didn't see a sale yet like at Best Buy.

I wonder how the online multiplayer is compared to Battlefield 1942, Day of Defeat, etc. I didn't like Medal of Honor's multiplayer.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

30. Re: BOTS? Oct 29, 2003, 13:49 ReDeeMeR

Geese, I wont argue to each his own, I used to play with AI just because it's teh only good WW2 FPS-Simulator out there, I'm tired of cheap shit Quake3 games, I want BF1942, but sadly the AI is just pathetic and when you play LAN and keep losing cause your team mates are getting stuck in a wall or wont go and take the flag with you pisses off just about anyone.

PS: Bots need "special" support for each new maps WTF IS THAT?!! Back to Quake 2 days? I thought BF1942 bots were made by "profesionals" I guess I was wrong, DICE programmers suck pretty much like Gearbox

29. Re: lets hold hands!! Oct 29, 2003, 13:49 cia

Bot AI requires skill and finesse. UT and OFP both have done a fantastic job of simulating live opponents. Poor bot code like that found in Quake3 does not yeild the same experience.

With a HEAVILY scripted game such as this, bots would make the game worthwhile after playing through the scripts.

28. lets hold hands!! Oct 29, 2003, 13:21 space captain

pubescent means going through puberty - adults are post-pubescent

a little understanding might go alot farther than a dictionary definition - but thats only if you are interested in thinking for yourself... which has never really been in vogue

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo